Do you think exclusives still sell systems?

• 75 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Wii U

/thread

tbh the Wii U didnt had that many "system seller" exclusives. Bayonetta 2, SM 3D World, Mario Kart 8, SSB, Splatoon... I cant honestly think of anything else and Bayonetta is a niche franchise that sold even worse on Switch

Also, no one is saying that only exclusives sell consoles. Proper 3rd party support is a must aswell

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

MAjority i think yes. Are driven from exclusives then everything else. Imagine for example Switch without its exclusives ...lol !

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Oh yeah they sure do. I’ve been getting the Microsoft consoles these past two gens first because I’ve been most interested in playing their console exclusive games first and foremost. However I also pick up Nintendo’s and Sony’s systems as well because they both have exclusive games that I really enjoy playing too.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Yes, Exclusive software does sell consoles but not to the same extent as having the best 3rd Party HW. A combination of both is best just look at PS4 Amateur vs Original XB1 as an example of both better HW and Software just Dominating HW sales.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Not as much but they still have a positive impact on influencing people to buy them. As a halo fan that sells me the console as God of war will do for Sony.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Well what sells consoles in the REAL world is...

• Hype
  • Marketing
  • Timing
  • Price

Little is affected by the actual games, the Wii/PS2/DS all where marketed with "gimmicks" or catch phrases its why their sales are drastically higher than other consoles.

We the gamer's are in a bubble, think of us as the Rap heads of the gaming world or movie lovers... While we will hype Kendriks and the Grand Budapest Hotels of the world the average Joes will go with the Avengers and 6ix9ine's of the world.

Little is to do with the actual product, its like Dr Beats... Has nothing to do with the quality of the product, just like the games we hype and love the averages joes are what make a console a Wii U or a Wii, not us which is completely controlled by hype, timing, price and marketing just look at PUGB or Fortnite or Minecraft of COD?... Hype and Marketing along with timing is what made them successful, its what turns a average game or product into a ridiculous success.

TLDR: No and never has.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3053 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

People don't buy systems just to play 1 game. What exclusives do is help sway consumers to choose one over the other. Both systems share most of the same games but when PS4 does have games like God of War, Spiderman and Horizon while the Xbone doesn't have any exclusives on the same level it makes most people choose PS4.

I bought an og Xbox just for Halo. Totally worth it.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the PS4 for exclusive for a while now. It's starting to be very interesting now. But the price is high.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It gives the platform an identity, a brand, so yes.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@MonsieurX said:

Wii U

/thread

tbh the Wii U didnt had that many "system seller" exclusives. Bayonetta 2, SM 3D World, Mario Kart 8, SSB, Splatoon... I cant honestly think of anything else and Bayonetta is a niche franchise that sold even worse on Switch

Also, no one is saying that only exclusives sell consoles. Proper 3rd party support is a must aswell

The Wii U is a different case. I mean look at the Wii. That sold without much of the hardcore third party support. The Wii U messed up with hardware. Most of the Wii fans were expecting: HD Wii, named Wii 2, better online, better motion controls, more storage, and launched with Wii Sports 2. What they got: HD console, named Wii U, shitty online, ugly tablet/controller hybrid replaced motion controls, subpar storage, and launched with late AAA third party ports. Of course that thing flopped. Nothing to do with AAA 3rd party, more so that Nintendo slit their own throats. This is like if Microsoft/Sony launched a console like: weaker online, motion controls, and launched with games like Barbie or Cooking Mama.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#62  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I never buy a consol for one game at the moment I buy. So far I always bought Sony and Nintendo consols no matter what they always have something interesting to me but I never buy the year it comes out but I do buy in the second year.

Nintendo for the Nintendo style of games or the rare 3rd party that do shine. Sony because of the exclusive 1st party and the huge JPRG support that I do like a lot.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

100% Contributes. If you have the choice of 3 consoles, and one of them has more exclusives you want - guess which console you gona buy?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Pretty much all exclusives Ive played on PS4 have been brill. And since you cannot play them on any other system, PS4 is a must buy.

So, the answer is yes.

And the reason Xbone is not a must buy for gamers is it lacks exclusives.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@dimebag667 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

People don't buy systems just to play 1 game. What exclusives do is help sway consumers to choose one over the other. Both systems share most of the same games but when PS4 does have games like God of War, Spiderman and Horizon while the Xbone doesn't have any exclusives on the same level it makes most people choose PS4.

Well that was a giant waste of money just for the MCC and last few Halo games coming through the pipe. I hope there are other games you want otherwise you wasted a pile of money.
I won't buy a console unless there is a minimum of 10 games I want for it that I can't get on my PC otherwise I am throwing my money out the window but that is just my opinion.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

As sure as 1+1=2!!!

I reckon there are more factors to take into account in that matter, exclusives are a very decisive part of the success of a console though.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I buy a console for its price and whether it has games that I want to play, but exclusives oo help in that direction. I don't do online play, so my choice is not affected by what consoles my friends have.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Exclusives and friends are pretty much the only things that makes someone buy a console over another. Well, then there are casuals who don't game often, and don't really have gaming friends, and they will just go with what's most popular. Which would be Playstation.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3053 Posts

@Enragedhydra said:
@dimebag667 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Well that was a giant waste of money just for the MCC and last few Halo games coming through the pipe. I hope there are other games you want otherwise you wasted a pile of money.

I won't buy a console unless there is a minimum of 10 games I want for it that I can't get on my PC otherwise I am throwing my money out the window but that is just my opinion.

I said "og" Xbox right? I mean the first one in 2001. But seeing how I got more use out that than I would with 10 games combined...I am still content with my decision.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#71 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

I'm surprised that nobody made a thread about this.

Xbox Head Says Microsoft Aims to Build a High Quality and Diverse First Party Lineup

https://wccftech.com/xbox-head-microsoft-hq-1p-sp/

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

I think console sales current gen speak for themselves. Switch is selling like hotcakes, so is PS4. Exclusives matter.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#73 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@quadknight said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

^ ^ This.

I've been on Twitter and I've been seeing a lot of hardcore lems run down to Gamestop to pick up PS4 Pros with GOW and Spiderman. One exclusive won't do the trick but an army of exclusives like the PS4 is getting does make people rush out and buy systems.

Like anything in life its all subjective.

Thats a point, sure.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

It always did, that's the reason ps4 and switch sell like hot pancakes and why Xbox is a joke.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Hell yeah. The PS4 would be utterly useless without them.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#76  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Yes I believe they do. Maybe not a single exclusive game, but put enough together and then the console looks more and more necessary to own.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Yes, exclusives sell consoles... always have and always will.