Does Sony even want to win this gen.?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bamafan1359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bamafan1359
Member since 2008 • 487 Posts
I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
No one on these boards seemed to come to terms that people outside of gaming forums had no interest or little knowledge about LBP, no one listened. Sony's commercials didnt tell what the game was about, so people outside of the niche market ignored it. Pretty obvious it was going to end up this way.
lightlink7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lightlink7
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. bamafan1359

You know what I'm really pissed off at Sony's attitude this gen, they just act as if having the sony brand will automatically make their consoles sell. Seriously in the UK I see adverts for the Xbox 360 everyday advertising the price and that it can download movies, I have seen no adverts for resistance 2, LBP or anything sony related the last time I saw a PS3 advert was for MGS4. Now I know all of you will say Sony does not have piles of money to advertise, but come on they need to at least make an effort in letting people know their games actually EXIST. There was no advertising for the PSP 3000 here either, I just feel that Sony is just not being serious enough this gen and they really need to step up and make a greater effort.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fawlcon_Pawnch
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
Win what? :?
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. bamafan1359

You got to be kidding me, Sony didn't market Little Big Planet :lol:

Little Big Planet got held back a week (or more) because of some mucis issues in the game, some people got the game on time, some didnt, basically the launch got messed up.

bamafan1359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bamafan1359

[QUOTE="bamafan1359"]I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. CubanBlunt

Little Big Planet got held back a week (or more) because of some mucis issues in the game, some people got the game on time, some didnt, basically the launch got messed up.

Launch got messed up is not their problem. Either way the game has been out for a few days and the thing is, no one knows about this game. As hopefalls said, nobody outside of these forums knows about LBP. I have talked to some of my gaming friends that aren't as serious as me or anything and they didn't have a clue about LBP. Sony should have been marketing this game 2+ weeks before the game even released. But no, they thought that word of mouth would win their sells.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CubanBlunt
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="bamafan1359"]I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. bamafan1359

Launch got messed up is not their problem. Either way the game has been out for a few days and the thing is, no one knows about this game. As hopefalls said, nobody outside of these forums knows about LBP. I have talked to some of my gaming friends that aren't as serious as me or anything and they didn't have a clue about LBP. Sony should have been marketing this game 2+ weeks before the game even released. But no, they thought that word of mouth would win their sells.

USA Today did a story about the game, Sony made Sackboy Sony's mascott, people know about this game. But hey, if you belive that then go ahead.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

I dunno why this is such a shock. :|

For a start Fable is better than LBP anyway and secondly, the average joe does not care about making levels, woopey i can create a level, they'd rather play the game and I'm not talking the ridiculessly short campaign in LBP.

Fable offers much more for them.

CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CubanBlunt

I dunno why this is such a shock. :|

For a start Fable is better than LBP anyway and secondly, the average joe does not care about making levels, woopey i can create a level, they'd rather play the game and I'm not talking the ridiculessly short campaign in LBP.

Fable offers much more for them.

CreepyBacon

Thats said, you bash the game and dont know a thing about it.

Avatar image for ULTIMATEZWARRIO
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
Member since 2004 • 6026 Posts
yea, there are barely any advertisements, besides the rare Ps3 commercial where they show like 5 games at once, but even then i haven't seen those lately, there are a lot more 360 commercials though
bamafan1359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bamafan1359
[QUOTE="bamafan1359"][QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="bamafan1359"]I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. CubanBlunt

USA Today did a story about the game, Sony made Sackboy Sony's mascott, people know about this game. But hey, if you belive that then go ahead.

