Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Metro has written an article that calls out Sony’s alleged anti-consumer approach to the PS5.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/30/ps5-fans-should-demand-sony-consumer-friendly-microsoft-xbox-series-x-13192071/

It raises an interesting point about how die hard Sony fans always defend them despite their rigid stance on backwards compatibility, cross play etc when compared to Microsoft, when Sony’s only real advantage is their first party games that are developed by subsidiary companies anyway.

If Sony didn’t have these exclusives, would the PlayStation brand have any reason to exist? It’s worth considering particularly now that Sony is defining to bring its first party titles to PC.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

On PS4, PS3 BC can't easily be done, I would've liked PS2 and PS1 BC, but if it's not profitable for them, fair enough.

Cross play I thought they gave in on that.

That's all?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7147 Posts

Not after this they don’t.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

Yup, the panic is setting in for MS and their stans in the press. "But Microsoft are total angels, why don't you love them?!", while ignoring all the anti-consumer shit MS does themselves. Oh my god, no one cares about using old ass controllers on a new console and begging people to use Game Pass. And Sony was doing crossplay before MS. People want great looking games that play well for their next gen consoles.

MS has not delivered on this front, so enough with all the bullshit handicaps pleading a case to justify Microsoft's continued existence in the console market. Man, for a company that claims to be no longer worried about selling consoles, EVERYONE is worried if they'll sell consoles.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

It seems like the only people obsessed with Sony are the non-Sony fans. People just buy what they want. To me, backwards compatibility isn't really my top concern. I have a PS4, and have been playing PS4 for 7 years. It's one of those things that sound nice on paper, but I've already played most games I wanted to play on PS4. The only game I would want to play upscaled is Bloodborne, but even that I'd rather see remastered. As for crossplay, that's another overblown topic. The odds of me playing a game where I also know someone who has the same game, but has a different system, are slim.

I'm a Sony fan because they continue to make great consoles. And it's not just about Sony first party games, btw. The system gets massive support from third party and Japan. If Xbox made a great system that was compelling, I'd would consider it. Instead, they did the opposite, putting their games on PC. As for GamePass, don't really care about it. One of the reasons why it became popular is because Xbox was practically giving it away for $1 (heck I did that trial too). But as far as renting, don't care about renting games from MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Used to be a Hardcore Sony fan. Now my loyalty goes to PC first , then Sony.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3414 Posts

After 4 generations of delivering the goods, hell yes. MS is inconsistent and can kick rocks. Will still buy both platforms but only one on day one.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

corporate royalty is for fools

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No company deserves anything if they can't deliver.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

If you're loyal to any large company that would happily throw you under a bus to make money then you truly are a moron.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Loyalty to a gaming machine HaH

Real gamers play games.

None gamers refuse to play games on a system They see as a RIVAL?

#buybothsadacts

#HaH

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

Here's what I'll say to this. If its a brand you are familiar with who has gain your trust but also not a loyal fanboy, you have every right to voice your opinion on the company weather its good or bad. I own one of each numbered PlayStation consoles/handhelds, but I go where the good games are. I'm a fanboy of "games" and that's all you need to know. Brand loyalty is for dim people who don't have the intelligence to know better and it's a fools game to be label as blind fanboy.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

No one company deserves loyalty, just give me good games. I won't get an Xbox due to PC releases and if Sony did the same thing I wouldn't get a ps5. I like games not consoles.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#14 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2:

I don't care for backwards compatibility or cross-play. So I don't have a reason to hate Sony. I don't even use backwards compatibility on the Xbone. It's a luxury, not a necessity.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Sony has always had poor customer service. They’ve screwed me and I never went back. I had my account hacked, they refunded me, but said it was a one time thing because I ‘shared my account info’. This is a lie. My friends and family don’t even game. I don’t even know anyone with a ps3. It’s bad enough sony has lousy online security, it’s another to blame their customers. Screw them.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2074 Posts

Meh, backwards compatibility is not that important. I want to play PS5 games not go backwards.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

No Sony doesn't. Been begging for PS classics to be made available on PS4 for years now. Fucking sony its just bunch of PS1 & PS2 games running emulation.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

I am loyal to God, not to a secular corporation like Sony which I am not obligated to give allegiance to.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Lots of ego stroking in here.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No corporation deserves loyalty.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think the Xbox fans are starting to smell of desperation with all these half assed "bad news" headlines for Sony.

