Do you take competitive console FPS serously?

• 66 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Edited By uninspiredcup

Poll Do you take competitive console FPS serously? (50 votes)

Yes 10%
No 66%
To be honest, i'm surprised Bill Murrays still alive 24%

Hello my friends. I was on steam looking at this video and wondered if it was bias.

I will freely admit to being a snob. I view it as immorally wrong and when I see console people lined up with head sets and a control pad playing Call Of Duty while men shout things, I see it as a joke compared to something like Quake 3.

It is wrong to have this line of thinking? What are you personal thoughts on console FPS as a competitive sport in comparison to pc gaming titles such as Quake 3.

• 
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I don't take any shooter seriously, PC or Console. It is pretty funny listening to people that do, and even better listening to Shooter snobs try and make their game/platform sound better than any other.

And TBH, I really am kind of surprised about Bill Murray. If 1/10th of the stories are true, his time in Chicago alone would've killed most men.

And that was when he was poor, and hadn't hit Hollywood...

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@santoron said:

I don't take any shooter seriously, PC or Console.

This.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

It's just a shooter. I don't care what title it has as long as I am having fun with it.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I don't follow the e-sports scene. I don't find it very interesting to watch competitive matches, probably because I'm also not interested in competitive multiplayer games or modes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

It's just a shooter. I don't care what title it has as long as I am having fun with it.

I don't like this opinion at all.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Eh.. Whoever made the video sure did nitpick the clips... He used SnD for the cod's perspective which is supposed to be more tactile (If that's the term for cod.)

Anyways competitive shooter in general is meh, but it isn't as terrible as some people think.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No , I don't . Competitive shooters on PC are much more fun to watch/play imo . New Unreal Tournament is looking good , even in pre alpha the gameplay looks solid .

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

Thinking about it, it's probably difficult for Call Of Duty as a competitive game due to the sheer volume and frequency the games released. Likewise the disconnected DLC of maps, weapons, perks and so on.

A game like Quake 3 (in the whimsical wonderful days ) you bought Quake 3. Possibly Team Arena expansion pack. That was that.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I used to enjoy watching competitive cod on twitch. So I do know some answers. Like they don't allow DLC in mlg/game battles because they want everyone to have access. (Main reason why the current DLC have random events that can kill people at anytime.) Aswell mostly everything is banned for perks/guns which is why I stopped watching it because it basically has turned into a SMG/sniper/shotty only game. Pros have already expressed their reason to play competitive and its due to the money and they do despise cod in general.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Without Splitscreen.... Nope !

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Consoles are where the real competitors are.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Games (even competitive ones) are for having fun. If you're better than someone else at pressing buttons, have better reaction time, and are just generally better at games than others in a pretend play world, that's fine. Just don't take it too seriously because that would make you pretty pathetic in the real world.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Both the same. Both jokes as a competitive "sport".

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By marinko123
Member since 2008 • 417 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Thinking about it, it's probably difficult for Call Of Duty as a competitive game due to the sheer volume and frequency the games released. Likewise the disconnected DLC of maps, weapons, perks and so on.

A game like Quake 3 (in the whimsical wonderful days ) you bought Quake 3. Possibly Team Arena expansion pack. That was that.

1. They played SnD in those clips, which is supposed to be slow, other modes are pretty frantic. I bet you haven't even watched any proper cod tournament match.

2. Even if there were perks in cod dlcs, competitive cod is not played with dlc.

3. Ghosts is ass, BO2 was much more fun to play and watch, hopefully we'll be getting back to that soon.

I will freely admit to being a snob.

Then stop making shit threads.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@marinko123 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

1. They played SnD in those clips, which is supposed to be slow, other modes are pretty frantic. I bet you haven't even watched any proper cod tournament match.

2. Even if there were perks in cod dlcs, competitive cod is not played with dlc.

3. Ghosts is ass, BO2 was much more fun to play and watch, hopefully we'll be getting back to that soon.

I will freely admit to being a snob.

Then stop making shit threads.

I respect your opinion my friend. It's very life enriching.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I enjoy playing them. But watching? Nah, never even crossed my mind to watch someone play CoD or BF. Unlike in the MOBA competitive scene, where you actually learn from the players and enrich your own playstyle (making the game more complex and rewarding).

There isn't enough complexity in these games for it to be "educational". And to me that is the only value of watching competitive games every once in a while.

Counterstrike is the only exception. Now that is an actually truly balanced and complex FPS, it requires dedication.

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By marinko123
@uninspiredcup said:

Haha. I mean, it's obvious to me that you know next to nothing about competitive cod, why make such a biased thread then? You don't see me downtalking quake or cs:go because I happen to like competitive cod. BO2 competitive was excellent and very fun to watch, shame everyone's so judgemental about it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@marinko123 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Haha. I mean, it's obvious to me that you know next to nothing about competitive cod

My friend, as a former professional Quake 3 player. To me, Call Of Duty is like watching children with hot-wheels pretend they are professional racers.

