Does Nintendo just have inferior programmers?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I'm not trying to diss Nintendo. I've tried to defend them for years, but even with an console that's stronger than the PS3, their games are lacking in online and graphics. I used to say "they could make a gorgeous multiplayer if they wanted to". But honestly, I don't even think they could.

Halo 3 is an 8 years old last-gen game. It had a more robust and functional online than ANY Nintendo game. And it also somehow manages to look better than Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero.

At some point, you just have to admit, their creative vision aside, they just can't program as well as most studios.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

You have zero idea about programming or have any experience with any game programmer in general, yet you're being and asking us to be an armchair critic about programmers, especially ones in places like Japan when most of us are in the west.

Shitty thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'd say they have some of the best programmers out there. They get a lot out of the hardware and the games almost always run flawlessly.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Okay, I'm not a programmer. I admit.

But why is every other major studio able to make games with consistently detailed visuals and big online experiences on a PS3, and Nintendo can't do it on a console that's stronger?

Seriously, tell me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Online is a problem for all companies. Nintendo is actually not bad at all on online, it all depends on the users internet connection. Bout every other game though has online problems. GTA5 had server problems, Fifa had server problems, Madden has lag problems, MLB the show has lag problems some, Planetside 2 has server issues, NBA2K online has bout always had issues, Dark Souls has lag and online problems, i could list games all day.

Question is, why do these games have servers issues when yall pay to play online?

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

As in coders? I wouldn't know. Their games aren't exactly demanding but they sure are nice to look at.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Nintendo is actually not bad at all on online,

I stopped reading right there

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

These guys can only do so much with the technology available. Don't forget they have to do what the shot callers tell them. Blame Iwata and the rest of the gang who continue living in the past.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo anymore but they don't have inferior programmers. If anything they have very skilled programmers that are hindered by the scope of the company.

I've never played a Nintendo game or heard anyone complain of a Nintendo game being a complete glitch fest like so many other titles I've seen through the years.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

You shouldn't reply to him, now he's going to spam you, and this thread with more nonsensical bullshit because you didn't praise his god the WiiU or Nintendo.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Heirren said:

I'd say they have some of the best programmers out there. They get a lot out of the hardware and the games almost always run flawlessly.

Yeah because Nintendo games never really push the tech of a console. There isn't a single Wii U game that is more technically impressive than God of War 3 on the PS3. Bayonetta 2 still doesn't come close.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

More like some of the best. They make games that run flawlessly on their hardware and the games look beautiful considering the hardware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

Mario Kart 8 is some of the best online I've ever experienced on a console.

A better question to ask is when other developers will catch up to nintendo in terms of development skills. All these adventure games like GTA5 and Witcher 3 feel clunky in comparison to games like Mario 64 or Sunshine. Uncharted 4 is the first game I've seen even appear to make an attempt at creating a connection between the game character and game world. Typically all these games have clunky controls with with buggy flat surface gameplay.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Their programmers and level designers are probably their biggest assets. If you look at how a lot of their games introduce something that changes everything. Implementing second screens, motion controls, stereoscopic graphics, portable water physics in a platformer, turning 2D franchises into 3D, smart load screens (that almost no developer uses), almost no need for patches, a new type of moderated online community, earning things in games that can be used in that community, etc. They consistently do things that are right outside of a programmer's comfort zone so I wouldn't call them bad at all.

Graphically we've seen them create the prettiest games on almost all of their platforms, but of course they know their platform best, and there are the rumours about not sharing details with third party. They haven't done a high end PC game, or an open world game. But I don't know that I want their games to be in development for over 8 years. I like that they are not all about graphics.

You can theoretically have both but that takes so much money and time and talent, I don't think gamers in general care enough about things that are not MOBA's and FPS games to support franchises that are both beautiful and good for many years. Like Star Citizen looks great and looks to be great but I can't see any company consistently develop a few of those games per year without support from a large group of gamers. The new Batman game looks visually impressive, but does it offer some substance? Some I-don't-want-to-put-this-down fun gameplay? I kinda doubt it. And in terms of programming that game sounds buggy as hell, like pretty much every (non-Nintendo) console-centric game lately. I'm more interested in Rare's Sea of Thieves and that was not a graphical masterpiece and I'm sure it won't sell as much because the masses don't look past the 'looks so cool' factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

Their programmers and level designers are probably their biggest assets. If you look at how a lot of their games introduce something that changes everything. Implementing second screens, motion controls, 3D graphics, water physics in a platformer, turning 2D franchises into 3D, smart load screens (that almost no developer uses), almost no need for patches, a new type of moderated online community, earning things in games that can be used in that community, etc. They consistently do things that are right outside of a programmer's comfort zone so I wouldn't call them bad at all.

