Does anyone still have any rosy delusions that either next gen console will be less than $500?

  • 104 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for boxrekt
#1 Edited by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -

A while ago before PS5 and Xbox Next had official announcements and we still thought there would be 2 next gen xbox SKU's (seems scrapped) there were a LOT of individuals arguing that PS5 would be $400 based on the logic that because PS4 was $400.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/analyst-believe-ps5-will-be-3600g-launch-at-399-33457388/

Is there anyone left who still holds onto this flimsy train of thinking?

I argued long ago that PS5 would be $500 and there were a lot of posters saying I was wrong based on that fact that PS4's launch price was $400, saying $400 was the lol, "sweet spot" and taking Cermy's comments on pricing out of context.

Sadly it seemed to be mostly Sony fans who tried to argue this.

Do you still hold on that $399 pipe dream?

Avatar image for heirren
#2 Posted by Heirren (1512 posts) -

With the trend towards subscriotion models its very possible.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#3 Posted by SecretPolice (35330 posts) -

Scarlet = $399.99

Anaconda = $599.99.. I'll take two please. :P

Avatar image for boxrekt
#4 Posted by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:

Scarlet = $399.99

Anaconda = $599.99.. I'll take two please. :P

lol for a self proclaimed xbox fan you sure are out of the loop. lol what do you think "Scarlet" is?

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#5 Posted by SecretPolice (35330 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@SecretPolice said:

Scarlet = $399.99

Anaconda = $599.99.. I'll take two please. :P

lol for a self proclaimed xbox fan you sure are out of the loop. lol what do you think "Scarlet" is?

Umm, how so? I'm gonna go out on a very thin limb here a say, Scarlet, in this context is the code name for One of MS's new consoles?

What do I win? What ever it is I want two. lolol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#6 Posted by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

I could see there being a version for under $500 if they go the route of releasing a high end and a low end version at the same time. The high end version would be at least $500 though and only a fool would buy the low end version.

Avatar image for Nike_Air
#7 Edited by Nike_Air (19311 posts) -

Even if/when they start at $500 , they will very likely have a pricedrop after the first year. They won't be $500 for long.

Avatar image for kuu2
#8 Posted by kuu2 (11155 posts) -

Don’t care either way. Like Sony said, “work extra” to get one.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#9 Edited by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:
@boxrekt said:
@SecretPolice said:

Scarlet = $399.99

Anaconda = $599.99.. I'll take two please. :P

lol for a self proclaimed xbox fan you sure are out of the loop. lol what do you think "Scarlet" is?

Umm, how so? I'm gonna go out on a very thin limb here a say, Scarlet, in this context is the code name for One of MS's new consoles?

What do I win? What ever it is I want two. lolol :P

Not quite.

Project Scarlett is the next Xbox console, launching in holiday 2020

Last year, through press events and a series of leaks, we learned Microsoft had begun designing a suite of next-generation hardware under the codename “Scarlett.” The company planned to release at least two pieces of hardware, a higher-end traditional system codenamed “Anaconda,” and a lower-cost, streaming-focused device codenamed “Lockhart.”

“Anaconda” appears to be what we now know as Project Scarlett.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/9/18657985/microsoft-xbox-e3-2019-console-details-project-scarlett

At this point "lockheart" may not even exist anymore and may be complete scrapped.

There are various rumblings that developers pushed back on the idea of MS trying to add another lower end system as the start of the generation to have to code for.

This may be the reason why Phil, at this years E3, spoke about Scarlet (aka anaconda) being there next generation console (singular) with no mention of lockheart.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#10 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

$499 for me at least

Fight will probably be in the freebies they attach.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#11 Posted by sakaiXx (5680 posts) -

Yes. $450 the most I will spend. I will not budge, unless somehow From & Sony get it together and do Bloodborne 2, Konami remembers Suikoden 6 and TLoU part 3 is there.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#12 Edited by SecretPolice (35330 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@SecretPolice said:
@boxrekt said:
@SecretPolice said:

Scarlet = $399.99

Anaconda = $599.99.. I'll take two please. :P

lol for a self proclaimed xbox fan you sure are out of the loop. lol what do you think "Scarlet" is?

Umm, how so? I'm gonna go out on a very thin limb here a say, Scarlet, in this context is the code name for One of MS's new consoles?

