Do you think Sega would be a better competitor to Sony then MS these days?

• 69 results
warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5223 Posts

Lets face it MS really shit the bed with the Xbox one badly they got dominated by Sony this gen and it wasn't even close. Do you think if Sega made a new console for next gen that they would be a better competitor to Sony?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39999 Posts

Last I check MS is still in the console business and Sega isn't.🤷‍♀️

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5688 Posts

I don't think so. But maybe Sega has had time to come up with something really amazing.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13897 Posts

Seeing where microsoft is now, hell no.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5130 Posts

Only viable hardware for Sega would be a game gear, but 99% certain that will never happen. Although Sega is announcing something tech related soon, probably some micro console.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9226 Posts

Microsoft comparison aside, I'd love a Game Gear successor with backwards compatibility.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#7 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14724 Posts

From a hardware perspective, Sega just doesn't have the finances to compete with Sony, Microsoft, or even Nintendo. Sega is making a lot of cash from selling pachinko machines these days, but that's still not enough.

From a software perspective, certainly. Sega has a lot of valuable first-party IPs, most of which they're just sitting on and doing nothing with. Sega's first-party output would definitely be better than what Microsoft has.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37155 Posts

@Pedro said:

Last I check MS is still in the console business and Sega isn't.🤷‍♀️

The facts are Sega wasn't and isn't a better competitor. They would be in it if they were.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25332 Posts

Sega doesn't have the money to launch a full-scale competition to the current three companies.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 480 Posts

Sega doesn't have the money to make hardware on the level of the PS5 and XSX. The cost to create an online infrastructure to compete with PSN and XBL would also be more then they have.

Outside of Google, Apple and Amazon nobody really has the cash to burn to make a new gaming platform. Look at Google, they are trying and failing miserably.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 13018 Posts

I'll preface by saying I love old Sega consoles. But I agree with others - they're out of it because they already failed the test as a competitor. If they somehow got back in, they'd immediately be thrashed due to insufficient financial clout and trust in their stability. Now, I suppose if it was a parallel universe where they were in it AND had MS's funds, then I think they could actually outdo the PS due to their bold and diverse library of exclusives (assuming that old legacy was fully revived and persisted). But that's... an alternate reality. Sega lost and couldn't hack it now. They have some great software angles now and I'm happy for them

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 255 Posts

Sega was never really a thing. Back in the day when I was a younger gamer everyone was talking about Nintendo and Sony PlayStation and also computer.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16488 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

Sega was never really a thing. Back in the day when I was a younger gamer everyone was talking about Nintendo and Sony PlayStation and also computer.

Sega was a beast at the turn of the 90's. The NES was played out and the Sega Genesis was pushing out some amazing games. The Classic SNES games were still years away, and the only thing that floated Nintendo was Super Mario Bros. 3.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30662 Posts

No, not at all. There are some games that I enjoy from Sega but overall I greatly would take those from Microsoft over Sega’s.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 1662 Posts

The only thing Sega would be able to compete against is the Ouya and Stadia

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_P_Daily  Online
Member since 2015 • 16779 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

I vote this the "dumbest post of the day" award.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

Sega used to be king during SNES/genesis era actually.

Sony only have quantity, not quality of games as most of thier games are third person movie games.

Microsoft complete focus from now on is PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 34071 Posts

Let SEGA just make PC games please. They are better now than they ever were before.

SEGA failed at what Nintendo managed to do: and that is make all their IP work in 3D as well.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3087 Posts

No.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42472 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Atomic1977 said:

Sega was a beast at the turn of the 90's. The NES was played out and the Sega Genesis was pushing out some amazing games. The Classic SNES games were still years away, and the only thing that floated Nintendo was Super Mario Bros. 3.

This is the correct answer and I was their with everything happening growing up in the 90's. SNES was my first ever gaming console my parents got me and follow by Sega Genesis. The Genesis was really an awesome competitor towards Nintendo. To be honest, I find Sonic games to be more fun and challenging then Mario games themselves but yeah, I love both companies but Sega was a beast before they got carried away spending way too much money on other hardware.

Sadly, if Sega were to comeback, they wouldn't make it through the first year cause what can Sega offer then what's already done on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo consoles? They gotta come up something that's out of this world in order to get the upper-hand.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5959 Posts

If someone were to shovel SEGA 20 billion to jump back into the console market, I think things could be interesting. As long as they stay the hell away from partnering with MS again. They sank them.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 8674 Posts

No, Sega of America and Sega of Japan, could never agree, so it felt like Sega where never sure on their hardware. I was going to get a dreamcast, but there were rumours of a new version of the console that played DVDs or something, so I was going to wait, then it flopped.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jag85
@Atomic1977 said:

There was a time when Sega was the biggest video game company in the world, during the early '90s. Sounds like you were living in some twisted alternate reality. Or did you grow up in a country where Sega wasn't "a thing"? Or were you even born back when they were "a thing"?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jag85

@HalcyonScarlet said:

No, Sega of America and Sega of Japan, could never agree, so it felt like Sega where never sure on their hardware. I was going to get a dreamcast, but there were rumours of a new version of the console that played DVDs or something, so I was going to wait, then it flopped.

