Do you think the Switch will die out once PS5/XboxNext come out?

  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for needhealing
Posted by Needhealing (2033 posts) 12 days, 11 hours ago

Poll: Do you think the Switch will die out once PS5/XboxNext come out? (93 votes)

Yes 13%
No 74%
Maybe 13%

I must admit, as a proud Switch owner its an amazing console hybrid. The best Nintendo has launched since the cube. However, I still play more pc and ps4. I believe Nintendo will need to launch a new console as next gen when the PS5 comes out momentum will start to wain out. I don't have any hopes for the XboxFlopNext - so w/e that.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#1 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18137 posts) -

Lol, you were doing so well until you got to the end... you just can't help yourself.

Anyway, I'm sure Nintendo will release an updated Switch by then, which will probably be a bit more powerful and have a better screen etc.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (26729 posts) -

No because they’ll probably release a Switch ‘Pro’ or something to that effect by then.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#3 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2550 posts) -

The next consoles will offer almost nothing new other than resolution bumps and MAYBE, MAYBE framerate improvements. The Switch is already playing many of the games, scaled down and at 30fps. There is little to no reason to think Nintendo couldn't keep doing the same thing with the current Switch hardware. Sure, the Switch will miss some of the big AAA titles. But Switch owners are there for games, not movies. Y'all can keep those...


Avatar image for blamix
#4 Posted by blamix (732 posts) -

No! Cause it's not about power. It's about games

Avatar image for needhealing
#5 Posted by Needhealing (2033 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lol, you were doing so well until you got to the end... you just can't help yourself.

Anyway, I'm sure Nintendo will release an updated Switch by then, which will probably be a bit more powerful and have a better screen etc.

The truth hurts, doesn't it my lemming friend?

Avatar image for needhealing
#6 Posted by Needhealing (2033 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

No because they’ll probably release a Switch ‘Pro’ or something to that effect by then.

And you can keep... hummm... hummm... Sorry can't think of an Xbone exclusive.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (26729 posts) -

@needhealing: Wow you are such a sad sack aren’t you. I didn’t even mention anything about the Xbox One yet you felt compelled to do so in response. You just can’t help yourself can you?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#8 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13345 posts) -

Well, this thread certainly is going well. *grabs popcorn*

Avatar image for mandzilla
#10 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

I don't see why it would given the popularity of the hybrid design. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 incorporated some kind of tv-handheld functionality, perhaps a more fleshed out development of remote play in an attempt to appeal more to the home turf consumers.

As much as Japan doesn't matter to System Wars, it clearly does to Sony. Same reason why Sony and Nintendo couldn't away with going full on streaming like Microsoft may do someday, since physical game ownership is still a huge part of Japanese gaming culture.

I'd say Sony and Nintendo design their products first and foremost for the Japanese gamer, and then market it to the rest of the world. So until portable gaming habits change over there, support will continue for the Switch line and you'll maybe even see a PS Swap incoming.

Avatar image for ajstyles
#11 Posted by AJStyles (348 posts) -

Nintendo drops all support for their consoles around the 4 year mark. So yeah, switch will be basically dead when PS5 launches in 2020/2021.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (26729 posts) -

@needhealing: Good, good. Let the hate flow through you. 😂

Avatar image for Telekill
#13 Posted by Telekill (8241 posts) -

As long as great games continue to release on it, the Switch will be fine.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#14 Edited by lundy86_4 (51139 posts) -

As per usual, TC writes a shite thread. I'll sit and watch, I suppose.

Avatar image for rmpumper
#15 Posted by rmpumper (388 posts) -

Why? It's all about those first party Nintendo games, so whatever MS/Sony are doing is irrelevant for Nintendo consoles.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#16 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

In terms of next gen though, yeah Nintendo may have to put out a more powerful model to keep getting third-party stuff.

Avatar image for svaubel
#17 Posted by svaubel (4125 posts) -

Lol this thread. Ive used my Switch more than all my other consoles combined since release.

With how little Ive used the PS4 and Xbone I highly doubt Im getting the next console from either Sony or MS

Avatar image for dzimm
#18 Edited by dzimm (5133 posts) -

The Switch fills a unique niche that Sony and Microsoft's new consoles won't be touching.

Avatar image for blackthundajaw
#19 Posted by blackthundajaw (21 posts) -

Nope, they have different target audience in general

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#20 Edited by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

I voted no because I don’t see the Switch as competition for sony or Microsoft. I think of it more as a back up for Nintendo exclusives or a handheld for children over a real console alternative. Who above the age of 18 games exclusively on a Switch? It came out quite late and it can’t play most multiplats. You’re missing a huge amount of popular gaming if you only play on a Switch.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
#21 Edited by Solaryellow (4556 posts) -

According to some on here Switch is already dead. How can it die twice?