What do I win? What ever it is I want two. lolol :P

Not quite.

Project Scarlett is the next Xbox console, launching in holiday 2020

Last year, through press events and a series of leaks, we learned Microsoft had begun designing a suite of next-generation hardware under the codename “Scarlett.” The company planned to release at least two pieces of hardware, a higher-end traditional system codenamed “Anaconda,” and a lower-cost, streaming-focused device codenamed “Lockhart.”

“Anaconda” appears to be what we now know as Project Scarlett.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/9/18657985/microsoft-xbox-e3-2019-console-details-project-scarlett

At this point "lockheart" may not even exist anymore and may be complete scrapped.

There are various rumblings that developers pushed back on the idea of MS trying to add another lower end system as the start of the generation to have to code for.

This may be the reason why Phil, at this years E3, spoke about Scarlet (aka anaconda) being there next generation console (singular) with no mention of lockheart.

Phffft, that's like just lol Polygon's opinion man. "insert Dude gif here"

For a better source...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-scarlett-isnt-microsofts-last-console-and-mor/1100-6467766/

"Additionally, Spencer said in the interview that Microsoft hasn't settled on a name for Project Scarlett as of yet. "I honestly don't know what the name is; we don't have a list of names," he said. Project Scarlett is rumored to be the overarching name of Microsoft's next-generation console strategy, comprising both a high-end system, codenamed Anaconda, and a lower-spec model reportedly codenamed Lockhart.

NDA prohibits me from being precise but...

SuperMighty Anaconda MegaMonsterSnakeBox is coming for you. Quick, hide under your bed before it gets you. lol :P

Avatar image for Ant_17
#13 Posted by Ant_17 (12541 posts) -

Yes, much like Mario, i like this pipe dream.

Avatar image for Pedro
#14 Posted by Pedro (34918 posts) -

I know Xbox would be 500, can't say the same for Sony.

Avatar image for davillain-
#15 Posted by DaVillain- (36912 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I know Xbox would be 500, can't say the same for Sony.

I expect both PS5/Xbox Scarlet to be price at $500 only. I think both learned their lessons to not go beyond $500. $600, you better show me what I'm dealing with.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (28133 posts) -

Well of course they’ll be under $500. They’ll be $499.99. :P

Avatar image for jeezers
#17 Posted by jeezers (3013 posts) -

Could be in the 400-500 range, hardware isnt necessarily the money maker any more, its the software and services that make the money.

Many companies will sacrifice profits on hardware to assure a bigger customer base.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#18 Posted by mojito1988 (3637 posts) -

Does not matter to me. If they offer games I want to play I will buy them. Simple as that.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#19 Posted by drummerdave9099 (4113 posts) -

Only way I'd pay $500 is if Microsoft included a full year of Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass :P

Avatar image for boxrekt
#20 Posted by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -
@drummerdave9099 said:

Only way I'd pay $500 is if Microsoft included a full year of Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass :P

Did they offer that for the X?

Did they even give xbox fans any games specifically designed to take advantage of that hardware? Good luck with that one.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#21 Posted by Random_Matt (4244 posts) -

$399 - $449

We know the navi desktop parts, consoles will certainly not be using a 200W part. Although, the entry 200 Euro 570 motherboards may tilt people into buying a console. AMD are not catering to budget anymore, maybe the consoles will be more expensive.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#22 Posted by lamprey263 (36143 posts) -

Well, the streaming box shouldn't cost half that, and I also wonder if people can also utilize their existing XB1s.

Avatar image for enzyme36
#23 Posted by enzyme36 (4222 posts) -

With a mid gen upgrade at another $500 min. and a $1k TV to boot. Looking like a PC is cost competitive at this point.

Free yourselves!

Avatar image for Heil68
#24 Posted by Heil68 (58242 posts) -

Well SONY is synonymous with VALUE, so it could be a $1000 and it would still be a deal of a lifetime.

Avatar image for heirren
#25 Posted by Heirren (1512 posts) -

@Heil68:

Sony MDR 7506

80 dollars with better audio than 350 dollar Microsoft Surface headphone.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#26 Posted by lamprey263 (36143 posts) -

There was a censored thread about how consoles could cost 25% more in United States if Trump inacts new rounds of proposed tariffs, so even if they initially designed to hit $400 mark, tariffs could raise price to $500. Even worse, say consoles aiming for $500 price without tariff concern, then tariffs hit, launch a console at $625 would suck for everyone.

