Do you see $ 299-399 1080p/1440p PS5/XB2 happening other than $ 499 and up "main" PS5/XB2 consoles?

Avatar image for rzxv04
Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) 3 months, 8 days ago

Poll: Do you see $ 299-399 1080p/1440p PS5/XB2 happening other than $ 499 and up "main" PS5/XB2 consoles? (23 votes)

Kinda 26%
Not really 74%

Do you see $ 299-399 1080p/1440p PS5/XB2 happening other than $ 499 and up "main" PS5/XB2 consoles?

Cheap consoles with next gen gameplay and visuals targetting 1K/1080p or 2K/1440p/1920x2160 OTHER THAN the "main" consoles at $ 499 and up.

Avatar image for Basinboy
#1 Posted by Basinboy (13876 posts) -

I am terribly confused

Avatar image for rzxv04
#2 Edited by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

I am terribly confused

Say that the main PS5 and Xbox 2 costs $ 499 and/or above that targets 4K gaming with next gen visuals. Something like a 16 thread CPU@3Ghz and 12TF GPU with total memory of 16 GB.

The cheaper PS5 and Xbox 2 could only costs $ 299 that focuses on 1K gaming (1080p) resolution or at best 2K gaming (1440p/1920x2160) resolution. They'll likely have to downclock the CPU, weaker GPU and slightly less RAM. These cheaper consoles are still getting "next game" visuals and gameplay but only render at a lower resolution.

Avatar image for Ibacai
#3 Posted by Ibacai (13820 posts) -

Games suffer when the hardware is split like this, I hope it’s not the case.

Avatar image for davillain-
#4 Posted by DaVillain- (36456 posts) -

Bad idea.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#5 Posted by MonsieurX (39056 posts) -

"Next gen gameplay"

...

lol

Avatar image for pcmasterrace69
#6 Posted by Pcmasterrace69 (372 posts) -

I just want next gen to be 60fps standard on all games.

1080p 60fps and 4k 30fps (and of course also some 4k 60fps games when possible).

Just force 60fps option on ps5 and xbox scarllet and I might buy one of them.

Fail at it and make 30fps the target even at 1080p and I will just pass/ignore next gen

Avatar image for Pedro
#7 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

This is what happens when the forumites are detached from the real world.

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#8 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

It the rumor that Xbox to have drag in drop usb C graphic card ability. Xbox pair with nvidia to sell overprice GeForce gfx card in case to match a console.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#9 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (4121 posts) -

Terrible idea, devs will have to target the weaker hardware which will hold back the potential.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#10 Edited by KungfuKitten (26540 posts) -

The leap from 360/PS3 feels so long ago...

5 'n 1/2 years now, hm? Feels more like 7.

Avatar image for Telekill
#11 Edited by Telekill (8438 posts) -

I don't mind $450 for a PS5 that's fully PS4/PSVR backwards compatible with a 2TB HDD and does 4K with 30fps.

The games I enjoy don't require 60fps and frankly, I don't see much difference between 30 and 60fps on a TV. The only thing I see as a benefit for forced 60fps would be in VR and that should be upped to about 120fps to help avoid motion sickness. At that point I'm fine with 720p visuals to properly balance capabilities.

Avatar image for michaelmikado
#12 Posted by michaelmikado (363 posts) -

There’s no point in making a “weaker” version because thar becomes the baseline for all games.

Avatar image for XVision84
#13 Edited by XVision84 (15969 posts) -

Why would they make a 1440p version when tv's are either 1080p or 4k?

I don't see why you'd need 2 different units at this stage in terms of power. A next gen console should ideally already do 4k 30fps. A more powerful console might push it to 4k 60 or have better effects but I can't see that being worth the extra manufacturing and development cost. The big selling point for the Pro versions this gen was the bump in resolution to match the rapidly increasing number of consumers buying 4ktv's.

