Does Breath of the Wild do open world best?

• 88 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I happened to pop the game into my Switch today, just to play around with it for a few minutes. I immediately remembered why I loved this game so much. I could easily get lost and find something interesting to do. It happens naturally in this game. It’s something that a game like Witcher doesn’t do as well in my opinion. Where a lot of open world games give you direction, Breath of the Wild draws you in through sheer curiosity. I don’t find many games that do that, with Skyrim being the last game I could think of. What do you think, SW? Does Breath of the Wild do open world best?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Nope. Its barren and the only thing you do is find shrines, kill guardian. Got bored by 3rd guardian.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I got bored with BotW. At a certain point I felt no need to continue exploring and hunting down all the shrines.

The side content in Witcher 3 felt much more meaningful. The monsters had a connection to the locations you were exploring, background stories, lore implications, etc... That's what made me want to explore the world.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Probably. I’m currently playing through the game for a second time on the Switch and I still find wandering around in the game to be so interesting and enjoyable.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I haven't played much of BOTW, but I watched my cousin play it a fair bit... and to me it looks abit empty. I don't doubt that there are heaps of interesting things to do, but it seems like you spend most of the game jogging through empty fields.

I think Witcher 3 is still the benchmark.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I wouldn't say best, they did follow a lot of open world trappings that we've seen a dozen times, and had tons of room to add onto their versions and didn't do it so much.

I've collected everything in Open Worlds, but nothing pained me more than collecting Korok Seeds and finding Shrines. Most games feel like sparadic random placements, but if you do main story you tend to be within vicinity, especially doing side content.

I think foundation is laid for a potential masterpiece level game, but they're gonna have to do a lot more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Pros

-Almost nothing feels copy pasted

- Freedom to do any order, including going straight to the end boss, climb anything, interact with anything

-An artistic triumph

- Leveling up doesn't feel like grinding at any point

- Creativity through the buthole, not a patch of land feels wasted

- Practically no bugs on launch

- Mostly excellent DLC, barring "advantage" items

- A well told, not in your face, it's there if you want it story

- Horse mounts feel like more an actual horse, which many games really don't do well

Cons

- You can just abuse the shit of out consumables that make leveling up harts and armor upgrades almost pointless

- Weapon breakage doesn't create interesting strategy, it messes up the flow of combat constantly pausing

----

Overall, maybe. Possibly. Certainly makes Bethesda and Ubisoft's attempt comparatively embarrassing.

I'm amazed Assassins Sheet is scoring so high coming out after BOTW, shit should be slaughtered.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

My biggest critique of the game is also its greatest asset: not having a directed story, which also happened to be the permission slip to just do whatever you wanted and not feel guilty about it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@REVOLUTIONfreak: I agree. I'm not sure I can say it "does it best" because the thing that stands out and makes it special is also its worst point depending on your mood or what you want from an adventure game at the time.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Possibly, it's the best one I've played so far anyway.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11085 Posts

I don't know about best, but it does it REALLY well. It's got a tremendous sense of exploration and the locales are really unique. Everything from giant statues to imposing mazes, there's always something of awe to check out. There's nothing like looking out toward the horizon and seeing a giant fucking dragon.

Some Japanese devs don't do open worlds all that successfully, but Nintendo knocked it out of the park in my opinion.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

It's most definitely one of the best. It's between BotW and Witcher 3.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I'd say that it's equal best with The Witcher 3.

They both focus on different things.

BOTW has one of the most interactive and immersive open worlds ever made, where you've got this unbounded sense of exploration.

The Witcher 3 was brilliant in a different way, adding unprecedented character and storytelling to every environment.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

From a gameplay standpoint, BOTW does open-world best.

But from a narrative standpoint, not really.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Botw is boring, empty and the weapons break every swing with no sense of accomplishment in the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Once red dead 2 come outs BofW will look like a bacteria compared to red dead 2. Witcher 3 will look like a fly.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If players like its world? Sure. Me? I like open-world that sort of mimics the real world. So, many of BotW's mechanics wouldn't work for me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nope. It's easily The Witcher 3.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I’d say they nail different aspects. The game mechanica of TW3 are very meh but the writing, lore and atmosphere are all top notch. BOTW’s game mechanics are top notch but the writing is non-existent.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

As other have mentioned, it really depends on what you want from the game whatever you prefer TW3 or BOTW...