If you played Quake 3 as I did, your comprehension would be widened and a greater understanding would be achieved.

Very soon Quake Live will be relaunched on steam very soon, a prime opportunity to see a game designed for men.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I don't take any of this seriously. Not Quake, Counter Strike, COD, any of it. I think pulling some high horse card when its essentially the same thing :competing in a video game is taking it too seriously. Question: why is it the gamers that put down competitive COD are never winning tournaments at it? If its so not difficult, get in there and mop up and make some easy money.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

:competing in a video game is taking it too seriously.

Twitter is a video game. The worlds most powerful leaders take part.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cainetao11

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

With the state of the world, is that supposed to put me in awe?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

No lol. I'm burned out on MP fps games. UT does have my attention though. I also can't take someone playing a fps game with a controller seriously. Until you experience a M/K you can't understand how precise it is.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

If you don't take it seriously then your chances of having fun with it are slim to none. The point of a competitive mode it's being competitive, you want to win or at least challenge yourself because that's the only thing you can do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

But the state of the world (partly due to technology) is better than it has ever been.

I dono if you are aware of like, the last 2000 or so years, might be a good idea to look it up.

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 marinko123

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, as a former professional Quake 3 player. To me, Call Of Duty is like watching children with hot-wheels pretend they are professional racers.

If you played Quake 3 as I did, your comprehension would be widened and a greater understanding would be achieved.

Very soon Quake Live will be relaunched on steam very soon, a prime opportunity to see a game designed for men.

Sooo, playing quake 3 makes you know everything about cod? Flawless logic mate. By your posts in this topic (especially because of vid in op) I can only judge that you've never seen any comp cod match and therefore I'm not sure how you're able to discuss anything about it, let alone spout such elitist drivel.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cainetao11

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

But the state of the world (partly due to technology) is better than it has ever been.

I dono if you are aware of like, the last 2000 or so years, might be a good idea to look it up.

Sure, will do. We're basically fumbling around trying not to exterminate each other. Great, enlightened state the species is in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@cainetao11 said:

Sure, will do. We're basically fumbling around trying not to exterminate each other. Great, enlightened state the species is in.

My friend, this is a overly simplstic and I would argue it's simply self indulgent ignorance. You are that use to the luxury's naturally provided, they are taken for granted. Tis the case with most people.

Even 100 years ago, if you had a cut and an infection, in most cases, that would be it. You're fucked. Dead.

Now (due to systems in place specifically due to social enlightenment) in the majority of places in the world, it is a humans right, regardless of who they are and what they have done to receive medical treatment. As you read this, hundreds of thousands of life are being saved.

But, oh oh oh oh ohweee, the world is bad. Gotta read the Catcher and the rye... oh oh oh weeeeeeee

Load of shite.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

@marinko123 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Sooo, playing quake 3 makes you know everything about cod? Flawless logic mate. By your posts in this topic (especially because of vid in op) I can only judge that you've never seen any comp cod match and therefore I'm not sure how you're able to discuss anything about it, let alone spout such elitist drivel.

Oh, my friend, I most certainly have. In fact, the one I did see was very memorable.

Loading Video...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

But, oh oh oh oh ohweee, the world is bad. Gotta read the Catcher and the rye... oh oh oh weeeeeeee

Well, the world is full of phonies like yourself. ;)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cainetao11

@uninspiredcup: wow talk about overly simplistic view. "oh the world is great because some of the population can go to a dr"

Mine is one extreme yours is the other. Doctors aren't saving the millions being killed in Gaza, africa, or the middle east in general.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I don't play MP

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I found early last gen that I'm far more competitive (in a bad way) than I had originally thought. I was playing in a Resistance FoM tournament and had won a few rounds. I reached a competitor that was just kicking my ass and I ended up chucking the PS3 controller pretty hard. The controller's analog sticks were completely broken. $50 penalty fee for raging. It was then that I realized I couldn't do that shit anymore and stopped playing most online competitive games. Luckily, the industry made it easy for me by making tons of trash FPS games that I wouldn't enjoy anyway.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

No, and I don't like playing wiht people who do. I play multi-player purely for fun, and if it's good multiplayer, even losing is fun.

Playing with people that take the game seriously is usually a total drag because they'll get upset if anyone does something "wrong", and they go all quiet if we start losing. It's just not fun.

Now, not everyone who plays the game seriously does this. I have a few friends who take it very seriously are involved in competitions and stuff, BUT when they are playing with friends they let all of that go and just relax and have fun. But they are the exception.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Mine is one extreme yours is the other. Doctors aren't saving the millions being killed in Gaza, africa, or the middle east in general.

No, mine is grounded and logical, yours is complete and utter horse shit.

