Does NX stand a chance against PS4/X1 in their prime?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

Assuming NX comes out this gen, will it stand a chance against PS4 and X1 in their prime? They will have reached their peak market penetration and all of the good exclusives will be out by then. I ask you SW because you guys are the experts.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

If somehow they get 3rd party, maybe

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

We don't even know anything about it, so it's too early to make any judgment.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Well if it is supposed to be legitimately powerful, then it will have to be on par with the PS5 and whatever new MS console, not just current gen consoles. This gen won't last much longer. I give it 2 years.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
@xdude85 said:

It is easy, all we have to know is that it is Nintendo that stand behind it, instant fail right there by default.

With fail i mean they will not beat Ps4/Xbox, but they may go profit tho

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

if its significantly more powerful priced $400 and a controller thats not weird then it stands a good chance. Get third party games (not ports of 2 year old games) then they can succeed

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I believe it could only if it has significantly superior graphical power.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

How do I know if I know very little about the NX. Everything is pure speculation.

And by the way, do we have enough speculaton threads already on the NX?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo would never allow the Destiny style 3rd party bullshit to take place.....so 3rd party developers won't go there.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Well it has to be able to keep up to whatever Sony and Microsoft release next, which it wont, which means it will be dead last again, plus this is Nintendo were talking about, they dont care what you or I think or want, if they wanted to release a console that only ran indies, they would.

Nintendo need to keep stretching the WiiU until near the release of the next PS and Xbox, if they can do that, and fix the other hundred issues they have, then they will stand a chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, it's hard to answer, if only because we don't fucking know what NX is.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Heirren said:

Nintendo would never allow the Destiny style 3rd party bullshit to take place.....so 3rd party developers won't go there.

Sure they would. They've tried season passes, nickel and diming dlc, and amiibo are a thing.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

Nope. The Nx will fail. Miyamoto is already saying that affordability is the most important thing, so that automatically means a low power RISC chip. No one is going to develop for it. Nintendo needs to drop its home console aspirations and start doing what it does best, making games, and it needs to do it for the established players.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Their only shot is to:

Make a system powerful enough to run current gen multiplats. So at least an XBone.

Make it easy enough to port current gen multiplats to. So probably jump on the x86 bandwagon.

Repair relationships with multiplat devs that have suffered from decades of neglect and/or abuse.

Nothing is impossible, but Nintendo has had a habit of getting in its own way.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Going in between gens is stupid, see Dreamcast.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Damn man, about time you got an avi.

And while the "we don't know shit about it" answer is correct, I'd still bet squarely on no.

I don't expect them to put out some beastly hardware. I don't expect them to gain a massive 3rd party following. If they go the gimmick route, I still don't expect them to see Wii success.

Which is all good with me really. I only buy consoles for exclusives and Nintendo murders the competition in that regard. If they put out another flimsy box with strong 1st party stuff and the occasional 3rd party gem, that's enough for me.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#18 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I wouldn't consider the prime of the XO or PS4 to be very awe-inspiring. Just a few more triangles on the screen at a time.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

As long as its at least as powerful of the PS4, and easy to dev for. and port for. 3nd party is all up to Nintendo to get back. Hard to say If they will put in the effort or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Chozofication said:
@Heirren said:

Sure they would. They've tried season passes, nickel and diming dlc, and amiibo are a thing.

The only season pass I'm aware of is the Mario Golf 3DS one which didn't over well. Apparently it must have been some kind of test as the game released at 10 dollars less than a typical 3DS game to cover the dlc cost. Not sure where the nickel and diming is......I think there's one 3ds game I forget the name of. Anyways Nintendo have done nothing close to what goes on at ms/sony.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Has to position itself in a way for third parties to A) easily port to and B) have a low barrier of entry, business-wise.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

This is the worst prime I've ever seen if any system runs multiplats better than ps4 that system is dead nobody wants almost zero exclusives it's running.

