Does God of War have any glaring weakness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Just beat the game and oh wow...it's the first time in possibly a decade I haven't found the score to be unjustified. From Bloodborne to Uncharted, hell even The Witcher 3, I found these games were getting too much praise but for God of War I think it might just be justified.

The game doesn't appear to have any obvious shortcomings. You may argue some games have better combat mechanics or stories but it's above average in practically everything. Storytelling, graphics, sound design, content, length, variety, combat, replay value, voice acting...the only thing I can criticize is at times, the storytelling gets too much into the way of the gameplay. A minor complaint nonetheless.

People complained about BOTW's thin story, barren world and weapon mechanics. They complained about Uncharted 4's overuse of climbing and pacing. Witcher 3 has weak combat and so on...

For those who have played and beat it, any major complaints you have?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Imo the biggest weaknesses are.

Troll boss is used to much, got tired of seeing trolls. Next game needs more variety.

Enemies in general need more variety.

More weapons, 2 is not enough.

Many of the puzzles were borring imo, ( the saw blade one was sweet tho)

Replayability, I don't know maybe an arcade more or a mp. I understand it's SP and story driven but after you get to the end I don't see incentive for multiple run throughs. GOW made me really appreciate how nier did thier multiple endings. Nier is the only SP game I enjoyed running multiple times because it's different Everytime.

GOW is still a great game, I'd suggest borrowing it, renting or waiting for a sale. Or buy it, not my money IDC lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Juub1990
@jeezers said:

Imo the biggest weaknesses are.

Troll boss is used to much, got tired of seeing trolls. Next game needs more variety.

Enemies in general need more variety.

More weapons, 2 is not enough.

Many of the puzzles were borring imo, ( the saw blade one was sweet tho)

Replayability, I don't know maybe an arcade more or a mp. I understand it's SP and story driven but after you get to the end I don't see incentive for multiple run throughs. GOW made me really appreciate how nier did thier multiple endings. Nier is the only SP game I enjoyed running multiple times because it's different Everytime.

GOW is still a great game, I'd suggest borrowing it, renting or waiting for a sale. Or buy it, not my money IDC lol

I can understand the issue with the troll. It's true it's used too much.

Also it's 3 weapons. Shield and fists count as a weapon.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@geraltofwar: and don't forget his fists! Those things are deadly. Also his sons arrows, since you can control the shots.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

Just beat the game and oh wow...it's the first time in possibly a decade I haven't found the score to be unjustified. From Bloodborne to Uncharted, hell even The Witcher 3, I found these games were getting too much praise but for God of War I think it might just be justified.

The game doesn't appear to have any obvious shortcomings. You may argue some games have better combat mechanics or stories but it's above average in practically everything. Storytelling, graphics, sound design, content, length, variety, combat, replay value, voice acting...the only thing I can criticize is at times, the storytelling gets too much into the way of the gameplay. A minor complaint nonetheless.

People complained about BOTW's thin story, barren world and weapon mechanics. They complained about Uncharted 4's overuse of climbing and pacing. Witcher 3 has weak combat and so on...

For those who have played and beat it, any major complaints you have?

That's great to read.

Didn't you mentioned that the first portions of the game was a bit slow?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Yes. Hard mode is too damn hard lok

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juub1990
@Pedro said:

That's great to read.

Didn't you mentioned that the first portions of the game was a bit slow?

Yep and I more or less stand by this. I did mention in the OP:

the only thing I can criticize is at times, the storytelling gets too much into the way of the gameplay.

Minor complaint. Gotta say it was a lot more annoying early one because you were forced on a beaten path.

@stereointegrity Definitely. I picked "Give me a challenge" and the game is a fair bit challenging. Not ZOMG impossible but enemies can still kick your ass pretty easily. My buddy has put the game in Give Me God of War and he is basically stuck. It's downright unfair because enemies take way too much punishment and dish out equally. It's just unbalanced. They need to do a NG+ that allows you to go up to lv 10 or something.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17794 Posts

I have not finished it, but I have played over 30 hours. I have found the environment design to be lacking. It feels very generic with lots of caves and caverns and shit. They have boring areas that you have to traverse, especially on the boat where they try to hide the streaming of new areas and throw in some dialogue. They also use this technique with elevators and when traveling between gates. The old games had more epic level design and memorable moments. I do like how they make you work for chests and stuff though with plenty of environmental puzzles. Enemy encounters and boss battles are also less epic, but I don't mind the overall change in combat and I was very happy when I got the Blades of Chaos. Obviously I hate the frame rate and it is more distracting now that you can freely aim the camera as opposed to the more static camera angles of the previous games. It is a solid game overall though and I would probably give it an 8/10 based on what I have played.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts

My bad, I missed that in the OP.

