Do you try not to read a review before playing a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you try not to read a review before playing a game? (39 votes)

No, I always have to read reviews. I MUST know what people think about a game before I buy it!! 23%
I do for most games, but there are some games that I will buy regardless of review. 31%
I don't really read or trust reviews. I use my own judgement. 28%
I'm a half and half kind of guy/gal. I'll read reviews before or after a purchase. 18%

Where do you fall in this, SW? I'm more of a half and half guy. I'll read a review even after buying a game. I try to go with my gut feeling on it. What about you, SW?

• 
npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I'll only read reviews if I've never played the series or no nothing about the game, mainly to find out the mechanics of the game, as I don't always like 3rd person. And I don't like turned based.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4218 Posts

I tend to just look at the score and move on. I don’t want to play a game that gets consistent 5s.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Depends on game. Some reviewers are jerks and put spoilers in their reviews so if the game has a story I really don’t want spoiled, I just scroll down to see the score. I’ll read it after I beat the game.

I won’t be reading ANY God Of War reviews. Just checking the scores. Will buy day one anyway. Will read reviews after I beat the game.

Same with RDR2 and TLOU2.

For games like Halo and Gears of war who always have bad stories, I don’t mind taking the risk of having it spoiled because I legit don’t care.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Yeah if I'm super hyped for a game I try to avoid all

• Gameplay videos
  • Reviews
  • Spoilers
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm the opposite, I first get the consensus on games before I buy.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I've always liked games like Battlefield series,Halo series,Trials series,etc... So I know some game series I won't be disappointed with. If it's a new IP, I go with a pretty good judgment for games. I'm rarely disappointed with a game I chose to buy.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I always check aggregate scores. If a game flopped everywhere, it sucks.

I also read individual reviews for games I'm on the fence about buying as they provide more insight into how the game plays.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto

if there is one thing I try not to do with a new game is watch YT videos of game play.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

if there is one thing I try not to do with a new game is watch YT videos of game play.

thats what I always do

I avoid gamespot and ign corupt reviews and watch youtubers first impression videos or lets plays from you tubers I trust

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

If I'm iffy on a game, I just look up gameplay clips. I don't really trust most reviews, and would rather make the judgement for myself. To me, it's like looking at an IMDB rating for a movie and seeing regurgitated tripe like Jurassic World get a 7, when after watching it, I'd maybe give it a 4.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

If it's a game that I want I'll usually buy it anyway but I'll sometimes read discussions to see if it offers what I want. With FPS games I don't really play online so I'll check to see if the single player campaign is good.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I mostly just look at overall score from metacritic. No spoilers that way. But there are games I'll buy before reviews come out regardless.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jun_aka_pekto
@thehig1 said:

thats what I always do

I avoid gamespot and ign corupt reviews and watch youtubers first impression videos or lets plays from you tubers I trust

First impressions are like video reviews. I'm okay with that. I'm talking about the walkthroughs. Sometimes, I wonder how the hell do walkthroughs show up on Day 1.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I always read/watch a review but it’s not necessarily always for making a decision on purchasing a game or not, I just enjoy seeing what the reviews are like.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: oh I see, yeah I agree.

For example total biscuit does good first impression videos with his WTF series

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I avoid reviews because they are always full of spoilers.

Instead, I glance at the meta scores the game is getting in Metacritic, to get some idea where it stands. If the metascore is above 5 it's prolly ok, if below, then stay away.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I usually just check out the pros/cons area of reviews to see what it says. Even then I only read that area so I can see what the reviewer might not have liked or did like about the game. It doesn't affect what I think about the game, due to everyone being different with what they enjoy in games. I just like learning about people and why they like/dislike things so I use it as an info gathering session so I can have a wider viewpoint on things and can relate easier in conversation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't care much for reading reviews but I do like to watch them, but the final score doesn't influence my final decision that much.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Sometimes, but very rarely. The most important factor is not other people's opinions, but making an informed purchasing decision: I never buy any game I feel like I don't know enough about. Sometimes I feel like I know exactly what I'm getting myself into from the previews and past installments, at which point reviews don't matter. Most of the time, though. I read the reviews first.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I voted for the first option simply for how dumb it's phrased.

As if I value any other's opinion it means I don't think for myself. Right. I rely on others' opinions on games not because I can't think for myself, but because I literally cannot financially afford to buy every single game on the planet I'm potentially interested in in order to be able to do so. I have to buy a game first to hold an opinion, thus I must rely on others' opinions who have bought it when finances are tight, and of those whom I've found I mostly align with in the past I trust.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. But it's been more beneficial than not in most cases, and it has also saved me money.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Sometimes I will buy a game I otherwise wouldn’t have looked at if, if it scores really high! But overall I am lucky enough to be part of the PC master race which means that all of my games are bought on steam, so if I don’t like a game, I can simply refund it, no questions asked....which of course means that I can just buy whatever catches my eye when I feel it’s time for a new game!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Sometimes. Sometimes because of a media blackout. (e.g. Zelda and Mario Odyssey, because I did not need reviewers to tell me they were going to be excellent games.)

Sometimes because I like to experience the sensation of playing a game without knowing what everybody else thinks about it. Buying a game at a store with an interesting cover without having prior knowledge of it. And that can be a weird sensation. Because you feel less 'certain' what you 'should' think about the game. I had this with Surviving Mars. Because there are things I like about it but overall it felt a little disappointing. So I don't really know where people stand with that game and that makes me feel like I may be completely overlooking an important good or bad aspect of this game. I suppose that's what reviewers feel all the time.

(SM does fix one big flaw of Tropico imo: In Tropico I could build a small economy and it would last forever. There wouldn't be much that could happen to destroy it. But in my first game in SM something happened (midway through) that forced me to reorganize (and abandon) large pieces of my Martian society. And that is pretty cool.)

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

reviews are useless. I watch a guy stream it and then i decide if it's a game for me or not.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

@outworld222: Agree. If everyone is panning it, it’s probably trash. If word of mouth is still going for the game after 6 months I’ll try it out.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Almost always read multiple reviews to get a good overview of a game.

Never gameplay videos by themselves. Strictly reviews and I read user reviews of trusted people with several user reviews etc. Money plus multiple hours on a game almost demands it. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to gaming these days so I'm going to make sure that it is worth my time (Currently playing Persona 5)