I predict that there'll be 2 versions. One will be fully digital and cheaper, the other will be a standard console. With Game Pass being Microsoft's big push and digital sales increasing over time, I can see the value in a diskless console. It also serves the double purpose of phasing out physical media which is already happening all over the entertainment industry.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#14 Posted by lamprey263 (36108 posts) -

I see no reason for a streaming box for next gen games to need to cost more than $300, heck, I see no reason why people can't just use their XB1s either.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#15 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@lamprey263 said:

I see no reason for a streaming box for next gen games to need to cost more than $300, heck, I see no reason why people can't just use their XB1s either.

This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. Are they saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes? It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One.

Avatar image for Pedro
#16 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@lamprey263 said:

I see no reason for a streaming box for next gen games to need to cost more than $300, heck, I see no reason why people can't just use their XB1s either.

This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. Are they saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes? It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One.

Who is saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#17 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@lamprey263 said:

I see no reason for a streaming box for next gen games to need to cost more than $300, heck, I see no reason why people can't just use their XB1s either.

This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. Are they saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes? It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One.

Who is saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes?

I don't know, Pedro. That's the point. Do you need to buy the new boxes to stream or not? You shouldn't if that's the case.

Avatar image for Pedro
#18 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

Who is saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes?

I don't know, Pedro. That's the point. Do you need to buy the new boxes to stream or not? You shouldn't if that's the case.

You said "This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. " So what message indicated anything about older systems not being able stream?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#19 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

Who is saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes?

I don't know, Pedro. That's the point. Do you need to buy the new boxes to stream or not? You shouldn't if that's the case.

You said "This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. " So what message indicated anything about older systems not being able stream?

The fact that they're making a stream box (supposedly) with the new line of consoles. Unless that plan has changed. Do you need these boxes to stream the new gen games or no? If Xbox is coming to every platform, do you even need this box?

Avatar image for Pedro
#20 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

The fact that they're making a stream box (supposedly) with the new line of consoles. Unless that plan has changed. Do you need these boxes to stream the new gen games or no? If Xbox is coming to every platform, do you even need this box?

Again, what messaging was given that is confusing? If there is no official messaging then you are literally making stuff up based on rumors and throwing your traditional hissy fit. If that is the case, carry along.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#21 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The fact that they're making a stream box (supposedly) with the new line of consoles. Unless that plan has changed. Do you need these boxes to stream the new gen games or no? If Xbox is coming to every platform, do you even need this box?

Again, what messaging was given that is confusing? If there is no official messaging then you are literally making stuff up based on rumors and throwing your traditional hissy fit. If that is the case, carry along.

Pedro, shut up, asshole. I'm not throwing any kind of fit. What the hell is wrong with you some days? Getting defensive about shit when there's no argument.

Avatar image for Pedro
#22 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The fact that they're making a stream box (supposedly) with the new line of consoles. Unless that plan has changed. Do you need these boxes to stream the new gen games or no? If Xbox is coming to every platform, do you even need this box?

Again, what messaging was given that is confusing? If there is no official messaging then you are literally making stuff up based on rumors and throwing your traditional hissy fit. If that is the case, carry along.

Pedro, shut up, asshole. I'm not throwing any kind of fit. What the hell is wrong with you some days? Getting defensive about shit when there's no argument.

The irony. Don't be made because you got called on an unfounded statement.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#23 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Pedro, shut up, asshole. I'm not throwing any kind of fit. What the hell is wrong with you some days? Getting defensive about shit when there's no argument.

The irony. Don't be made because you got called on an unfounded statement.

Are you high right now? I said I was confused on what they're doing with these new boxes, based on the info that's out there so far, and you chose to be hostile out of the blue and started in with the typical weirdness and paranoia. You are fucking weird.

Avatar image for Pedro
#24 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Are you high right now? I said I was confused on what they're doing with these new boxes, based on the info that's out there so far, and you chose to be hostile out of the blue and started in with the typical weirdness and paranoia. You are fucking weird.

"This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me" again what messaging? Who's messaging are you referring to that is confusing? You are making a claim about "their messaging" and you have yet to specify what message that lead to your confusion. Its a rather simple request.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#25 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Are you high right now? I said I was confused on what they're doing with these new boxes, based on the info that's out there so far, and you chose to be hostile out of the blue and started in with the typical weirdness and paranoia. You are fucking weird.