@Juub1990 said:

Yep and I more or less stand by this. I did mention in the OP:

Minor complaint. Gotta say it was a lot more annoying early one because you were forced on a beaten path.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

No major complains really. I agree with what you said everything is at least above average. Combat, Puzzle base exploration, Cinematic Story telling. Its one of those you either like this aspect of it or you don't but its just done well. You know like you can say I don't like the cinematics that kinda thing. I don't know what to think about the game yet still settling down with extra contents. I would have to be super hard on it to hate it. You know start projecting other types of games in to it. Or say it doesn't have originality good or bad. For me the most important things are done well.

I disagree with @jeezers this is better then most single player games. It actually does have value. Nier Automata is my jam one of the good games I have played. Length wise time wise seems very much same to this game. The differences is Nier is innovative in the way it does endings. Parhaps yeah one the weakness is the GOW does not have NG+ on replay. You do not retain you stuff if you start playing it again from the beginning. It also does not advertise itself well for extra stuff that it has. Does not advertise how cool and interesting God of War mode is. Someone already mansion and I agree the lack of trophy does not incentivize players to try it. Players don't get to see the different touches to that mode. How cool immersive mode is. How you see different bosses and enemy types from the extra stuff that kinda thing.

All games are overrated these days but GOW is one of those games that deserve to be overrated if that makes any sense. This is one of the good games.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

Beginning was a bit slow, would have liked some more variation in weapons, and I can't see any replay value, but apart from that I loved GOW.

Can't wait for gow 2.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

No major complaints that I can think of. Combat is great imo

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

lack of enemy variety i guess

also i don't find myself making use of a lot of the special axe moves

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Yeah! The game is full of cliches, there is nothing original in it, and it's very, very repetitive. Both the scenery, and the enemies are just too darn repetitive.

HZD is million times better action adventure.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Ugly water, that's about it. I liked the story, the dwarves were funny as ****, laughed out loud many times.

@henrythefifth said:

Yeah! The game is full of cliches, there is nothing original in it, and it's very, very repetitive. Both the scenery, and the enemies are just too darn repetitive.

Gotta be sarcasm, because as an action game HZD sucks balls.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Don't know about weaknesses, but there are a few things that can get to me:

• I find the map to be completely useless. It's simply a vague view of the overworld that gives absolutely no indication of where I can go. Early in the game I was completely lost, and would still be if it weren't for the compass.
  • the moveset is a tad overwhelming when fully maxed out, and I'm having trouble remembering half of the moves I've purchased in the heat of the moment which makes combat feel like it's missing a lot of potential. It also doesn't help that I suck at it for the most part.
  • the variety of armor, runes, and enhancements is also too overwhelming and doesn't feel distinct enough from one another to warrant their inclusion.
  • as I suck at combat, I wish this had an endless arena mode where you could choose enemy types, amount, armor and runes, and tweak setting in order to get better. It's a game that's screaming for such a mode.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45056 Posts

@MirkoS77: if you do the optional levels there is an arena style mode you can play

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I would cut the word Boy by 70%, it would still be too much.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

@MirkoS77: if you do the optional levels there is an arena style mode you can play

Are you talking about that one realm? I've played it but it's not quite what I'm thinking of.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts

It's losing to Bloodborne with lore quality, boss battles and enemy variety. It's losing to many RPGs on side quests plots quality. Side quests are somewhat simple and basically are fetch quests.

Technical issue - the screen doesn't scale to the full size at 1080p. Because my monitor is 1440p, I have black bars around the screen. WTF. Even old PS4 games scaled to the full size of my screen. It's a first game that doesn't scale.

Impression: 9/10, solid action game after Bloodborne. Bloodborne is 10/10 for me.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts
@Epak_ said:

Ugly water, that's about it. I liked the story, the dwarves were funny as ****, laughed out loud many times.

@henrythefifth said:

Gotta be sarcasm, because as an action game HZD sucks balls.

HZD sucked as an action game ?!

Sony fanboys are ridiculous. In order to protect this stupid 10/10 narrative, they are ready to drag through the muck all other good Sony exclusives.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@ivangrozny: It took me a year to finish the campaign, the combat lacks serious punch/ooomph. Beating metal robots with twigs and such, doesn't feel good man. Game looks gorgeous, that's about it.

thejesu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thejesu
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

The combat doesn't work for me.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The kid gets annoying. Shows you why traveling with kids is mostly a big headache. Like shut up already.

