TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22665 Posts

Curiosity has me pondering what the latest trends are in terms of buying content on day 1... I don't think there is any question that in modern gaming the reward for day 1 loyalty is receiving the very least optimized iteration of the game. The worst experience as opposed to the best....

For the late adopters especially those really willing to wait, you are treated to the most optimized experience, sometimes even packaged with dlc and content that would've cost you even more money. Best part, is a short wait will most certainly get you a game you civet for big discounts (except Nintendo who will always charge top dollar no matter what, usually.)

So, in short it has never made more fiscal sense, bang for your buck to wait for the game you're pining after. It offers you the best experience at the lowest cost in nearly every single example.

How do you still justify the day 1 purchase to yourself?

For me, I came off several years of being loose with my purchases, always writing everything off as, "it's my money and I can do what I want with it" which is true, so I don't argue that point... But gaming has been exponentially better since giving up that approach and being more critical of what gets my money and when....

What's your strategy?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Never did, never will

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I generally save $10 per game by preordering on Amazon so yes.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I only buy 1 or 2 games at full price per year. Every other game I wait for price drops.

Only the best games get my money. This year it will be God of War and RDR2. Those games are worth full price to me.

Next year will be TLOU2.

Everything else can wait until next year which I will buy them all for under $20 each.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator

@Telekill: Curiously... And no I'm not judging your methods at all, but I'm wondering if Amazon applies that day 1 gamers discount to entice those on the edge with buying day 1, knowing it's not the best value.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

Depends on the game really but, if it's a game I already know I'm gonna like and did my fully research on it, then yes, I still buy games day one.

If you are buying a MP game focus then less on single player, it's always best to buy the game early as possible while the MP is still active and waiting for a sale for the most parts will decrees the MP popularity but this is how I view MP heavy games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator

@davillain-: good call on MP games... Too true. Without a community those games are paperweights.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Only Nintendo games if any at all. With Amazon prime, I get my games for 47.99 as opposed to 59.99. Considering Nintendo games rarely drop in price i see the value there. Ps4 and X1 games on the other hand are often on a good sale within a month of release. Look at Doom 2016. Launched at 59.99, within a month it was 29.99, within 3 months it was 19.99. This happens quite a bit these days making waiting well worth it in my opinion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill

@TheEroica: It's possible. I generally pre-order my Switch games through them as it's the cheapest they'll be for at least 3 years as Nintendo generally doesn't lower prices.

I've also had it 3x where I can't pre-order from Amazon as they run out of stock two days after the pre-order goes up. It's happened on RDR2 (PS4), Burnout Paradise (PS4) and Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS4). I've contacted their support about the glaring issue and they obviously don't give a crap. It's lost them around $150 they otherwise would have gotten.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

Never, let the day 1 buyer become beta tester, and i become the ultimate premium user after few patches

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

@iambatman7986: yeah, I can see that approach working well for you. I always think about UBIsoft November releases which have been Assassins Creed and even far cry... If I'm asking for those games for Xmas I always tell my family to please wait a couple weeks when the game is 30 dollars before Xmas.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator

@Telekill: so will you just get it digital? I think that's what I'll do for rdr2

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#13 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

If I'm really excited for the game, then I'll probably pre-order it and get it day one. Like, I'll definitely be getting Shadow of the Tomb Raider day one because I love my Tomb Raider.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

@drserigala: And BINGO was his Name-O

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

If I'm really excited for the game, then I'll probably pre-order it and get it day one. Like, I'll definitely be getting Shadow of the Tomb Raider day one because I love my Tomb Raider.

Basically this!

I already got the pre-order done with Soul Calibur 6 for both PS4/PC and will do it for Shadow of the Tomb Raider just because I love the previous reboot games and getting ready to reinstall Rise of the Tomb Raider anyways.

Also, love the new avi/sig PrincessGomez :)

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Of course! Games like ni no kuni 2 are day 1 worth!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

For most games I don't.

But it's not wrong to have this special game you're all hyped up about and you just want to run out and buy.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Almost never. I don't even find the preorder discounts compelling. Most games are still cheaper AND patched within 3-6 months. With literally thousands of games spanning decades to choose from, who the hell needs day 1? The only exception I understand is MP games where the community will drop off fast. But, then, that still doesn't require "day 1" to enjoy, nor does it sound like a good game with lasting appeal

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Not anymore. I haven't bought a game day since 2011.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44145 Posts

Yeah I still buy games and content day one, not all mind you but when I can I usually do. The biggest appeal for me in doing that is that I find playing and discovering a game along with other people, whether that be in multiplayer or even single player, to be quite enjoyable. I also prefer to get my games on physical format so if I feel that a game may become difficult to get like that I’d like to get it as soon as possible.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Almost never. I don't even find the preorder discounts compelling. Most games are still cheaper AND patched within 3-6 months. With literally thousands of games spanning decades to choose from, who the hell needs day 1? The only exception I understand is MP games where the community will drop off fast. But, then, that still doesn't require "day 1" to enjoy, nor does it sound like a good game with lasting appeal

