Do you think Smash Bros Ultimate will make up for Switch’s lackluster 2018?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Smash Bros Ultimate will make up for Switch’s lackluster 2018? (42 votes)

Yes, it will be worth the wait. 43%
No, it still doesn’t take away from Switch having a lackluster year. 57%

As a Switch owner I’m not that excited with how Nintendo has handled the second year of the Switch. It was really nothing compared to the launch year. There was mention of some highly anticipated titles but we don’t know their release date yet, The only major game coming out for the Switch this year is Smash Bros. Does this make up for the Switch’s lackluster 2018, SW? I think it will be a great game, but I don’t think it makes up for the year.

• 
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No.

It still makes the year lackluster.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I thought that this year wasn’t too bad for the Switch myself but yeah Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is going to be a fantastic game.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

lolno. I don't know how Switch-only owners get by. There is no 3rd party support at all and Nintendo already blew their first party load in the first year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

lolno. I don't know how Switch-only owners get by. There is no 3rd party support at all and Nintendo already blew their first party load in the first year.

There are Switch-only owners? Nintendo has released supplement systems for me over the past few gens. The Switch is the one they freakin' nailed. No word of a lie, i'm gonna be playing Octopath on my bedroom TV all day tomorrow. It's gonna happen.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

Lackluster in compared to what? God of war? Lol

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

There are Switch-only owners? Nintendo has released supplement systems for me over the past few gens. The Switch is the one they freakin' nailed. No word of a lie, i'm gonna be playing Octopath on my bedroom TV all day tomorrow. It's gonna happen.

I've seen people on other forums like resetera who claim to only own a Switch so they do exist. These have to be people who only care about Nintendo games. I don't get it lol.

Nintendo systems are fine as secondary consoles though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

The lackluster only comes if you only own a Switch and with the release of Octopath, it made up some of the lackluster and since I have other systems to play on, this is what you would expect from Nintendo, waiting until the exclusive game lands. And besides, Switch has 3rd party support, so I really don't see this lackluster and it sure is hell doing a lot better then what MS puts out on their Xbox One to say the least.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

If there is a single player campaign ala Subspace Emissary - then yes.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I guess I'm one of those weirdos who only owns a Switch, but I haven't found it lackluster. Not as many big releases as 2017 for sure, but there's a lot of stuff out or coming out which makes this a good year also imo. Not just Smash, but Octopath Traveller, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Okami, Captain Toad, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and a whole bunch of great indies and DLCs. So while I can understand why some may consider 2018 to be disappointing, it hasn't been for me.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#10 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

So Bayo 1 + 2, Kirby, DKC: TF, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Octopath, MH Gen Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go, SSB Ultimate all in one year is lackluster compared to God of War and... Spiderman?

Not to mention the crazy amount of indies the system is getting and there is plenty of 3rd party support. Granted most of them are ports, but the fact that most companies are at least porting games over to the Switch compared to the Wii U where it was almost entirely ignored by third parties.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Smash Bros Ultimate will not be enough to make up this year. The game itself cannot even rescue a sinking ship. My issue is Nintendo's lack of groundbreaking 3rd party titles on their main consoles. The only games that keep Nintendo in the business are their own exclusives like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon and so on.

Worried what will happen to the Switch when the next PlayStation and Xbox come out. The Switch has so much potential and Nintendo can't screw it up.

Maybe this is karma for Nintendo for backstabbing and blindsiding Sony, but that was over 20 years ago.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#12 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Smash Ultimate will be so dense with content that you'll forget what it was like to even own a Switch before it came out.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I guess it is lackbuster but I'm still playing catch up with Switch games so I didn't really notice. I didn't buy Mario or Splatoon 2 yet because indies get more my interest on it. That said, when Smash comes out, I'll forget everything else.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

70% of all switch owners own another console according to NPD.

at 3:09

Loading Video...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea nintendo dropped the ball.

however smash is shaping up to be better than even i imagined.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Where is the "I don't think this has been a lackluster year for the Switch" option? I've bought more games for my Switch this year than I bought for my PS4 and Xbox One.

And Smash Bros. is not the only major game coming out for the Switch this year. Mario Party is coming out as well and that is always a huge seller.

