Do you think developers should tone down the violence in video games?

• 51 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think developers should tone down the violence in video games? (103 votes)

Yes 16%
No 84%

I don't see video games as being any different than movies or books when it comes to violence. It's been a part of entertainment forever. So no, I don't see the need to tone down violence in games unless it's really excessive and extreme. What about you, SW? Do you think developers should tone down the violence in video games?

• 
AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

No.

If anything, they need to up the violence/gore.

Video games are tame as it is. They aren’t realistic enough. I am actually kinda bummed out they aren’t pushing harder.

I have been BEGGING Rockstar since 2004 too allow kids/babies in GTA. My dream is to drive a car at 200km/h and then hit a baby stroller and watch the baby go flying in the air.

Or how about running full speed and football kicking a kid off a building and watch as his body goes flying into traffic?

I don’t care how offended any of you get. It’s a video game and I want to do things in them I never would in real life. :P

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

^ lol

Hm, well this is a tough one. On the one hand, I'm open the the possibility that violent games could inspire real-life violence to some extent. But one has to ask if there was no violence in games - could they even exist at all? The same goes for tv series, movies and books... - how could we create entertainment that has no violent content?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

I think it depends more on the context of the game and the violence in it. I really don’t have any issues with the violence going on in games like Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Devil May Cry, or even Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. However games like Hatred or ones that let you play the shooter going around and shooting up a school or something are just way too much and totally tasteless and unnecessary. I don’t want a GTA game that lets run over baby strollers or kids, that just seems wrong. Thankfully that kind of stuff is typically frowned upon by most and rightfully so.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

@thereal25: we have the same games in europe but dont have the mass shooting the U.S. has...... it is nothing to do with games.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

Up the violence. I wanna strangle a guy with his own intestines.... in a videogame ofcourse.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes and no. Yes for the sake of not every game needs to be hyper-violent to be "fun". No for the sake of video games are factually and scientifically unrelated to real-world violent outbursts, and in no way should an artistic vision be limited because of a bunch of white supremacist fascists not wanting to give up their assault weapons unless they can prove they are sane.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Hell no!!!!! I want Manhunt 3 in VR

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

It does come across as hypocritical that we had all these left gaming journalists and Resetera mob banging on about titties and sex in video games.

But shooting people in the face? Gotta protect that shit.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

Overall, no. Most developers seem to have a handle on how much violence works for each game. The days of gore being used to sell a mediocre product for the most part are behind us. There are a few games out there that I personally would enjoy more if they toned things down, but I'm just getting old.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@ajstyles: have you looked for mods?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Is this the moment when Trumptinos are going to start crying about violence in videogames because their masters say so? That's just hilarious!

Short answer, NO.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

The good news is that most developers have grown up and don't rely on raw violence to make a good game.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

no, just like any form of art or entertainment, movies, music, paintings, zines, it can be as tame as you want and as over the top as you want. Its freedom of expression, personally i like over the top entertainment so i would not like for peoples ideas to be watered down or censored. But hey there's a market for family friendly stuff as well, let people make what ever the hell they want and if you don't personally like it, just don't partake in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Yeah, like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead didn't had any extreme violence in their shows.

Like that scene in GoT where someone kills a horse. After that scene, I haven't heard anybody going around killing horses because it showed a horse dying in the show.

Or that one scene in TWD, where that one black got captured and leg got cut off by a group of cannibals. Didn't hear or see any stories of newly brainwashed cannibals attacking random people.

Jovay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jovay
Member since 2019 • 12 Posts

No the mass shootings and whatever will happen anyway, the people who perpetrate them will find any reason to do it, it's not Film, TV, Trump, Talk Back Radio/TV, just as much as it wasn't/isn't Metal Music and supposed satanic backwards or subliminal messages causing it ... or Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Sex Pistols or whomever "corrupting: the youth.

As long as I've been alive I've heard of something being to blame.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I love how video games are blamed when even TV is worse... also, has anyone cracked a book open anytime recently? It's a wonder some of these authors aren't brought in for severe psychiatric evaluations.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Just have a variety of games. It's the same thing with all these 'controversial' aspects of games.