Avatar image for michaelmikado
#22 Edited by michaelmikado (39 posts) -

Nintendo has less than 5 more years as a home console manufacturer.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#23 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (27755 posts) -

League of its own. Like the Wii, it's a blue ocean strategy. Create a new market where you're the only one selling.

Unless someone else has a console/handheld hybrid coming out soon.

Avatar image for the-a-baum
#24 Posted by The-A-Baum (1233 posts) -

Apples to Oranges. The Switch is the most powerful hand held available with TV support but the hand held aspect is what is selling it. Also most parents will and should choose Nintendo as a child's first console with "fun and cute" game exclusives that are not very violent. I hate to see young kids in Mature games or even movies, let them be kids. They have plenty of time for all the violence that goes on in this crazy world.

So there you go Nintendo is killing it with handheld gamers and children under 14. Not knocking Nintendo at all and glad they are in the space. Just not my type of gaming. If you like it, is all that matters.

Avatar image for dzimm
#25 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I voted no because I don’t see the Switch as competition for sony or Microsoft. I think of it more as a back up for Nintendo exclusives or a handheld for children over a real console alternative. Who above the age of 18 games exclusively on a Switch? It came out quite late and it can’t play most multiplats. You’re missing a huge amount of popular gaming if you only play on a Switch.

Look out, folks, we got ourselves a "hardcore gamer" here!

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#26 Posted by I_P_Daily (9945 posts) -

Someone needshealing still :(

Avatar image for fedor
#27 Posted by Fedor (3736 posts) -

@Sevenizz: "You’re missing a huge amount of popular gaming if you only play on a Switch."

You could say the same thing about only playing on Xbox.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#28 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

I voted no because I don’t see the Switch as competition for sony or Microsoft. I think of it more as a back up for Nintendo exclusives or a handheld for children over a real console alternative. Who above the age of 18 games exclusively on a Switch? It came out quite late and it can’t play most multiplats. You’re missing a huge amount of popular gaming if you only play on a Switch.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#29 Edited by KBFloYd (21233 posts) -

you forgot switch is in 2 markets. console AND handheld.

Switch will have the handheld market completely dominated. as for console side 1st party titles will garuntee intrest in the system.

sure when the PS5 release it will beat nintendo in many NPDs and stuff. BUT maybe xbox will come out strong next gen and will take many sales from PS5.

this will help the switch maintain a lead.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#30 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

@mandzilla: Bull.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#31 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Is true, Switch is more powerful than my laptop. It's a GIF machine which I also use for academic stuff and films.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#32 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

@fedor: I don’t feel that way at all. I’m quite satisfied with Xbox’s selections.

Avatar image for fedor
#33 Posted by Fedor (3736 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Cool. My point still stands.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#34 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

@fedor: But it’s inaccurate. With backwards compatibility spanning 2 generations, there more gaming options then on the Switch or ps4. Possibly combined.

Avatar image for fedor
#35 Edited by Fedor (3736 posts) -

@Sevenizz: BC is your argument? Lol. Sorry, bud. You simply miss out on too many big titles being a xbox only gamer.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#36 Posted by mojito1988 (3356 posts) -

The Switch will not be stopped. It is a very nice device. It will see a pro version and I will buy it day one.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#37 Edited by sakaiXx (4528 posts) -

Yep. By the time next gen came switch is 4-5 years old. nintendo is always front loaded in console sales, peaking in 3rd year and a massive drop after that. Happened to almost every nintendo console except the ds.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#38 Edited by KBFloYd (21233 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Yep. By the time next gen came switch is 4-5 years old. nintendo is always front loaded in console sales, peaking in 3rd year and a massive drop after that. Happened to almost every nintendo console except the ds.

true nintendo usually release a new system every 5 years. so in 2022 a new nintendo system will launch. ps5/xbox launch in 2020.

in the meantime in 2019/2020 nintendo could release a revision to buy them 2 more years for the next system.

nintendo is in no trouble.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#39 Posted by robert_sparkes (2039 posts) -

I think a revised switch will announce at e3 released either holiday 2019 or 2020.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#40 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18137 posts) -

@needhealing: Lol, stop trying so hard... it's bordering on sad.