The whole SOJ vs. SOA conflict only lasted up until the Saturn era, and the beef had already ended by the time the Dreamcast era began. But the damage to the Sega brand had already been done by that point.

And then there's Sega of Europe, which has always got along fine with both SOJ and SOA. Nowadays, SOE is an important part of Sega, largely responsible for expanding to the PC market and taking over the strategy genre, as well as reviving classic Sega IPs.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 8190 Posts

@warmblur: Possibly. This gen Xbox One reminded me of the Atari Jaguar and 3DO. They did awful. I mean, the original Xbox wasn't that big a seller but this was their 3rd go-round so I think everyone expected more. Microsoft isn't consistent enough to really compete. They should do what Nintendo is doing instead of trying to go head2head.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 8190 Posts

@warmblur: Possibly. This gen Xbox One reminded me of the Atari Jaguar and 3DO. They did awful. I mean, the original Xbox wasn't that big a seller but this was their 3rd go-round so I think everyone expected more. Microsoft isn't consistent enough to really compete. They should do what Nintendo is doing instead of trying to go head2head with Sony.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 133 Posts

@warmblur: So far every console has “shit the bed” at one point or another, sony did with the ps3. I think with these new consoles, both are going to sell like crazy and i think its going to be very close on who wins the console war.

To be a console gamer at this point is going to be awesome. There is going to be A LOT of competition between PS5 and XsX.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18774 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

Yikes.

On topic, nah. Sega had their go.

And for all the hate Xbox gets, they've been a much needed fire under Sonys ass. Doubt Playstation would be what it is today without the Xbox competition.

Aside from that, glad I don't need to buy another box to play Sega games. Glad they're a 3rd party.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 133 Posts

Sega genesis and Nintendo went hand in hand. I had a Nintendo but i always wanted to play On the sega genesis. My friend had a genesis but always liked my Nintendo games. Genesis, while sometimes the graphics were muddy, it was one of the best systems alongside Nintendo.

I think sega would still suffer the same fate. They have always made horrible decisions. The genesis was an excellent console but it fell victim to failed addon after addon. Then the saturn came and they made the same horrible decisions with that console. Its just a doom and gloom brand

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Atomic1977

I was born in 1977 so I grew up in the gaming era. My first system was the Atari 2600, NES ,and game boy ect. I was always a Nintendo person because I grew up with the policy Nintendo does what Sega Don’t.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jag85

The Sega brand has been having a revival lately. With games like the Yakuza series, Persona series, Total War series, Sonic Mania, the Wonder Boy games, Shenmue III, Streets of Rage 4, etc.

And then there's the Sonic movie. It's technically the second highest-grossing movie of 2020 so far and a potential Oscar nominee... thanks to a certain Miss Rona eliminating the competition.

If the Sonic movie franchise takes off, that could establish Sega as a movie studio, which could be a major source of income for Sega. Then they might eventually have enough finance and clout to launch a console... Or alternatively, Sega Pictures (or whatever its movie branch gets called) could even end up becoming a rival to Sony Pictures. Which is all pretty unlikely, but one can dream.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5223 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The Sega brand has been having a revival lately. With games like the Yakuza series, Persona series, Total War series, Sonic Mania, the Wonder Boy games, Shenmue III, Streets of Rage 4, etc.

And then there's the Sonic movie. It's technically the second highest-grossing movie of 2020 so far and a potential Oscar nominee... thanks to a certain Miss Rona eliminating the competition.

If the Sonic movie franchise takes off, that could establish Sega as a movie studio, which could be a major source of income for Sega. Then they might eventually have enough finance and clout to launch a console... Or alternatively, Sega Pictures (or whatever its movie branch gets called) could even end up becoming a rival to Sony Pictures. Which is all pretty unlikely, but one can dream.

That would be sweet.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

@warmblur said:
@Jag85 said:

That would be sweet.

sega genesis was last interesting console. since they console gaming has been bad despite being popular.

In this day and age console gaming is useless since everything run and play better on PC actually.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 1008 Posts

i bet they partnered with sony. and now saga going to have a gamepass type thing on sony system like with all of sega back log of games. this way they make more money to make new games.

this is just another guess.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Atomic1977:

@Atomic1977 said:

@Atomic1977 said:

I was born in 1977 so I grew up in the gaming era. My first system was the Atari 2600, NES ,and game boy ect. I was always a Nintendo person because I grew up with the policy Nintendo does what Sega Don’t.

Curious that you never really heard talk about Sega

Because everyone was talking about Playstations when you were little

Yet you were born in '77? Meaning you gamed through the era where Sega was one of the largest video game companies in the world, and PlayStation didn't exist yet when you were growing up.