Graphically we've seen them create the prettiest games on almost all of their platforms, but of course they know their platform best, and there are the rumours about not sharing details with third party. They haven't done a high end PC game, or an open world game. But I don't know that I want their games to be in development for over 8 years. I like that they are not all about graphics. Like the new Tomb Raider looks visually impressive, but will it offer some substance? Some I-don't-want-to-put-this-down fun gameplay? I kinda doubt it. I'm more interested in Rare's Sea of Thieves and that was not a graphical masterpiece and I'm sure it won't sell as much.

Holy crap, i never thought of it all together like that. Pretty amazing when you sit back and look at what theyve created.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

Yeah because Nintendo games never really push the tech of a console. There isn't a single Wii U game that is more technically impressive than God of War 3 on the PS3. Bayonetta 2 still doesn't come close.

From what I have played of Bayonetta it is a much smoother experience than God of War 3. People are obsessed with what something looks like on the service vs what is going on underneath. Outside of that Nintendo pushed the creation of the gpu through starfox and introduced the analog stick in a practical sense. Mario 64 left everything in the dust. Everything else felt like it was from a past era by comparison, and even to this day other developers are not able to measure up to Nintendos technical wizardry of Mario 64.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@emgesp said:

Because it's running at double the framerate.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I don't own a Wii U so I can't say I speak from experience, but I would attribute it to the fact that they just don't have the same years of experience working on HD games as most other developers do. They've only been doing it like 3 years now. That said, don't bring up Halo 3 to make your point. They just took Halo 2 and made things shinier. Mario Kart 8 has way more effects going on.

As for online, all I can say is Motorstorm Apocalypse disconnects on me way more often than ExiteBots ever did.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@drekula2 said:

Halo 3 is an 8 years old last-gen game. It had a more robust and functional online than ANY Nintendo game. And it also somehow manages to look better than Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero.

Have you ever heard of art design before? You're comparing completely different art styles here. Halo 3 was designed to look somewhat realistic, whereas Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero were designed to look creative and cartoony. It has nothing to do with programming, but has everything to do with art design.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

i don't know, super smash bros is good.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emgesp

@Heirren said:
@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

From what I have played of Bayonetta it is a much smoother experience than God of War 3. People are obsessed with what something looks like on the service vs what is going on underneath. Outside of that Nintendo pushed the creation of the gpu through starfox and introduced the analog stick in a practical sense. Mario 64 left everything in the dust. Everything else felt like it was from a past era by comparison, and even to this day other developers are not able to measure up to Nintendos technical wizardry of Mario 64.

I'm saying the reason why Nintendo games usually run at a smoother framerate is because they lack the technical prowess of other AAA games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 3 for example. It is much easier to make a Mario game run smooth when the hardware isn't being pushed to its limits.

Also, Mario 64 wasn't technical wizardry. The N64 was a good bit more powerful than the PS1. Now if a PS1 game looked like Mario 64 then we can talk about technical wizardry.

Conker's Bad Fur Day pushed the N64 way more than Mario 64 or StarFox 64 ever did.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp

@freedomfreak said:
@emgesp said:

Because it's running at double the framerate.

It averages in the 40's.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

The online is mess simply because Ninty didn't build the hardware nor the OS with a proper, focused approach on it. Thus each game has to make it's own "online system", regardless of whatever corpse of a standard system there is in place.

The next platforms won't have any of those issues. It's not due to bad programmers (companies like Ninty can easily afford great engineers and programmers), it was just badly planned from day 1. Simple as that.

Just like the PS2, despite having online capabilities, didn't really have any proper online system and thus was pretty much pointless for 95% of it's games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

The world of Xenoblade X looks more technically impressive than anything on the PS3.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freedomfreak  Online
@emgesp said:

It averages in the 40's.

Source?

Also, it certainly doesn't hurt that GoW uses a fixed camera, as opposed to Bayonetta 2, where the player is in full control.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emgesp

@Jag85 said:
@emgesp said:
@Heirren said:

The world of Xenoblade X looks more technically impressive than anything on the PS3.

Well let's wait until it gets released before we can do a proper comparison. IMHO, from what I've seen so far the world looks pretty empty.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By emgesp

@freedomfreak said:
@emgesp said:

It averages in the 40's.

Source?

Also, it certainly doesn't hurt that GoW uses a fixed camera, as opposed to Bayonetta 2, where the player is in full control.

Loading Video...
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

If I were Hideki Kamiya I'd ask TC: Do you have an inferior mother?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak  Online
@emgesp said:

*vid*

Where in that video does it conclude that on average, it runs at 40FPS? The game isn't silky smooth, but the framerate is higher than God of War 3, and the already mentioned fixed camera.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Fucking SSB4 is 1080p and 60fps with eight players at the same time, and it's free of glitches on top of it!

Also, Xenoblade.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

This thread is another example of how many gamers have no idea how things really work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#32 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

If by "inferior programmers" you mean bug free games, with flawless control implementation you are right.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emgesp

@freedomfreak said:
@emgesp said:

*vid*

Where in that video does it conclude that on average, it runs at 40FPS? The game isn't silky smooth, but the framerate is higher than God of War 3, and the already mentioned fixed camera.