Avatar image for FinalFighters
#27 Posted by FinalFighters (3197 posts) -

hell, i'd pay $600 if sony added FULL BC with PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games.

Avatar image for lhughey
#28 Posted by lhughey (4642 posts) -

499

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#29 Posted by speedytimsi (966 posts) -

It's probably gonna be $500. 2-3 years lather they are probably gonna release another pro version

Avatar image for bluestars
#30 Posted by Bluestars (164 posts) -

£499 each I recon

Avatar image for boxrekt
#31 Edited by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -
@enzyme36 said:

With a mid gen upgrade at another $500 min. and a $1k TV to boot. Looking like a PC is cost competitive at this point.

Free yourselves!

Already have a gaming PC and it cost more than what Next gen systems will cost and less powerful. And you also mention TV as if a PC monitor is free?

Also lol at the idea someone needs to pay $1000 for a 4k TV in 2019 much less 2020.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6305315.p?skuId=6305315

Avatar image for shellcase86
#32 Posted by shellcase86 (4431 posts) -

$449 is possible.

Avatar image for sealionact
#33 Posted by sealionact (3961 posts) -

@enzyme36: Why, you don't need a TV to play with PC?

Avatar image for Pedro
#34 Posted by Pedro (34918 posts) -
@sealionact said:

@enzyme36: Why, you don't need a TV to play with PC?

Because the monitors are builtin DUH. :P

Avatar image for 2Chalupas
#35 Posted by 2Chalupas (7084 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@enzyme36 said:

With a mid gen upgrade at another $500 min. and a $1k TV to boot. Looking like a PC is cost competitive at this point.

Free yourselves!

Already have a gaming PC and it cost more than what Next gen systems will cost and less powerful. And you also mention TV as if a PC monitor is free?

Also lol at the idea someone needs to pay $1000 for a 4k TV in 2019 much less 2020.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6305315.p?skuId=6305315

Sure if you want a junk TV. That is a decent TV on a pauper budget, but it can't even really do HDR properly even though it claims Dolby Vision. What's the point of a 4K TV that doesn't even have the color range or brightness to do HDR?

That being said, for a 50" you don't need to spend anywhere near $1000 to get decent quality. But for larger sizes you pretty much do. I'd say if you want 65" or above, probably still takes $1000 to get even a decent quality with the better screens still pushing $1500-2000.

That being said, not sure what the TV has to do with console. Most people already have a TV. Not everyone has a separate desktop monitor, that's why that monitor gets factored in to "gaming" desktops. Hell, nowadays some people don't even bother with desks anymore. Since my last move, I don't even have a computer desk. So if I wanted to go back to PC gaming I'd probably have to factor that in as well. Unless I wanted to set it up on the kitchen counter.

Avatar image for 2Chalupas
#36 Posted by 2Chalupas (7084 posts) -

Next gen pricing for dummies: (free advice to MS and Sony executives, though I really should charge a fee for this).

  • If you want slow sales like XBOX One start your console at $499 or more.
  • If you want fast sales like PS4, start your console at $399 or less.

That concludes our strategy session.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#37 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4747 posts) -

I really DON'T want to pay $500 for a console now, especially after I just invested in new PC parts. I don't know what to expect out of the first year of PS5 (the only console I'll buy). Are we looking at a crossgen TLoU2 as the one must have hot game? I just don't want to be hit with a lull while we wait on good exclusives. I want my 5 large to go a long way, not just playing back compat stuff.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#38 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25375 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I really DON'T want to pay $500 for a console now, especially after I just invested in new PC parts. I don't know what to expect out of the first year of PS5 (the only console I'll buy). Are we looking at a crossgen TLoU2 as the one must have hot game? I just don't want to be hit with a lull while we wait on good exclusives. I want my 5 large to go a long way, not just playing back compat stuff.

I'm in the opposite boat. Never wasted any money on a PS4, so getting a PS5 will allow me to play all the exclusives. I may pull the trigger on it; I have a friend that wants to loan a bunch of the games to me for free.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#39 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

With a mid gen upgrade at another $500 min. and a $1k TV to boot. Looking like a PC is cost competitive at this point.

Free yourselves!

