Do you think the 3DS will have better graphics than the PSP ?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

Me?

I think they may have similar graphics, it would be really impressive if it had better graphics than the PSP 3000

Or maybe I'm just a DS fanboy.

But since Sony is working on a new handheld it will most likely surpass the 3DS' Graphics.

Knowing Nintendo, the 3DS might defeat the next-gen PSP because gaming isn't just about the graphics.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
No matter what Sony does to the PSP, it still won't surpass the DS. The graphics can look like a PS3, and still the 3DS will get more sales. Nintendo's won the portable crowd.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

The PSP is 5 years older than the 3DS.

If the 3DS doesnt have better graphics then thats quite embarrassing on Nintendos part.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Metal gear solid 3d looked better than anything on the PSP imo

but sony's next psp will likely have better graphics than the 3DS

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

If the 3DS doesnt have better graphics then thats quite embarrassing on Nintendos part.

Shirokishi_
100% this
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

I don't think the 3DS will have better graphics than the PSP... [spoiler] I KNOW it will :P [/spoiler]

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Shirokishi_
Nothing else is right but this.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Willy105  Online
Member since 2005 • 26097 Posts
It already has better graphics. And that's without taking the fact that it's in 3D into account.
Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

When I saw footage for Kid Icarus: Uprising, I couldn't help but relate it to Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

If the 3DS doesnt have better graphics then thats quite embarrassing on Nintendos part.Shirokishi_

To be fair, the 3DS is succeeding a handheld with N64-esque graphics. We shouldn't expect any more of a graphical jump than what we've seen.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Willy105  Online
Member since 2005 • 26097 Posts

This is 3DS in real time:

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Shirokishi_

I don't think Nintendo is worried about being embarrassed. They did release the Wii after all. And the Wii is about on par with the first Xbox. With that said, I could easily see Nintendo releasing a new handheld that isn't as powerful as the PSP.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Wow, there's still doubts?
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Going off the screenshots and videos of the games that have been revealed, it already has better graphics than the PSP.

genaroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 genaroll
Member since 2010 • 710 Posts
This is 3DS in real time:Willy105
Wow the new ds is huge.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
It already has better graphics than PSP and it's not even out yet.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Nintendo CHOOSED to have worst graphics, it's not worst because Nintendo failed or something. They WANT to have bad graphics, alright?

And it payed off. Nintendo wanted bad graphics, and they won thanks to that. There is like nothing more to say here.

Graphics are not a selling point anymore, the hardware is adjusted for the price, not the other way around (lol Sony!)

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#17 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

Willy105

lol the game still looks even if its upscaled. But yeah of course the 3DS has better graphics than the psp. Have people even bothered to check the 3DSs graphics? Theyre like 7x better than the psp....seriously.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Shirokishi_

Yeah that's why they won before, they won now and they will keep winning in the future. Really embarrassing

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
If it didn't...then I'm not sure what to say.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
not only do they look more impressive in 2D, but that 3D effect requires a lot of horsepower too and that absolutely counts as graphics power
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

TheGreatOutdoor

I don't think Nintendo is worried about being embarrassed. They did release the Wii after all. And the Wii is about on par with the first Xbox. With that said, I could easily see Nintendo releasing a new handheld that isn't as powerful as the PSP.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that Nintendo would be a complete failure because their graphics are inferior, Im just saying that it would be pretty sad to see Nintendos handheld is all-in-all still behind a gen in graphics.

The Wiis graphics were still an improvement over a gen Id say. Better than the Xbox, just behind in resolution.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

kontejner44

Yeah that's why they won before, they won now and they will keep winning in the future. Really embarrassing

Never said it would make Nintendo a failure, which we all know is completely false.

blackgamer1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blackgamer1213
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

Well it is 3D so.... technically yea. To be able to pull off 3D it has to have a lot of graphical potential.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Better, and in 3D.
smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

LOL Serious topic?

It already does from screens/videos.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
The GPU in the 3DS is more powerfull then what is in the PSP. The PSP is a handheld PS2 with less features, which puts the hardware back 10 years. And from the tech demo i've seen of the 3DS it can pump out the polys and textures without a problem. But its all up to the devs.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Me?

I think they may have similar graphics, it would be really impressive if it had better graphics than the PSP 3000

But since Sony is working on a new handheld it will most likely surpass the 3DS' Graphics.