The frame rate varies through out the duration of the game. Overall the average frame rate is somewhere in the 40's with spikes up to 60fps and drops down to the low 30's.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak  Online
@emgesp said:

The frame rate varies through out the duration of the game. Overall the average frame rate is somewhere in the 40's with spikes up to 60fps and drops down to the low 30's.

Not denying that. Merely saying that it's not hard for GoW3 to look better when it's running at 30FPS with a fixed camera.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emgesp

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Fucking SSB4 is 1080p and 60fps with eight players at the same time.

Also, Xenoblade.

Sorry to inform you but SSB4 is 720p 60fps.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

It's not the programmers fault they can't do online very well, that's more of an issue with Nintendo's higher ups (I.e. it was a company decision to be limited with Splatoon's online feature set, rather than a limitation of their programmers).

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I feel sorry for people that are so obsessed with graphics. Thinking about the amount of games some of you skip out on because of graphics is saddening. The fun that could of been had.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 emgesp

@freedomfreak said:
@emgesp said:

Not denying that. Merely saying that it's not hard for GoW3 to look better when it's running at 30FPS with a fixed camera.

Bayonetta 2 would still look the same regardless if the camera was fixed or not because of the art style it utilizes. The main character doesn't have any detail in her skin. She looks like a mannequin, or basically a 3D anime character.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@emgesp said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:

Also, Xenoblade.

Huh, that's not what I read.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
@emgesp said:

Bayonetta 2 would still look the same regardless if the camera was fixed or not because of the art style it utilizes. The main character doesn't have any detail in her skin. She looks like a mannequin, or basically a 3D anime character.

Considering it's easier to render stuff. Decide what can be shown on screen or not with a fixed camera as opposed to being in total control, would totally make Bayonetta 2 a better looking game.

Well, Bayonetta is literally perfect. She doesn't have scars or any of the like.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 emgesp

@intotheminx said:

I feel sorry for people that are so obsessed with graphics. Thinking about the amount of games some of you skip out on because of graphics is saddening. The fun that could of been had.

Better hardware doesn't just mean better graphics. It is ignorant to think better hardware doesn't open up new possibilities outside visuals. There is no excuse for why the Wii U wasn't at least on par with the XB1 in terms of hardware.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emgesp

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@emgesp said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:

Also, Xenoblade.

Huh, that's not what I read.

You know what I'm an idiot. I got it confused with Mario Kart 8. You were right. It is actually one of the few Wii U games that actually hits native 1080p.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Mario Kart 8, SSB for Wii U and Splatoon exist. /thread

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 emgesp

@freedomfreak said:
@emgesp said:

Considering it's easier to render stuff. Decide what can be shown on screen or not with a fixed camera as opposed to being in total control, would totally make Bayonetta 2 a better looking game.

Well, Bayonetta is literally perfect. She doesn't have scars or any of the like.

It would most likely run smoother, but the art style it utilizes can only look so good until you have to change it completely.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm not the most well informed gamer, but there is a difference between programmers and art direction. Your complaint is about a games art direction and not programmers. Nintendo is going in a different art direction. Heck if anything Nintendo programmers are the standard bearers for talented programming. You ought to write a letter of apology to Nintendo for your bad thread and terrible thinking.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I seriously doubt Ninty has inferior programmers; I think they do a great job and it depends more on the policies Nintendo has than with their skill, they have to work with what the company gives them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@emgesp:

You are overlooking the technical side of what the actual game does. Nobody has been able to replicate Nintendos ability for movement within a 3d world.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@emgesp said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:

Also, Xenoblade.

Nope, it's 1080p.

Also bayonetta 2 is more impressive than gow 3, there's more going on under the hood mechanically and still manages to have better lighting and effects. It's not locked 60fps but at least it hits it during small battles, gow 3 is lucky to see 38fps.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emgesp

@Heirren said:

@emgesp:

You are overlooking the technical side of what the actual game does. Nobody has been able to replicate Nintendos ability for movement within a 3d world.

What are you talking about? Are you seriously telling me you don't think there is another game that controls as well as Mario 64? I don't know if you're being serious or trolling now.

Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast says Hi.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:

Also, Xenoblade.

Nope, it's 1080p.

Also bayonetta 2 is more impressive than gow 3, there's more going on under the hood mechanically and still manages to have better lighting and effects. It's not locked 60fps but at least it hits it during small battles, gow 3 is lucky to see 38fps.

I corrected my mistake earlier.

Bayonetta 2 doesn't look more impressive to me. I guarantee if you started a poll most would agree that overall God of War 3 looks more impressive. I'm not saying Bayonetta 2 doesn't have any superior graphical effects, but as a whole it isn't as impressive visually.