Do you think the Switch will succeed?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

I think it will. Pokémon GO, NES classic, 3DS, they all show that Nintendo still carries its own weight. The Switch will encompass all of these experiences and more. It just sucks that there really isn't a strong third presence. Having a 2011 game just isn't compelling. But hopefully whatever games it has will be great. What do you think, SW? Will Switch succeed?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think so. I don't think it will be a resounding success, but I think it will gain a lot of ground back from the Wii U. Or, rather, regain a strong presence in households. I think it will DEFINITELY be a secondary system for most, but Nintendo seems ok with that as long as the units move and the software moves with it. I will probably look into one if the software flow looks to be remaining strong - I skipped the Wii U so I'm due for some fresh Nintendo hardware

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think well have a good picture of third party come e3, but yeah, lets just expect 3DS and Wii U third party type support combined. I think Switch will have no problem succeeding. It appears to be an amazing system to game on. I think its a must buy for all.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No. It has all the same problems the WiiU did. Overpriced, lack of games, too many controllers, underpowered and now they are charging for online.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

No. It has all the same problems the WiiU did. Overpriced, lack of games, too many controllers, underpowered and now they are charging for online.

Too many controllers?

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

It will never be a first choice system, unless you literally only play Nintendo games. I hope it does, but I cant see that happening until a decent price drop

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

I've said it, and I'll keep saying it, not at this price.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

If you take into account trending social media, preorders and overall vibe it seems it's going to me a larger hit than the Wii U which isn't very hard. No way it hits Wii probably but early hands on previews with the system are positive. It's constantly selling out preorders everywhere.

To put into comparison for the Wii U. When it was close to release you could easily pre order it. I was able to walk in day 1 at my BB and buy one of the 100 systems stacked high. I'm not sure they ever sold out of that original stack. Nobody knew about the system and everyone I talked too about it thought it was a legit add on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I don't think it is ever going to be the market leader, but I do think it will be a profitable console for Nintendo and will have many great exclusive games.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Price doesn't appear to be a problem.

If Nintendo can offer solid advertising along with a sure and steady release schedule, it will surpass the Wii U easily.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

No idea. The 3DS had issues at $250 causing Nintendo to cut the price by nearly a third just months after launch. The Switch is more expensive than that. I also think the market for portable systems shrinks when it goes beyond pocket size and can not replace something you would carry anyways (ie. cell phone). It's also underpowered for a home console which didn't help the Wii U.

That being said, this will be the first Nintendo system I have bought since the DS and I'm not buying it for the motion controls or the portability, but because it's been too long since I've played a new Zelda, Mario, Xeno___ or other Nintendo masterpiece. I'm probably not the only one.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

What other portable console is their that is cheaper? Oh wait, there are no other mainstream portable consoles available, so this is just opinion on your part.

Lack of games? A brand new Zelda and 3D Mario platformer in the first year alone is more than Sony could muster in three years after the PS4 launch.

Too many controllers? You either play it with the Joy-cons or the Pro controller. It comes with Joy-cons does it not? So you literally have to buy no more controllers unless you want to play local multiplayer games... which Sony and MS barely offer anymore.

Underpowered? Compared to PC-wannabe behemoths that focus on third party games? Sure, but it's not going for that market. As with all Nintendo products, they are searching for a new niche to succeed in.

Charging for online? They are the only console manufacturer left that hasn't charged for it. Don't see how this is a negative here.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Once again they're asking way too much for horrible, junk hardware with hardly any games. Hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it. Everyone else is less stupid.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It will flop but do better than WiiU

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

No. No chance. Its doing nothing different to capture new audiences over the Wii U and for the core audience it looks like its a split. So no... I think it will sell better than the Wii U but won't touch PS4 levels let alone Wii levels.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

No I don't. Why couldn't Nintendo just make a solid console. They're already making games for us to play on the go on mobile. Why they had to do this hybrid nonsense?

I'm calling it right now that in 2-3 yrs after launch there will be a new game or games that require you to leave it docked because of performance issue.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Its uncertain, it all depends on the sales at the moment.

If I had to take a stab at it, I would say lower than the ps4, but better than the wii u

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

3DS will cannibalize the sales of the switch after its first month of release. People will simple still buy a 3DS even with the holiday until they drop 3DS support entirely and move over. Which probably will happen next year + a new switch will come out at a 199 price tag + a game included.

From that point on i can see it start selling.

As for what it's now its extremely overpriced with zero game support really. It's going to tank hard after the first month of its release.

Because most people that wanted to play mario kart 8 already did, same goes for splatoon 2. The first real switch game and exlusive that is big will be the mario game and that only launches at the end of the year.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

It will be a success with core Nintendo fanatics, outside of that it will completely fail.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

My gut feeling tells me that the Switch will succeed, just like my gut feeling told me that Brexit will succeed and Donald Trump will win the GOP nomination and eventually the presidency. Regardless of the pundits and skeptics say, I was proven right and they were proven wrong.

Signs of the Switch's success is seen through it pre-sales.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It will be a success... for the first 10 months. People are blinded by the hype so they'll get on board. Later on, they'll wake up and see how much of a ripoff the console and everything around it really is.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@aigis said:

Its uncertain, it all depends on the sales at the moment.

If I had to take a stab at it, I would say lower than the ps4, but better than the wii u

What a success lol

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@silversix_: Well if it did any worse than the wii u we may be looking at the next Dreamcast :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if they don't release a handheld. Then they will put all their efforts on switch. it will be a thing of beauty imo.

if they decide to release a handheld in 2018 or something and split their resources again then it won't be as good.

to answer the question ...yes

if my first sentence is true. i say 60million. if it's more than that i'm sure nintendo would be ecstatic.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

In 2 or 3 years sales will stagnate but it won't fail..