"This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me" again what messaging? Who's messaging are you referring to that is confusing? You are making a claim about "their messaging" and you have yet to specify what message that lead to your confusion. Its a rather simple request.

About the info that's been leaked. That's all I can go on, Pedro. It's not worth falling apart and making a display of yourself about it. If you can't answer it, then why are you wasting my time? I won't know more, until I can get more info from the source. Is it that hard to understand instead of jumping straight to white-knighting Microsoft unnecessarily?

Avatar image for Pedro
#26 Edited by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

About the info that's been leaked. That's all I can go on, Pedro. It's not worth falling apart and making a display of yourself about it. If you can't answer it, then why are you wasting my time? I won't know more, until I can get more info from the source. Is it that hard to understand instead of jumping straight to white-knighting Microsoft unnecessarily?

So, you made a claim about "their" messaging and claim that "their" messaging is confusing. When asked to state what is "their" messaging you attempted to side track and then I further call you out on this fake messaging that you claim was confusing and I quote "It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One." Now you are saying what I have already called you out on that you there was no messaging and its literally something you made up to bitch about. Thank you for confirming my point.

The fact is you don't know, I don't know and no one on this board knows or can share. So until information is released there is literally no messaging coming from anyone to cause "confusion".

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#27 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

About the info that's been leaked. That's all I can go on, Pedro. It's not worth falling apart and making a display of yourself about it. If you can't answer it, then why are you wasting my time? I won't know more, until I can get more info from the source. Is it that hard to understand instead of jumping straight to white-knighting Microsoft unnecessarily?

So, you made a claim about "their" messaging and claim that "their" messaging is confusing. When asked to state what is "their" messaging you attempted to side track and then I further call you out on this fake messaging that you claim was confusing and I quote "It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One." Now you are saying what I have already called you out on that you there was no messaging and its literally something you made up to bitch about. Thank you for confirming my point.

The fact is you don't know, I don't know and no one on this board knows or can share. So until information is released there is literally no messaging coming from anyone.

Pedro, you are going insane. Before the Xbox One dropped, there was similar messaging based on leaked info as well that people were confused about that ended up being confirmed in parts by Adam Orth. So far, based on what we've been hearing from the roll out code names from the consoles and the purposes they might serve, then the parallel is there. It's not a big deal as you're making it out to be.

You have to stop being so singularly obsessed with my posts. You didn't call out anyone else in this thread for being confused, which means you chose to make this personal. This is not healthy. I can't make a knock on Xbox on info I don't have yet. You need to seriously fall the hell back and take a breath.

Avatar image for Pedro
#28 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Pedro, you are going insane. Before the Xbox One dropped, there was similar messaging based on leaked info as well that people were confused about that ended up being confirmed in parts by Adam Orth. So far, based on what we've been hearing from the roll out code names from the consoles and the purposes they might serve, then the parallel is there. It's not a big deal as you're making it out to be.

You have to stop being so singularly obsessed with my posts. You didn't call out anyone else in this thread for being confused, which means you chose to make this personal. This is not healthy. I can't make a knock on Xbox on info I don't have yet. You need to seriously fall the hell back and take a breath.

You are the only one who stated that "their messaging" was confusing. Other folks acknowledged that they are referring to rumors. You are the one that stated or talked about confusing messaging. I asked you for the nature of this messaging that you were referring. The reality is that there weren't any messaging from MS or any official entity of any kind but you were hissy fitting over rumors and stating that

"This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. Are they saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes? It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One."

Now you are all over the place with your new twist "there was a similar messaging based on leaked info..." More reference to "their messaging" with no direct connection to any actual messaging. Yet you think I am the crazy one.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#29 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@Pedro said:

You are the only one who stated that "their messaging" was confusing. Other folks acknowledged that they are referring to rumors. You are the one that stated or talked about confusing messaging. I asked you for the nature of this messaging that you were referring. The reality is that there weren't any messaging from MS or any official entity of any kind but you were hissy fitting over rumors and stating that

"This is the part about their messaging that's confusing me. Are they saying that people can't stream these new games on the old boxes? It sounds like the jumbled messaging that was predating the Xbox One."

