Does Killer Instinct belong in the same arena as MK and SF5?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

After playing this game for a good few hours, I must say I really enjoy it. It's fun and addicting. I think I can say I like this more than the other two. I would definitely say it deserves to be up there. What is your verdict on this, SW?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

DUPE TOPIC

There was already a topic on this days ago and you completely glossed over Guilty Gear Xrd.

KI was designed to bring people into fighting games. You are also in the honeymoon period. Some people stay married, and others divorce.

Experience comes into play as well. Since I've been playing fighting games during the 90s arcade scene my standards are different than most users here.

I found the new KI to be enjoyable, but shallow in the long run...and I've played KI since the very first game released by RARE. This new game was developed by a new team, and while they did a good job, it also doesn't feel like the KI I grew up with.

In terms of gameplay, I'd rate the three you chose: SF>MK>KI.

You should check out Guilty Gear Xrd (which every fighting enthusiast own), but then again, most of the forum seem to ignore and never touch it, so maybe not.

----

EDIT: This was already overly hashed last week. I'm not going to discuss what I already discussed a week ago. I'm not going to go over the same topic with fanboys with an agenda. It's redundant. I've long ago accepted this forum is the wrong forum for discussing fighting games. I miss the Fighting Union here at GS.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Ummm we had a topic like this already not to long ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Yeah, there was a long discussion about this already so this will get locked.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

@SolidTy: what's so good about guilty gear?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy: You have to be brain dead to put MK above KI.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#7 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

For me MK was the king of fighters this generation so far. But with the amount of content and support that keeps on coming to KI, KI could very well have surpassed MK already or at least be on par for the best fighting game for your money this gen. I played SFV and it's fun but the lack of content, last I heard it still doesn't have an arcade mode?, it's pretty lame. SFV is pretty much SF4.5 with less content. Also these other two fighting games doesn't include their original games in their package, KI includes the old arcade/classic console KI games in their package.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

After playing this game for a good few hours, I must say I really enjoy it. It's fun and addicting. I think I can say I like this more than the other two. I would definitely say it deserves to be up there. What is your verdict on this, SW?

For me it's up there. I didn't realize how deep the gameplay was until I started messing with the tutorial. The timing and hit detection and so precise. It's crazy. You really have to practice, practice, practice to master the controls.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Incidentally, since when did MK EVER deserve to be in the same arena as SF anything.

@SolidTy said:

There was already a topic on this days ago and you completely glossed over Guilty Gear Xrd.

KI was designed to bring people into fighting games. You are also in the honeymoon period. Some people stay married, and others divorce.

Experience comes into play as well. Since I've been playing fighting games during the 90s arcade scene my standards are different than most users here.

I found the new KI to be enjoyable, but shallow in the long run...and I've played KI since the very first game released by RARE. This new game was developed by a new team, and while they did a good job, it also doesn't feel like the KI I grew up with.

In terms of gameplay, I'd rate the three you chose: SF>MK>KI.

You should check out Guilty Gear Xrd (which every fighting enthusiast own), but then again, most of the forum seem to ignore and never touch it, so maybe not.

To call out KI as shallow is one thing, but to then put it under a NetherRealm fighter is peculiar at best.

NetherRealm fighters have never been good for anything other then brief play compared to any other fighter including KI. They're bottom of the barrel fighters. No matter what you may think of KI, sure it isn't up there with the best of the best in the genre, but it's earned a good position.

Plus I'd say KoFs probably deserves a mention over Guilty Gear.

Also the while the new Team is useless, Ken Lobb is the Ex Rare guy behind the old KI games, and he is probably the only reason this game is good. The teams themselves (ion Galaxy and whatever) have a horrible track record.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#11 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I dont play fighters enough to know. I havent even gotten through Injustice and I am a major comic guy.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

KI is a great game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

yes, it's a very fun and awesome fighting game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

If you don't agree, that's how I know I'm right. You don't play or understand fighting games genre. Your only horse in the race is something stamped with an Xbox logo on it. If KI was published by a multiplat company, Sony, or Nintendo, you wouldn't even care.

Forever unlike you, I play all the major fighting games and the platform doesn't matter, and I can rank them accordingly.

Also, regarding that brain dead business...uhm...well, Your brain dead, nanny nanny boo boo. :P

@kvally said:

*pic

He's got a 99% track record of being wrong. He's one of the fanboys I use to make sure I'm on the right track. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy

@HalcyonScarlet:

KOF isn't on current gen, or I would have mentioned it as I did Guilty Gear Xrd. KOF14 for PS4 is due in August though. I've been playing KOF since the 90 in the arcades, and pretty much every major fighting game released. If I was to bring in last gen fighters, I would also bring up a bunch of other fighting games like MvC3, BlazeBlue, etc.