Knowing Nintendo, the 3DS might defeat the next-gen PSP because gaming isn't just about the graphics.

edwardorito

I am not supporting the Nintendo handheld. But I do hope the 3DS does have Xbox graphics. Means the PSP would have to have PS3 graphics...To be better. Whatever Nintendo does is going to make the Sony handheld better. We already proved today that PSP was ahead of its time and that is why it was slept on.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

Shirokishi_
If you take in the fact th PSP was released in 2004 and the 3DS will be released in 2011, that's 7 years ;)
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#30 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I wonder if there will be games made on the 3DS that wont be 3d so that they can fully utilize the hardware for focusing on the graphical aspect.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

They already look better.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

let me help you on this part

nintendo only choose the graphics of the wii because they saw it working for sony , they saw that the most cheap least powerful console always sold since ps1 entered so theyd give it a try ,

even in the handhelds dept , ,

same story heres why

more graphic=less batter life (until a better battery has been released you should not go to the extreames why you think 3ds still gets the same power out of its battery-7-8 hrs on brightest settings /3d on ,

as a dsi

because they waited until battery got better

and

2 price would be up , -look at psp go -249,99 psp -169,99 dslite is 129,99 new 89 for the old phat used and 170 for the dsi and 189,99 for the dsixl

even though dsixl is 20 more expensive then psp it has more bigger screens then all dses

and the 2 cameras alone ,are worth because psp doesnt even have one ,

and 3

nintendo always made better games and had good support from day one on all of handhelds its put out

they dont have ports of console games all the time , which is a good thing because why would i want to play a downgraded graphic version of a home console game ,of the same name -mario doesnt count they have different tracks and stuff im talkin about a game like split second-psp or nfs underground 2 or ge rogue agent

where its all the same game as the console game just less graphical enahncment

thats why i think the 3ds will sell , not because of the graphics

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Willy105

What gets me is that the gun has a very high polygon count, but his fingers are little more than textured blocks.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Ringx55

If you take in the fact th PSP was released in 2004 and the 3DS will be released in 2011, that's 7 years ;)

The PSP was in '04? Thought it was '05, and a 3DS release date hasnt been confirmed.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

it already does. just look at snake eater 3D

Tigerrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tigerrus
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
The thing is if Sony made a handheld wiith the 3DS's GPU with one screen and no 3D depending if it used a disc drive or a cartridge it would have a better battery life and better graphics. 3D effects = same strain as generating the same image twice or splitscreen, and it still has to make immages for the touch screen. So if you get rid of the touch screen and 3D efffects you the abillity to have greatly improved graphics on the same GPU.(and if it would use the same media less power) But at that point would you prefer 3D effects or better 2D graphics? And if Sony would put in a disc drive even if it has 1 less screen it probably will use more power. The nice thing about handhelds is you don't have to have graphics at 720P to make them look like 720P graphics on a handheld. With a handheld you have a smaller screen and so less need for high quality detail in games that could only be given by 720 or 1080P(or greater) and still would look simular. I think before I would want a DS3 I would want some thurough testing on if focusing on glassesless 3d effects and the 2d touch screen would give headaches or not, And how good is the viewing angle or will I have to look like a loon to use its tilt sensor. If Sony retaliates with a PSP2 I really hope it isn't download only, but actually that wouldn't be too bad since with a handheld being able to carry your entire game collection with you where ever you go with out having to fuss about changing cartriges, cards, or discs it would be nice. Go fails because like 90% of the PSP game collection isn't avalible on it. I think if Sony doesn't answer Nintendo's 3DS with a pwnage handheld(that is portable and comfortable) they will be knocked out of the handheld devision of gaming. D= But I guess I wouldn't mind only seeing Nintendo Handhelds, But competition spawns modivation for improvements or just plain dirty tactics or both. I think I typed a message that looks like the rambling of a madman.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mario1331

The thing is if Sony made a handheld wiith the 3DS's GPU with one screen and no 3D depending if it used a disc drive or a cartridge it would have a better battery life and better graphics. 3D effects = same strain as generating the same image twice or splitscreen, and it still has to make immages for the touch screen. So if you get rid of the touch screen and 3D efffects you the abillity to have greatly improved graphics on the same GPU.(and if it would use the same media less power) But at that point would you prefer 3D effects or better 2D graphics? And if Sony would put in a disc drive even if it has 1 less screen it probably will use more power. The nice thing about handhelds is you don't have to have graphics at 720P to make them look like 720P graphics on a handheld. With a handheld you have a smaller screen and so less need for high quality detail in games that could only be given by 720 or 1080P(or greater) and still would look simular. I think before I would want a DS3 I would want some thurough testing on if focusing on glassesless 3d effects and the 2d touch screen would give headaches or not, And how good is the viewing angle or will I have to look like a loon to use its tilt sensor. If Sony retaliates with a PSP2 I really hope it isn't download only, but actually that wouldn't be too bad since with a handheld being able to carry your entire game collection with you where ever you go with out having to fuss about changing cartriges, cards, or discs it would be nice. Go fails because like 90% of the PSP game collection isn't avalible on it. I think if Sony doesn't answer Nintendo's 3DS with a pwnage handheld(that is portable and comfortable) they will be knocked out of the handheld devision of gaming. D= But I guess I wouldn't mind only seeing Nintendo Handhelds, But competition spawns modivation for improvements or just plain dirty tactics or both. I think I typed a message that looks like the rambling of a madman.Tigerrus

na but you didnt answer his question at all

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I didn't think this was debatable. Of course, the 3DS looks better than the PSP. Have you seen the screenshots of the games?!
Tigerrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tigerrus
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