Now you are all over the place with your new twist "there was a similar messaging based on leaked info..." More reference to "their messaging" with no direct connection to any actual messaging. Yet you think I am the crazy one.

Pedro, I don't know what else I can say to you. It feels like I'm talking to a schizophrenic with a gun pointed at me accusing me of something I'm not doing, it's disturbing. I hope you're not like this with people in real life. I'm just gonna stop talking to you.

Avatar image for Pedro
#30 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: Just avoid talking about phantom messaging. That's all. :)

Avatar image for rzxv04
#31 Edited by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@Telekill said:

I don't mind $450 for a PS5 that's fully PS4/PSVR backwards compatible with a 2TB HDD and does 4K with 30fps.

The games I enjoy don't require 60fps and frankly, I don't see much difference between 30 and 60fps on a TV. The only thing I see as a benefit for forced 60fps would be in VR and that should be upped to about 120fps to help avoid motion sickness. At that point I'm fine with 720p visuals to properly balance capabilities.

I won't be surprised if they sold the base models with only 1TB or 1.5 TB. 2 Would be nice though.

I do notice 60 FPS but 30 FPS has not exactly been a detriment to my gaming experience.

Hope there'd be a low resolution, unlocked, higher framerate mode for many next gen titles though so some of the people who prefer those has an extra mode. They'd still probably focus on the high res, 30 FPS.

@XVision84 said:

Why would they make a 1440p version when tv's are either 1080p or 4k?

I don't see why you'd need 2 different units at this stage in terms of power. A next gen console should ideally already do 4k 30fps. A more powerful console might push it to 4k 60 or have better effects but I can't see that being worth the extra manufacturing and development cost. The big selling point for the Pro versions this gen was the bump in resolution to match the rapidly increasing number of consumers buying 4ktv's.

I predict that there'll be 2 versions. One will be fully digital and cheaper, the other will be a standard console. With Game Pass being Microsoft's big push and digital sales increasing over time, I can see the value in a diskless console. It also serves the double purpose of phasing out physical media which is already happening all over the entertainment industry.

Just throwing it out there as I'm not sure which one they'd make or market for a $ 299 or 399 tier model. Either 1K or 2K or some checkerboarding/some new sampling or whatever. The bonus effect is a downsampled image but I'm not even sure if that's much better than certain AAs on top of 1080p.

Marketing might also be a factor since 1080p might sound nasty relative to 1440p cb/upscaled to 4K by the PS4 Pro.

Since you didn't specify, 4K native might give much less visual impact as opposed to using 4K checkeboarding (or some sort of) or whatever future they'd be thinking of. Instead of pouring a lot into resolution, developers might be able to do better everything else such as shaders, lighting, geometry, particles, gpu based physics etc.

DF

In Theory: Should Next-Gen Consoles Focus on 'True 4K' Rendering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWcRtzjyH-c&t=9s

Maybe a not so fair and extreme example would be Last of us PS3 in 4K vs Last of us 2 PS4 in a theoretical 1080p (don't know TLoU2's final retail resolution on base). I believe most people would be more in awe of TLoU2.

Still, I think they'd go for native 4K and 30 FPS mostly for marketing. Maybe still plenty of dynamic res games though.

With what you're thinking, does the digital only console have the same power as the other one?

Avatar image for michaelmikado
#32 Posted by michaelmikado (363 posts) -

PS5 low end specs will be 10.2 TFlop GPU, either 3.2 ghz 8 with SMT or 3.2 GHz 12 core SMT disabled for yields. Which ever is cheaper. 16GB GDDR6. 4GB DDR for OS.

Between 32-128 internal eMMc flash storage. No optical drive. External drives for HDD and Oprical available. 299-349.

Mid tier SKU has UBD drive and TB SSD. Plus the internal flash storage. 399-499.

