Does it make sense to use Japan's monthly sales as an indicator of popularity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WilliamCutting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WilliamCutting
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Sakoku, or national closure - the expulsion of foreigner barbarians - no longer governs Japanese culture, as it did for two centuries.The county still is plagued by deep rooted right-wing nationalism. Certain areas, in Japan, are still restricted to foriegn access, and in some extreme cases, blatant support for neofascist movements are made painfully obvious.

Can we really use Japanese sales figures as evidence of a console's popularity? Should Japanese sales be counted towards a console's total sales?

It is unfortunate, but due to the aforementioned reasons, I think it would be unfair to more modern-thinking countries, if we used figures from a biased source.

As it stands, any information posted in System Wars is subject to further investigation - such as source material. For example, we would not use a review score posted from a biased web source, such as "Playstation Magazine". It is unfortunate, as Japan have become one of our closest allies, but theyare a biased source, and should be subject to the same scrutiny as a biased web-source.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Sakoku, or national closure - the expulsion of foreigner barbarians - no longer governs Japanese culture, as it did for two centuries.The county still is plagued by deep rooted right-wing nationalism. Certain areas, in Japan, are still restricted to foriegn access, and in some extreme cases, blatant support for neofascist movements are made painfully obvious.

Can we really use Japanese sales figures as evidence of a console's popularity? Should Japanese sales be counted towards a console's total sales?

It is unfortunate, but due to the aforementioned reasons, I think it would be unfair to more modern-thinking countries, if we used figures from a biased source.

As it stands, any information posted in System Wars is subject to further investigation - such as source material. For example, we would not use a review score posted from a biased web source, such as "Playstation Magazine". It is unfortunate, as Japan have become one of our closest allies, but theyare a biased source, and should be subject to the same scrutiny as a biased web-source.

WilliamCutting

You are saying that the Japanese are against westereners, and therefore have biased views against wester products such as the xbox 360?

Japan embraces western culture, while still holding onto foreign traditions. It is a miraculous country, I've been there. They have nothing against Americans. Look at the iPod.

HermitCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HermitCommando
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
He didn't say they're "against"anyone, in fact, he clearly stated they are one of our closest allies. He didn't say racist - and all of his info is backed up by fact. All he said, and said rather well, was that Japan should be investigated as a source for info. Maybe we should really examine how foreign products do in Japan, in addition to the IpoD.
jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jeaglegs
Member since 2004 • 1017 Posts
I would use Japan's sales figures as an indicator of what to buy for almost any product. I don't think the Japanese are as easily fooled by slick advertising as we are in the U.S.
HermitCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HermitCommando
I would use Japan's sales figures as an indicator of what to buy for almost any product. I don't think the Japanese are as easily fooled by slick advertising as we are in the U.S.jeaglegs
So both Americans, and Europeans, are fooled by slick advertising? Because Xbox sells better in Europe as well.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
No because different genres sell better in North America then Japan.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
for popularity in japan...yeah.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
No..This is an American site why don't we use..lets say...hmmm.... North America sales numbers? :shock:
jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeaglegs

[QUOTE="jeaglegs"]I would use Japan's sales figures as an indicator of what to buy for almost any product. I don't think the Japanese are as easily fooled by slick advertising as we are in the U.S.HermitCommando
So both Americans, and Europeans, are fooled by slick advertising? Because Xbox sells better in Europe as well.

Huh. Yeh, I guess so.

jiggawho2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jiggawho2006
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamCutting"]

Koalakommander

You are saying that the Japanese are against westereners, and therefore have biased views against wester products such as the xbox 360?

Japan embraces western culture, while still holding onto foreign traditions. It is a miraculous country, I've been there. They have nothing against Americans. Look at the iPod.

it's funny how when they tried to convince others that Japan LOVES western product, they can ONLY think of 1 products out of hundreds and thousands of items imported to Japan. Who cares if NOTHING ELSE sells in japan, they still buy ipod, therefore, they love western products.

is that your logic? base your logic on 1 product? by your logic, ps3 hasn't sold ANY units for months because there is a gamestop near my house that didn't sell one months. So therefore, the world hasn't sold any ps3.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamCutting"]

Koalakommander

You are blinded by the miraculous looking country. If Japan loved American products they wouldn't keep rejecting our Trade Policy that says they have to purchase as many American products for export as we purchase Japanese products. There is a huge trade deficit between America and Asian countries. Asian countries don't want to import many American products to Japan, but they are eager to export everything from Japan to America. It a mess. Their love for America is knowing we will purchase their wares. That's about it.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Koalakommander

[QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="WilliamCutting"]

jiggawho2006

it's funny how when they tried to convince others that Japan LOVES western product, they can ONLY think of 1 products out of hundreds and thousands of items imported to Japan. Who cares if NOTHING ELSE sells in japan, they still buys ipod, therefore, they love western products.

is that your logic? base your logic on 1 product? by your logic, ps3 hasn't sold ANY units for months because there is a gamestop near my house that didn't sell one months. So therefore, the world hasn't sold any ps3.