Look, if you guys want to buy an XSeX regardless that it won't have exclusive games for a couple years, that's fine. But lay off the BS threads.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1204 Posts

Let's see - they started charging for online, they didn't honor ANY digital PS3 purchases and no backwards compatibility and still can't guarantee all PS4 games will work on PS5. So yea I don't exactly consider them pro-consumer.

MS on the otherhand has done some good things but... that's probably only because they're in last place.

At the end of the day. they both only care about your money.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Companies don’t deserve my loyalty but they can earn my money. Give me a product that I like and I’ll buy it.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I’m not a tech expert, but from a purely information-input standpoint, is there any tangible reason Sony could not make DualShock 4 compatible with PlayStation 5 games, less the DualSense features? The Ratchet & Clank demo at Gamescom made it clear that some DualSense features would inform gameplay (although they did not say if missing these features would render the game unplayable), but this is the only example Sony has given to my knowledge. ADVERTISEMENT Top articles by Metro Game Of Thrones star Charles Dance ‘would sign petition’ to remake controversial final season. I would also be remiss not to mention that PlayStation 4 owners will have no cross-gen compatibility with first party games. This, to me, is madness. Admittedly, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart has some very legitimate reasons for not being able to function cross-gen, but what about Spider-Man: Miles Morales?

No. Adaptive Triggers and newer home console haptics to better augment gameplay than last gen's were also confirmed for other titles not just r&c.

Haven't seen a lot of Miles game yet so author shouldn't yet claim anything about that.

Yes. It's not not a bad idea to demand more.

Nah. There's MS to vanguard author's "last gen don't hold back" so at least there's that option.

Nah. I'd rather one company try their best to ditch last gens models so some devs can start designing around newer hardware. Not enough of that since a lot of focus are said to be for the big install bases including weak pcs, mobile and current gen base hardware.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@rzxv04: I'm trying to skip ad in your comment... not working.

lol I copy pasted and didn't notice that. I'll fix it. Thanks.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

It was a huge wasted opportunity not to build off the digital PS1 and PS2 classics catalog built on PS3, not bring it over to PS4, expand on it. On PS3 the previous generations BC games are just original game ISO running on an emulator, PS4 has those, so really only need is for the legal paperwork, getting publishers to sign off, maybe some testing, but a project they could have started a few years ago and be back up to speed on.

I think a few things hindered a smooth BC transition most. One of these was push toward for enhanced emulation and trophies for BC games, and desire to use this to justify charging a lot more for BC games. They also wanted to push PS Now, what better way than to deny everyone access to their BC library.

They mostly wanted to make PS Now a success, cheated their customers to force them into the service. They had no desire to do traditional BC because they didn't consider a MS a threat and believe that their uncontested market lead gave them free reign to do whatever they wanted.

Contrast Sony a few years ago to now, and now that they will launch next gen on more equal footing, you can see they want to leave no discerning feature gap. Competition keeps these companies honest. Recovering from rejection by consumers keeps them innovative. Being a market leader typically fosters complacency and arrogance, seems to be the cycle.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

cows cant catch a break

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

I don’t think making games exclusively for next gen is anti consumer. It will free developers and likely lead to a better end product. What’s anti-consumer about that? Same with the controller. Not having to check that all features still work on DS4 means one less thing for developers to worry about.

Better games = pro consumer

(just ask Craig)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

Loyalty to companies is just dumb. This loyalty is what allow companies do do dumb shit. Fanboys are the real problem.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I don't think any company deserves loyalty. All of them have good and bad products.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

That article is trying real hard to make something out of nothing

That's because the article is from Metro and Metro is mostly just tabloids trying to add agenda. But the OP itself served its purpose for this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Yup, the panic is setting in for MS and their stans in the press. "But Microsoft are total angels, why don't you love them?!", while ignoring all the anti-consumer shit MS does themselves. Oh my god, no one cares about using old ass controllers on a new console and begging people to use Game Pass. And Sony was doing crossplay before MS. People want great looking games that play well for their next gen consoles.

MS has not delivered on this front, so enough with all the bullshit handicaps pleading a case to justify Microsoft's continued existence in the console market. Man, for a company that claims to be no longer worried about selling consoles, EVERYONE is worried if they'll sell consoles.

You prove the OP's point, you don't EVER question Sony instead attack its competition.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#35  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

no company is gonna get my loyalty. I go with what games interest me, not who makes it/publishes it.
Same thing with consoles, I go with the console that has the games I want to play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@Telekill said:

I think the Xbox fans are starting to smell of desperation with all these half assed "bad news" headlines for Sony.

Look, if you guys want to buy an XSeX regardless that it won't have exclusive games for a couple years, that's fine. But lay off the BS threads.