If NX launches at 400 dollars runs Fallout 4 at 1080p 60 FPS doubling ps4's and comes out with Zelda NX on release day im throwing my ps4 out the window. - Fairthweather average gamer who wants the best looking version of games and loves ninty's first party like zelda

It's time for nintendo to return to the SNES days the people hate sony and microsoft they want the white knight they want the hero to save industry they are sick of sonys kickstarters and games in 3 years in the pipeline and the 30 fps

they want 60 fps - the average joe gamer

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Heirren: season pass - hyrule warriors + 3 or more pre order bonuses

nickel and diming - Pikmin 3 (you may think the dlc is good but it was a tiny amount of content compared to the extra's in pikmin 2)

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Assuming it'll be the equivalent of a PS4.5, it may actually get some 3rd party support. But not as much compared to the PS4 and X1 in their prime with their much larger install bases. Then as usual Sony and MS will announce their next gen consoles and the NX will be forgotten.

Will Nintendo never learn to coincide their next gen reveals with the big dogs? I don't think they can handle another console failure.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Dangerous position to be in... if they release something STRONGER than the X1 and PS4 and only plan on having about a 5 year or less generation with it, then they give themselves 2-3 year as the top power console, and about 2-3 as the weakest before being the FIRST to do it all over again. If done correctly they could really knock it out of the park... however, the problem with making the console a LOT more powerful than this generation of machines already out is the same as the WiiU's problem now only in reverse. If it doesn't have games built for it's stronger hardware then it is pointless unless it has scaling options like a PC. External memory options are vital... and a SIGNIFICANT boost to online capabilities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@xdude85 said:

^

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

the odds of Nintendo finding some magic formula of success with that console are staggeringly low.

What would a successful NX look like? To me it would be something that would cost too much for Nintendo to be comfortable with. They will try something unorthodox again.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

It ultimately seems like a repeat of the Wii U situation. People are already invested in either the Sony/Microsoft ecosystem and would probably rather wait for their successor consoles. And being honest here, Sony already has third party support this gen wrapped up. Contrary to the belief that Nintendo needs to concentrate on going toe to toe with MS and Sony, their best bet is really just to continue designing unique, cheap consoles and hope that they resonate with the public.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Exclusives or just in general? Because I believe that NX will be stronger than PS4/Xbox One, so general support shouldn't be a problem

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#30 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

No cause the others will be flooding out with AAA games and the bar will be to high.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#31 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No idea. I need to know more about it first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Chozofication said:

@Heirren: season pass - hyrule warriors + 3 or more pre order bonuses

nickel and diming - Pikmin 3 (you may think the dlc is good but it was a tiny amount of content compared to the extra's in pikmin 2)

I have not bought Hyrule Warriors yet but I've only heard good things about the dlc content. Bottom line is that the core game is always there. Same goes for Pikmin.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#33  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Assuming NX comes out this gen, will it stand a chance against PS4 and X1 in their prime? They will have reached their peak market penetration and all of the good exclusives will be out by then. I ask you SW because you guys are the experts.

How can the next gen console by Nintendo come out "this gen"? You must be one of those people that says Wii was PS2/Xbox/GC gen and WiiU was 360/PS3/Wii gen. Some where Nintendo is supposed to have two consoles in one generation? That's not how it works. When NX releases it will begin the 9th console gen unless another home console new to the market releases before it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cainetao11

@Heirren said:
@Chozofication said:
@Heirren said:

The only season pass I'm aware of is the Mario Golf 3DS one which didn't over well. Apparently it must have been some kind of test as the game released at 10 dollars less than a typical 3DS game to cover the dlc cost. Not sure where the nickel and diming is......I think there's one 3ds game I forget the name of. Anyways Nintendo have done nothing close to what goes on at ms/sony.

Including sell their current gen console. Year head start and getting bitch slapped at the market by both.

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic: Damn man, about time you got an avi.

And while the "we don't know shit about it" answer is correct, I'd still bet squarely on no.

I don't expect them to put out some beastly hardware. I don't expect them to gain a massive 3rd party following. If they go the gimmick route, I still don't expect them to see Wii success.