[QUOTE="Tigerrus"]The thing is if Sony made a handheld wiith the 3DS's GPU with one screen and no 3D depending if it used a disc drive or a cartridge it would have a better battery life and better graphics. 3D effects = same strain as generating the same image twice or splitscreen, and it still has to make immages for the touch screen. So if you get rid of the touch screen and 3D efffects you the abillity to have greatly improved graphics on the same GPU.(and if it would use the same media less power) But at that point would you prefer 3D effects or better 2D graphics? And if Sony would put in a disc drive even if it has 1 less screen it probably will use more power. The nice thing about handhelds is you don't have to have graphics at 720P to make them look like 720P graphics on a handheld. With a handheld you have a smaller screen and so less need for high quality detail in games that could only be given by 720 or 1080P(or greater) and still would look simular. I think before I would want a DS3 I would want some thurough testing on if focusing on glassesless 3d effects and the 2d touch screen would give headaches or not, And how good is the viewing angle or will I have to look like a loon to use its tilt sensor. If Sony retaliates with a PSP2 I really hope it isn't download only, but actually that wouldn't be too bad since with a handheld being able to carry your entire game collection with you where ever you go with out having to fuss about changing cartriges, cards, or discs it would be nice. Go fails because like 90% of the PSP game collection isn't avalible on it. I think if Sony doesn't answer Nintendo's 3DS with a pwnage handheld(that is portable and comfortable) they will be knocked out of the handheld devision of gaming. D= But I guess I wouldn't mind only seeing Nintendo Handhelds, But competition spawns modivation for improvements or just plain dirty tactics or both. I think I typed a message that looks like the rambling of a madman.Mario1331

I haven't looked at the official specs of the 3DS yet but I do think it will have the capabillities of better graphics than the wii on its screen sizes.(and possibly if it was doing a single screen at 480P) And I think I was just doing a madman ramble D= D= D= D= D=
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="Tigerrus"]The thing is if Sony made a handheld wiith the 3DS's GPU with one screen and no 3D depending if it used a disc drive or a cartridge it would have a better battery life and better graphics. 3D effects = same strain as generating the same image twice or splitscreen, and it still has to make immages for the touch screen. So if you get rid of the touch screen and 3D efffects you the abillity to have greatly improved graphics on the same GPU.(and if it would use the same media less power) But at that point would you prefer 3D effects or better 2D graphics? And if Sony would put in a disc drive even if it has 1 less screen it probably will use more power. The nice thing about handhelds is you don't have to have graphics at 720P to make them look like 720P graphics on a handheld. With a handheld you have a smaller screen and so less need for high quality detail in games that could only be given by 720 or 1080P(or greater) and still would look simular. I think before I would want a DS3 I would want some thurough testing on if focusing on glassesless 3d effects and the 2d touch screen would give headaches or not, And how good is the viewing angle or will I have to look like a loon to use its tilt sensor. If Sony retaliates with a PSP2 I really hope it isn't download only, but actually that wouldn't be too bad since with a handheld being able to carry your entire game collection with you where ever you go with out having to fuss about changing cartriges, cards, or discs it would be nice. Go fails because like 90% of the PSP game collection isn't avalible on it. I think if Sony doesn't answer Nintendo's 3DS with a pwnage handheld(that is portable and comfortable) they will be knocked out of the handheld devision of gaming. D= But I guess I wouldn't mind only seeing Nintendo Handhelds, But competition spawns modivation for improvements or just plain dirty tactics or both. I think I typed a message that looks like the rambling of a madman.Tigerrus

I haven't looked at the official specs of the 3DS yet but I do think it will have the capabillities of better graphics than the wii on its screen sizes.(and possibly if it was doing a single screen at 480P) And I think I was just doing a madman ramble D= D= D= D= D=

well at least the ramble made sense:P

a_simple_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 a_simple_gamer
Member since 2010 • 1338 Posts

Me?

edwardorito

Considering it comes years later and has avastly more advenced GPU confirmed, yes, will have graphicsfar better than PSP

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Dude, Kojima himself confirmed that the 3DS was able ti run DOWNSCALED PS3 GRAPHICS. As far as I know, the PS3, and therefore by extension, the 3DS, is more powerful than the PSP.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

Are you kidding me? Has Nintendo ever had better graphics than anybody? The last time this happened, Nintendo peaked with Donkey Kong Country. In Nineteen Ninety-Four.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

Of course the 3ds as better graphics. Just like the ps3 has better graphics than wii.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Yeah, but i am going to wait to see the PSP2 before i get a next generation handheld.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#47 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Graphics don't matter, but I think the 3DS wioll have slightly better graphics than the PSP. It's the 3D and games that will take the cake, though, it already has a stellar line-up.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I already think it does judging from what I've seen of the 3DS.
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

I think its nigh impossible for SONY to win the Handheld market. But I think they should still go after it so they can make some more money and we can keep getting good PSP content.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="Ringx55"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Shirokishi_

The PSP was in '04? Thought it was '05, and a 3DS release date hasnt been confirmed.

Japan