Does anybody else have this cheap ass of a friend...

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Does anybody else have this type of friend who lives in some sort of the technological past ? When everybody else is into Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC Master Race with its latest GPUs, avidly discussing new game releases, exclusives, etc. There is always one guy... One cheap ass bastard...Who just has replaced his PS2 with PS3. At fucking 50 bucks and another 50 for 30+ games. And he's good for another 5 years.

And then comes me or you who buy their systems at launch paying hundreds of dollars, but eventually 5-7 year later we gonna sell our powerful elite devices for 50 bucks to some hippy who will enjoy it much more than us. And then comes me with PS4, PS3, Steam library of 400 games, and I don't know what to play.

I don't know if my friend is cheap ass son of a gun OR a fucking genius with the patience of fucking Budda.

Every time I meet him and we discuss games we played, and he tells me how little he paid for his...I am always like

And it's not only the case of console gaming "vultures" lol I have a friend who has just built his dream uberpowerful gaming PC...if it were 5 years ago. Using used parts. 200 bucks in total. Now he's excited to be able to play 7 year old games on his brand new hd screen from 2006.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Yeah, we're the strange ones, sorry.

Your buddy has it the right way. Back playing complete games without loot boxes.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah I've known people who purposefully stay a gen behind. I couldn't do it myself, but if you have the patience for it then damn, hell yeah. Everything being dirt cheap, not waiting on any releases? Crazy.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Your friend is just thrifty..that's actually very good. ;)

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Yeah ive got a few of these mates. Only new release they ever buy is the 2k series. Once that stops releasing for previous gen consoles, they'll make the jump up. Until there, no need apparently!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm playing the whole lot of STALKER games while everybody else seems to have finished with them. I don't give a shit. I enjoy what I enjoy.

Call of Pripyat, Call of Chernobyl, Call of Misery, Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky

During the PC LAN days, I use to have 2-3 recent upper-tier, gaming PCs. Now that I quit MP, I'm fine with a single old mid-range one.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Yes, and he’s awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
deactivated-5a35ee62233ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-5a35ee62233ad
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

I actually became like that. I brought a PS3 2 years after it came out and I'm still playing it. I also went back and play games I missed or classics. I'm just not impressed by the current offering of current gen so I still don't own one. Though Valkyria Chronicles 4 might change my mind.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I always have a ridiculous backlog. So, it is not uncommon for me to play games 5+ years old on my high end rig. I always keep up to date with hardware and the latest releases, but I prioritize all my games. So, if there is a new game that I really want to play, it goes to the top. If there are older games that I want to play more, I will hold off on the new stuff. This has actually altered my buying habits. I no longer buy all the latest releases right away. I now save a lot of money by buying games when I am ready to play them.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Yes, and I envy them. $250 Custom built PC and they can already run this latest game in medium quality.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Actually no. But that sounds like a very smart thing to do.

NakedHeadcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NakedHeadcrab
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

Your friend kind of reminds me of... me, having a blast with a PS2 in 2010, 10 years after its release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I wish I was that guy. I'm fine playing old games but then there's Zelda, Bloodborne or Forza Horizon 3 and I have to be in the moment. No way I'm waiting 5 to 8 years to play them.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#14 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

Nah, that seems pretty reasonable.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#15 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@ivangrozny: I don't understand why your so upset with him?He seems happy and content with what he's doing.Lighten up.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

While I've never been an entire generation behind, neither have I been an early adopter. Especially not buying new systems at launch. And I've often said that early adoption is a fool's gambit, paying a premium price for a system when it has the fewest games. Waiting for it to drop in price not only saves on the cost of entry, but also investing when there's a better selection of games to utilize that purchase. It's the difference between paying more for less, and paying less for more. What seems wiser to you?

And that's before even getting into the possibility of faulty launch models, so there's the risk in uncertain tech reliability, and risk of library uncertainty, as much as manufacturers make promises of games in the first 6 months, that's never really assured.

Like I said I'm never that far behind but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who does reserve themselves. They can transition when they're good and ready to. Gaming isn't reserved as a "rich man's hobby", available only to those willing to splurge for the bleeding edge tech. Even in PC there's a diverse range of builds across a wide spectrum of budgets that can still accommodate modern games, not just older gen titles. Gaming should be affordable and accessible, and those that can indulge in luxury can still enjoy the higher perks.

But your attitude, @ivangrozny .... it's what perpetuates the image of gamer elitism.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Yeah, we're the strange ones, sorry.

Your buddy has it the right way. Back playing complete games without loot boxes.

Yeah, but his buddy will be PISSED in about 10 years! LOL.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Just talked with a guy yesterday who still plays his PS2 and I kinda got the picture that he ONLY has a PS2. Holy **** :D

Edit: Oh and before me my GF had a NES and a PS2. She now has my 3DS XL and Vita sitting at her parents house and my PS3. Just loaning them since I don't really play them. However I've given her my old white PS4, my Xbox One (which she'll get to replace with my Xbone S soon) and bought her a Switch.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Smart guy. I wish I had that kind of patience and indifference tbh

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts
@valgaav_219 said:

Smart guy. I wish I had that kind of patience and indifference tbh

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I'm that guy. I'm not shelling 100$ per games + 400$ system to play a handfull of hours

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

That would describe a few of my mates, I'm really the odd one out with keeping up to date with tech and gaming.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I didn't have my PS4 until only a year ago. And I still play my PS3 from time to time. I don't understand why you are so angry about him. He enjoyes gaming how he wants. Not everybody need to play all the newest games. Play what you enjoy. And If money is the reason he still plays PS3 games, that's a good thing too. Nowadays PS3 games cheap as heaven. Good time to play them.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

lol I used to do that.