That's hilarious, have you not seen your boy protoss post 500 anti Xbox threads in the last 2 weeks???

And 2yrs without any exclusives, is just BS from you, you should smell the shit your shoveling.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Telekill

@i_p_daily: You must have missed where I've been calling them out as well. If I see BS, I call it out. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Telekill said:

@i_p_daily: You must have missed where I've been calling them out as well. If I see BS, I call it out. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

You also make up BS, do you really believe MS won't release a first party game on the SeX until November 2022 at the earliest?

If so can you back that up with proof?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49565 Posts

No corporation deserves unwavering loyalty to an inanimate object.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

lol no company deserves loyalty , that's just pathetic and sad.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Telekill

@i_p_daily: I honestly don't care. Also, I don't pull stuff out of my ass. I respond to others.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Xbox charges 100 dollars a year for Xbox Live Gold right now - Archangel said that they were just retooling and wouldn't charge more before a new console launch and Pedro said they are gearing up to go free to play. Neither happened its still 100 dollars a year and they asked for the thread about it to be closed down as "old news" so they didn't have to respond to it anymore.

PS+ is 60 dollars a year and has way better free games per month and just better deals across the board.

You can play free to play games like fortnite for free on PS4 without PS+ Microsoft makes fortnite gamers pay 100 dollars a year to play it.

Xbox used to make people pay for live to be able to watch their Netflix you couldn't watch your Netflix shows without paying microsoft 60 dollars a year.

The Playstation controllers come with a rechargeable cable and rechargeable batteries.

The launch xbox one controllers didn't come with bluetooth, headphone jack, and came with 2 AA Batteries and no rechargeable battery or cord so you were screwed when they died.

Microsoft forced people to pay extra 100 dollars for kinect.

Microsoft using cheap faulty hardware instead of premium brands like the Thompson drive on original xbox which stopped reading my discs and had to send to repair.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
Member since 2020 • 293 Posts

"Bu....bu.....but why do you like Sony? Why don't you like MS?"

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

Sure, why not? Any brand would hope for brand loyalty and Sony has achieved it. It is a GOOD thing for these companies. No opinion articles will change that. I'm getting pretty tired of trends these days trying to paint it like it's a bad thing, because that's anti-consumer more than anything.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Metro has written an article that calls out Sony’s alleged anti-consumer approach to the PS5.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/30/ps5-fans-should-demand-sony-consumer-friendly-microsoft-xbox-series-x-13192071/

It raises an interesting point about how die hard Sony fans always defend them despite their rigid stance on backwards compatibility, cross play etc when compared to Microsoft, when Sony’s only real advantage is their first party games that are developed by subsidiary companies anyway.

If Sony didn’t have these exclusives, would the PlayStation brand have any reason to exist? It’s worth considering particularly now that Sony is defining to bring its first party titles to PC.

In a nutshell, no. If Sony didn't have great console exclusive franchises, I wouldn't care about the PlayStation brand. Same goes for Nintendo, Sega, SNK, NEC and Microsoft's game divisions respectfully. As for backwards compatibility, I could really care less about the feature because I have nearly every console since the NES. I'm the type of guy that after I complete a challenge, I'm ready for the next step. Of course there's nothing wrong with going back and reliving good times but after I run though a game, it's shelved.

Furthermore, what's so anti consumer about a model that's been practiced for years. Plus, they have streaming services (PSNOW, GAMEPASS) for those that don't own older consoles. I can't pop a Switch cartridge into my Wii U or a Wii disc into my GameCube yet no one is coming at Nintendo for being anti consumer. Articles like this are just silly because people forget that the PS4 has what's called the "share" button...one of the most consumer friendly ideas to hit in years. Allowing anyone to pick up where I left off was genius.

Where's the articles about that?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Mmmm. That sweet rent free life. 24/7 baby! Woooo! 😅

By the way I said that I THOUGHT that they might be retooling or something, not that they WERE. 😅

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Exactly!

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

By the way I said that I THOUGHT that they might be retooling or something, not that they WERE. 😅

You have a lot of "strange" thoughts. You still haven't called xbox out for charging 100 dollars a year. Were you paying per year for gold and are you doing the 3 month plans now or what?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@Archangel3371 said:

You have a lot of "strange" thoughts. You still haven't called xbox out for charging 100 dollars a year. Were you paying per year for gold and are you doing the 3 month plans now or what?

Coming from Gamespot's imbecile, being called "strange" bares no weight.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Exclusives are pro consumer to me, it is just a matter of perspective.