A 1K TV wont give you all features the coming consoles will have HDR with FALD or OLED/FreeSync/HDMI 2.1... You are looking at a $1500+ TV and you need a good speaker setup which will set you back at the least $200-300.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#40 Edited by uninspiredcup (33666 posts) -

Probably jack the game prices as well.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#41 Posted by I_P_Daily (12025 posts) -

$700 minimum, you can bank on it.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#42 Edited by BoxRekt (1733 posts) -
@2Chalupas said:

Next gen pricing for dummies: (free advice to MS and Sony executives, though I really should charge a fee for this).

  • If you want slow sales like XBOX One start your console at $499 or more.
  • If you want fast sales like PS4, start your console at $399 or less.

That concludes our strategy session.

It's really not that simple.

Sure if you want mini sub-next gen upgrade with 0 real value you can go a cheap as $299 hell let's just drop it to $199 since we're being generous?

Advancements in hardware and technology comes at a price!

If you really want to enjoy a worthwhile transition from this gen to the next you need to come to terms with the worth of the product being provided to you and not just what you want to pay.

Even at $500 MS and Sony will both be taking a healthy hit on every console sold. Don't think for an instant the price we pay comes close to what it actually cost cost Sony or MS to manufacture these units.

Come to grips with that or just stick with your current gen hardware if you're not ready for a generational leap in your gaming experience.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
#43 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10445 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Scarlett is 4 times the power of Scorpio(CPU). It's a console.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#44 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3242 posts) -

I know console gamers are cheap af, but for their sake I hope these consoles launch at $499 at a minimum. Anything less means the leap in tech won’t be worth it.

PC gamers are excited over $500 and $750 Ryzen CPUs, but console gamers don’t wanna spend more than $399 on the whole package? There are no words...

Avatar image for super600
#45 Edited by super600 (32453 posts) -

Both are most likely going to be in the 400-500 USD range at launch since the costs of the components being used for the consoles will likely drop between now and Holiday 2020.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#46 Edited by I_P_Daily (12025 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

I know console gamers are cheap af, but for their sake I hope these consoles launch at $499 at a minimum. Anything less means the leap in tech won’t be worth it.

PC gamers are excited over $500 and $750 Ryzen CPUs, but console gamers don’t wanna spend more than $399 on the whole package? There are no words...

Yeah console gamers spend more money on games and thus support the people who MAKE games and PC gamers spend more money on hardware which supports tech companies who DON'T make games, and yet we're the cheap ones.

And you talk about the leap in tech won't be worth it and yet you champion the Switch which came out after the XB1/PS4 and is a leap backwards in tech.

So you of all people can't bitch about any of this because it makes you a hypocrite.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#47 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3242 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Yeah console gamers spend more money on games and thus support the people who MAKE games and PC gamers spend more money on hardware which supports tech companies who DON'T make games, and yet we're the cheap ones.

And you talk about the leap in tech won't be worth it and yet you champion the Switch which came out after the XB1/PS4 and is a leap backwards in tech.

So you of all people can't bitch about any of this because it makes you a hypocrite.

The Switch offers an experience the other 2 don't provide. That by definition is a leap forward in tech. There are over a dozen AAA 3rd party games and dozens of 3rd party indies now that are on the Switch and can be played anywhere. You're tied to your t.v. or at best relying on a fast internet connection to stream.

And your first sentence doesn't make any sense. The cost of a new GPU/CPU is far more expensive than a $60. AND don't act like console gamers on this forum don't bitch about $60 games, paying for DLC or microtransactions etc. Yeah, y'all are cheap. Your silly example doesn't disprove that.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#48 Posted by xantufrog (11513 posts) -

If it's 500, then I'm just even less likely to impulse buy it. Wait a year or two until it has a decent library and lower price. That's the name of the game in general

Avatar image for Bond007uk
#49 Posted by Bond007uk (923 posts) -

Sorry, don't take this the wrong way, but is there some red line on the price of consoles that console only gamer's don't like or won't cross?

In my opinion even a $600 console is a good price compared to a PC equivalent. My One X cost £450 GBP, my PC currently stands at £1100!

Avatar image for Pedro
#50 Posted by Pedro (34918 posts) -

It's odd reading the Switch offering an experience the PS4 and Xbox One doesn't provide as if portability is a new experience in gaming or makes a game somehow better. Paying more for less is definitely an experience.😯