Does 3rd Party Exclusivity Annoy You?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Having been gaming for quite a few generations now, I've seen the industry evolve exponentially. One of the things I've seen go in and out of "style" is third party exclusivity.

Does it annoy the gamers though?

It didn't used to annoy me as much. It really started when Eidos got in Microsoft's pocket with Tomb Raider last gen. Then Resident Evil on 3DS when PSP was promised an RE game that never released. The reason for the annoyance was because of those being my two favorite series since they had been originally released and now, regardless that I had supported both series for over a decade, wouldn't get the full experience simply because I had PlayStation.

This isn't a thread about why 3rd party companies do this, its me asking you if you've ever been annoyed by the practice and what game or series it was that annoyed you the most.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

No. Because if you really want the game, you must accept that you have to buy the system its on to play it. You aren't entitled to having every game on your desired platform.

AFTER READING FOOTNOTE:

eh, not really. A few Xbox exclusives caught my eye (tales of vesperia), but I have a friend who will let me use his xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

If I want to play a game and it's not on my platform, I either buy the platform or go without. Plenty of other stuff to play, I don't need to whine about it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's hard to keep up sometimes. Also, cases where it goes multiplat and it ends up getting more content is a bit annoying.

Just a lot of jumping around.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#5 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Third Part Exclusivity was much more rampant in the 80s and 90s, be glad that it's not the case now.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I like third party exclusives. Gives me more reason to actually want other devices other than first party titles.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yes, I don't like it.

I once bought the 360 version of GTA 4 because of the timed-exclusive DLC (I didn't know it was timed) which was released on PS3 at a later date, then ended up selling the 360 version...

Never again... never again, and **** DLCs. Not going to bother with them again.

The above is about DLCs, now on the real subject - yes, it annoys me because I don't want to buy a console for certain games. I want all of them on my PC. I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption. I have no respect for Rockstar because of this, late GTA releases on PC and they are also buggy.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I actually wish there were more 3rd party exclusives like we had in the snes/genesis, PS1/N64 days. It actually gives a person a clear reason to pick one console over the other. Now a days there are only a few titles a year exclusive to each console and the best games are usually multiplat.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's hard to keep up sometimes. Also, cases where it goes multiplat and it ends up getting more content is a bit annoying.

Just a lot of jumping around.

hello sexy

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to play all of the Kingdom Hearts titles, thank goodness, but if I didn't I would have always been missing a piece of the story which would have been rather annoying. And it wouldn't bother me that much if Square-Enix didn't separate releases onto every console they can.

I also don't watch Let's Play videos on Youtube or watch the cutscenes to get the story out of a game I don't play, just not my thing, so it would have bummed me out a bit.

Otherwise, I just go without the game. It's not too big of a deal to me as I have always had a bit of a backlog to get through.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Were you annoyed by the exclusivity that Playstation has had over the years?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

No, I can just focus on what the console or consoles I am supporting have to offer and I feel I will be okay.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

No.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

No, gaming generally isn't an expensive hobby so if a system has the games I have no qualms buying it. Now the time to play it all... that's a different story.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Used to... A LOT (back then, I was one of those who was disappointed that Soul Calibur III wasn't on the GameCube despite SC II still selling well on that system). Now? Not so much.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Erick_Colletti
Member since 2011 • 38 Posts

Yes, it's stupid. Each console should have a mascot that's exclusive, but that's it. Ya know, Master Chief for Xbox and Mario for Nintendo. Sony doesn't have a mascot; pretty stupid branding.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Not that I remember, TC. If I really want to play something, I buy what's needed. Some say "its stupid to buy a console for one game". Well, I have been at this for over 30 years now, and one thing I learned is: one game can trigger me to buy, and as surely as night follows day, more games get released for the platform.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#18 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It only bothers me when they do it for seemingly no reason. Like the Gears of War series excluding the first one.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

So you must really hate the PS3 and Xbox.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

No, it doesn't bother me at all. However, with that said, I do dislike "timed exclusivity" especially in relation to "exclusive window" poo that Microsoft went with which caused me to wait a month--twice mind you--for Skyrim DLC. :(

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Nope. Gaming for me is a hobby. For Sony and MS its a cut throat business. Doesn't matter to me in the least.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

What I find weird is having an exclusive game to a serie on another console. I'm thinking of Kingdom Hearts or Final fantasy XII

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

No, it doesn't bother me at all. However, with that said, I do dislike "timed exclusivity" especially in relation to "exclusive window" poo that Microsoft went with which caused me to wait a month--twice mind you--for Skyrim DLC. :(

I have no issue with timed exclusivity. I mean no reason anybody shouldn't just be patient to get the content. If you ask me, the biggest evil of exclusivity is retail exclusive content. We've seen this where certain materials can only be obtained by purchasing from different retailers; Gamestop, Bestbuy, Futureshop, Walmart, Amazon, and each with a different item.

When content is exclusive by platform, it's tough for some gamers to decide which version of the game they'll pick up. For single system owners, they'll end up getting the pre-determined copy of the game no matter what.

But the separation of material between retailers is far worse. While some gamers might be willing get multiple copies to play on each system, having to rebuy the same game on the same platform is detestable when the same platform user base has to be divided on the goods.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#24 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I have no issue with timed exclusivity. I mean no reason anybody shouldn't just be patient to get the content. If you ask me, the biggest evil of exclusivity is retail exclusive content. We've seen this where certain materials can only be obtained by purchasing from different retailers; Gamestop, Bestbuy, Futureshop, Walmart, Amazon, and each with a different item.

When content is exclusive by platform, it's tough for some gamers to decide which version of the game they'll pick up. For single system owners, they'll end up getting the pre-determined copy of the game no matter what.

But the separation of material between retailers is far worse. While some gamers might be willing get multiple copies to play on each system, having to rebuy the same game on the same platform is detestable when the same platform user base has to be divided on the goods.

That is a fair point indeed, and I would add on to that the lame "preorder" bonuses that come with that exclusive content. I hate preorder exclusive bonuses.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

only annoys me when the third party had no intentions in being exclusive but a certain company pays them off to not have their game on other plat forms.

Third party companies like Insomniac with Resistance/Ratchet and Cryteck with Ryse, doesnt annoy me cuz they had the intentions since day one to make an exclusive game, but shit like Titan Fall where they had everything ready then came M$ and paid them off.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

sometimes exclusivity is the only way for a game to garner any attention at all, sometimes it's harder for a multiplat to sell on its merits alone so going exclusive is bound to get something a lot of attention

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I don't feel Eidos favored MS last gen, the PS3 wasn't out when Legend released and many devs had problems bringing games to the PS3 early on when Anniversary released. Eidos still brought both games to the PS2 and brought both to PS3 when they released the trilogy. Neither games were exclusives.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

Not really, it's their game, they can release it for any platform they want.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

It depends, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 exclusively on Wii U doesnt bother me at all because Nintendo was the only publisher willing to pay for the games.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Not really because I don't feel entitled to anything. Nintendo fan here that typically ends up buying a companion system for 3rd party games. Though this generation i'm being a little more patient to see where the 3rd party games I care about go.