That said, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does look amazing!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

No, and I don't care about Super Smash either. Honestly, the thing I'm most hyped about concerning the Switch this year is the Hori D-pad joy-con peripheral.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@lundy86_4: "The Switch is the one they freakin' nailed. "

N64 is way better than GC/Wii/WiiU/Switch.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

The Switch has had a good year so far, so I reject the premise of the thread to begin with. Obviously it is a little weaker than 2017, which had one of the strongest years of any console over the past decade, but I've been playing my Switch far more than any other platform this year.

As for Smash, sure, it'll be a huge hit. Nothing else to say about that, really.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I can't say I'm interested in anything major coming up on the Switch at all, which is something I can't even claim about the XOne for Chrissakes, a system I don't even own. Nintendo playing it safe in their little bubble with the same old usual crew. They have got to be one of the most complacent and unambitious companies in existence. A continual disappointment.

At this point I'm using my Switch exclusively for indies.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Smash Bros Ultimate will not be enough to make up this year. The game itself cannot even rescue a sinking ship. My issue is Nintendo's lack of groundbreaking 3rd party titles on their main consoles. The only games that keep Nintendo in the business are their own exclusives like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon and so on.

Worried what will happen to the Switch when the next PlayStation and Xbox come out. The Switch has so much potential and Nintendo can't screw it up.

Maybe this is karma for Nintendo for backstabbing and blindsiding Sony, but that was over 20 years ago.

So, for basically saving their business, but handling it the wrong way? Nintendo may have not been morally straight, but neither was Sony. It was scumbag vs scumbag.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I've seen people on other forums like resetera who claim to only own a Switch so they do exist. These have to be people who only care about Nintendo games. I don't get it lol.

Believe it or not but most people have lives outside of video games (or at least should), and the thought of owning more than two is a huge waste of time.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I own a ps4 and switch, had ps4 since launch, only exclusive I'll buy for my ps4 this year is Spiderman . switch ive already gotten octopath and will get smash.

Its cool if you think the switch is lackluster, but in my eyes then the ps4 is even more lackluster.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Hmm... it hasn't been a very consistent year for Switch has it? Oh well.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

This year has not been as good as the previous, but lackluster? Nope. Far from it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

No. It's more Smash. woop.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Octopath Traveler has made my year, so there is nothing lackluster about that for me. There is not a single game on My Ps4 Pro/Xbox one that even comes close for me.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Neither, the year wasn't lackluster and if any game would fix it, i would be Octopath Traveler for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Octopath and Okami and West of Loathing are the real standouts for me

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Octopath is my GOTY. People on these boards are weird. Plenty to play this year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@PSP107: I was referring to past few gens, so the Wii/WiiU.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

its been pretty good and going forward there are some pretty big games.

• I got octopath traveller and captain toad (never got the wiiu version) which were released this year. nice games. I also got dragon quest builders but i think that was released last year.
  • Okami HD is out. anyone who hasnt bought at least 1 copy of okami....sort it out. doesnt matter which platform. I may swap out my old wii copy.
  • i still need to get the expansion to kingdom battle.
  • coming up is the expansion to xenoblade 2 (should be big), monster hunter (frickin huge and the switch is ideal for it) and the upcoming smash ultimate.
  • not a bad year. no shortage of games to play on it. as usual with nintendo consoles: if its your only gaming device then you are missing out on the AAA multiplats but as a complimentary system it hasnt been a bad year at all.
  • 2018 was never going to be as good as 2017 but then 2017 had one of the greatest zeldas ever made AND one of the greatest 3D mario platformers ever made (im kinda surprised they are not expanding on it)...thats a hard act to follow on any gaming device.

i am certainly happy with mine.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

There are a few good games for switch only owners to enjoy before smash such as DBZ fighter, Mario Party and Disgaea 1 remake. 2018 isn't that bad.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@svaubel said:

So Bayo 1 + 2, Kirby, DKC: TF, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Octopath, MH Gen Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go, SSB Ultimate all in one year is lackluster compared to God of War and... Spiderman?

Not to mention the crazy amount of indies the system is getting and there is plenty of 3rd party support. Granted most of them are ports, but the fact that most companies are at least porting games over to the Switch compared to the Wii U where it was almost entirely ignored by third parties.

I find that first party lineup pretty weak myself. Mostly because its ports. I figured since WiiU wasn't getting much 1st party content its last year that the teams had more projects that would be ready by now.

