Do you think the reveal of Half Life 3 will be the biggest one in the gaming industry?

• 55 results
Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you think the reveal of Half Life 3 will be the biggest one in the gaming industry? (48 votes)

Yes, the earth will tremble 35%
No, it'll be amazing but the earth will just shake a bit 35%
Maybe, depends how the announce the game 31%

Honestly, I can just imagine the day Half life3 is revealed. The reactions will be insane.

Most incredibly if they were to reveal it lets say during a press conference at E3 the crowds response would make the building collapse.

It will be an amazing moment to be alive. Not even the Ps5 could make me react that way.

• 
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not me. I'm probably one of the few (PC gamers) who weren't that interested in Valve (or Blizzard) games.

What would give me a boner is a WW2 flight sim set in the Pacific with full dynamic campaign and complete DX12 goodies. Probably not going to happen though.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

It isn't going to happen though so why speculate?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Really, who still remembers the IP. only reason people bought it so much at that time was because of counterstrike, game was great first one, second one was utter trash, just there to push steam client forwards and sell there source engine towards developers. What reason do they got left to even release it at this point? i don't think anybody still cares.

Much like final fantasy 15 and last guardian, nobody will care.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@Vaasman said:

Can you send me that crystal ball you have on your hands?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No, because it won't happen

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

@needhealing said:
@Vaasman said:

Can you send me that crystal ball you have on your hands?

The internal word is that no one is interested in even making it, it never made it past pre-production. The former lead writer has already departed and spoiled the entire story of episode 3.

At a certain point you need to accept that it's dead and will only ever live on as a meme of the last 5-10 years.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

While I’m sure that it will be something amazing to a good deal of people if it were to happen however I wouldn’t really care all that much one way or the other. I thought that the games were ok but nothing all that special to be honest.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My two cents is at this point, it's not gonna happen. There is NO WAY that Valve could possibly make anything that could live up to the hype. No matter how good the end product is, people will be disappointed. They simply waited too long.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

I'm more amaze to this day, everyone is still talking about HL3. The last article I read was an interview with Gabe Newell in PC Gamer and he stated that "one reason why HL3 isn't in development is because motion capture technology isn't on par with what they want to represent in the game" and again, I love how TC here just KNOWS that HL3 is in development. No one truly knows or will ever know. Unless you can source something reliable then as far as we know it's not happening.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Needhealing

@davillain- said:

I'm more amaze to this day, everyone is still talking about HL3. The last article I read was an interview with Gabe Newell in PC Gamer and he stated that "one reason why HL3 isn't in development is because motion capture technology isn't on par with what they want to represent in the game" and again, I love how TC here just KNOWS that HL3 is in development. No one truly knows or will ever know. Unless you can source something reliable then as far as we know it's not happening.

When did i say half life 3 is in development in my original post? You contradict yourself by saying "no one truly knows" So maybe, just maybe this is a theoretical post? Ever thought of that?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

@needhealing: Not the point.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Needhealing

@davillain- said:

@needhealingpo: Not the point.

Point is this a theoretical thread. A what if. It's pretty clear.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Really, who still remembers the IP. only reason people bought it so much at that time was because of counterstrike, game was great first one, second one was utter trash, just there to push steam client forwards and sell there source engine towards developers. What reason do they got left to even release it at this point? i don't think anybody still cares.

96% on Metacritic and cleaned house winning almost every FPS GOTY award in 2004. But it's trash. Gotchya.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Needhealing

@UssjTrunks said:
@Gatygun said:

96% on Metacritic and cleaned house winning almost every FPS GOTY award in 2004. But it's trash. Gotchya.

^ This.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UssjTrunks

HL3 isn't happening because Gabe is too busy printing money to care about making games anymore.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@needhealing: HL3 was never in development and there's no reason to talk about it nor speculate. When Valve created Steam, that was it for anything coming out of them.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Needhealing

@davillain- said:

@needhealing: HL3 was never in development and there's no reason to talk about it nor speculate. When Valve created Steam, that was it for anything coming out of them.

Because it is not in development right now, it doesn't mean it might not be in the future. Near or far. Unless you have a magical crystal ball you might send me via UPS.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Needhealing

@UssjTrunks said:

HL3 isn't happening because Gabe is too busy printing money to care about making games anymore.