Considering all the data on gaming and violence, it seems like there is zero reason for concern. There is not even correlation between violent games and crimes, let alone causation. And what is pervy sex going to do? The most harmful thing it could do is that it might lower birth rates. Our phones are already making everyone socially awkward so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

And considering we're starting to find out that 'representation' in media never has a positive effect on the people they try to represent no matter how realistic or positive its messaging, I wouldn't be too concerned about that aspect either.

All-in-all I think we should all relax and let most things exist without worry. Like I just established, it is more a matter of taste than anything else. If there is a renewed interest in more diverse games (in thought, in politics, in characters, in cultures, in gameplay, in levels of violence) then that is fantastic.

But I don't think we have to condemn developers individually (or fans) because their game/character is too this or that according to our tastes, or for their game not being diverse enough. We can bring it to attention that we're open to play other types of games and if there is a market for it, we will see more of those games. (In terms of violence I think we have an extensive palette of games.) I think the carrot works better than the stick if you want to get a point across.

The worst thing that can happen (like with Kingdom Come) is people beating down developers/games that are bringing more diversity, for not bringing the 'right' kind of diversity. Or for developers to change an established character or franchise just to be less controversial. You build up a fanbase only to tell them what they enjoy is wrong? Instead, make something new then, but don't make your fans look bad.

It's OK if someone wants only this specific thing in a game. Like a specific level of violence or a specific level of realism in the characters. But don't forget that there are millions of other gamers on this planet who may have other tastes than you, or other interests. So then it's not likely that your very specific tastes will be catered to.

If you want to live in a world that is more free and more diverse - to surround yourself with diversity - it will ask of you to be more tolerant towards other ideas/other ways/other people. If you cannot tolerate others, then you cannot handle diversity. This is a lesson that the internet still has to learn.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@uninspiredcup: It's the next thing though. First they'll replace every woman in video games by attrocious hellspawns. Next they'll replace all the guns in videogames by walkie-talkies.

Instamixes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Instamixes
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts

I think video games without violence will become so boring. I think we should not reduce violence from video games nor we should increase it. It can be dangerous to have brutal violence in our video games. But video games without any action are going to be boring enough.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7219 Posts

I think there's a difference between violence and brutal unnecessary violence. There needs to be a medium in my opinion.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I think a game can be as violent as they developers want, and have whatever age restriction is suitable for the violence.

Games haven't become as gory as I expected. The results of shooting someone in a modern shooting game is hardly any different from games 15-20 years ago. Many games don't even have blood decals/texturing, just a puff of red mist and that's it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

I think americans shouldn't even be playing violent games because they don't have the mental capacity or the morality to control their violent aggression.

The rest of the world plays violent games all the time and don't have violent outbursts every day.

It's shocking that such a violent country with such a broken society allow their people to own a BB gun, let alone a handgun or rifle.

Microsoft Parenting Simulator. Xbox Launch title. Not a bad idea.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

It all just depends on the content of the game itself and adding so much violence doesn't matter to me. I feel like most of developers are getting alot of pressure just because one man said video games is bad but we had this study done already, playing violence gaming doesn't make you go violent outside and all this is just a scapegoat cause the media doesn't want you hear the real truth.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I think games should have violence but no stuff like Postal 2.

I don't say that violent games don't have an impact on The Society. I say we need to live with the problems created. Video games are important for the health of our Society.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

If the game is good I don't care what's in it or what it is about. It's that simple.

That being said, if devs are using excessive violence just to be different and cover up bad or repetitive gameplay then it's a problem. Many have tried that route and they didn't get very far.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

@thereal25: we have the same games in europe but dont have the mass shooting the U.S. has...... it is nothing to do with games.

Agreed. I think the main issue is gun control. I really think America needs to make drastic changes in this department. In a society where at least one in ten people are mentally unstable and/or psychopathic, the idea of anyone over the age of 18 being able to walk into a store and purchase a hand gun or assault weapon is just ludicrous.

