Do you think we could still get a new genre in gaming?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Do you think we could still get a new genre in gaming that is as impactful as a FPS or open world? or do you think everything has been done?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59289 Posts

I was hoping Superhot would be one, seems like a natural evolution of bullet time, especially cool in VR. But it seems to be just that game using that specific mechanic.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

If ever, it's just gonna be a mish mash and slight mod of the pure existing ones.

I'd like to see powerful Cloud based AI companions in games though (not that basic titanfall cloud AI). Could be a meme gold mine. You can talk with them and they hold decent convo, appropriate character actions towards other npcs.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

definitely. Just might take a while

I think there is a huge demand for anything new/different though. just look at how much Battle Royale games exploded and that was effectively just a new game mode

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I was hoping Superhot would be one, seems like a natural evolution of bullet time, especially cool in VR. But it seems to be just that game using that specific mechanic.

True I wouldn't mind other games taking that mechanic as long as the game is good of course.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts

I want immersive sims to be treated as different and new genre. yes its old genre but still they are not much and not treated as different genre.

Games like Deus Ex, Prey, System shock, Thief fall under this genre.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46598 Posts

The last two genres that were big new ones were DOTA and Battle Royale.

I don't like those, in fact I strongly dislike them.

DOTA meant that developers were way less interested in making RTS, eventhough the two have nothing in common.

Battle Royale means that almost every big upcoming shooter is Battle Royale, I don't like it.

In fact I'd rather have more Rythem Strategy games, like patapon. But unfortunately devs only seem to make what is extremely popular.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

When you get goat simulator,You know it’s nearing an end for new ideas

HaH

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Sure. New game genres do still pop up from time to time, though they often tend to be derivatives of existing genres. Rarely, they come from established studios, such as FromSoftware's Souls-likes. With today's commercial considerations, studios need to make games that will sell, which dis-incentivise risk-taking and experimentation.

More commonly, they spawn from the modding scene. MOBAs and Tower Defense began as Warcraft III custom maps, Battle Royale began as mods for ARMA 2 and Minecraft, Auto-Battlers began as a mod for DOTA 2, so on a so forth.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7284 Posts

Maybe if VR becomes more mainstream there are possibilities.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

souls like games is a big genre now/

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

Probably in VR.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I thought hide n seek games (Roblox’s Murder Mystery, Spy Party, Friday the 13th, Death by Daylight) would really take off this gen and inspire many imitators - but it didn’t happen. Roblox is mostly considered a kids game so who cares and Spy Party has been very slow in development and I don’t think he ever wants to bring the game to consoles. Friday the 13th kinda came and went with little fanfare but Death by Daylight seems to have legs.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

Hmm i'm trying to think of something completely original (not my strong suit). VR is certainly a good avenue for new possibilities.

I think it was miyamoto that speculated around making a game that didn't use a screen. just a controller and sound.

What about a management sim where there is always at least 1 layer of abstraction between you and the thing you want done...

...wait thats the settelers......

...nah i got nothin.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7275 Posts

good question. i think so far the closest new genre is games in vr. the feeling is new when you experience it with a game like astrobots or moss.

but the genre is still the same but it feels new.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7275 Posts
@osan0 said:

Hmm i'm trying to think of something completely original (not my strong suit). VR is certainly a good avenue for new possibilities.

I think it was miyamoto that speculated around making a game that didn't use a screen. just a controller and sound.

What about a management sim where there is always at least 1 layer of abstraction between you and the thing you want done...

...wait thats the settelers......

...nah i got nothin.

yeah vr feels so new no matter what genre it is. 2d in vr feels the newest. gives it a whole new look to it.

if you have any of the vr demo disc for psvr there is a game called star child. its a 2d game that feels 3d at the same time.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Of course.

We've seen Battle Royale emerge. And games like Paper's Please. And games like Outer Wilds which is not exactly a walking simulator but more like an exploration game. And survival games. I would almost consider a game like Half Life Alyx a new genre too, or at least a new subgenre because they are so very different from the PC counterparts. Souls games.

This generation + the last one has brought quite a few refreshing things. Especially this one. Who knows whether the next one will be as refreshing, but I think games will continue to evolve, slow or fast.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Yes definitely. There is so much more to come.

Intelligent AI will free is from picking fixed dialogue in games and allow us to ask our own questions.

Greater horse power in consoles and machines will eventually allow us to much more freedom and creativity.

Just consider a game like Resident Evil 2, fun yes but incredibly fixed and limited. Leon and Clare need to find planks of wood to nail to a broken window when standing next to a filing cabinet.

They will only use a short knife in melee combat when they’re surrounded by a plethora of potential weapons.

We’re simply at a stage where graphics are peaking but everything else is still fairly basic.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58484 Posts

I think we have and will continue to see new genres.

As @KungfuKitten said, we have seen Battle Royale come about. I'm no game historian, but even if it existed long ago, it has become popularized so recently to the extent I would consider it a new genre.

And tbh I am not really sure what exactly we should classify half the games out there as, especially when it comes to indie games or games developed by small teams. I think many new games tread new territory and defy categorization.

What exactly do we call Kerbal Space Program? Flight sim? Space sim? Management sim? Educational software?

What about A Plague Tale: Innocence? Walking sim? Stealth game? Alt-history interactive novel? Sling simulator?

I just call games like these "mutts" or "hybrids" and I mean that with the highest regard b/c they are my favorite kinds of games. Games that pick and choose the best aspects of many genres.

Plus with VR gaining ground, I fully expect to see new things going on with that.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23981 Posts

With advances in VR, AR, as well as AI I see new types of gaming genres pop up.

Developments of AI could lead to a LOT of new interesting ways for games to be played.

ps5rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ps5rulez
Member since 2020 • 456 Posts

of course, but most developers arent willing to take risk anymore.