Let's see, they love American's favorite past time more than Americans.

Most of the music they listen to is American, even though they have no idea what the lyrics mean.

They love American movies. Pirates of the Caribbean is huge over there. And a DieHard 4 commerical every minute.

They are for the most part, a very kind and respecting people.

McDonalds is everywhere =p

They arn't biased, they just have different tastes in videogames.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Koalakommander

blackace

You are blinded by the miraculous looking country. If Japan loved American products they would keep rejecting our Trade Policy that says they have to purchase as many American products for export as we purchase Japanese products. There is a huge trade deficit between America and Asian countries. Asian countries don't want to import many American products to Japan, but they are eager to export everything from Japan to America. It a mess. Their love for America is knowing we will purchase their wares. That's about it.

Japanese love American products, Americans love Japanese products. If you want to slip into politics and economics, American invests huge amounts of money into Asian countries, because our businesses prosper there. As a result, their country gets wealthier.

I don't think the trade agreement you are talking about has anything to do with Japan not liking our products.

jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeaglegs
[QUOTE="jiggawho2006"]

Koalakommander

it's funny how when they tried to convince others that Japan LOVES western product, they can ONLY think of 1 products out of hundreds and thousands of items imported to Japan. Who cares if NOTHING ELSE sells in japan, they still buys ipod, therefore, they love western products.

Most of the music they listen to is American, even though they have no idea what the lyrics mean.

They love American movies. Pirates of the Caribbean is huge over there. And a DieHard 4 commerical every minute.

Nike and Dell are big in Japan...

HermitCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HermitCommando
[QUOTE="jiggawho2006"]

Koalakommander

Please support your opinions with fact. I want to see sales figures for all those products and companies compared with Japan-based companies in the same market. Numbers, actual numbers.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koalakommander
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="jiggawho2006"]

HermitCommando

Please support your opinions with fact. I want to see sales figures for all those products and companies compared with Japan-based companies in the same market. Numbers, actual numbers.

That's all common knowledge, so I'm not gonna waste 3 hours digging up charts and statistics for some random forumite who thinks Japan hates American products.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

Just a reminder. Internet sites such as this don't allow only members of one country.

Popularity has nothing to do with right wing or left wing propoganda nor does it have anything to do with the governments of oriental cultures. It has everythign to do with how many people are interested in that product on a world wide scale.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="WilliamCutting"]

Koalakommander

You are blinded by the miraculous looking country. If Japan loved American products they would keep rejecting our Trade Policy that says they have to purchase as many American products for export as we purchase Japanese products. There is a huge trade deficit between America and Asian countries. Asian countries don't want to import many American products to Japan, but they are eager to export everything from Japan to America. It a mess. Their love for America is knowing we will purchase their wares. That's about it.

Japanese love American products, Americans love Japanese products. If you want to slip into politics and economics, American invests huge amounts of money into Asian countries, because our businesses prosper there. As a result, their country gets wealthier.

I don't think the trade agreement you are talking about has anything to do with Japan not liking our products.

America invests huge amounts of money in Asian countries because it's cheaper to produce products there, then it is in America. Like 85% of American products are made in Japan and then we have to pay Japan transits to ship our products back to America. This doesn't even include products made by Japanese companies like Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc.. who ship billions in products to the US for us to buy. You won't see the same amount of RCA, Panasonic, Pioneer, 3M, Vizio, etc.. products being shipped to Asian countries, that's for sure.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Well, a sale in Japan is no more important than a sale here... I don't see why it should be any less important, either.  
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Koalakommander
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="WilliamCutting"]

blackace

Americainvests huge amounts of money in Asian countries because it's cheaper to produce products there, then it is in America. Like 85% of American products are made in Japan and then we have to pay Japan transits to ship our products back to America. This doesn't even include products made by Japanese companies like Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc.. who ship billions in products to the US for us to buy. You won't see the same amount of RCA, Panasonic, Pioneer, 3M, Vizio, etc.. products being shipped to Asian countries, that's for sure.

Because Japanese products are often times better in quality...

We don't buy Japanese cars over American ones because we hate America. We buy Japanese cars because they are better 0_o.

HermitCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HermitCommando
[QUOTE="HermitCommando"][QUOTE="Koalakommander"][QUOTE="jiggawho2006"]

Koalakommander

That's all common knowledge, so I'm not gonna waste 3 hours digging up charts and statistics for some random forumite who thinks Japan hates American products.

Where did I say they hate American products? If you're going to make sweeping generalizations, such as "Oh, ALL of Japan loves American past time more than America does. Mc Donalds is HUGE over in ALL of Japan. American products sell extremely well in ALL of Japan" - please support your opinions with fact.

Otherwise, just as the OP stated, it is within reason for me to consider YOU biased, and call your info into question. Maybe you love JRPGS, so you're making up nonsense to support you Pro-Japan argument. FACTS PLEASE.