Do you think Sega would be a better competitor to Sony then MS these days?

• 69 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#51 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

**** no.

Sega was already competition, and they ultimately failed. It is what it is.

during my childhood. sega actually owned nintendo in every way.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#52 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63076 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

during my childhood. sega actually owned nintendo in every way.

There were 2 generations of consoles after that where the Saturn n Dreamcast failed, miserably.

Sega has a laundry list of IPs I wish they were doing stuff with, but Sega as is would be a lousy competitor to Sony. They already got cooked. For all of Microsofts many failings, they at least got one console run where you could say they hung with Sony (albeit it required sony to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot), can't say that about Sega. They didn't just go 0-2, they went the **** out of business.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 352 Posts

As much as I would love to see Sega back in the hardware space it would never happen and it would be heartbreaking to see them fail again. But SEGA's stable of IP's are amazing, if it was done right it would have exclusives IMO far better than any of the competition. Games like Uncharted, Spiderman and TLOU vs stuff like Sonic, After Burner, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Outrun, Shinobi, Streets of Rage and Yakuza. No contest Sega are legendary. But any competitor to Sony is good I would not like to see a monopoly in the console space so I welcome Microsoft.

Disclaimer: I am a massive SEGA fanboy :)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#54 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 14724 Posts

@floppydics: Problem with Microsoft is their lack of first-party IPs. It's just Halo and Forza, and not much else. An ideal scenario might be Sega and Microsoft teaming up: Sega's IPs combined with Microsoft's money.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

No but they would be at least some competition in the field of Handhelds for Nintendont other than Smartphones. :P

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-game-gear-micro-announced-tinyhanded-gamers-r/1100-6477977/

SEGA !!!!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9226 Posts

@SecretPolice: I think Sega of Japan has s**t the bed with the way they are implementing the Game Gear micro.

Just goes to show they haven't really changed in the bad decision making department.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30662 Posts

Wow. What an absolute disappointment that big Sega announcement turned out to be. An impossibly small system to play four lacklustre games on that cost $50. How and why did this ever get off the drawing board? Yikes.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jag85  Online

Technically, the Game Gear Micro is a potentially "revolutionary" announcement. There's never been a console this tiny before. It's the first true "micro" console. And could pave the way for more "micro" devices.

But is a "micro" console actually "necessary"? No, not really. But this is very much the kind of out-of-left-field announcement that classic Sega often came out with. Being "innovative" just for the sake of being innovative, even if the "innovation" was unnecessary at the time.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 352 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@floppydics: Problem with Microsoft is their lack of first-party IPs. It's just Halo and Forza, and not much else. An ideal scenario might be Sega and Microsoft teaming up: Sega's IPs combined with Microsoft's money.

I wouldn't really like to see MS buy out Sega after seeing Rare become a shadow of their former self under the MS banner, and I also like the fact that Sega are still independent. But sure, if they threw money at them in collaboration that would be a great idea. It's sad to see so many good IP's just left to rot, not just Sega but so many companies.

But yeah MS have had a big problem with their IP's this gen, nothing new they tried seemed to stick and their usual suspects such as Gears, Forza and Halo have seemed to have lost an impact with gamers this gen. MS need to bring huge AAA exclusives back on the level of Sony's big guns to win back peoples trust after this gen. Maybe they should make more cinematic/open world 3rd person types (eg Uncharted, GOW, TLOU) as that's what people seem to lap up these days. They have the money after all.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2948 Posts

Of course not. Sega doesn't have the capital which is why they are releasing the Micro Game Gear which is apparently all they can afford to bring to market but looks niche as hell.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 5364 Posts

@ghosts4ever: "Microsoft complete focus from now on is PC"

Lmao.....

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jag85  Online

@floppydics: I would absolutely hate the idea of Microsoft buying Sega. That may never happen anyway, due to some strict Japanese laws restricting foreign buyouts of Japanese corporations. What I was suggesting is for them to collab, with some contract where Microsoft throws money at Sega to make games with their IPs, in exchange for console exclusivity. That could be a beneficial arrangement for both companies.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#63 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39999 Posts

@sealionact said:

@ghosts4ever: "Microsoft complete focus from now on is PC"

Lmao.....

Didn't you make the claim that PC games exist because of Xbox not too long ago?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 sealionact

@Jag85: Not going to argue with someone who is probably giving their opinion, but ms have way, way more than Halo and Forza and there'll be more from the new studios.

Gears, Cuphead, Minecraft, Ori, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Fable, Senua, Outer worlds, Recore, Ryse and State of Decay tells me theres enough variation and quantity of ms ips, but some of them need better quality.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 55976 Posts

Nah. They'd have to build a whole online infrastructure, as well as develop hardware. MS is transitioning to being more service-oriented and I doubt Sega could match without investing a lot. In other words, I feel they'd shit the bed worse than MS did this gen.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sealionact

@Pedro: Nope, not going to look up exactly what I said, but it was part of a put down and for someone who was surprised at xbox games playing on PC....and I said they have been for years and PC wouldn't have any games worth playing if it wasnt for xbox. Now, if you take that seriously you must be new to SW...which youre not.

It's called goading.

You agree that MS's complete focus is on PC then?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 9

#67 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2483 Posts

I'm not all that familiar with Sega but I'd still say no.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 170002 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

Sega was never really a thing. Back in the day when I was a younger gamer everyone was talking about Nintendo and Sony PlayStation and also computer.

Never heard of the Genesis then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#69 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39999 Posts

@sealionact said:

@Pedro: Nope, not going to look up exactly what I said, but it was part of a put down and for someone who was surprised at xbox games playing on PC....and I said they have been for years and PC wouldn't have any games worth playing if it wasnt for xbox. Now, if you take that seriously you must be new to SW...which youre not.

It's called goading.

You agree that MS's complete focus is on PC then?

Nope! I just think it funny you are laughing at him when you made an equally ridiculous statement.

Now, if you take his comment seriously you must be new to SW...which youre not.😎