Hm.

And yet you also know the Sega advert motto and spun it to be about Nintendo being the company that takes more risks than Sega.

Hm.

Sounds to me like someone born after '77, and a big Nintendo fan to boot. Sega was never a thing. Right.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

They're better off as a publisher, only systems I see them releasing are retro consoles.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4832 Posts

If they had Microsoft's wallet? Sure! But, otherwise no.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Atomic1977

@xantufrog my birthday is October 15, 1977. I am not lying. I actually have heard of sega but I didn’t know of anybody that had one. I grew up in a mostly Nintendo World after the Atari 2600 and did not really pay attention to other things.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xantufrog  Moderator

@Atomic1977: baffling, but fair enough!

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gifford38

@xantufrog said:

@Atomic1977: baffling, but fair enough!

yeah i was born in 76 and i remember the Genesis was the system going head to head with the snes.

but my console of choice was turbo graphix 16 because of the color pallet. loved the rich colors that machine could produce. i liked it better than genesis. then jumped to snes. i did enjoy the genesis though. sega was every were though. heck sega that voice is still in my head lol.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gifford38

i think sega best bet is to have a netflix type surface with there past games and future games on ps5 and series x and switch.

another words genisis, master system, saturn, dream cast games all on one service so they can get more money to make new games or even reboots of there games.

people are more brand royalty to sega than having there own system.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner

Holy shit @gifford38 you're 44?

Bro, I figured you were getting duped by console marketing because you were a kid or something lmao.

Damn man.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gifford38

@ConanTheStoner said:

Holy shit @gifford38 you're 44?

Bro, I figured you were getting duped by console marketing because you were a kid or something lmao.

Damn man.

Im just taking marks cerny deep dive video and using it in system wars to have fun. watching guys go nuts when i say the ps5 ssd i/o put being able to run straight to the gpu for assets. Even though that is what mark cerny was saying in he deep dive and epic saying the tech demo ps5 ssd i/o was bring in triangles frame by frame that could not fit in memory.

that is not getting fooled by marketing. that is getting myself hyped for next gen. see i like power just like everyone else but i also like next gen to bring other things to the table.

ps5 brings me 3d audio(tempest chip), new controller with new function like hyper feed back, no load screens, psvr2, next gen only titles.

series x brings power, cross gen first party games. they added nothing else. all they want is gamepass fill ins not caring if the series x buyer has something just next gen to make them feel they got your moneys worth.

why did we buy mid gen systems? to play current gen games in better detail and higher fps. etc.

so your willing to do again for the series x just to play better detail and higher fps current gen games?

next gen is suppose to be next gen only. always has and always should be that way.

can't believe you guys are all for this. take a new forza example wouldn't you like that game to be concentrated with one powerful console in mind?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner

@gifford38:

So basically "haha kidding, but no seriously". Neat.

Also, as I've stated before, this isn't a PS vs Xbox thing. This is people with some sense about them vs you rattling off nonsense.

I have zero plans to buy any of these new consoles, but it's far more likely that I'd buy a PS5 than a XSX due to exclusives.

PS1, PS2, and PS3, my favorite platforms of their respective gens. Owned a PS4 since 2014, didn't own a Xbone until two months ago.

So you can come off it with your busted ass narrative my guy, this isn't about small minded fanboy shit.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 I_P_Daily  Online
Member since 2015 • 16779 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

First & second dumbest posts in the one thread, congrats lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

I keep coming across rumors in my feed that MS and Sega are partnering in Japan to sell the Xbox there, curious what that could mean if true. Would they re-brand the console under Sega? Would they handle the regional marketing?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23831 Posts

Sega were rightfully curbstomped as the weakest system maker, imo the only system they had that could compete with a proper Nintendo, Sony or MS system was the Mega Drive, the rest were niche at best. (No, I don't need a copy pasted list of Dreamcast games, no one cared then or now)

They're doing fine as a game maker and publisher for decades now. No need for hardware from them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3314 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I keep coming across rumors in my feed that MS and Sega are partnering in Japan to sell the Xbox there, curious what that could mean if true. Would they re-brand the console under Sega? Would they handle the regional marketing?

Something like what Atari and Nintendo did with bringing the Nintendo Famicom (re-branded the Nintendo Entertainment System or NES) to North America during the video game crash. Unfortunately for Atari, the refusal for not distributing the NES would have save it from irrelevancy, as Atari went downhill from there.

Fortunately, Sega did not experience the fall from grace that Atari did, and it is still alive and relevant today.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jag85

@locopatho: The Master System was not niche, but was mainstream in PAL regions. Here in the UK, Sega dominated Nintendo in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, with the Master System dominating the NES and then the Mega Drive dominated the SNES. Nintendo never won a single generation in the UK up until the Wii.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63076 Posts

**** no.

Sega was already competition, and they ultimately failed. It is what it is.