As for games, I do think that certain games are inappropriate for children and maybe even young teens. Otherwise their developing minds might get the idea that so much senseless violence is normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I want way more violence. The lack of gore in even M-rated games is very disappointing and completely unrealistic.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Nope, more sex and violence are welcome to more video games.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

It really depends in what context we're talking about violence in games. I am not a fan of gratuitous gore like in Mortal Kombat and (I know that may just be me) cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can be into that. I don't want violence to go away, it is a part of life and makes sense that it would be portrayed even in games.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that violence in games is absolutely fine and violence comes in so many different "flavors". I will just never like explicit gore that is put in there just for the sake of shock-value.

Pixel_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31 Pixel_Mage
Member since 2018 • 80 Posts

Violent video games (and movies, and TV, and music, and books, and art) can certainly attract inherently violent people, but they won't turn a normal person violent. We need to be able to recognize who these people are beforehand, and get them whatever help they need (and keep them away from guns). Most shooters aren't all that surprising in hindsight.

I was about 9 when the original Mortal Kombat released, and I didn't have any heightened desire to rip people's heads off or tear their hearts out. Over the top violence for the sake of it tends to be more dumb/comical than anything.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I tend to lean towards fun over violence in games so I would say less violence. The shock value of crazy gore ended in the early 2000’s and I want good gameplay over violence any day. My least favorite part of the Uncharted series is the ridiculous waves of people you have to kill in 3rd person. Turns Drake into Rambo and it doesn’t feel right. I would’ve appreciated some other types of gameplay over this.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It does come across as hypocritical that we had all these left gaming journalists and Resetera mob banging on about titties and sex in video games.

It's not the left that is protesting violent video games, you fucking twat.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Good job reading.

@clone01 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's not the left that is protesting violent video games, you fucking twat.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts
@ajstyles said:

No.

If anything, they need to up the violence/gore.

Video games are tame as it is. They aren’t realistic enough. I am actually kinda bummed out they aren’t pushing harder.

I have been BEGGING Rockstar since 2004 too allow kids/babies in GTA. My dream is to drive a car at 200km/h and then hit a baby stroller and watch the baby go flying in the air.

Or how about running full speed and football kicking a kid off a building and watch as his body goes flying into traffic?

I don’t care how offended any of you get. It’s a video game and I want to do things in them I never would in real life. :P

??

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

You'd think making ultra violent games for the crazies would prevent violent acts because they are playing the games instead.

They should make Manhunt VR for all the serial killers out there.

Make online versions of those games and put all the people that are really f'ed up on watchlists. Like if someone in manhunt VR really likes stalking women stabbing them and strangling them with their own intestines for multiple hours a day that might not be normal.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Nobody has gone on killing spree with video game case, cartridge, or disc. Walmart does not want to display violent video games in their stores, but you can walk across the aisle and buy one of the fire arms on display.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Don’t really care?

Violence doesn’t somehow hold intrinsic value. It’s complimentary to the goal of the developer. If violence helps achieve the goal of a game’s design, then.....ok? Won’t bother me. If it doesn’t, then it doesn’t.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

Video games are inherently more violent than other entertainment media. The very foundation of video games is violence. R-rated movie blockbusters are uncommon, yet M-rated video game blockbusters are very common. Since video games are more violent than other media, it only makes sense that video games face the most backlash over violence. So no, it's not "unfair" that games get targeted the most over violence. They get targeted precisely because video games are the most violent entertainment medium.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

@ajstyles: have you looked for mods?

Mods or meds? Lol.

@Pedro said:

The good news is that most developers have grown up and don't rely on raw violence to make a good game.

This.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#41 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I put no but it really doesn't matter to me either way.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#42 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

The worst thing that can happen (like with Kingdom Come) is people beating down developers/games that are bringing more diversity, for not bringing the 'right' kind of diversity. Or for developers to change an established character or franchise just to be less controversial. You build up a fanbase only to tell them what they enjoy is wrong? Instead, make something new then, but don't make your fans look bad.

It's OK if someone wants only this specific thing in a game. Like a specific level of violence or a specific level of realism in the characters. But don't forget that there are millions of other gamers on this planet who may have other tastes than you, or other interests. So then it's not likely that your very specific tastes will be catered to.