That’s my wager

Avatar image for XVision84
#33 Posted by XVision84 (15969 posts) -

@rzxv04: I can see why developers might opt for checkerboarding instead of native 4k to use the power in other areas. I just don't think that it's going to happen, especially for marketing purposes (as you said). People expect native 4k, especially since Xbox One X flaunted it. 60 fps would definitely be nice but it would greatly affect the visual leap people expect from one gen to the next, and it's hard to sell the benefits of 60 fps without having people actually play the game.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but I really don't see the value of having two consoles of different power. It would unnecessarily complicate development and you'd really need to be able to sell the value of the higher priced console. Might be easier to just manufacture one model at the $399 price point which was very successful this gen.

Avatar image for raining51
#34 Edited by Raining51 (1012 posts) -

Yeah but I can see both equally really...

The $499 consoles on mass market ended up being ahead of it's time... $500 basically for a super machine ... now it's normal really Nintendo's console which is normally the cheapest is the most expensive yet $300

I don't think the ideas of options is going to go v over well I think basically it's extremely within range that this coule happen but also not..

I think the $200/$300 range will very gradually disappear honestly.

Also It think the Wii U was typically at least $250 so it really started there honestly... for Nintendo I mean....

So I don't think we'll see anymore $200 consoles... and once upon a time I might of said that's bad but now it's clear that the higher price/value option works best

That is to say $300 is more optional.. or ore likely... to become the norm and then a few will go $400/500.

I think Sony/MS/Nintendo should all aim for $300... and then if there are newcomers eh whether it's apple or google or amazon that will just be a whol new thing.

Avatar image for Martin_G_N
#35 Posted by Martin_G_N (1918 posts) -

The upgraded consoles has failed, they aren't really selling. So no. Most of the games at launch can easily be available on the older consoles, at least the PS4. The X1 may be too weak. And if services like PSNow gets popular enough and upgraded servers we will see next gen games there as well, accessible through the PS4. I don't see why they need to release a weaker PS5 when you already have the PS4, Pro, and PSNow. But of course, to get the best experience you need the PS5.

The costs of producing two consoles at launch is not worth it, and making the release version weaker so that they can have an upgraded version later is not really worth it either.

Avatar image for rzxv04
#36 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@rzxv04: I can see why developers might opt for checkerboarding instead of native 4k to use the power in other areas. I just don't think that it's going to happen, especially for marketing purposes (as you said). People expect native 4k, especially since Xbox One X flaunted it. 60 fps would definitely be nice but it would greatly affect the visual leap people expect from one gen to the next, and it's hard to sell the benefits of 60 fps without having people actually play the game.

Of course I could easily be wrong, but I really don't see the value of having two consoles of different power. It would unnecessarily complicate development and you'd really need to be able to sell the value of the higher priced console. Might be easier to just manufacture one model at the $399 price point which was very successful this gen.

Fair point.

299.. 499.. might as well sit in the middle.

I go back and forth with multiple skus. It's looks like it's gonna be the trend going forward and I don't think adding 4 more skus on top of 4 current skus + thounsands of combinations of pc hardware would be too much for devs. Still, with how some of the DF vids show, it looks like hitting the 30 FPS target is closer with the pro/x while it should've been perfectly stable 30 while the base units are even further away from true 30 fps rock solid.

@michaelmikado said:

PS5 low end specs will be 10.2 TFlop GPU, either 3.2 ghz 8 with SMT or 3.2 GHz 12 core SMT disabled for yields. Which ever is cheaper. 16GB GDDR6. 4GB DDR for OS.

Between 32-128 internal eMMc flash storage. No optical drive. External drives for HDD and Oprical available. 299-349.

Mid tier SKU has UBD drive and TB SSD. Plus the internal flash storage. 399-499.

That’s my wager

10-12 TF GPU

10-12 core weak zen cpus

probably with that ram.

64-128gb fast storage (ssd/nvme/etc.) built in or removable but used as cache.

1tb-2tb hdd.

yes optical drive on all units. if there were a no optical drive unit, it might not release at launch.

$ 499.

Could definitely be wrong though.