USA Today did a story?? Wow, that definitely means it is going to sell millions. Let me guess, it was on page 12, where nobody could see it? So, if Sony did make Sackboy their mascot, then why does nobody know about him? Are you suggesting that nobody cares about Sony anymore?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#12 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Sony wants to win, but the PS3 is still too expensive for that to happen.....just as I've been saying since 2006

Right now, Sony/PS3 stands to lose over 50% of its marketshare this gen. :D

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
yea, there are barely any advertisements, besides the rare Ps3 commercial where they show like 5 games at once, but even then i haven't seen those lately, there are a lot more 360 commercials thoughULTIMATEZWARRIO
I've been seeing the Motorstorm 2 commercial alot. Plus, there was an ad about it in the latest issue of Maxim.
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
What Sony needs is a new head in their marketing divisoin, they especially need to work on their advertisement, if people don't see/know, then they can't buy
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
i always did find it odd that cows actually thought LPB was a system seller. its just not a game that has gotten alot of people interested for it except in SW, and id imagine sales will reflect that IMO.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'm in the UK and I saw a commercial for Motorstrom 2 in the cinema the other week, which surprised me. Nothing since then though. My guess is that they will wait until November/early December to start advertising seriously. Last year I remember seeing a lot of ads for Uncharted and a few for Ratchet and Clank.
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
[QUOTE="ULTIMATEZWARRIO"]yea, there are barely any advertisements, besides the rare Ps3 commercial where they show like 5 games at once, but even then i haven't seen those lately, there are a lot more 360 commercials thoughno_handlebars
I've been seeing the Motorstorm 2 commercial alot. Plus, there was an ad about it in the latest issue of Maxim.

actually, you are right, but that is the only commercial i have seen for a ps3 game for a while
SteezyZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteezyZ
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

The LBP commercials shown, as rare as they are, are just plain bad. They just show some random shots of platforming characters in even more random dresses/gettups on levels that look like they were designed by someone on a bad trip.

Unfortunately, they would actually have to explain what the game is to get people interested, but Sony seems more interested in trying to build up some "What is Fun?" tagline that a marketing person came up with (and who clearly didn't play the game).

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

I wouldn't put much faith into LBP sales since it was a botched release.

Besides that I do think Sony has sort of given up on this gen. Next gen my guess is they are going to really try hard to get a very affordable console with great launch games. No price cut this year to me sounds like they are giving in to being 3rd place this gen.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

[QUOTE="bamafan1359"]I know that VGChartz is not the most reliable source out there, but they aren't that badly off. They have Fable II selling 1.1 million and LBP 165k in their first weeks. Now this seems strange to me because on the Bonus Round (GameTrailers) Michael Patcher predicted that LBP would have great sells and Fable II's sells would most likely be disappointing. Now I started to think why LBP had such crap sells and realized that Sony did not market this game, AT ALL! I think I saw only one commercial for the game and I watch TV a lot. Opposed to Fable II, which I saw many commercials for it. Is Sony even going to try and push its biggest game of the year? Or are they going to rely on people picking up a new game, that hasn't really been done before on consoles. bamafan1359

Actualy,thats true

I also talked to one of my friends who actualy LOVE PlayStation and he didnt knew about LBP :S

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
Thats bec its a crap side scroller game that no1 outside forums cares about bec those ppl have brainds.Only reason it was hyped so much here was bec sony ppl dont have anything else big comming their way so all fanboys begans to hype every bit of crap out there
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
All they seemed to care about was pushing the Blu Ray format this gen.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
[QUOTE="CubanBlunt"]

Thats b/c it wasnt released in Europe and UK and Asia >__>
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
Thats bec its a crap side scroller game that no1 outside forums cares about bec those ppl have brainds.Only reason it was hyped so much here was bec sony ppl dont have anything else big comming their way so all fanboys begans to hype every bit of crap out theresandeep410
Nothing else big coming their way? Resistance 2? Killzone 2? Those two aren't big? Guess I'm missing a "braind" cause I care about. I guess The Lion, The Tinman, Dorothy, Toto and I are going to have to to the Wizard of Oz. I take it you know the way, you do have a "braind" after all.
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Yes
chrissp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 chrissp7
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
Part of the reason is that the launch was messed up. If it had been on time, I would have had it on the 21st, but my favourite retailer still doesnt have it in stock as of now, so I'm without a copy. Plus: the fact that its a new ip and a 2d platformer with kiddy(although charming and awesome to me) atmosphere. It's like a developer doesn't like money when they do that.