Also, I didn't put the ">" the way I wanted because I was not trying to piss off the fanbots.

That said, in my scale between the three:

SF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MK>KI.

I also didn't mention Injustice (which is on current gen PS4), but I liked that more than MK (same dev). Guilty Gear Xrd is on current gen, hence the mention. That blurb about Ken Lobb, I've already posted about many times in the past back in 2013-2014. It's not new information, I was speaking about the products as they are.

I miss the fighting union at GS. I intensely dislike talking about fighting games in SW. I learned many years ago, this place is filled with scrubs to be honest. That's fine, but I don't put my best foot forward in discussing it here. I played hundreds of GS users at Fighting games, and put my money where my mouth was (I chewed them up and spit them out). People talk a bigger game than they can play, which is the trolling nature of this place...but it's not a serious genre with the users here save for a select few.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

MK and KI are probably a step ahead of SFV right now since they're actually finished.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@SolidTy: No one takes what you say seriously because of your heavy bias against MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1
Member since 2016 • 329 Posts

It's a damn fun game, I plug my Xbox One in every few months just to play some matches. REALLY wish the seasons were a tad cheaper though or that they'd release all the seasons and DLC on one disc cause I still don't have seasons 2 or 3.

I like it more than MKX but not as much as SFV, sure SFV is lacking in content but it's much more fun.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HalcyonScarlet

@SolidTy said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

KOF isn't on current gen, or I would have mentioned it as I did Guilty Gear Xrd. KOF14 for PS4 is due in August though. I've been playing KOF since the 90 in the arcades, and pretty much every major fighting game released. If I was to bring in last gen fighters, I would also bring up a bunch of other fighting games like MvC3, BlazeBlue, etc.

Also, I didn't put the ">" the way I wanted because I was not trying to piss off the fanbots.

SF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MK>KI.

I also didn't mention Injustice (which is on current gen PS4), but I liked that more than MK (same dev). Guilty Gear Xrd is on current gen, hence the mention. That blurb about Ken Lobb, I've already posted about many times in the past back in 2013-2014. It's not new information, I was speaking about the products as they are.

I miss the fighting union at GS. I intensely dislike talking about fighting games in SW. I learned many years ago, this place is filled with scrubs to be honest. That's fine, but I don't put my best foot forward in discussing it here. I played hundreds of GS users at Fighting games, and put my money where my mouth was (I chewed them up and spit themout), but it's not a serious genre with the users here (save for a select few).

Your experience in the genre does not make your opinion and more or less valid than others. That's a little condescending, it's not like you have to be a enthusiast of the genre to appreciate the intricacies. I too have been playing games in this genre since the early 90s. But this isn't really relevant.

I find it peculiar that you consider KI shallow, yet you praise NetherRealm fighters which is also very shallow and in fact more so tha KI. They're also the fighter which is most likely to lack long term replayability.

Also I mentioned Ken Lobb, not to indicate that you didn't know this, but because you said it was made by a different team, but my point was that the most important person of that team is still involved.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: If we were talking about any of the older MK games I'd agree, they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as SF, KI, GG, etc. But MKX changed that, it might not still be on par with SF but its taken huge steps in the right direction.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

I miss the fighting union at GS. I intensely dislike talking about fighting games in SW. I learned many years ago, this place is filled with scrubs to be honest. That's fine, but I don't put my best foot forward in discussing it here. I played hundreds of GS users at Fighting games, and put my money where my mouth was (I chewed them up and spit themout), but it's not a serious genre with the users here (save for a select few).

Your experience in the genre does not make your opinion and more or less valid than others. That's a little condescending, it's not like you have to be a enthusiast of the genre to appreciate the intricacies. I too have been playing games in this genre since the early 90s. But this isn't really relevant.

I find it peculiar that you consider KI shallow, yet you praise NetherRealm fighters which is also very shallow and in fact more so tha KI. They're also the fighter which is most likely to lack long term replayability.

Also I mentioned Ken Lobb, not to indicate that you didn't know this, but because you said it was made by a different team, but my point was that the most important person of that team is still involved.

Don't get the MK craze myself, I enjoyed IX but X was pretty poop imo. Found KI waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Not in the sense that MK and SF are older and have been sported longer whereas KI has only really made a revival since its original run, not speaking personally but fighting fans seem to love it.