Still love my Switch though. This year I sunk 80+ hours into Stardew Valley, still play MK8 Deluxe, Rocket League, and Fortnite online, beat all the Shovel Knight campaigns, and the Crash trilogy, and am working on 100%ing Mario Odyssey. 5 worlds to go.

I'll be getting Donkey Kong and Captain Toad when they're cheaper (hopefully Black Friday), Mario Party and Pokemon are maybe's, and Smash is day 1. Also itching to get back into BOTW.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

I voted yes, but I'm not the best authority on this. I'm going to buy a Switch around Christmas, so I'm going in with a backlog already (Mario, Zelda, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Splatoon, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Super Bomberman, Mario Party, Octopath Traveler, Kirby, Pokemon Let's Go, Smash, Ys VIII, Captain Toad, and more). It's a huge backlog already and then more are coming out in 2019, I would barely be able to keep up!

However, for someone who got a Switch at launch and had the Wii U, this was a lackluster first half. The only major releases were Kirby, Labo, and Mario Tennis for a while. Though now they shouldn't complain because it's been a steady stream of major games so far, but meh.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LuxuryHeart
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

You have to expand out of your hardcore gaming circle in order to see it. Like I have some cousins who mostly game on their iPad, and it's usually one of those endless runners or candy crush. However, they do have a 3DS and will turn it on for some Mario Kart. Really, I think that's the only game they play outside of their mobile devices. Even their mom isn't them most hardcore gamer. She just plays Mario and Sonic. It's not that they aren't exposed either since my brother is constantly playing his PS4, but they just do'n't seem interested in those games. The only time they actually stopped what they were doing to play with us was with Mario Kart on the Wii U. Even then they didn't care for any other Nintendo game like Smash or Bayonetta.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@svaubel said:

Bayo 1 + 2, Kirby, DKC: TF, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Octopath, MH Gen Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go, SSB Ultimate all in one year

A pile of ports from 5 to 10 years ago (Bayo 1) isn't impressive.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart
@svaubel said:

You have to include third party for Sony as well and remember pacing. The Switch is pulling itself together and releasing a lot of quality games right now. Though there was a drought at the beginning. Not even the usual summer drought, but like an early drought. In the first half, for a Wii U owner, they only had Kirby, Labo, Mario Tennis, and some indie games. That's compared to Far Cry 5, Dragon Ball Z Fighter, Monster Hunter World, and God of War for the PS4 along with a lot of the same indies.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Lackluster? LOL okay....

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide

@locopatho said:
@svaubel said:

Bayo 1 + 2, Kirby, DKC: TF, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Tennis, Captain Toad, Octopath, MH Gen Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go, SSB Ultimate all in one year

Tennis, Party, and Let's Go are not ports.

And Ultimate is getting further and further away from port with every announcement.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LuxuryHeart
@PSP107 said:

@lundy86_4: "The Switch is the one they freakin' nailed. "

N64 is way better than GC/Wii/WiiU/Switch.

The Wii and Switch are better than the N64. Though I agree about the Wii U and GameCube. The GameCube was the worst one to be honest.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@locopatho said:
@svaubel said:

And Ultimate is getting further and further away from port with every announcement.

The lineup obviously isn't 100% ports (though Party might as well be, same game every time since the N64 days) but it's still pretty bad to be so reliant on them. Reminiscent of the very early days of PS4 and Xbone, when HD Borderlands was meant to excite.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bread_or_Decide

@locopatho said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@locopatho said:
@svaubel said:

The lineup obviously isn't 100% ports (though Party might as well be, same game every time since the N64 days) but it's still pretty bad to be so reliant on them. Reminiscent of the very early days of PS4 and Xbone, when HD Borderlands was meant to excite.

Every console has to start somewhere. The PS4 wasn't even worth its sales until last year.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LuxuryHeart
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@locopatho said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@locopatho said:
@svaubel said:

Every console has to start somewhere. The PS4 wasn't even worth its sales until last year.

I don't get why people trash the Switch so much. It actually has one of the best launch line ups of all time. Probably only beat by the PS2 when every third party developer tripped over themselves to put games on that system.

To be honest, systems take a while to build up their library. It's why I usually buy a system after it's been on the market for a while to have a guaranteed backlog when I get the system.