For example... We use to think we where the center of the universe and the Sun Revolved around us.... In recent times, we use to think of black holes as simple theory, because you obviously can't see a black hole. Now we have seen the center of our own galaxy and a black hole in action by the effects is has.

That my friend is sound, logically grounded example of enlightenment.

And saying "oh oh wars, oh oh wars oweeee the wars, peoples hurts.. oh the Wars". Wars are actually also a sign of progress. Without mistakes ans stumbles, you do not learn. Nor do you progress. At no point did I claim we have reached the end of the road however to say we haven't become better is just bullshit.

A very prevalent theory exists on how humanity will progress, eventually reaching a "civilization level" rather than countries. You can watch this Asian man with grey hair explain and suit will explain.

Loading Video...

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

PC is where it's at for Competitive gaming.......unless it's fighting games. Consoles are okay for Fighting games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cainetao11

@uninspiredcup: ok I don't know why your bringing space telescopic pictures into this. Look, its no secret here you are far from grounded. You come across as pretty egotistical and that is the opposite of grounded. And no where did I say we NEVER advanced, did I? You get uppity but are guilty of the same. That's grounded?

Did you serve? Where and when? Don't talk to me about wars or the wounded if you haven't. You're full of safe at home, first world, opinionated bullshit. Nothing grounded about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I had fun with competitive Gears of War back in the day, especially with a full party of 4-5 people. Good times. Other than that, I don't take any kind of multiplayer shooter seriously.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup: ok I don't know why your bringing space telescopic pictures into this. at.

My friend, the Q man from startrek explains for your mind to comprehend.

Loading Video...

Truly an intellectual show for intellectuals. New modern startrek for dummys.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

You don't have to agree with it:-) I think anyone who takes it seriously other than people who get paid to play needs to evaluate what is important in their lives.

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 marinko123

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh, my friend, I most certainly have. In fact, the one I did see was very memorable.

Loading Video...

So you base the whole judgement of the game on an outtake of some of the players trash talking? Did you watch the world cup? In some matches fights almost broke out because of fouls/bad ref decisions etc., people get killed over football... gonna disregard football as well? Didn't some LoL or dota players get a lifetime ban because of racist and toxic behavior? Ahhhh shame that you now have to disregard two of the biggest games on your precious PC.

Besides, you're still clueless about the gameplay in competitive cod and you still haven't watched a real good and exciting match.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

So we are talking about the skill involved? or simply if the game Works in a competetive setting?

If it is about skill, then most console FPS games are out per default. Hitboxes the size of houses and aim assist is outright horrible, and usually a way to make an fps Work on a controller to begin with. This will not change until controlers become more then lowest common "Works so so" with all genres.

However there are a few that Works, and from the skill level involved I would say that Halo stands around the peak.

If we talk a game that Works in a turnament setting, then near all games could Work. CoD would be a prime example since it is fairly popular, and Thus has a potential huge target demographics.

If the question was if I accept competetive FPS games on conesole at all? Sure, I mean there have been competetive pong, so if a bunch of people came together for a competetive match, then I would acknowlage that just as much as I would PC FPS tournament.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cainetao11

@uninspiredcup: Truly an intellectual show for intellectuals. New modern startrek for dummy

I don't watch television, I read. See, most people who frequently state something, as you have with the intellectual stuff, are trying to prove something. Question is to whom?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#43 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Can't take your threads seriously, that's for sure.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#44 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I don't take any FPS seriously.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i take my life, my family, my work & my friends seriously... I play games for fun on PC, consoles & handhelds !!!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Netret0120 said:

I don't like this opinion at all.

Well, no one here likes you very much, so that seems pretty fair.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

Don't think there is even a comparison between Quake/CS and console shooters if you're talking about e-sports.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@uninspiredcup: ok I don't know why your bringing space telescopic pictures into this. Look, its no secret here you are far from grounded. You come across as pretty egotistical and that is the opposite of grounded. And no where did I say we NEVER advanced, did I? You get uppity but are guilty of the same. That's grounded?

Did you serve? Where and when? Don't talk to me about wars or the wounded if you haven't. You're full of safe at home, first world, opinionated bullshit. Nothing grounded about that.

He didn't serve. A bunch of us called us out on his BS about that. He's just a troll. And not even a very good one.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

The only FPS I played last gen was the first Modern Warfare and Borderlands. Neither game did I take online. I don't think I played a single game online last gen.

I would rather beat-off with sandpaper than watch other people play video games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Hahaha. FPS with a controller, competitive? Hah I'll go with Bill Murray because this topic is silly.

Most of the console FPS have some sort of XP system so the more the play the better your character is. True competitive FPS are arena shooters in which every character is the same. They require sharp reflexes and a mouse for extra sensitive aiming.

I also don't see why consoles can't have this type of a game. You should be able to just hook a keyboard and mouse up (obviously we wouldn't allow controllers, but who would want to play like that since you'd just get owned).