Does Microsoft still make Exclusive Games?

• 116 results
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Microsoft still make Exclusive Games? (75 votes)

Yes - MS titles can only be played on MS platforms, hardware of software 56%
No - Hardware platform will always dictate exclusivity 44%

So this has been a topic that's come up numerous times since MS announce Play Anywhere. MS now develops games for its Universal Windows Platform (UWP) where a game is developed once and the software platform determines how the game runs based on the hardware its on.

This means that a MS title developed on UWP can theoretically be run on a console, Windows 10 desktop, or Windows mobile devices without needing to port those games. You can't play a UWP game on a Mac, or Linux. You would need a Windows 10 PC. And even then, it's specific to the Windows 10 Store. You cannot purchase or run UWP games from steam, for example.

Therefore, it can be said that MS still makes exclusive games, since a MS platform (UWP) is required to play those games.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this definition of a MS exclusive?

• 
jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Yeah I agree, Microsoft doesnt care whether your buying software for Windows or xbox, your still paying them. They dgaf lol

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Why is this even a topic. Microsoft does not have exclusives anymore in the traditional sense. I think everyone agrees with this now and this has been discussed to death.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Microsoft Exclusive vs XBox Exclusive? Both are valid to me.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Dire_Raven
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

@undefined:

Interesting topic. I think technically it can count as one, since Windows is a Microsoft product.

A UWP game can be played on other OSes, just not natively. You would have to use programs such as Wine or a Linxu wrapper for them to be able to run on the specific OS of your choosing.

I guess by your definition, it technically count as one.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Of course they do. Can you play Forza or a Halo on a ps4 or Switch? No. And don’t give me this ‘well, it’s on pc so it’s not an Xbox exclusive’ crap. Do you know how many pc owners can play modern games? Very little.

And who gives a crap anyway? I’m sure no Xbox owner cares whether or not their game can also be played on pc. This is nothing more than jealous fanboys of other platforms who bring up this garbage as a negative.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

For SW's purposes, they don't. In the real world, it all depends on how you wanna define the term "exclusive."

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

PC and Xbox are separate platforms. So by putting games on both, you can't really call it exclusive.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dire_Raven

@Sevenizz:

The majority of PC users play modern games. Look at the popularity of PUBG for an example. Even if what you said was somehow true, a game available on Windows and Xbox, would not be counted as an Xbox exclusive, as ir would be available on another platform.

What OP was stating was if games available exclusively on the Xbox, Windows Store and OS should be considered Microsoft exclusive as it would only be available on Microsoft based products.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

No as they are cross platform with PC. MS are going a different direction which will eventually just merge into one platform if it hasn't already. MS haven't shown much interest in battling for the console hardware market.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts
@Xabiss said:

Why is this even a topic. Microsoft does not have exclusives anymore in the traditional sense. I think everyone agrees with this now and this has been discussed to death.

^

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sevenizz

@dire_raven: Oh? Where are your stats? Because whenever I go to a Best Buy or a similar store and look at what they’re selling, none of the entry level PCs can play most modern games - or at least optimally. And they carry more entry level systems so they sell more of them.

I’d even argue that most pc owners don’t game on them or care to. For the most part, they aren’t even marketed as gaming machines.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts
@Xabiss said:

Well do you see this new form of exclusivity being implemented by Sony and Nintendo?

Also there are an awful lot of No's in the poll. I wish more of those voters would comment on why they think No is the correct option.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes

MS are definitely showing all the signs of exiting the hardware market people forget they are a software company.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chutebox
@Sevenizz said:

Of course they do. Can you play Forza or a Halo on a ps4 or Switch? No. And don’t give me this ‘well, it’s on pc so it’s not an Xbox exclusive’ crap. Do you know how many pc owners can play modern games? Very little.

So if a game is on PC, PS4, and Switch, but not on Xbox, it's exclusive?

Whether or not a majority of pc owners do not play games means nothing.

This is just fanboy crap though, agreed.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@robert_sparkes said:

MS are definitely showing all the signs of exiting the hardware market people forget they are a software company.

Been hearing that now for 10+ years and guess what I still see Microsoft creating hardware and new consoles. Keep saying it and one day you may be right. HAHA!

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dire_Raven

@Sevenizz:

Here is a list of the best selling games on Steam for 2018: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/

Here is how much PUBG sold on the PC alone: https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/19/17478476/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-sales-pubg-number-of-players

Most games are advertised to be on the PC. League of Legends is still one of the most popular online multiplayer games out there. The market for building custom gaming PC's is still prominent.

