Do you respect the Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I liked the gamecube, it had some great games for it and pretty decent hardware. Topgames on the Cube, PS2 and Xbox were pretty much on par. Only reason I picked an xbox back then was because I made a list of (upcoming) titles that appealed to me and that list stopped after 12 games on the cube and went on for 2 pages on the xbox.

Now I'm not sure why but I simply don't respect the Wii as a console. Maybe it's the minigames, maybe it's the lemming nature that grows onto you after a while of having a superior console for at least one generation.

Give me some guidance.

NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NextGenNow
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts
I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!
Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
THey have my respect atm, but we'll see where they go with it, if the system doesnt get some more great games (there are only 2 atm, as far as im concerned SPM & Zelda), then they might lose me, however that said I've bought one and I'll be keeping it.  Since its worth it for me just to play Nintendo 1st party titles.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
I don't have any respect for Nintendo now whatsoever. Stabbing Sony in the back in front of the entire world was one thing, but now they had to produce this garbage just to make a quick buck. The Wii could possibly destroy the future of gaming. Thank the casuals.
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
Nintendo's sending the industry to hell with the Wii, how can I respect that?
HarpoonArtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HarpoonArtic
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
No, why would I support a crappy weak console with minigames? I can have the same ammount of fun on Miniclip than I can with the Wii. FACT.
JimmyT2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JimmyT2
Member since 2007 • 771 Posts
Not yet. At this point in time there is no reason to. If and when the Wii improves gaming I will respect it. The hardware is interesting but the software so far has been less than impressive and in some cases the new controls have got in the way of gameplay rather than enhanced it.
Ryeferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ryeferd
Member since 2006 • 5198 Posts
I lost my respect for Nintendo after so many years with nothing to play on my Gamecube. I really don't take the Wii too seriously, but I'm not one to bash a machine. People seem to like it, and that's fine with me. I'll just keep on enjoying my PS3, and 360.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts
             I would respect it alot more @ $149.99 MSRP ;)
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

Nintendo's sending the industry to hell with the Wii, how can I respect that?NobuoMusicMaker

rightly said

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

The developers were not ready for it (much like the ps3). We have gamecube games thrown on there with different controls , DS games thrown on there , ps2 ports , mini-games , and most of the originals like Red Steel and Excite Truck were poor or mediocre at best. The Wii has a long way to go (like all early consoles).

TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
No, why would I support a crappy weak console with minigames? I can have the same ammount of fun on Miniclip than I can with the Wii. FACT.HarpoonArtic
Why. Do. You. Keep. Posting?
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
It's certainly attracted alot more people to gaming, so that's good.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I totally respect the Wii. It took massive guts to release a system not graphically on par with its competitors. The market research they have done paid off. If you look at the technology involved in the wii remote its totally unlike anything the other 2 developed. They released the system with a game. It doesnt bust your wallet. Its 100% compatible with GC (only system that can say this) And its still hard find almost 7 months later. Nintendo had a choice: be pioneers in revolutionary controls or compete like the rest with advance graphics/processors. I respect any company that takes chances and a does good job at it as well.

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
I don't respect the 360/PS3 cos they are wannabe PCs and phail hard at it. At least the Wii is different.
NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NextGenNow

I don't respect the 360/PS3 cos they are wannabe PCs and phail hard at it. At least the Wii is different.Metroid_Time
It's awesome to know that there are people in this world who 100% have nothing at all slightly in common with me!

Edit: and I consider myself a healthy apex of rightness. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I don't respect... machines.
BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BLiTZv3
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
I do respect Wii.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Honestly, there aren't that many games that interest me; Zelda, MP3, Sadness, No More Heros, come to mind. But I DO still respect the Wii. Rather than follow crowd, it's trying something new and choosing it's own direction. That willingness to challenge convention as opposed to quiet conformity - succeed or fail - I feel is a quality to be admired.

And I made a thread about this, how impressive their sales numbers have been in their 1st 4 months. Though just to play devils advocate, initial excitement sales doesn't last, and isn't consistent over the long haul. None the less, even if Wii doesn't win this generation, it can't be denied that this console has turned Nintendo around from the dismal position they had with the Gamecube.

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts

If the graphics improve a lot then it will get my respect, but making a gamecube with a different controller just pisses me off and there getting away with it so far!!! If The graphics do improve where you can clearly see it's above anything gamecube could do then I will change my mind about it but so far it's rubbish

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts
I don't respect... machines.Jandurin
     Skynet has issued termination orders aimed at you - j/k lol ;)
GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts

Do i respect the Wii ?

Yes,yes I do.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Respect? Ummm...its a machine as long as it does what I tell it to do I have no problems with it.

Now dance for me Wii, Dance!

CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!NextGenNow

I don't have any respect for Nintendo now whatsoever. Stabbing Sony in the back in front of the entire world was one thing, but now they had to produce this garbage just to make a quick buck. The Wii could possibly destroy the future of gaming. Thank the casuals.Not-A-Stalker

Nintendo's sending the industry to hell with the Wii, how can I respect that?NobuoMusicMaker

No, why would I support a crappy weak console with minigames? I can have the same ammount of fun on Miniclip than I can with the Wii. FACT.HarpoonArtic

I lost my respect for Nintendo after so many years with nothing to play on my Gamecube. I really don't take the Wii too seriously, but I'm not one to bash a machine. People seem to like it, and that's fine with me. I'll just keep on enjoying my PS3, and 360.Ryeferd

*stands up out of computer chair*

*starts clapping*

BRAVO!!!!!  BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

That was truely beutiful :cry:

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I respect Nintendo for taking a risk with placing the new control scheme at the heart of the wii design. whether you like it or not it doesn't matter. you have to respect what they did and the huge success they are getting from it. i don't think i've ever seen a console embraced by nongamers, adults and mass media this much.
KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!NextGenNow

Jee you just totally shot yourself in the foot there, contradicting you r own statement. Genius.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I don't respect... machines.SecretPolice
     Skynet has issued termination orders aimed at you - j/k lol ;)

No problem.  I've got my own T-800.