I'd like to give DOA 5 Last Round a shot as DOA was more my speed but they never drop the price on the core game, only doing deals on the outfits which frankly they've too many of. Plus I know my luck, the moment I buy it they release an all costume having edition right after that's $10 less than I paid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

@lamprey263 said:

not in the sense that MK and SF are older and have been sported longer whereas KI has only really made a revival since its original run, not speaking personally but fighting fans seem to love it.

I'd like to give DOA 5 Last Round a shot but they never drop the price on the core game, only doing deals on the outfits which frankly they've too many of. Plus I know my luck, the moment I buy it they release an all costume having edition right after than $10 less than I paid.

It's a great game (DoA5) so I highly recommend it, wish SEGA would make a new Virtua Fighter and Bamco a new SoulCalibur.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

With Street Fighter? **** no

With Mortal Kombat? Of course, MK is pretty meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57adcc01ab2b1

@jg4xchamp said:

With Street Fighter? **** no

With Mortal Kombat? Of course, MK is pretty meh.

Not a huge MK fan either but MKIX was pretty good, damn cool reboot.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter

@naughtyottsel22: A new VF would be amazing, I still play the older games when the mood hits, and VF5 is still my favorite 3d Fighter from last gen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

This is why I don't discuss it in SW, I simply don't care what a bunch of people that hardly play these games think of the genre. It's not going to change any of hours and hours of time with fighting games (my fave genre) talking with people that like racers and other genres better. To top it off, nothing is every accomplished in these convos, and this is as I said, a redundant topic. Yes, I know it comes off a bit harsh, but I'm being honest since I lost patience in talking fighting games in this place. If some people loved fighting games as much as they claim, they would own other platforms to get their hands on those games, yet they don't. They would rather argue about games, but skip over entirely good games like Guilty Gear Xrd because they bought the wrong platform or whatever.

I love the fighting game genre so much, I buy multiple copies of the same game across PC-Xbox-PS just to play others. I don't expect that kind of conviction with scrubs or SW users, but at the same time, I'm not going to take their posts on the genre seriously either. That's just me being honest, which is also why I don't quote them or tell them "I find their taste peculiar". I find your posts on the fighting game subject suspicious and peculiar (especially with that KOF post), but I don't care enough to tell you that because it's a non-issue to me. If someone wants my attention on a game, we play it, that's it. The people I trust in the genre are the hundreds of arcade friends I've met over the past 25 years and the many I've played with online across PC/Playstation/Xbox. The rest of the talk is just chatter to me. It's just my perspective on my favorite genre, but by all means, debate the merits of a game with a hypothetical 19 year old who got into fighting games with SF4 if you want. That's just not for me, you know.

Also, it's not like I've just been playing these game a long time, I was an ex-arcade champion. So, I'm an accomplished fighting game fanatic that also happens to have been playing these games before they even released on consoles like the SNES and Genesis. I am not going to trust someone else's less experienced opinion over my own. They are welcome to post their opinion though, and I just won't quote them. My point, which you missed, is that we all have differing levels of experience and that elevates our expectations when playing games. That said, I never praised NetherRealm fighting games, read my post again. I find MK to be shallow as well, but more enjoyable. Again, you have a different opinion, that's nice, but I honestly don't feel like retreading this material every week and this topic was just last week. Asking me to repost and defend my position over and over gets tiring. I'm also not sure you have even put in hours into MKX, but whatever, I don't want to discuss it with people here tbh.

I didn't initially quote anyone, I just posted my opinion and moved on. I regret it because all it does is anger fanboys and others that would rather argue in their limited experience than just post their equally valid opinion on the subject and keep me out of the mix.

KI was made by an entirely different team and it's obvious, but KI is better that it should be due to Ken Lobb, which is why I enjoy the new version of KI despite the lack of depth and new approach in making it welcoming to fighting game noobs. I've read people over and over say they don't play fighters, but thanks to KI, they like them now, and in that way I'm glad for them. KI makes people feel as if they are better at fighting games than they are, which is fine.

You brought up a last gen fighting game, but I don't dwell on the mistakes users make, because I know they just don't have the experience and I just move on.

Have a good one.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SolidTy

@primorandomguy: First of all, you don't speak for anyone but yourself.

Secondly, I don't care either way. It's a terrible forum that I have spent years with and been here for generations of gaming machines (Gamecube vs. PS2 vs. Xbox 1), and you've been here since August 2014. My opinions are based on hardware I own. The same can't be said about your opinions.