Most PC gamers build their own PC rigs (as it is a much more cheaper to do, plus if there a hardware issue, it would ne easy to troubleshoot it). Retailers like Best Buy rips you off badly when it comes to buying a PC. Not to mention, even if you have a low spec PC, you can still play some of the latest game, you just need to alter the settings for your preferred performance.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sevenizz

@dire_raven: I’m not arguing whether or not pc gaming is popular or not. I’m saying most pc owners don’t buy PCs to game with therefore your average pc can’t play modern games. Most console gamers buy them for the lower cost convenience of the platform.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Only in system wars could the answer be no, can you play gears and forza through steam or do you have to use microsoft?

Only in system wars would super Mario maker not be an exclusive because its both on Wii u and 3ds, it's asinine and only works in these fanboy forums.

Dire_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dire_Raven

@Sevenizz:

There are around 1.2 billion PC gamers based on a recent survey in 2018: https://gaimin.io/how-many-gamers-are-there/

Most modern games, like indies, are the least graphically intensive to run.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I've always viewed consoles and PCs as seperate markets. They are as different as the console and handheld market yet when Super Smash Bros was released for the 3DS in addition to the Wii U, people still called it an exclusive or when Playstation All-Stars was released for the Vita in addition to the PS3, people still called it an exclusive.

I don't like PC gaming, so it doesn't matter to me if every game ever made is on PC because I want to play on consoles so the only thing that matters is which console has something that the other consoles don't have. Most consoles owners feel the same way and completely ignore the PC market and make their purchasing decisions based upon what games console A has that consoles B and C do not have and vice versa. Whether or not the game is also available on PC is irrelevant for many people since they don't like PC gaming and just want to play on a console.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Xabiss said:

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

The term "Exclusive" means you can only play it on this device only. But when we use the term "MS Exclusive" it basically means both Windows 10 & Xbox One ecosystem operating only. Heck even at E3, MS trailers always says Xbox One/Windows 10 exclusive after the world premier trailers on their games. Either way, PC gamers don't normally care rather it's exclusive or not, MS is sharing their games on PC and that's all that matters in the end and MS still getting our money when we buy their MS Exclusive on PC.

@Sevenizz said:

@dire_raven: I’m not arguing whether or not pc gaming is popular or not. I’m saying most pc owners don’t buy PCs to game with therefore your average pc can’t play modern games. Most console gamers buy them for the lower cost convenience of the platform.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying nobody buys Pre-build PC to play games tight away? Best Buy sells Pre-build PC gaming but it's not recommend getting a Pre-build PC.

And as for modern gaming, I play everything on my PC. If you look at my sig below, it shows you what games I'm playing now, sometimes it's old & new games.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

This forum's nitpicking over what constitutes an exclusive has always confounded me.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@robert_sparkes: "MS are definitely showing all the signs of exiting the hardware market people forget they are a software company."

What are you talking about? They have more hardware now than ever before - Surface books, pros, displays, keyboard and mouses, dials, joysticks - and have already announced that they will have multiple consoles available next gen.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I consider them exclusive to Microsoft platforms and that’s good enough for me. As long as they continue to release a console then that will be my preferred place to play all their games and any multi platform games as well.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

And who gives a crap anyway? I’m sure no Xbox owner cares whether or not their game can also be played on pc. This is nothing more than jealous fanboys of other platforms who bring up this garbage as a negative.

Do you not know what multiplatform means? If the game can be played on another platform... multiplat! PS4 games on PSNow... multiplat! Persona 5... multiplat! Xbox games since Play Anywhere started... multiplat! Just because a game is on some platforms and not others doesn't change the definition. Save for games in the first two years of the Xbox One's life, there ARE no more exclusives for the console, or the Xbox brand from here on.

Do you know how many pc owners can play modern games? Very little.

PC versions of multiplat titles sell about as much as the Xbox One versions, if Ubisoft is anything to go by. It's not like base console level specs are an expensive thing to obtain for the average PC.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

You can't run most games, whether they are UWP or not, on mac or linux, therefore the same definition applies to all.

Since you can play them on PC, they are not exclusive.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

And even then, it's specific to the Windows 10 Store. You cannot purchase or run UWP games from steam, for example.