Considering that they made at least $400 million from half life 2 sales, i really don't understand investment wise why it wouldn't make sense.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49564 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Not me. I'm probably one of the few (PC gamers) who weren't that interested in Valve (or Blizzard) games.

What would give me a boner is a WW2 flight sim set in the Pacific with full dynamic campaign and complete DX12 goodies. Probably not going to happen though.

Battlestations Pacific is actually a great amount of fun. It's obviously aged a lot now, but might be worth taking a look into. (It's obviously not a sim, but a great WW2 game)

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UssjTrunks

@needhealing said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Considering that they made at least $400 million from half life 2 sales, i really don't understand investment wise why it wouldn't make sense.

It would make sense investment-wise. The problem is Gabe just doesn't care about making games anymore now that Steam prints money without him having to do anything.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Needhealing

@UssjTrunks said:
@needhealing said:
@UssjTrunks said:

It would make sense investment-wise. The problem is Gabe just doesn't care about making games anymore now that Steam prints money without him having to do anything.

Yeah, that's actually quite unfortunate. Considering how popular their ip's are and can become, i can easily see them making much more yearly cash from game development.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Vive Pro + HL3 = madness

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

It's already confirmed to be a dead project. Why? Do you have some daily thread quota or something?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Needhealing

@techhog89 said:

It's already confirmed to be a dead project. Why? Do you have some daily thread quota or something?

One word. Hater.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

11 out 10, would...

@schu said:

Vive Pro + HL3 = madness

OMFG yes. That would be amazing. But hopefully they prioritize conventional tech before VR.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Battlestations Pacific is actually a great amount of fun. It's obviously aged a lot now, but might be worth taking a look into. (It's obviously not a sim, but a great WW2 game)

Agreed with Battlestations Pacific.

Any of you guys play Aces of the Pacific back in the day? Man that was a good WWII flight sim in the pacific.

@needhealing said:
@davillain- said:

Because it is not in development right now, it doesn't mean it might not be in the future. Near or far. Unless you have a magical crystal ball you might send me via UPS.

I agree, it's good to keep hope alive. Not sure why people are so bitter over it. Guess they don't know the joy of salivating over the wait and anticipation of the Half-Life 2 release getting closer and closer, purchasing it, and then having it actually exceed your incredibly high expectations because, yes, it is that good.

With that said, the writer/s for Half-Life 2 have left, as have the art director (?) that made the world of HL2 look so unique (he also worked on Dishonored, and you can see the similarities in art direction between HL2 and Dishonored). Gabe, if he was involved with HL2 from a creative standpoint, is no longer doing that kind of thing it seems.

I totally respect Valve and they are contributing a metric shit-ton of development, ideas, freedom, and so forth to the game industry without bragging about it like MS or Sony, but as for games these days? Not so much.

That's not a criticism; if I had to choose between Half-Life 3 and a continuation of what Valve has done over the last two decades for the next two decades, well...it'd be a tough choice but I would rather Valve keep on doing what they are doing. I can live without HL3 (did I really just say that!?).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Battlestations Pacific is sort of like a real-time war game. I have something similar called Pacific Storm. A remake of it would be okay too. ;)

The one I want is a pure flight sim.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

There's one guaranteed way to make it come out, everyone boycott of Steam until they make it. But gamers won't, so it will never happen. Go buy games DRM free from GOG and make a statement.

Valve gets 30% revenues of all games sold on Steam, they have no incentive to make anything, just sit back and count the money. Other companies keep releasing stuff on a schedule to keep the lights on. Threaten their bottom line, they'll react.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

A lot has happened in since the sequel and its unfinished episodes... It would be anti-climactic in a lot of ways. They'd also be a bit embarrassed to release it now.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I'd be all over that flight sim

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Needhealing

@mrbojangles25 said:

11 out 10, would...

@schu said:

Vive Pro + HL3 = madness

OMFG yes. That would be amazing. But hopefully they prioritize conventional tech before VR.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

What would give me a boner is a WW2 flight sim se

I agree, it's good to keep hope alive. Not sure why people are so bitter over it. Guess they don't know the joy of salivating over the wait and anticipation of the Half-Life 2 release getting closer and closer, purchasing it, and then having it actually exceed your incredibly high expectations because, yes, it is that good.

