Does fanboyism extend beyond internet forums?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

Did anyone ever experience or show fanboyism in an arrogant matter in the real world? I remember a thread 2 years ago where a guy claimed to have stopped a 3ds sale and told the customer to wait to buy her kids a vita. Has anyone experienced something like this for real?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Yeah of course it exists beyond internet forums, it's not as much of a bubble as you think.

When I bought my first PS3 a few years ago, the shop attendant tried to convince me that I should buy a 360, claiming it was far more powerful because his pc would run circles around a PS3, yet the 360 was still thrashing his pc.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Since I only believe in fair and balanced posting, concentrating on the truth, I have yet to experience anything like you have described in the OP in real life.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I still have friends that I can't even mention the words "PS3" before someone say that it sucks and that the only decent game it has is Uncharted. And these are people with jobs, girlfriends, etc. but they still act like children when it comes to gaming stuff.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

I remember back in 2006 or something I didn't speak to two of my friends over some fanboy argument we had. They were Nintendo fanboys and I was pro-360.

The other day too I convinced my friend to get a PS4 over Bone.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

I'm 28 and admitted that i play Pokemon to some 16 Year old who i train martial arts with, He was like "Seriously... Lawlz. Kiddies Game" which i replied "LOL GTA for adolescent dweebs with anger issues". My friend Always telling me to purchase a PS4 as the WiiU sucks but then tells me how much he wants Monster Hunter on a Sony Console unlike me who will purchase a Console for specific Games.

This count?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Keva820 said:

Did anyone ever experience or show fanboyism in an arrogant matter in the real world? I remember a thread 2 years ago where a guy claimed to have stopped a 3ds sale and told the customer to wait to buy her kids a vita. Has anyone experienced something like this for real?

Yep. Go to any Apple store if you don't believe me.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It does, though there is usually a difference in severity. People tend to word things differently when you're talking directly to them.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Yes it goes beyond forums. Two "gamers" that work for me (I put quotes because they are part of the uninformed masses). One is pro Xbox the other is a Sony supporter. Both are planning on buying next gen systems this year, and neither would ever even consider buying the rival system even though they know nothing about them other what they've seen on TV commercials.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@clone01 said:

@Keva820 said:

Yep. Go to any Apple store if you don't believe me.

Shudder. I would rather not.

I always feel like I need to wipe my feet on the way out.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I see a bit of it here and there, but it's mostly uninformed people not caring enough to learn more. Most people just buy the game console their friends do. This is why launches are so important. A good launch sets the momentum for the rest of the generation.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

It happens quite a lot in "real-life" and not just surrounding games consoles.

Just look at anyone you know who has an iPhone/android. Try and convince them that one is better than the other and you get an oh so familiar attitude just like when dealing with console fanboys.

Same can be said for sports teams or anything tribalistic in nature.

We as humans feel the need to belong to a group/tribe and will defend our beliefs in our "tribe" with every fibre of our being when it is challenged whether we are wrong or not. The biggest "tribes" in the world today are organised religions who make up the biggest fanboys on the planet.

franty25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 franty25
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Just hang out in a Gamestop sometime.

I was there over the weekend checking out the bargain bin (I'm a value shopper!) and I got into a discussion with an employee about the benefits of the PS3 vs the XBox360. We were both PS3 users. Then, a co-worker came in from lunch and, overhearing the gist of our conversation, threw up his hands in biblical disgust and retreated to the stock room.

He was (apologetically) described to me as "an XBox fanatic".

It exists outside of forums.

Todd

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I see young guys in game shops squabbling like fanboys sometimes but it's mainly an internet thing because people can bash and bash and bash and never have to listen to someone else

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Hell yeah it does,you should hear some of shit that comes out of peoples mouth.When I go to some EB games,in Toronto.I remember one time,a Hardcore COD player(this dude was employee also) had a argument with me cause I wore a Battlefield 3 shirt in the store-_-'.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

it sure does extend beyond the internet. alot of people takes this stuff seriously. Just like NFL/MLB/NBA Fans take their teams winning or loosing seriously. you should see the constant fights that break out at those stadiums.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

It definitely extends beyond the forums.

I can safely say I will be waiting in my car with a baseball bat, waiting for people to walk out of GameStop with their midnight PS4 bundles.

I will shout profanities and threaten to smash their merchandise if they do not kneel before the X1 God.

MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts

Yes! It's also prevalent in playgrounds!

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Lol, when I showed some of my buddies at a recent Bears game get together what the net was saying about the screen resolution gate and how the games looked so different on PS4 compared to Xbox One they laughed, rolled their eyes, and said they couldn't tell a difference, or if it did it wouldst be something they care about. When I got into teraflops and ddr ram speeds they only wanted to see the games moving with their own two eyes. Couldn't give two shits about any of this stuff we argue/debate over. Mostly fanboyism stays online. At least from what I have seen.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Forumers have been hating on COD for years, yet it sells extremely well. No one ever discusess FIFA on most general game forums, yet it's one of the top sellers every year. Forumers have demanded Ubi to stop the yearly releases of AC for years, yet AC3 sold the most in franchise history by far.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

It definitely extends beyond the forums.

I can safely say I will be waiting in my car with a baseball bat, waiting for people to walk out of GameStop with their midnight PS4 bundles.

I will shout profanities and threaten to smash their merchandise if they do not kneel before the X1 God.

You are a good man, kind sir. A good man indeed. Live long and prosper and may the Force be with you :)

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Yes indeed and with any consumer product you care to mention. I always find that people who flat out call something crap and don't put out any sort of a balanced argument about alternatives to what they have are not worth listening too.