Avatar image for jasonofa36
#41 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1066 posts) -

Nah

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#42 Posted by DocSanchez (5011 posts) -

Nearly died out already. But certainly will have trouble. It's basically another wii u, a handful of Nintendo exclusives with the Nintendo weighted reviews adding two to the score but missing out on so many third party releases. It did manage more than the Wii U but they will all dry up when PS5 and Xbox Two come on to the scene, which is around the time Nintendo will abandon it's fans, they will get pissy, and start blaming everyone else.

And a few years later, Nintendo will release a console with the power of PS4 ish and release New Super Mario U Deluxe Ultra which allows you to choose the colour of Marios moustache, thereby justifying it's £60 pricetag.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#43 Posted by KBFloYd (21233 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Nearly died out already. But certainly will have trouble. It's basically another wii u, a handful of Nintendo exclusives with the Nintendo weighted reviews adding two to the score but missing out on so many third party releases. It did manage more than the Wii U but they will all dry up when PS5 and Xbox Two come on to the scene, which is around the time Nintendo will abandon it's fans, they will get pissy, and start blaming everyone else.

And a few years later, Nintendo will release a console with the power of PS4 ish and release New Super Mario U Deluxe Ultra which allows you to choose the colour of Marios moustache, thereby justifying it's £60 pricetag.

ok, so no reason WHY it will die out.

just that ps5 and xbox will "magically" kill it?

lol just like the magic hardware specs ps5 fans a drooling over to beat a decent PC.

Avatar image for papermario
#44 Posted by Papermario (238 posts) -

it wont die because even tho nintendo flop alot of games people will try to make something good out it....

they will praise if zelda or a mario game come out over hype it

they will make another splatoons or make "arms 2" and try to hold on to those games for a year to make the claim that the system is good

nintendo fans get a good game..and they make it out to be a classical or great game when its only just a good game...

Avatar image for needhealing
#45 Posted by Needhealing (2033 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@needhealing: Lol, stop trying so hard... it's bordering on sad.

Lol, K, Lem.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#46 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

It's surprising to see people here are still salty about Nintendo releasing two 10/10 games for the Switch in the first year.

Avatar image for fedor
#47 Posted by Fedor (3736 posts) -

Switch dominance will continue. Doesn't really matter what Sony or MS do. When you make fun games, people buy them. Crazy concept, I know.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#48 Posted by sakaiXx (4528 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@sakaixx said:

Yep. By the time next gen came switch is 4-5 years old. nintendo is always front loaded in console sales, peaking in 3rd year and a massive drop after that. Happened to almost every nintendo console except the ds.

true nintendo usually release a new system every 5 years. so in 2022 a new nintendo system will launch. ps5/xbox launch in 2020.

in the meantime in 2019/2020 nintendo could release a revision to buy them 2 more years for the next system.

nintendo is in no trouble.

Wow we agreed on something.

Anyhow I'm basing this from records. Wii sold 20+m in its first 3 years, everyone expecting it to outsold ps2 but then sales dropped off a cliff in 2010-2011. Probably due to amount of shovelware and casuals no longer interest in wii. Hope Switch has better longevity as even though I generally hate nintendo franchises, I do enjoy zelda.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#49 Edited by KBFloYd (21233 posts) -

@sakaixx said:
@KBFloYd said:
@sakaixx said:

Yep. By the time next gen came switch is 4-5 years old. nintendo is always front loaded in console sales, peaking in 3rd year and a massive drop after that. Happened to almost every nintendo console except the ds.

true nintendo usually release a new system every 5 years. so in 2022 a new nintendo system will launch. ps5/xbox launch in 2020.

in the meantime in 2019/2020 nintendo could release a revision to buy them 2 more years for the next system.

nintendo is in no trouble.

Wow we agreed on something.

Anyhow I'm basing this from records. Wii sold 20+m in its first 3 years, everyone expecting it to outsold ps2 but then sales dropped off a cliff in 2010-2011. Probably due to amount of shovelware and casuals no longer interest in wii. Hope Switch has better longevity as even though I generally hate nintendo franchises, I do enjoy zelda.

no, the wii stopped selling because nintendo stopped making software for it.there was also no 3rd party to keep it alive like playstation and xbox. in 2011/2012 no notable nintendo games came out for it. They shifted focus to wiiU. the wiiu launch was not bad but it dried up quick.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#50 Posted by storm_of_swords (2564 posts) -

The reasons that the Switch is appealing to people are completely different than the reasons why people will want the next Xbox or PS5, so it will continue to sell well as the system that offers a different kind of experience than the rest.