One thing is for sure though, when Bethesda releases fo5 or The next elderscrolls I hope to god they either have upped their game a LOT or they get crushed by press, the bar has been raised and TBH I ain’t sure Bethesda have what it takes anymore...

I mean who want to play another buggy mess of a open world game in a world where giants like TW3 and BOTW exists?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

No. its STALKER shadow of chernoboyl.

I like open world that doesnot force on you. that doesnot offer timeless traveling from point A to point B. what Stalker did was truely something unique. it was sandbox game but not fully open world.

game worlds like gta, far cry, assassins creed, witcher 3 only involve travelling from point A to point B. with many boring sidequest as a reuslt these games get boring very very fast.

games like STALKER, Crysis 1, Deus Ex, doesnot. and soon Metro Exodus will fall in this category.

Semi open world games are best.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I could easily get lost and find something interesting to do.

Yeah? Like what? People always claim that there's so much to do and it's so super interesting but they never actually share what's so interesting. Maybe your bar for interesting is just very low. So please tell.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Indeed. The bar has been raised by Ninty and have yet to be surpassed.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

NO!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

strictly speaking on the open world element part of the game: its certainly one of the best.

a lot of other developers try to control the open world aspect in some way but nintendo just really embraced it. a basic example is the approach to the start. the game spends some time letting you play around with the rules with the game in a more confined space (relatively speaking) then just opens everything up. it shows you where the end game is and doesnt put some stupid rule in place that stops you from going to it. it also gives you a recommended direction to go in then lets you do whatever you want. it's very morrowind-esque and thats a very good thing.

the other thing is that nintendo just turned it into a big playground. the basic example is having to mark things on the map yourself. it makes you think and gets you more involved in the world. you need to look at it more, figure out how you are going to get somewhere. do you have enough stamina to climb that hill? do you have potions to deal with the heat? is lightening coming? and so on. its a big world with rules that keep the player constantly engaged.

i mean some of the story telling they did in BOTW was very elegant. the map itself tells its own story and the main story fleshes it out which is also a very nice approach to story telling in games.

a lot of other developers treat the open world just as a means of travelling from one quest to the next. its a linear design philosophy applied to a game with a big map. they dont really think about what they can do with that big map. they also really dont trust either the player or their own systems in the game so they keep a tighter grip on the player.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

The interaction is good, but it was very repetitive.

You can argue skyrim is "copy paste" in many places... but at least it had more variety in themes, enemies and you had pleanty of places to plunder.

Somehow I didn't find doing wind-jump puzzles, or rolling rocks down cliffs, or pickup up every rock to be... very ... interesting... at all.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Whereas I lost interest and forced myself to finish BOTW. It isn’t all that interesting a world imo. Witcher 3 beats it easily imo.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Multiple Sandbox design of Metro Exodus will surpassed it easily.

or if we are talking about full open world games than Rage 2 will also surpassed it.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I like it more than witcher 3, the story is too force fed in witcher, its a big open world but it doesnt feel like it sometimes. Botw was the more enjoyable experience imo, also to much text box's in witcher, many times I wanted the characters to shut up

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

no there is now a metric TON of games out that are far more open world then these games are, not even remotely close

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

As far as the open-world goes I feel BoTW is easily one of the best examples on how to do it right. It doesn't feel barren and you get the feel that the world was crafted with a lot of care. Not a fan of the weapon-breaking system though.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that this is the first open-world game that made me want to turn off the mini-map and just immerse myself into the game's world without gluing my eyes to the tiny map in the corner. Best decision ever.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Easily. There’s no open world game so polished and with such intricate physics systems. Plus, the total and complete freedom of movement where you can climb and reach any place you see is incredible. It’s no where near barren if you like adventure and discovering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

GTA 3 and Shenmue 1 have the best open worlds so far imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#35 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

To me the open world approach on BotW is the best yet to date. I love to do trekking in real life and the way that world works is to this date the best in capturing that feeling.

I'm hoping RDR2 pushes that even further.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

There are better. But it’s certainly good, just unfortunate that it sacrifices quality dungeons in exchange.

Horizon and MGSV come immediately to mind, while I’m more of the mind that Zelda is on the inFamous:SS tier (good for the time, but long-term it won’t be considered among the best).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

or if we are talking about full open world games than Rage 2 will also surpassed it.