If you want to live in a world that is more free and more diverse - to surround yourself with diversity - it will ask of you to be more tolerant towards other ideas/other ways/other people. If you cannot tolerate others, then you cannot handle diversity. This is a lesson that the internet still has to learn.

One of the biggest flaws of those trying to force 'diversity' is just assuming everyone has equal and compatible views and the diversity they want is really just sexuality or skin deep and not diversity of ideas. They only want diversity in the most positive and mary sue like forms. The Last Of Us 2 Paris games week trailer backlash for the "violence against women" is a prime example of this as they only wanted women in privileged/special positions in video games and not equal positions to that of men.

Cyberpunk 2020's description of how 'diversity' created division with every group trying to make themselves special instead of equal and calling those that had what they didn't 'racist', 'sexist', 'elitist' and etc is prophetic.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes they should.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

No, censorship leads to more censorship.

If violent video games were to have a drastic impact on the minds of children then it would have been a widespread problem 20 years ago.

Parents are the ones responsible for allowing their kids to play age-restricted games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

No.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

Doesn't matter to me too much, but...

I prefer realism over gratuitous gore or censorship. In a game, if I shoot someone in the head with a .22 I don't expect to see giblets. If I shoot them with a slightly bigger round, I expect to see pink mist and maybe some blood on the wall from the exit wound. If I shoot them with a .50 round or larger, I expect their head to explode.

Honestly I am OK with violence because at least that can be done to convey a point, it's more specifically gore that I don't really like. Gore is violence's more primitive other half, and while they often go hand in hand, too much gore with little violence just comes off fake, crude, and childish.

With that said, I am having a really nice time watching zealots get eaten alive by rats in A Plague Tale. That's a combination of gore and violence that I can enjoy. Really great game btw.

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@KungfuKitten said:

One of the biggest flaws of those trying to force 'diversity' is just assuming everyone has equal and compatible views and the diversity they want is really just sexuality or skin deep and not diversity of ideas. They only want diversity in the most positive and mary sue like forms. The Last Of Us 2 Paris games week trailer backlash for the "violence against women" is a prime example of this as they only wanted women in privileged/special positions in video games and not equal positions to that of men.

Cyberpunk 2020's description of how 'diversity' created division with every group trying to make themselves special instead of equal and calling those that had what they didn't 'racist', 'sexist', 'elitist' and etc is prophetic.

Yeah the whole equality through inequality, tipping the scales, is bullshit to me.

There are issues with society in terms of treatment of certain types of people pertaining to race, gender, and so forth, but the goal should not be to keep the pendulum swinging towards one side or the other; the goal should be to get it to stop swinging entirely.

I live in a progressive part of the country (SF Bay Area, Northern California) and I'd say that I know quite a few gay people and a handful of trans people. With that said, they don't walk around making it a point to get that information out there into your face, so if I play a game where there are a disproportionate amount of a same-sex people, I'm thinking A.) what's the agenda here, and B.) boy this is really unrealistic, what an immersion killer.

Honestly you don't know most gay people are gay until you get to know them and you ask what they're doing for the weekend and they go "Well my boyfriend/husband and I are going to watch the football game" and then my internal response is "Wow I didn't even know he was gay!", and then my follow up response is "Well, why would I, he is just a normal dude that digs other dudes".

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I guess I've never played the "controversial" games, because I don't really think about it. Sometimes there's stuff like the sexy scenes in the old God of War games that I guess I've always thought was unnecessary or even embarassing due to the obvious immaturity involved. If you are playing FPS there's a ton of shooting violence, but I think of it more as an over the top action movie. It's rather cartoon like. I think it's a huge stretch to even suggest a game like Call of Duty or Counter Strike causes violence, though there are deranged people and degenerates that play those games. It is not the game that causes their issues. You can basically make the same argument for games that you can for guns, deranged people shouldn't violent games anymore than they should have access to guns. I guess if they have both, that can be a dangerous combination but it's the gun that allows them to kill.

I have watched a few movies that were just purely stupid violence, like so much violence the movie actually bored me. Reading about that movie "The Hunt" it just sounded like a stupid idea from the start, much like the Purge. I'm not for "censorship" per se, not by the govt, but I have no idea how trash like that gets green-lit by studios.