Does Sony have the best protagonists in the biz?

• 116 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

When I think of Sony's first party, I think of how many great characters their first party has. You have Alloy, an amazonian robot Dino killer.

You have Jin Sakai, badass samurai rebel dude.

Kratos, everyone's favorite God of War and uhh, video game dad? BOI!

Then there's killer teenager Elli from Last of Us

And of course, adventurer Nathan Drake voiced by the impeccable Nolan North.

And the list goes on really, but I think you get the picture. It just seems like Sony is leagues ahead of most companies when it comes to protagonists in this industry. Wouldn't you agree, SW?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

Kratos is a badass... Alloy is OK. I liked her story etc... The rest of that crew does nothing for me.

I really don't see Ellie or anyone from last of us being a protagonist that Sony builds brand on like master chief and Mario have done. Not sure everyone even finds her likable let alone marketable as a mascot or standout protagonist.

I dunno... I think it's maybe "eye of the beholder" type stuff... Sony has various protagonists, but few stay with me after gaming. I'd prefer retiring Nathan drake for good were it up to me, but I digress!

Comparatively to Xbox and Nintendo, Sony has likable characters for sure.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

NO

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Not really, Kratos yeah the rest have no charisma.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

None of those are anywhere near as iconic as Master Chief or Mario. Kratoss is the closest thing Sony has, but his appeal and his lore pale when compared to them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

LOL, no. Probably the most forgettable.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:

None of those are anywhere near as iconic as Master Chief or Mario.

Maybe if this was 2005 🤣

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46271 Posts

Yeah people loved playing as Abby. Sony understands like no other what fans want to play as.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

@nagaman: New account, less than 100 posts, Halo fanboy...

The moment you praise Sony's superior characters and franchises, the Lemmings fire up their dup accounts and come out in full force. 😆

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah people loved playing as Abby. Sony understands like no other what fans want to play as.

You wish Abby would put you in a headlock.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Short answer... No!!

Long answer..... Nopperzzz. :P

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Not as iconic as some but yeah they are definitely best leading man/woman in great video games.

I also enjoys that these characters tends to have an ending compared to other studios work. It just felt good after few games together you know there's a bit of finality. Well except kratos of course since he somehows still kicks ass.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I dont know about best protagonists, but they at least have complete story archs.

I really enjoyed Selene's story in Returnal

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic

@Star67 said:

I dont know about best protagonists, but they at least have complete story archs.

I really enjoyed Selene's story in Returnal

Yea, Selene is another great character. Returnal has one of the coolest stories!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

No they dont. they are generic.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Why make this thread when the answer is clearly Nintendo?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@Juub1990 said:

Why make this thread when the answer is clearly Nintendo?

For 10 year olds, can see that argument. Can't really see it beyond that, sorry 🤷‍♂️

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

No. That would be Nintendo.

I would also take Master Chief and the Gears of War crew over any of Sony’s protagonists as well. Nathan Drake is ok. Alloy is probably ok as well. Need to play Horizon Zero Dawn first though to know for sure.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sealionact

@SolidGame_basic: Since 2005. Pretty sure most people would have no idea who the Sony protagonists are. Nathan Drake and Ellie are totally bland, Eloy has one game under her belt and like I said, Kratoss is the only one who stands out as being a good protagonist.

Think you’ll find Cows will agree with you, while the rest won’t. Master Chief may have taken a break as King after Halo 5, but he’s back and he’s pissed.

Welp, At least he’s wearing a mask.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

:P

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Kratos and Drake are tops.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Who's that?

@mysticaldonut said:

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: Since 2005. Pretty sure most people would have no idea who the Sony protagonists are. Nathan Drake and Ellie are totally bland, Eloy has one game under her belt and like I said, Kratoss is the only one who stands out as being a good protagonist.

Think you’ll find Cows will agree with you, while the rest won’t. Master Chief may have taken a break as King after Halo 5, but he’s back and he’s pissed.

Hmmm ok, so if sealionact thinks a character is bland, that means nobody knows who they are. Making sense then. Meanwhile, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, selling millions and winning awards. 😎

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysticalDonut

@gym_lion:

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MysticalDonut

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

Hmmm ok, so if sealionact thinks a character is bland, that means nobody knows who they are. Making sense then. Meanwhile, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, selling millions and winning awards. 😎

I've been playing the Halo Infinite campaign and Master Chief is very bland with a bland voice actor.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

While I enjoy Alloy as a badass character and here being the answer to Mad Max was a great way to introduce the character was really great on both Guerilla Games/Sony, so she get's my vote the most.

Nathan Drake is good in my books whenever it comes to Uncharted franchise. Cole & Delsin from both Infamous games were interesting in their own right. I think the only Sony character that doesn't get more love or recognized is Galahad from Order: 1886. I for one like his character, he had so much potential but the game itself wasn't convincing to warrant a sequel.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

TC and his coping threads.😂🤣

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46271 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

You wish Abby would put you in a headlock.

Abby can break my kneecaps any day ;)

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sealionact

@SolidGame_basic: Just mirroring what others are saying - sorry if it doesn’t fit your idea of a good protagonist. Kratoss was so dull they had to add a sidekick mini me to liven things up….and look what sidekicks did for Scooby Doo.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MysticalDonut

@davillain-: It's a shame reviews killed that game but it's also a shame they tried to sell it for $60. Could have at least included a co-op mode or a PvP of The Order vs The Rebels or something along the lines of that. Ready At Dawn had a trilogy planned out before Sony canned it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Archangel3371: Maybe not the Gears crew but Master Chief is better and more iconic than any Sony character lol.