The Troll boss, wow they really ran out of ideas?

Combat can get a little clunky at times, not being able to see all around you can get a little frustrating.

Modern BS stuff like Kratos go pick me some flowers.

Backtracking to previous locations to disguise this as an open world when it's really not.

Plenty of flaws: game of the generation my buttocks.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

It's losing to Bloodborne with lore quality, boss battles and enemy variety. It's losing to many RPGs on side quests plots quality. Side quests are somewhat simple and basically are fetch quests.

Technical issue - the screen doesn't scale to the full size at 1080p. Because my monitor is 1440p, I have black bars around the screen. WTF. Even old PS4 games scaled to the full size of my screen. It's a first game that doesn't scale.

Impression: 9/10, solid action game after Bloodborne. Bloodborne is 10/10 for me.

A couple of the early side quests are sort of lame, but many of the side quests are every bit as fun as the main quests. There are entire areas of the game the main quests don't take you, with their own puzzles, mini-bosses, dragons, etc. There are many RPGs that offer a lot more side content, but I really can't think of one that has side quests that are very far ahead in terms of quality.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The kid gets annoying. Shows you why traveling with kids is mostly a big headache. Like shut up already.

Combat can get a little clunky at times, not being able to see all around you can get a little frustrating.

Backtracking to previous locations to disguise this as an open world when it's really not.

agreed, especially with the backtracking disquised as open world, Nier felt like open world, GOW not at all.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000

@jeezers said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

agreed, especially with the backtracking disquised as open world, Nier felt like open world, GOW not at all.

I view the lack of an open world as more of a feature than a flaw.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@jeezers said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

I view the lack of an open world as more of a feature than a flaw.

I do enjoy the side quests. Spent some time on them in the beginning. But now I'm starting to get a little frustrated so I wanna just plow through the main game already.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000

The troll does pop up a lot. The first couple of times you fight it, it is presented sort of as a boss, but at this point, I just think of trolls as regular enemies, like viken, so their appearance doesn't bother me. I actually kind of get relieved when one shows up because they are so easy to stagger later in the game that they are basically easy crowd control.

Valkyries are bosses and they are all pretty similar to each other. That is the boss fight that feels repetitive and recycled to me.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Yes. It's exclusive.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

For me it was the final boss fight. Felt a bit repetitive. Although I get this game is a setup for the second and third game, I feel like they could have given us a bit more. That and most of the other bosses were pretty much the same just with different skins and abilities. Still, though, the game is epic.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I could list a ton of weaknesses but not liking this game usually ends up in rage which eventually leads to people flagging me, so I guess I cant say anything

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Yes. Kratos seems old and weak in this game not sure of himself. The way he talks is annoying. Not really any reason to care about spreading the ashes. It's just a reason to be out on the journey.

I am close to the end of the game basically there is no story at all. I don't give a shit about kratos and his sons relationship.

The over all game is fun but it's not a god of war game. They could have made it a Thor game. He'll the axe even acts like the hammer. Guess they figured god of war name would sell better.

The game is fun don't care for the story the new voice actor or kratos being a washed up dad now.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide

@Zero_epyon said:

For me it was the final boss fight. Felt a bit repetitive. Although I get this game is a setup for the second and third game, I feel like they could have given us a bit more. That and most of the other bosses were pretty much the same just with different skins and abilities. Still, though, the game is epic.

I'm halfway through the game, but this sort of makes me sad, I think I know who's going to show up as the final boss and I'm not happy thinking about it....

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide

@Advid-Gamer said:

Yes. Kratos seems old and weak in this game not sure of himself. The way he talks is annoying. Not really any reason to care about spreading the ashes. It's just a reason to be out on the journey.

I am close to the end of the game basically there is no story at all. I don't give a shit about kratos and his sons relationship.

The over all game is fun but it's not a god of war game. They could have made it a Thor game. He'll the axe even acts like the hammer. Guess they figured god of war name would sell better.

The game is fun don't care for the story the new voice actor at kratos being and asked up dad now.

I'm starting to call BS on all those tens. I usually agree with most games that get such a score but this game really isn't checking any of those boxes. The gameplay is so familiar you can reskin certain sections with Uncharted and they would play exactly the same.

Climb the cliff, climb the mountain, same mechanics in both games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

"Boy"

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points