So how long would the Video game industry last if everyone stopped purchasing day one?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@rrjim1: I have no idea what that means. Of course people do differently than me, and by the droves. The question was what do I do and why, and I answered. Do you always buy brand new cars, go to opening night of every movie, buy gpus on launch day, etc etc, or do you prefer to wait for discounts, used products, or at least reviews? This is just one variant on that for me

*edit* I'll also add, the industry might shrink but improve if more people waited more often for complete, non-buggy well-reviewed products to release.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Sometimes I do, most of the time on most games I don’t.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4. Didn't have any game-breaking glitches with either one even though some people did.

Also, the reviews were already out prior to release.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I only buy 1 or 2 games at full price per year. Every other game I wait for price drops.

Only the best games get my money. This year it will be God of War and RDR2. Those games are worth full price to me.

Next year will be TLOU2.

Everything else can wait until next year which I will buy them all for under $20 each.

This.

Last game I bought full price and day 1 was GTA 5 and it was worth it. Nowadays it makes more sense to wait for the "COMPLETE" edition when it is $30 with all the dlc etc.

If you are buying a game mainly for the multiplayer, getting it soon after launch is key but online is rarely the main reason I buy a game and there are SOOOO many games out there that I rarely feel the need to buy day 1 (RDR2 is defs Day 1 though:P)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@rrjim1: I have no idea what that means. Of course people do differently than me, and by the droves. The question was what do I do and why, and I answered. Do you always buy brand new cars, go to opening night of every movie, buy gpus on launch day, etc etc, or do you prefer to wait for discounts, used products, or at least reviews? This is just one variant on that for me

*edit* I'll also add, the industry might shrink but improve if more people waited more often for complete, non-buggy well-reviewed products to release.

I never buy used cars or used PC parts. Who knows what crap the former owners did to them? The only thing that stops me from watching movies on opening night is the crowds because I can't be bothered to wait in (a long) line.

Now, when it comes to games, I wait for a consensus (of reviews) first. If that is reached before the game is released, then I buy on Day 1. Otherwise, I wait a bit.

I bought a 3dfx Voodoo way before Day 1. I got selected to buy one a few weeks before it released retail because I was a preferred customer. I bought 2 x 3dfx Voodoo 2 on Day 1. No regrets on either one.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Telekill

@TheEroica: No. I still prefer physical and will probably just get it at Best Buy or Gamestop at launch. I'm sure that there will be plenty of copies. No need to really pre-order unless you're going to buy the collectors editions (which I'm not).

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: I had no idea you were a GoW nerd...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@TheEroica

@stuff238

RDR2 is risky. They've been chatting up the boxes. It may very well infect the singleplayer, not just as cosmetics either. I'm holding off on that one.

Orbital cannon? And don't forget NBA 2K... Yeah that mtx atrocity was also from Take Two. You can barely get past the main menu without paying more more more more money. R*/Take Two seem to forget all about game design/balance the moment mtx come into play. Don't be surprised if the singleplayer contains a part that is frustratingly difficult/long without paying a looot of extra money.

If you look at their recent track record there is a good chance that R* will have undermined the RDR1 design with pay-to-win and pay-too-much mechanics. On top of that I bet RDR 2 is going to play a big factor in future mtx attacks on consumers so I am not touching it. 2K is holding a 7 ft. dildo and I want to know where they plan on putting it before paying them for their 'services.'

You do you, of course. But I did warn you. IMO it looks real risky. At least check that you can get a refund just in case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec
deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec
Member since 2017 • 83 Posts

Very rarely, if I do it's mainly a Nintendo game since they tend not to drop in price, however even that seems to be changing lately.

Either way I use best buy gcu so atleast still some money off.

But waiting till a game is $20 at Best buy and then buying it only a few months with gcu for like $16 feels much better than buying a game at $60.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

I don't have a reason to.

Day one are expensive and most times filled with bugs and glitches, add to that the fact that I have a huge backlog of games and theres no reason to buy any game at launch for me.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Curiosity has me pondering what the latest trends are in terms of buying content on day 1... I don't think there is any question that in modern gaming the reward for day 1 loyalty is receiving the very least optimized iteration of the game. The worst experience as opposed to the best....

For the late adopters especially those really willing to wait, you are treated to the most optimized experience, sometimes even packaged with dlc and content that would've cost you even more money. Best part, is a short wait will most certainly get you a game you civet for big discounts (except Nintendo who will always charge top dollar no matter what, usually.)