With that said, the writer/s for Half-Life 2 have left, as have the art director (?) that made the world of HL2 look so unique (he also worked on Dishonored, and you can see the similarities in art direction between HL2 and Dishonored). Gabe, if he was involved with HL2 from a creative standpoint, is no longer doing that kind of thing it seems.

I totally respect Valve and they are contributing a metric shit-ton of development, ideas, freedom, and so forth to the game industry without bragging about it like MS or Sony, but as for games these days? Not so much.

That's not a criticism; if I had to choose between Half-Life 3 and a continuation of what Valve has done over the last two decades for the next two decades, well...it'd be a tough choice but I would rather Valve keep on doing what they are doing. I can live without HL3 (did I really just say that!?).

Exactly. It's easier to say it might come out, then outright saying it will never be made - the latter simply doesn't hold true.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Gaming outlets would hype it to oblivion. Gamers wouldn't care methinks, unless they are a full-on hater of the series.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

By that time nobody wouldn’t even care cause majority of gamers weren’t born when HL2 came out LOL

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

Your threads are boring as heck. You post like a bot.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1820 Posts

Depends how they announce it I guess. I don't know. Though I highly doubt they'll make it. Y'all have to move on at this point. Y'all are worse than the Nintendo fans who keep asking for F Zero.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The series is vastly overrated by hermits. No one else cares.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24842 Posts

It will never going to happen. not in billion years.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Nah. Its been too long. Lots of new or younger gamers who never played any of the games. Or could care less.

The media may make a big deal out of it. But only fans of the original games will be truly interested. While that will number in the millions. As more years pass on with Valve being complacent with Steam revenue. The brand power of HL will fade more.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@jak42 said:

Nah. Its been too long. Lots of new or younger gamers who never played any of the games. Or could care less.

The media may make a big deal out of it. But only fans of the original games will be truly interested. While that will number in the millions. As more years pass on with Valve being complacent with Steam revenue. The brand power of HL will fade more.

not really. theres always successful reboot/sequels of original classic games release 20 years after previous games.

case in point DOOM. its reboot of 1993 game and is huge success among modern and old school gamers.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

There is no way a HL3 game could ever live up to the hype. The shouldn't and probably never will make one.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I would love to see it, I was there in 1998 playing the original, it was amazing, and games (and todays gamers) simply take for granted all the steps forward the game made for the genre.

HL2 was also great, particularly the episodes (which taken together were the real HL3). One of 2004's best games without question.

I'd love to see it happen but it should have been done 10 years ago, when gamers of that time hadn't moved on. It wouldn't cause that big of a splash these days.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@MuD3 said:

There is no way a HL3 game could ever live up to the hype. The shouldn't and probably never will make one.

tbh, i rather want STALKER 2 than Half life 3 at this point.

the impact of STALKER 2 among fans would be much bigger than HL3. it was cancelled at one point and restart again.

I would be more excited for STALKER 2 than Half life 3 if both announce today.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I'm actually over the Half-Life series and have moved on. I'm sure a lot of other people have as well. If Half-Life 3 was announced today, I'd hardly care. If this were 5 years ago though, I would have gone nuts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

You know you’ve run out of topic ideas when you have to resort to HL3 release threads.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Not sure if it's ever going to be announced but I was kinda thinking the other day that the fans of yesterday might be over it and the newer generation only cares about cod and battlefield so...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58633 Posts

Everyone would lose their shit, it would get praised then 3 months later people would say it sucked to come across as cool cynics.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

With how hyped up the game's been over the years, I think no matter how good it was, it would end up letting people down. I'm not too bothered about Half Life myself, but I would like a Portal 3.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

I believe that after all this time, zero fucks will be given. People will be thinking, "Half Life-who?" And I'd just be sad because I too have also moved on. I'm not the same as I was when the Orange Box came out. Obviously not the same age and my interest changed to different genres. Back then, I said I would never touch a jrpg and I thought anime was pure garbage. So young and so naive.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Half Life 2 is still one of my favorite FPS ever...but no, HL3 won't happen.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10358 Posts

the kids probably wouldn't give a f*ck but us old timers would be partyin in the streets

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

It will be a nice game but I can't see why a lot of people would care.