Which is all good with me really. I only buy consoles for exclusives and Nintendo murders the competition in that regard. If they put out another flimsy box with strong 1st party stuff and the occasional 3rd party gem, that's enough for me.

Cool, but why would that satisfy the company? Nintendo murders with exclusives that you want to play but it shit sure isn't impressing the bosses there or they wouldn't be calling their own console a failure. Other than Bayo 2 and hopefully Zelda I don't care for them

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I highly doubt Nintendo will position the NX to directly compete with the PS4/XB1. It just wouldn't make sense since it will most likely launch in 2017 when the PS4/XB1 will be in their prime as the thread states. They have to position it as a unique gaming experience that is different enough to get people interested. If it is just a PS4/XB1 with a Nintendo logo it will fail hard. There is no room for a third "Me Too" product.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Nintendo needs to stop releasing consoles that are only comparable to what will be considered current gen specs. Nobody will buy a new console if all it can pump out is something equivalent to what is already being played. New consoles need to supply fresh experiences and top notch visuals and gameplay. I would say that as hard as it might be, Nintendo needs to ride the WIIU until 2017 or even 2018 at a minimum. Im not expecting Sony or MS to bring a new console until probably 2018 at the earliest.

Nintendo needs to go head to head with the big dogs and stop being an also ran!! They need to get third party support and some big exclusives that aren't Mario or Zelda related! They need to stop trying to be cute, stop reinventing the wheel everytime they launch a console. and give gamers what they want!!

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

I see it getting perhaps N64 levels of success. However, by the time NX hits trhe shelves, the PS4 and X1 will have a decent library (one would hope). NX will be starting the no games train all over again for a good few months after it's release. Not even sure. The odds are against Nintendo though unfortunately.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

You guys need to understand one thing. There is absolutely no reason for Nintendo to launch a beastly machine given that their games are never really tech pushers. They design their consoles with their first party studios in mind, not third party. The previous President of Nintendo once stated that third parties are useless companies back when the Gamecube launched. They really don't want third party games on their consoles. It is quite obvious. Below is a direct quote taken from former President of Nintendo Hiroshi Yamauchi back in 2000 I believe.

"I've been told that Sony won over Nintendo by surrounding itself with software companies, and I will admit that situation was there in the past. However, times have changed, and it's no longer a race to see how many useless companies you can get on your side. There are many people in the industry that know nothing about games. In particular, an American company is trying to do the same thing by engulfing software houses with money, but I don't believe that will go well. It looks like they'll sell their game system next year, but we'll see the answer to that the following year,"

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@emgesp said:

You guys need to understand one thing. There is absolutely no reason for Nintendo to launch a beastly machine given that their games are never really tech pushers. They design their consoles with their first party studios in mind, not third party. The previous President of Nintendo once stated that third parties are useless companies back when the Gamecube launched. They really don't want third party games on their consoles. It is quite obvious.

Way to gimp your system, alienate devs, push customers away, and give your competitors a major push.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

It´s probably something not to powerfull with two gloves, multi touch screens, some colorfull lights and a round thing you will have to balance on your nose called the WIi Too so no .

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

No........it is just one more failure like the WiiU.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Well, it's hard to answer, if only because we don't fucking know what NX is.

we could always assume..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8045 Posts

With the combined might of Nintendo first-party titles and potentially more powerful hardware for multiplats, the NX could be amazing.. The only questions are whether or not the lack of install base versus the PS4 and Xbox One will be a hindrance to 3rd party support and whether or not Nintendo will create an online multiplayer service on par with PSN and Xbox Live..

Price-point will be another key factor.. By the time the NX releases, both the PS4 and Xbox One could be due for a round of price-cuts.. If they come out the gate at a much higher price than the competition, that wouldn't be good (just ask Microsoft.. well, I guess you can ask Sony too in terms of the PS3 launch pricing)..

Even at the best case scenario, Nintendo is going to be in a weird spot since they will have re-positioned themselves in an off-set of the console life cycles of their competition.. Sure, they'll have the hardware advantage for the next couple of years (assuming they even decide to use cutting edge tech in the first place) but a short time after that, the PS5 and next Xbox will launch with much better hardware.. But then, presumably, the NX will then have the higher install base and the price advantage in comparison to the new systems. It will be weird and interesting to see that play out..