How?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

There's nothing in BotW, so no. Shenmue II and the Witcher III do open worlds best, imo.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Nah, The Witcher 3 is.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: hey Renegade, was playing Yakuza Kiwami 2. I won the first two championships of the Grand Prix haha. This game is so funny.

@osan0: well said, that's more in line with how I feel about the game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade_Fury

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, it's hilarious. Cabaret Grand Prix is my favorite mini game in the series, even more so than karaoke, and no joke, I was probably more hyped for its return and being a sequel to Y0's cabaret storyline than going through the main game's plot, lol.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14895 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

There's nothing in BotW, so no. Shenmue II and the Witcher III do open worlds best, imo.

No, TW3 is a great RPG, not a great open world game.

Even Assassin's Creed Odyssey beats TW3 as an open world game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@texasgoldrush said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Uh, ok? Genre qualifications are probably the least interesting game related subjects to me, especially when people treat them like taxonomy debates. If you can trot around a little open space, that's good enough for me.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14895 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Uh, ok? Genre qualifications are probably the least interesting game related subjects to me, especially when people treat them like taxonomy debates. If you can trot around a little open space, that's good enough for me.

Trotting around space doesn't make for a good open world game.

Good open world games rely on good systems, TW3 barely has it, and really the open world is a set up for the story in TW3, not a real gameplay element.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Renegade_Fury

@texasgoldrush said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Trotting around space doesn't make for a good open world game.

Good open world games rely on good systems, TW3 barely has it, and really the open world is a set up for the story in TW3, not a real gameplay element.

I guess you didn't read what I wrote the first time, so I'll write it again: Genre qualifications are probably the least interesting game related subjects to me. There are no real rules to any of this, as it's all arbitrary. Case in point, I can call Yakuza open world too, just as easily as I can categorize it under Action Adventure, Beat 'em up, JRPG, or even all of the above.

So yeah, I'll be continuing to call the Witcher III one of the best open world games, and my favorite of the gen, no less.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

How?

see Crysis 1 and STALKER.

also having multiple sandbox is much better than fully one big open world.

also zelda is childish game anyways.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

Yes.

Pros:

- BotW's mechanics are so robust and the world so detailed and reactive that almost any gameplay scenario you imagine can actually happen.

- The progression system and exploration feels far more organic and rewarding than most other open-world games (though it is easy to become quite overpowered.)

- Most roadblocks found in the world can be overcome through sheer ingenuity (e.g. Don't have the proper clothes to survive in a snowy area? Equip a fire weapon. Don't have enough stamina to climb this cliff? Burn the grass around you to create updrafts for your paraglider. etc.)

- Traversal is way more fun and varied then most other fantasy open-world games. It makes me miss mechanics like climbing and shield surfing when I play something like Horizon or TW3.

- BotW is one of the few open world games that lives up to the genre's name, being quite literally an open world. From the moment you've left the tutorial area, the entire world is your oyster; all of the content in the game is accessible to you in whatever order you choose to do it in. Being able to traverse the map that freely makes your adventure through Hyrule feel much more liberating and personal.

- The game is aesthetically pleasing in every sense of the term. The Ghibli-esque, cel-shaded, artstyle manages to be visually stunning, despite not being made for the most powerful hardware ever.

Cons:

- The narrative in this game is virtually nonexistent (which could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it.)

- The sidequests are sort of hit or miss, as you could either end up with an amazing quest like the Tarrey Town questline or Kass missions or just a dull "collect 10 apples" quest. There are definitely some great and memorable ones, but many of them feel like filler.

- The Divine Beasts were a letdown and ultimately felt like an afterthought.

BotW presents a sublime open-world achievement brimming with creativity, detail, and polish. It has its drawbacks, but, ultimately, playing BotW felt like witnessing an open-world renaissance: a game that manages to tower over a sea of other games in a genre that feels far too much like a dime a dozen in today's gaming landscape.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

It really depends on what you are looking for in open world games. I personally love it the most, but I enjoy wandering and the lonely feeling the game has to it. Other might prefer games with a ton of NPCs and quests. It really comes down to personal preference.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

also zelda is childish game anyways.

Sounds like someone has to express their maturity insecurities in the most obnoxious way possible.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22673 Posts

Yes. It's top of the class until otherwise dethroned