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

It will sell 20 million units, at least. But I do not believe it will be a big presence in the consumer market.

What people lose sight of is, If Nintendo and Microsoft with Scorpio, curtail their production to meet the demand of these products, even limited demand, they don't lose massively. They accept their nitch in the consumer market and meet it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yes it will...Nintendo just gotta release that Pokemon drug on it. :P

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Will be extremely successful.

I have a ton of IRL friends who have pre ordered it, huge Zelda fans too.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Without a doubt.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I gave up trying to guess if a Nindendo console will sell, I thought the Wii would be an epic fail and it wasn't, then I figured the WiiU would be an epic fail so I came to the conclusion it would sell good because I was wrong before.

Might as well flip a coin.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I think it's going to be a short-term success and do better than Wii U but it'll struggle if Nintendo is the only one that supports the console. I'm expecting similar levels to the N64.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

It's hard to say. It will be a success to the core nintendo fans, but i think at its current price point the sales will be slow after the initial rush at launch

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#35 GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Probably not. Its underpowered and overpriced. I disagree with it being a hybrid system. They're charging for online play. 32gb of space for game cards. 32gb of internal storage. The gimmicks might make it do better. The games that it gets should help it as long as they're good and not too niche. It should sell better than the Wii U because the Wii U sold so bad.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15992 Posts

Yeah, I think so. I think 1 2 Switch has shown that it can appeal to non-gamers and games like Mario, Splatoon 2 and Zelda have core gamer appeal.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

It has to succeed for the good of gaming.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It's not going to be a Wii success, but it's got everything going for it to have a solid 3DS-like success. The road for the Switch, like it was for the 3DS, will be bumpy, but six years from now, Microsoft and Sony will be releasing their PS 5.75 Pro and their Xbox Twice, Project Sand Beetle, now with 12% more RAM and something that will work with some newer $12000 TVs that no one can afford, while you will be having trouble finding a Switch because a new Pokemon game is out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think it will be a 3DS level success.

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

I sure hope not pulling a Sega on us is bs

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

I think they will sucked in sales but not quality games

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Will be huge not just this year but come next holiday with a permanent $250 price point and black friday bundles along with a possible redesign or lower end sku that functions as a portable only unit with integrated joycons for $179.99. Tales from my ass, but make it happen Nintendo!

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

I think you're in for a rude awakening if you think this latest endeavor from Nintendo will be a successful one. Unlike their few and far between diehards, I get the feeling the majority of the gaming populace casual and hardcore won't be going anywhere near a Nintendo Switch.

I'm hoping this will be their last piece of hardware, and after it fails they'll be putting my fav childhood ips on my PlayStation.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Nintendo is setting themselves up for better success by having a new Zelda game at launch and a new Mario game this year (hopefully). They should make sure it gets a Pokemon game in 2018 as well.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think it will. Pokémon GO, NES classic, 3DS, they all show that Nintendo still carries its own weight. The Switch will encompass all of these experiences and more. It just sucks that there really isn't a strong third presence. Having a 2011 game just isn't compelling. But hopefully whatever games it has will be great. What do you think, SW? Will Switch succeed?

That's not a very clairvoyant prediction. Pokemon Go is a mobile game. The 3DS is a portable device which can fit in your pocket. The NES classic is also something that can fit in your pocket, and it costs like 50 bucks. Now you're comparing a $299 system which requires a briefcase to house the portable screen, joycons and games to all the aforementioned?

If anything, I'd say that Nintendo's success in all the aforementioned is gonna be a bane to the Switch. The Switch is being put up against a well established mobile/portable market, both of which have an advantage in portability, price and the fact that everyone has a cell phone by default. Why would these people run out to get a more expensive, bigger, bulkier portable device which necessitates you to carry a bag and look like a nerdy jackass who can't leave his games at home?

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

Nintendo is setting themselves up for better success by having a new Zelda game at launch and a new Mario game this year (hopefully). They should make sure it gets a Pokemon game in 2018 as well.

The new Zelda and Mario would ensure a strong launch. But unless we take a shortsighted outlook on the Switch, the generation-long success will depend not on the launch year lineup but the general and broad appeal of the console - to which I feel that the Switch is just another Wii U.....attempting to recreate the one-time contemporary success of the Wii

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Even though I have been hard on Nintendo lately I sincerely want them to get a W this time around. The Switch is something that interests me honestly. With that said what Nintendo is currently offering looks to be great with Nintendo die hard fans and scalpers trying to make money on the next big/new thing.

The line up of games, the paid online component, lack trophy/achievement variant, over priced peripherals, left over 3rd party ports that are in some cases a few years old, no clarification on virtual console purchases being carried over, lack of voice chat on the console (yet), and Nintendo's tone deafness have killed a great deal of my hype.

On the plus side, if I buy this console down the line it will be like a Vita on steroids. That genuinely gets me exited as a gamer. I like being able to play my games on the go. I personally think Nintendo should have marketed this as their next handheld and worked on a powerful home console because they marketed this thing wrong. But, I know that is not possible for their unification of both markets on one system. So here's to you Nintendo you crazy bastards. I wish you the best of luck.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#48 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

No, I don't think so.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Depends what you mean by succeed. Sheep will claim victory anyway even if there are only two good games a year.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

With Nintendo you can never be sure.