Do you still believe that consoles or PC might cease to exist as a platform in future?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I'm not trying to make this a flamebait topic. Bear with me.

So, try to imagine gaming in, e.g. 15 to 20 years in the future.

How do I see it? I can imagine Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam, and other platforms as apps that we download to our "entertainment system" which runs everything. It may even be embedded to a Smart TV which connects to a cloud and runs the games.

Basically, platforms might cease to exist in the form of "hardware" but will continue to exist in the form of service.

How do you see it?

Will a gaming platform always be "hardware"? Do you still believe a console or a PC as a gaming platform may "die" in the future?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Xbox will definitely become app for PC or microsoft store and i believe series x is last microsoft console. its not even a console at all. as its pre build PC. and Halo will finally become PC exclusive.

playstation and nintendo will forever exist.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

As an American, what is the difference between the phrase "in the future" versus the British "in future"? I ask because not everyone on this forum speaks and understand the same type of English.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IgGy621985

@onesiphorus said:

As an American, what is the difference between the phrase "in the future" versus the British "in future"? I ask because not everyone on this forum speaks and understand the same type of English.

I'm not American, nor British :-D Dunno why I wrote it like that. Probably just a habit.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IgGy621985
@ghosts4ever said:

Xbox will definitely become app for PC or microsoft store and i believe series x is last microsoft console. its not even a console at all. as its pre build PC. and Halo will finally become PC exclusive.

playstation and nintendo will forever exist.

Yeah, it actually seems like MS is going in that direction. But, I'm not so sure about PS and Nintendo existing forever.

I mean, is it really viable for gaming that every platform owner has its own hardware?

Paddy345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Paddy345
Member since 2007 • 860 Posts

Gaming is going to the cloud, for many this is how they play now. Many people are getting much better experiences with Stadia than they get with a PS4 or xbox one. As a PC gamer i don't want to keep spending thousands every few years so i'm looking forward for when gaming becomes like Netflix

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

predicting the future is the most difficult thing there is. There is one thing for sure tho, stuff always changes. microsoft and playstation might not even exist anymore, or not in their current form.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I could see both Sony and MS becoming software platforms that can be reached from any PC (MS is there already?). But I still think console hardware will be around. When you buy a console you know that all AAA games will be optimized for it for the next 6 years. You don’t have to think, research, update or anything else. It will just work.

The demand for that kind of convenience will never go away.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

PC will exist for a long time because people like to customize shit and play the way they want. Even for the console players who are more likely to turn to basic bitch streaming, the quality is still not there. The infrastructure is not ready. Not everybody has the bandwidth and there are not enough servers everywhere to eliminate lag.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@BassMan said:

PC will exist for a long time because people like to customize shit and play the way they want. Even for the console players who are more likely to turn to basic bitch streaming, the quality is still not there. The infrastructure is not ready. Not everybody has the bandwidth and there are not enough servers everywhere to eliminate lag.

This!!!

As long as PC remains as a destination for awesomeness of playing your games however you want, that's all I care. I won't shed of tears if consoles cease to exist however. But I'm sure Nintendo will still be around, so that's saying something.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Gaming going to change but I am not certain on the direction. Hardware agnostic gaming is the future though.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@IgGy621985: How do I lower my income tax with a game streaming service?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IgGy621985

@ronvalencia said:

I don't understand your question?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Tax deduction for work expenses

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IgGy621985

@ronvalencia said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@ronvalencia said:

What work expenses? Dude, I'm talking exclusively about gaming.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

lmao

Ron finally broke.

I think he's attempting a joke, not sure.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Obviously neither form factor will exist at some point in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

At this point i only firmly believe in only one thing that i apply on daily life:

~ No expactations lead to no disappointments ~

...yet there's still that "little" variable called "surprise", which usually leads to disappointment which i definitely don't expect.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Hell yeah. Firm believer in the death of consoles. They are already admitted in the hospital and very soon will be put on ventilators before finally dying.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

PC will always exist simply from the virtue of it being an open and critical platform. You can also do a lot more with PC's, they are more or less irreplaceable.

Consoles are, for lack of a better word, toys. Toys are not critical, and people grow old or tired of their toys.

What I see happening is that consoles will eventually morph into PC's, or certain companies will just throw in the towel and not bother. Consoles represent a minority of their respective company's total income (I think MS is 21% from Xbox, and Sony is 27% from Playstation).

Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, streaming will take hold and there will simply be no point in having dedicated consoles to play games when all you need is some little thing you just plug into your TV.

Either way, I don't see consoles lasting long. They're always struggling it seems, always competing. Computer hardware has competition, sure, but it's more of an organic, true-capitalism competition than a "let's **** with the statistics" kind of capitalism you see with consoles.

@IgGy621985 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@ronvalencia said:

What work expenses? Dude, I'm talking exclusively about gaming.

I think what he is saying is that if you work from home, you can deduct your PC from your taxes if it is critical to your job. Not sure about that though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

lmao

Ron finally broke.

I think he's attempting a joke, not sure.

Next we'll be getting Ghosts praising a game with a female protagonist.

The world has gone mad.

Mad I tell you!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I truly hope physical never goes away.. even though I know that's probably far from the case. Either way that's what I prefer and will continue to support for as long as possible. Services are getting better and digital isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but I still only really support it if I'm feeling lazy at the time or that's the only way I can get a game.