Thirdly, going on your logic, no one cares what you think because you post a lot of random Xbot fanboy stuff...like you going off topic to attack instead of replying to the topic. That fanboy part of you would rather get aggro on a user than just post your opinion of KI, MK, and SF. My post based on my experiences with products I own shouldn't affect you to debase yourself. Instead, you should just post your opinion on the topic and move on.

The problem with fanboys is they don't have a lot of experience with other products, so they have no recourse but to post ad hominems. They give themselves away every time.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy
@vfighter said:

@naughtyottsel22: A new VF would be amazing, I still play the older games when the mood hits, and VF5 is still my favorite 3d Fighter from last gen.

Virtua Fighter is an amazing series. I was never huge on 3D fighters, although I'm great at them, but VF is outstanding due to it's depth.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I've played tons of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Back in the day it was always MK vs SF, and for me I always felt SF was far superior in gameplay to MK. At first, MK got a lot recognition because of all the gore. Later on, in MK2 and 3 they added a lot more stuff but the gameplay was sluggish compared to SF, and overall I still felt MK had inferior gameplay and its gore was one of its biggest draws. Their styles are different enough though that I just concluded that they were apples and oranges. I much prefer the mechanics of SF though.

So KI > MK, SF > MK, for me. As for SF vs KI, I cannot answer that question yet, and I'll tell you why, because I'm not at the same skill level in KI as I was in SF. I've played a lot of KI, but the problem is I switch characters a lot. For me, right now, KI seems just as good as SF on the surface, but once I get to a high level of play(as I was with SF....I've got years of experience with Ryu and Guile), then I'll be able to tell which holds up better. RIght now I guess Street Fighter is the winner by default, its the fighting game I grew up on and pretty much invented this genre. I'm not ready to say though that KI is an inferior game in the sense that I'm not done assessing it yet. When I'm done, it go either way, but the best case scenario is I'll conclude KI is just as good as SF....my conclusion will not be KI is better than SF, I''ve played enough KI to know that....what I don't know yet is if KI = SF. Hopefully this makes sense.....long workday lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@SolidTy said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

This is why I don't discuss it in SW, I simply don't care what a bunch of people that hardly play these games think of the genre. It's not going to change any of hours and hours of time with fighting games (my fave genre) talking with people that like racers and other genres better. To top it off, nothing is every accomplished in these convos, and this is as I said, a redundant topic. Yes, I know it comes off a bit harsh, but I'm being honest since I lost patience in talking fighting games in this place.

Also, it's not like I've just been playing these game a long time, I was an ex-arcade champion. So, I'm an accomplished fighting game fanatic that also happens to have been playing these games before they even released on consoles like the SNES and Genesis. I am not going to trust someone else's less experienced opinion over my own. They are welcome to post their opinion though, and I just won't quote them. My point, which you missed, is that we all have differing levels of experience and that elevates our expectations when playing games. That said, I never praised NetherRealm fighting games, read my post again. I find MK to be shallow as well, but more enjoyable. Again, you have a different opinion, that's nice, but I honestly don't feel like retreading this material every week and this topic was just last week. Asking me to repost and defend my position over and over gets tiring. I'm also not sure you have even put in hours into MKX, but whatever, I don't want to discuss it with people here tbh.

I didn't initially quote anyone, I just posted my opinion and moved on. I regret it because all it does is anger fanboys and others that would rather argue in their limited experience than just post their equally valid opinion on the subject.

KI was made by an entirely different team and it's obvious, but KI is better that it should be due to Ken Lobb, which is why I enjoy the new version of KI despite the lack of depth and new approach in making it welcoming to fighting game noobs. I've read people over and over say they don't play fighters, but thanks to KI, they like them now, and in that way I'm glad for them.

You brought up a last gen fighting game, but I don't dwell on the mistakes users make, because I know they just don't have the experience and I just move on.

Have a good one.

So why post your opinion in a 'discussion thread' if you're not willing to discuss? That was your choice.

I was not being a fanboy, nor am I angry. I was only pressing your opinion in a discussion thread where people share and discuss their opinions, just for the sake of discussion. Not sure why you want to passively call out my experience with fighting games if that is what you are doing, but that's cool though, whatever.

I have seen you give some praise to both MK and Injustice in the past. Hence why I assume you like NetherRealm fighters.

