Do you value playtime/engagement or quality more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you value playtime/engagement or quality more? (21 votes)

Playtime/Engagement 29%
Quality 71%

Do you prefer games that can draw you in and that you can play for a long time (that might end up sacrificing moment-to-moment quality in favor of long play sessions or games that may not be as big, but may offer a better experience in shorter bursts?

I personally don't really care about the length of games, I only care if they are a meaningful and fun experience. So for me, quality. Probably why I gravitate to indies a lot.

• 
ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

I don't bother if the game is short or long, what matters is if it's good. There are long games that feel like a chore and short ones that are a joyride, I'd rather the joyride.

But if given the choice, I'd have a long and joyride game like persona 5, or older final fantasy games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I value quality over playtime myself.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If that's how you want to differentiate games, I'll go with quality. Explains a good number of my preferences.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Quality>Quantity. Every single time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

Engagement is directly linked to quality. I don't understand why you have them separate.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

@BassMan said:

Engagement is directly linked to quality. I don't understand why you have them separate.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Why not both?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

If you are asking if I would rather a long game that has boring padding added to it just to make it longer or a short game that is fun from beginning to end, my answer is definitely the latter.

If a game has too much boring padding added to it just to make it longer, I will probably get frustrated with it and never even finish it. Whereas, if a game is short yet fun from beginning to end, that's probably a game that I will want to replay once in a while, so even though the game might technically be shorter in terms of content, I will most likely get much more playtime out of it in the long run.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Oh I'll take a tighter, finishable game any day over bloated rambling open world tripe with the depth of a puddle that never wants to end. Not sure "engagement" is on the right side of the juxtaposition, though, as others noted

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

My preferred games are things like Total War, Civilisation and RPG's such as The Witcher and Divinity Original sin. I do find short games with little to no replay value to be a rip off. I guess I like playtime, engagement and quality. Probably just as well that they are not things that are exclusive of each other and for that reason I can't vote in your poll.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

quality i guess but it's more than possible to have both

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Um, no. Ever wondered why so many people get hooked on mobile games that have no real depth or good gameplay, but pull you in and make you want to play more? Engagement can be sometimes associated with quality but the two are not one and the same and are not always correlated.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ToonLonk

@princeofshapeir said:

quality i guess but it's more than possible to have both

I am well aware of that but I was talking about which you overall prefer.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Quality.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

@toonlonk said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Um, no. Ever wondered why so many people get hooked on mobile games that have no real depth or good gameplay, but pull you in and make you want to play more? Engagement can be sometimes associated with quality but the two are not one and the same and are not always correlated.

What is quality to you? Quality is what keeps me engaged, i.e. a side quest that has its own clever story and unique characters, and makes for a memorable experience (quality), versus a side quest that is merely a boring fetch quest to kill time. The former is engaging, AND just happens to add playtime to the game. The latter just add playtime.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ToonLonk

@nomadic8280 said:
@toonlonk said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

What is quality to you? Quality is what keeps me engaged, i.e. a side quest that has its own clever story and unique characters, and makes for a memorable experience (quality), versus a side quest that is merely a boring fetch quest to kill time. The former is engaging, AND just happens to add playtime to the game. The latter just add playtime.

Both can happen at the same time, but engagement comes more from pacing, and quality, to me, comes from fun and/or gameplay that can be treated as a true experience. You can have a compelling gameplay loop that could be the best gameplay loop in the entire world, and, if you don't have enough "stuff" to do with it, then players will get bored. That is, at least to me, what quality is. Maybe in retrospect I could have worded my post a little better and I'm sorry for that.