Kinda funny despite Sony’s immense success in the game industry, they haven’t managed to produce one character who became a household name.

Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Konami, and several others did.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@Juub1990: Yeah, Master Chief is definitely more iconic. The Gears crew isn’t more iconic but I just prefer them over Sony’s offerings on a personal level.

Definitely a lot of third party’s protagonist offerings as well. Would also put Capcom very high on the list too.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic

@Juub1990 said:

@Archangel3371: Maybe not the Gears crew but Master Chief is better and more iconic than any Sony character lol.

Kinda funny despite Sony’s immense success in the game industry, they haven’t managed to produce one character who became a household name.

Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Konami, and several others did.

Uh-huh, that's why Uncharted has its own movie now, right? 😇

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: No, Nintendo does.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Nintendo is the clear winner.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2065 Posts

Sony doesn't make outright bad characters/protagonists but they are certainly less prone to mass market penetration, Gamer or non gamer Mario, Luigi, sonic, Pikachu etc. are instantly recognisable by multiple generations, The master chief or "the halo dude" again widely recognised but not to same extent as Nintendo's, and lastly Sony's characters are known within gaming but their penetration beyond the core gaming demographic is probably the most limited.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic

@sonny2dap said:

Sony doesn't make outright bad characters/protagonists but they are certainly less prone to mass market penetration, Gamer or non gamer Mario, Luigi, sonic, Pikachu etc. are instantly recognisable by multiple generations, The master chief or "the halo dude" again widely recognised but not to same extent as Nintendo's, and lastly Sony's characters are known within gaming but their penetration beyond the core gaming demographic is probably the most limited.

Recognizable /= has the best protagonist.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

spiderman is sonys best protagonist, followed by cloud, kratos and nathan drake. Though to be honest, kratos is a dumb character too...hes not as well known as hercules, ares or zeus in greek mythology. Kratos is actually a nobody in greek myth, which makes me wonder why the devs didn't just go with hercules or ares instead. Probably some kind of copyright issue. Nathan Drake is a great protagonist though not many will know him. The rest are forgettable.

Mario, link from zelda, pikachu, samus, these are big names that everybody knows. Heck, if nintendo didn't hold such a tight leash on their characters, disney would have bought nintendos entire stock a long ass time ago. Im sure they tried a hundred times in the past. Master Chief too is pretty much an iconic hero character. The fact that microsoft was able to pull it off, honestly they got super lucky with it. And the reason is because his character traits make him the ideal...hes pretty much a walking talking captain america on steroids. MS really has only that one iconic character, but its enough to topple all of sonys entire stock besides spiderman, and id say MC is even good enough to put it on the same level as nintendos best.

although I think spiderman is sonys best protagonist...but when people think spiderman, they don't associate him with playstation either.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Dad Kratos is cool, i'll give you that ... I also liked Alloy, i thought she was badass for an open world protagonist. Rest are meh ... really, really, really, really meh.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MysticalDonut
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

spiderman is sonys best protagonist, followed by cloud, kratos and nathan drake. Though to be honest, kratos is a dumb character too...hes not as well known as hercules, ares or zeus in greek mythology. Kratos is actually a nobody in greek myth, which makes me wonder why the devs didn't just go with hercules or ares instead. Probably some kind of copyright issue. Nathan Drake is a great protagonist though not many will know him. The rest are forgettable.

Mario, link from zelda, pikachu, samus, these are big names that everybody knows. Heck, if nintendo didn't hold such a tight leash on their characters, disney would have bought nintendos entire stock a long ass time ago. Im sure they tried a hundred times in the past. Master Chief too is pretty much an iconic hero character. The fact that microsoft was able to pull it off, honestly they got super lucky with it. And the reason is because his character traits make him the ideal...hes pretty much a walking talking captain america on steroids. MS really has only that one iconic character, but its enough to topple all of sonys entire stock besides spiderman, and id say MC is even good enough to put it on the same level as nintendos best.

although I think spiderman is sonys best protagonist...but when people think spiderman, they don't associate him with playstation either.

What drugs are you taking that would make you say not many will know Nathan Drake while also saying Samus is a big name?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Kratos is cool, Aloy is decent.

The rest made me kinda... cringe.

Most of Sony's stuff just feels too... generic.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blaznwiipspman1

@mysticaldonut said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

What drugs are you taking that would make you say not many will know Nathan Drake while also saying Samus is a big name?

Samus is one of nintendos weakest ip, but still id say shes iconic and more well known almost all of sonys biggest protagonists haha. Its sad, but the truth.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blaznwiipspman1

honestly, I feel like MS is sitting on a gold mine with master chief. They are only now dipping their toes into a halo tv series. They should have cashed in on MC, and made some movies a long time ago. Though I guess MS doesn't care one way or another, they have more cash than almost anyone.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I told you SW. Vote for Sony games at TGA. You didn't, now have fun with countless threads by TC.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic

@pc_rocks said:

I told you SW. Vote for Sony games at TGA. You didn't, now have fun with countless threads by TC.

chromebook gamer still pissed that Sony won't port their games to Chromebook 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@pc_rocks said:

chromebook gamer still pissed that Sony won't port their games to Chromebook 🤣

Seems like you confirmed his suspicion.😂🤣