So, in short it has never made more fiscal sense, bang for your buck to wait for the game you're pining after. It offers you the best experience at the lowest cost in nearly every single example.

How do you still justify the day 1 purchase to yourself?

For me, I came off several years of being loose with my purchases, always writing everything off as, "it's my money and I can do what I want with it" which is true, so I don't argue that point... But gaming has been exponentially better since giving up that approach and being more critical of what gets my money and when....

What's your strategy?

I buy the games I really want on Day 0 which is not that many and the rest i buy on a sale. Since I have a massive backlog of games to play I rarely get to play games I buy on day 0.

But I never wonder about the cost, considering a games price today, it´s no more expensive than going to a movie or going clubbing.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

This year day one for my ps4 pro redemption 2 metro exodus shadow of tomb raider god of war dark souls remasted

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Only when I'm sure I will play the crud out of it, and then I pre order. Well, I have a couple times anyway. But, normally I wait a while when it's on good sale.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Depends on the game. As if I'm waiting for RDR2 to come down in price when that comes out. But I'll often save a lot of money waiting for certain games' buzz to die down, then never bother buying them because they turn out disappointing for everyone. Watch Dogs 2, I'm looking at you. I think games have more of a tendency to be vastly overrated when they first come out then when the hype dies down they settle into a more honest state.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Far Cry 5 has me rethinking that position though. But I need to finish Far Cry 4 before it comes out. And if I don't, then I'll get Primal next instead. Far Cry is swiftly becoming my favourite series.

I never got into the first game, the second was good, 3 was great, Blood Dragon was even better and 4 is outstanding.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I generally buy 1 or 2 games a year day 1, full price. Everything else on sale, second hand or free on XBL or PSN monthly games.

It's more content (free DLC, extensive patches) for much less money, what's not to love? However for stuff like Zelda, Last Of Us 2, RDR2, or Far Cry 5, I don't want to wait!

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Yes, but that is because I know what I like and don't need reviews or discounts this late in the game, I've been gaming since the 70's and can afford to pay full price for a game even in the rare case I regret buying it.

... I can't even remember the last game I regretted, Rise of the Robots for the Snes is the first thing that comes to mind, lol.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Depends on the game. If it's something I'm hyped about and it's from a developer that's earned my trust, then yes. But there are few developers that have earned my trust.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

There is no feeling as good as playing that epic legendary game on day one, it's what keeps me excited and enjoying this hobby. I'm very grateful to have a good job that lets me take that risk and I feel for all you millennials that won't get to have that luxury, I am sincerely sorry. Don't vote for politicians that don't represent the working class, that's all the advice I can give you.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Sometimes, but there are usually some reviews out by that point so I can make a more informed decision.

That's not to say I've never regretted it *cough* Dragon Age Inquisition *cough*

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45098 Posts

Depends on how hyped I am for the game or if there are any preorder incentives or cool collector’s editions. Right now my backlog is still really big even though I put a big dent in it this year.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Not really. Even when I was still on consoles I just couldn't afford it. Sixty dollars to play it now or 20-30 in a year or two, hmmm... Didn't help that there were always used games that I had wanted to buy but couldn't when they first came out at Gamestop. Now, with Steam sales and Humble Bundle and such, I can pay as little as five dollars for a full game plus all of its DLC, why one earth would I buy day 1?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I buy almost everything from Greenmangaming or Humble Bundle. I can get pretty much every 60 dollar retail game for 48 bucks or so. I don't usually buy them, however; I'll typically wait for a sale if I'm on the fence like I did with Assassin's Creed Origins, Wolfenstein 2 or The Evil Within 2.

I just picked up Far Cry 5 for 49, though. I also got Vermintide 2 for 22, Kingdom Come Deliverance for 30(paid into the kickstarter way back when) and Final Fantasy Windows edition for 38. All nice sales for pre-orders of all the games.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@TheEroica: The temptation is there sometimes to buy day 1 so I can really keep up with the "Jones's" and be in on all the latest discussions. And of course for those who are into multiplayers, buying at or near release is almost a necessity.

That said, some of the most enjoyable gaming experiences for me have been from buying games well after the initial release date. I rarely buy day one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Not often, but it happens. Mostly with Nintendo games. It's not like I'm gonna wait a minute more than I have to to play the latest Zelda. :P And Nintendo games never go down in price anyway. Or if I have a bunch of friends waiting for the same game to come out to play multiplayer.

Me and my friends couldn't wait to jump into some Vermintide 2 together, so we got it day 1 and had an awesome time. We will do the same for Monster Hunter World PC version.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

only buy day 1 if its a game ive been anticipating for a long time.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@TheEroica:

Madden NFL 2005 was the last full price game I bought.

And I never paid full price for sp games. Those are only worth $20 or less.