I brought up KoFs, because I don't look at certain genres as having a gen, it doesn't occur to me do that. Especially since they are very current still on the PC which has no gen. It was not my mistake that I didn't instantly grasp that particular point of yours, and considering you didn't emphasis 'current generation' or otherwise in that original post, you could see why that happened. I thought we were just mentioning series.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

No, not in a million Lemming years.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

I love the fighting game genre so much, I buy multiple copies of the same game across PC-Xbox-PS just to play others. I don't expect that kind of conviction with scrubs or SW users, but at the same time, I'm not going to take their posts on the genre seriously either. That's just me being honest, which is also why I don't quote them or tell them "I find their taste peculiar". I find your posts on the fighting game subject suspicious and peculiar (especially with that KOF post), but I don't care enough to tell you that because it's a non-issue to me. If someone wants my attention on a game, we play it, that's it. The people I trust in the genre are the hundreds of arcade friends I've met over the past 25 years and the many I've played with online across PC/Playstation/Xbox. The rest of the talk is just chatter to me. It's just my perspective on my favorite genre, but by all means, debate the merits of a game with a hypothetical 19 year old who got into fighting games with SF4 if you want. That's just not for me, you know.

I didn't initially quote anyone, I just posted my opinion and moved on. I regret it because all it does is anger fanboys and others that would rather argue in their limited experience than just post their equally valid opinion on the subject and keep me out of the mix.

KI was made by an entirely different team and it's obvious, but KI is better that it should be due to Ken Lobb, which is why I enjoy the new version of KI despite the lack of depth and new approach in making it welcoming to fighting game noobs. I've read people over and over say they don't play fighters, but thanks to KI, they like them now, and in that way I'm glad for them. KI makes people feel as if they are better at fighting games than they are, which is fine.

Have a good one.

So why post your opinion in a 'discussion thread' if you're not willing to discuss? That was your choice.

I was not being a fanboy, nor am I angry. I was only pressing your opinion in a discussion thread where people share and discuss their opinions, just for the sake of discussion. Not sure why you want to passively call out my experience with fighting games if that is what you are doing, but that's cool though, whatever.

I have seen you give some praise to both MK and Injustice in the past. Hence why I assume you like NetherRealm fighters.

I brought up KoFs, because I don't look at certain genres as having a gen, it doesn't occur to me do that. Especially since they are very current still on the PC which has no gen. It was not my mistake that I didn't instantly grasp that particular point of yours, and considering you didn't emphasis 'current generation' or otherwise in that original post, you could see why that happened. I thought we were just mentioning series.

I wanted to answer the TC, and let him also know this is a dupe topic. I told him my opinion and the topic was already done last week.

Why quote a user and discuss their opinion when you haven't posted your own opinion on the subject? Don't answer that, but that's how I see why questions. It doesn't matter, but I gave an answer for ya either way.

I never said you were being a fanboy or angry either (you misunderstood which is peculiar), that was explaining to you my perspective on this topic because believe it or not you aren't the only one quoting me as you can clearly see. I've seen these threads go south way fast due to fanbois. Already some butthurt users have attacked me and I'm explaining to you on what I've learned many years ago about Seriously discussing this genre in SW with untested scrubs trolling the place up.

You have not seem me give praise to MK in the past in my recollection, and furthermore, I didn't give praise to MK today. My first post was SF>MK>KI. You are wrong to assume anything about me and NetherRealm. You shouldn't say I praised a game in a thread when I clearly did not and told you I find MK to be shallow already. I used to hate MK with a passion for many years, actually. You clearly missed many, many of my posts on this subject. I learned over time to accept the MK, SC, Tekken, etc games as I was a Tournament fighting game player and if I wanted prize money, I needed to suck it up.

I have brought up Injustice in the past, because it has an excellent story mode, it's connected to comics which I grew up on, and it's another game like KI and MK designed for bringing in gamers to fighting games. Easy access fighter. Also, Injustice being a current gen game is still a point in a thread about current gen fighting games. I would rather discuss Guilty Gear either way.

Again, have a good one.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

SF5 is on a league of it own,and it is kinda clumsy to even compare it to KI or even MK.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

I can't say much about KI since i barely played it but comparing MK to SFV is a joke what SFV lacks is contents which will come with time but what MK lacks is actually being a decent fighting game the amount of content means nothing if the game is actually not fun to play.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@Kashiwaba said:

I can't say much about KI since i barely played it but comparing MK to SFV is a joke what SFV lacks is contents which will come with time but what MK lacks is actually being a decent fighting game the amount of content means nothing if the game is actually not fun to play.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38  Edited By mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

@SolidTy: what aspect do you find that makes KI more shallow?