This is somewhat inaccurate, you can make an UWP application not tied to the windows store, you can launch UWP games through Steam and as for the releasing UWP games on Steam? We'll that I don't know how Steam would work with the package system, not really familiar with steam dev tools

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Sevenizz: There's no doubt most PCs can't play these games, yet there are like a billion PCs out there. If 1/100 can play them, then there's 100 million capable PCs out there that can play these games. I don't know the exact numbers, but think this... Out of all your friends and co-workers etc, don't you think 1 PC out of 100 would be able to play these games at at least Xbox One quality? My point is there are a lot of PCs out there that can play all the current games. I'm a console gamer only but I know this argument will be lost if trying to use your logic.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

You can call it *exclusive if you like. I prefer to be able to play a game on whichever platform I want.

And it's better for everyone that way. The games are better for it too. Even saves can transfer cross-platform. Win-win-win-win-win.

I can play Forza on my PC in my room, pop on over to the living room and fire it up on the X1X and pick up right where I left off. And the game runs great on any set of hardware because it was built with scalability in mind. The devs understand the game will run on a diverse set of hardware, and the game is so much better for it.

I'd rather not call it exclusive, because it doesn't mean anything anymore unless you're a fanboy looking for System Wars ammo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

Age of Empires IV is only on PC, so yes

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox

Good thread to ask, games on game pass...are they always there or do they cycle through?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4

@Chutebox said:

Good thread to ask, games on game pass...are they always there or do they cycle through?

I believe so. Although you do get discounted prices should you wish to buy the game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4 said:
@Chutebox said:

I believe so. Although you do get discounted prices should you wish to buy the game.

I have EA Origin Premier and it's like that. You get a discount on anything related to Origin and between Game Pass & Origin Premier, they are almost alike but Premier let's you download any DLC for that game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lundy86_4

@davillain- said:

I have EA Origin Premier and it's like that. You get a discount on anything related to Origin and between Game Pass & Origin Premier, they are almost alike but Premier let's you download any DLC for that game.

I have Premier as well. A little pricey, but it's allowed me to download some games from the Vault that I would never have purchased. Plus, I already have Anthem in my account for Feb.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4: Which is why I'm not giving Anthem that much of a slack due to being part of Premier which is good, I like the game so far but I wasn't ready to drop full price for it and not only that, I wouldn't have time nor the money due to Metro Exodus releasing on the same day. Premier is pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes

What I was trying to say was MS want their games to be played everywhere. It definitely doesn't help the cause to sell consoles.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

Until you provide so actual data to prove otherwise then you're wrong.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sevenizz

@GarGx1: Common sense doesn’t need to be proven.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@GarGx1: Common sense doesn’t need to be proven.

Stating "facts" does.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

At the end of the day there games are MS exclusive. SW needs to embrace that otherwise its boring. They potentially have the biggest install base. Pc gamers need to stop watching Sea of Thief and actually start buying there games. Some day they are going to strike gold and it will all make sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Microsoft still has exclusives, I think they are just getting closer by the year to XBOX = Windows Box.

For most of us, it's business as usual - console is the way to go. Buy an XBOX One X and it can play all of the XBOX One games just fine, or buy a Windows PC and maybe only some games work because PC gaming is picky asf.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I don't know. Since they advocated shared multiplayer experiences and their game minecraft has it, It wont be long till Halo is announced for Nintendo, Forza is on Sony and Gears is for kids. Its actually pretty cool if Microsoft did that.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

Ugh bad logic is bad. Since most gamers who have PCs can’t run something it is exclusive to Xbox?

Lol most gamers have ps4 or switch as opposed to Xbox so I guess all multiplats are not on Xbox by that logic

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Age of Empires IV is only on PC, so yes

But what if AOE 4 comes to Xbox One as well. Would you say it wasn't exclusive, even though it would be a UWP title?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

All Win10, (Xbox/PC) games are indeed..... Nintendont/Phony, Excluded!!!

PC / Xbox Won!! :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

The obsession with exclusives is so absurd. MS factually does not make exclusives anymore. Once any game can be played on more than one system it is no longer exclusive. Does it matter at the end of the day? Nope. Only hardcore fannies give a shit about things like these.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Pedro: agreed 100%. They’re getting paid regardless.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

But what if AOE 4 comes to Xbox One as well. Would you say it wasn't exclusive, even though it would be a UWP title?

That would suck >:(

But honestly, I'm glad for example the Forza games are coming to PC. Sure, Xbox lost an exclusive, but there wasn't any reason to not get them on PC.

They are of course multiplats. But to make matters more complicated they are of course exclusive to Microsoft systems (Windows and Xbox) :D