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

They already pissed off.people who bought the wii u

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner

@cainetao11 said:

Cool, but why would that satisfy the company? Nintendo murders with exclusives that you want to play but it shit sure isn't impressing the bosses there or they wouldn't be calling their own console a failure. Other than Bayo 2 and hopefully Zelda I don't care for them

Honestly man, I really don't care about whether or not they're satisfied with their success.

I simply don't expect Nintendo to break any ground with whatever the NX is. If they really knock it out of the park then great! I have no faith in their decision making though. Nintendo is great at game design and a disaster when it comes to everything else.

I threw in the towel years ago man. All I expect from Nintendo is to sell me a box that plays a bunch of good exclusives and maybe a few great ones. I'd like to seem them make some waves in this industry again, I just don't expect it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cainetao11

@ConanTheStoner said:
@cainetao11 said:

Honestly man, I really don't care about whether or not they're satisfied with their success.

I simply don't expect Nintendo to break any ground with whatever the NX is. If they really knock it out of the park then great! I have no faith in their decision making though. Nintendo is great at game design and a disaster when it comes to everything else.

I threw in the towel years ago man. All I expect from Nintendo is to sell me a box that plays a bunch of good exclusives and maybe a few great ones. I'd like to seem them make some waves in this industry again, I just don't expect it.

I hear ya. I only bring it up because I don't know how much longer they can make home consoles that sell so little. I know they make money with Hand helds but their home console offerings need a real representation or they need to find another lightning bolt. They need to get in the ball park with Sony/MS and try to get real 3rd party support. Consumers don't seem keen on buying Ninty consoles only and missing out Arkham, Witcher, MGS anymore. This is just my opinion for them business wise.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner
@cainetao11 said:

I hear ya. I only bring it up because I don't know how much longer they can make home consoles that sell so little. I know they make money with Hand helds but their home console offerings need a real representation or they need to find another lightning bolt. They need to get in the ball park with Sony/MS and try to get real 3rd party support. Consumers don't seem keen on buying Ninty consoles only and missing out Arkham, Witcher, MGS anymore. This is just my opinion for them business wise.

I wouldn't even chalk that up to opinion man, you're absolutely right. They're in a mess with their home consoles. Sure the Wii was a massive success, but it was also sheer luck. They need something more dependable. They can still do their silly Nintendo outside-the-box stuff, but there are certain base line standards they need to meet for gamers and developers alike.

Personally, I don't care if they get all the 3rd party support, great online service, etc.. because I'll be enjoying that stuff somewhere else, but that's just me. In the bigger picture, Nintendo absolutely needs the 3rd party support if they have any hope for a future in consoles. They've managed to support themselves for a long time and it's been really impressive, but that shit is starting to run its course. They really can't pull another WiiU.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@parkurtommo said:

Well if it is supposed to be legitimately powerful, then it will have to be on par with the PS5 and whatever new MS console, not just current gen consoles. This gen won't last much longer. I give it 2 years.

Man, this gen has barely hit its stride. Most studios haven't even released 2 games on this hardware yet. You think they want to jump to new hardware in 2 years?

I think this gen'll be just as long as the previous one, if not longer.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Heil68 said:

This and if it's an Expansion Pack for the WiiU similar to what the N64 had then maybe. If it's a completely new console then no due to too many people being burned by the WiiU and being hesitant towards the new console from Nintendo.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cainetao11

@DarkLink77 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Man, this gen has barely hit its stride. Most studios haven't even released 2 games on this hardware yet. You think they want to jump to new hardware in 2 years?

I think this gen'll be just as long as the previous one, if not longer.

Getting that feeling as well. Sony doesn't want to sink more money into a launch at in the next 3 years. They want to pull the cash in off PS4 to dig out financially. MS will try to enjoy mediocre sales and a year by year recovering of good will to gamers. Nintendo are the only ones that may want to start a new gen in 2 years.