Personally, Fighting games are all that I play smash, KI, SFV (really suck at the latter 2 no hiding that.) But as layers of mechanics go KI does have a lot. But, I agree that there are some fundamental flaws in the design the higher you climb in skill. I'd imagine that the advent of guess breaks being the only way to break at higher level as the shallowing mechanism? Shoot happens at all levels. Definitely skews the skill gap.

As for TC, slow down buddy. KI is fun, yes, I was in your shoes literally last thread, (not sure why you keep making these.) Since then the problem of guesses breaks really came to light for me. KI isn't bad, it's actually great. It's competitive and has a decent skill curve(up to a point). Given @SolidTy being an ex-champ it'd take a pretty good player to to beat him at it, well... Kinda) But, determining whole really is best at that level is impossible with KI since it is dependent on luck. Basically, after a point the skill curve goes competely flat. Decisions in normal are annulled with lucky breaks. If I get lucky enough, I, a scrubby player, could beat SolidTy; but that doesn't mean as much. I got lucky.(That would never happen at such a skill gap actually, but anyone with a firm grasp of the game's mechanical working s can do well and with luck win against anyone).

This doesn't happen in other fighters. Fighting games are about seeing which player is best, not just how fun it is. That is why KI isn't in the same league as SF no matter how much fun you have with it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidTy said:

I've long ago accepted this forum is the wrong forum for discussing fighting games.

All that needs to be said really. Any general gaming forums for that matter.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

KI belongs in the arena. SF 5 does not till Capcom releases the content to make it a better game. It does have the most balanced fighting of the three. But it lacks in content soo much that I can't justify buying it yet. Both Mortal Kombat XL and Killer Instinct are good fighting games. Till Street Fighter catches up in content it will stay where it belongs. In the tier below these two at this time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Mortal Kombat doesn't even belong next to Street Fighter. King of Fighters is the only fighter ID put remotely close.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@Heirren said:

Mortal Kombat doesn't even belong next to Street Fighter. King of Fighters is the only fighter ID put remotely close.

Exactly, don't see why people keep trying to argue about it every single month or so!!!

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Id put it in the same arena as Ballz3d and Pitfighter.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

I'm very disappointed in what they have done to the new one. They removed the fatalities which was a big factor in the game for starters, then the turned the graphics into a street fighter like scenario, etc..., but despite my disagreements with the game I would say no for the simple fact they haven't had but only three versions out compared to the many many sequels and versions of the others.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VFighter

@Kashiwaba: What makes MKX so bad? I keep hearing SF fans say this yet they never give a reason. I own both MKX and SFV, and while SFV is defenitly the better game MKX made a ton of improvements since 9, the characters are great, and its got content for days and days. It's by far the best MK ever for gameplay.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: @SolidTy:

I never like the first killer instinct (arcade) because of the combo system. Of course nowadays combo's have become more important, even in games like mortal kombat and streetfighter. Mortal kombat already used it in mk3 but there you only had to learn one or two combo's per fighter.

I actually managed to play mk9 with no combo's in the beginning. Only when I was playing for weeks I started to get into it. That's kinda what i disliked in sfIV and the latest killer instinct, you have to learn combo's from the get go or you don't have a chance. I doubt that sfV is any different and after a couple of matches with mk X, i felt they went the same route as well, allthough I'm not sure of that.

So hard to say at this moment what is best, Killer instinct does have the better graphics by far though, and if you can soldier through some combo training, it probably is the best game of this gen. Of course , that is when sfV is anything like sfIV and if you cannot go old school style on mkx but that's just my opinion.

I've always been a fighting game fan but I have to say since I played fight night champion, I only have eyes for the next fight night (one of the reasons I didn't really try to get into mkX as well and I've always been a mk fan), but you know, age does make you play slower paced games lol. Sadly ea is focussing on that ufc right now and they can't seem to get it right. If they could only lose the grappling....

If I had known they would have postponed fight night and/or make such a crap ufc again I would have tried to get into any of these games but I'm a little late now, I don't want to be a training muppet for others online

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

Nope, KI belongs at the big league stadium whilst the others belong at the middle school gymnasium. :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

First of all , nothing can go next to Street Fighter series.

Killer Instict can manage to somewhat challenge Mortal Kombat though.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2138 Posts

Killer Instinct was made for children with short attention spans. Funny enough, that describes all lems. Coincidence? I think not.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@pelvist said:

Id put it in the same arena as Ballz3d and Pitfighter.

Scathing lol. It's not that bad.

Though I won't lie, Pitfighter blew my mind when I first saw it in the arcade.