SailorMars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SailorMars
Member since 2003 • 469 Posts
Yes, I respect and love Nintendo/Wii.
Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts

I respect Nintendo for taking a risk with placing the new control scheme at the hard of the wii design. whether you like it or not it doesn't matter. you have to respect what they did and the huge success they are getting from it. i don't think i've ever seen a console embraced by nongamers, adults and mass media this much. Ontain

I agree!

eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Let me put it this way. I respect the potentiality of the Wii, but I have yet to be impressed by it. Somebody do something with the motion sensing that actually impresses me. Replacing pushing a button with shaking a stick is not revolutionary.
NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NextGenNow

[QUOTE="NextGenNow"]I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!KingKoop

Jee you just totally shot yourself in the foot there, contradicting you r own statement. Genius.

No. You see there is a difference between HAVING motion sensing and relying on it to sell a console. The Wii does NOTHING except allow a person to play a game while flailing about. No serious gamer will ever put effort into this console because it lacks the REAL innovation. size of games, graphics of games, strategic use of motion sensing, etc etc...imagine a 200 hour long FF game in which you had to flail about in shoddy graphics....I'll shutter for you *shutters*
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ontain

Let me put it this way. I respect the potentiality of the Wii, but I have yet to be impressed by it. Somebody do something with the motion sensing that actually impresses me. Replacing pushing a button with shaking a stick is not revolutionary.eddy_of_york

so replacing 2d with 3d wasn't revolutionary either right?  

GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
I respect all gaming devices.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="KingKoop"]

[QUOTE="NextGenNow"]I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!NextGenNow

No. You see there is a difference between HAVING motion sensing and relying on it to sell a console. The Wii does NOTHING except allow a person to play a game while flailing about. No serious gamer will ever put effort into this console because it lacks the REAL innovation. size of games, graphics of games, strategic use of motion sensing, etc etc...imagine a 200 hour long FF game in which you had to flail about in shoddy graphics....I'll shutter for you *shutters*

innovation can come in any form, it does not have to be just the things you mentioned. theirs no such thing as "REAL innovation"

If something hasnt been done before, its innovative.

t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts

Respect, a machine. Well I pretty much know what this thread will turn into. Some are going to call the Wii a gimmick and say something like if the controller wasn't there it would be even more useless (duh, take away what makes it what it is and you get garbage). And while the Wiimote is a gimmick the PS3 controller isn't because it doesn't have as high motion sensing capability but is just a PS controller with motion sensing added (really, if one motion sensor is a gimmick so is the other).

Or, they'll right up not even give a reason and just say the Wii is useless garbage because they said so. But they are entitled to their own opinion I just thought I would predict what has likely already happened.

mijkil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mijkil
Member since 2004 • 546 Posts

I respect nintendos marketing department.

As for the console itself....  only nintendo fanboys could feel satisfied with a diet of impressive japanese sales figures and mediocre last gen titles titles.

(*i despise it to an extent that is neither rational or healthy.)

SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SpaceDragonMan
Member since 2007 • 1502 Posts
The wii is taking the industry in the wrong direction by only making casual games, so no I dont respect it
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
Nintendo are expanding the industry, Wii is a transition stage. Expect a better next-generation after Wii wins system wars.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ontain

The wii is taking the industry in the wrong direction by only making casual games, so no I dont respect itSpaceDragonMan

I disagree. in order to expand the shrinking market of the game industry (and without the wii it would have shrunk a lot) you have to covert the non gamers to gamers. just like we were converted. as the gen goes on you'll see many more core games for the wii. but the initial surge will be to hook the nongamer. it's a good plan. in fact they need to keep a few casual games (no i don't mean stuff like GTA) coming out so that the keep a steady flow of new ppl into the market. 

SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SpaceDragonMan
Member since 2007 • 1502 Posts

[QUOTE="SpaceDragonMan"]The wii is taking the industry in the wrong direction by only making casual games, so no I dont respect itOntain

I disagree. in order to expand the shrinking market of the game industry (and without the wii it would have shrunk a lot) you have to covert the non gamers to gamers. just like we were converted. as the gen goes on you'll see many more core games for the wii. but the initial surge will be to hook the nongamer. it's a good plan. in fact they need to keep a few casual games (no i don't mean stuff like GTA) coming out so that the keep a steady flow of new ppl into the market.

WTF are you talking about, Do you have a crystal ball? or are you professional market analyst? yeah I thought so, neither.

The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents, the Ps2 sold 120mil units and is still selling, so the casual audience is out there and we dont need the Wii to expand it any further.... 

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lilac_Benjie

WTF are you talking about, Do you have a crystal ball? or are you professional market analyst? yeah I thought so, neither.SpaceDragonMan

It's called Market Strategy. Nintendo have been quite clear.

The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents, the Ps2 sold 120mil units and is still selling, so the casual audience is out there and we dont need the Wii to expand it any further....SpaceDragonMan

Film Industry, Music Industry, Literature Industry > Videogame Industry.

Nintendo are on your side as a gamer. Accept them.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
[QUOTE="KingKoop"]

[QUOTE="NextGenNow"]I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!NextGenNow

You mean shudder, not shutter.

REAL INNOVATION? OK explain to me what real innnovation is then? Blu-ray? Six-axis? HDMI? Nintendo don't rely on motion sensing to sell their console, did Iwata tell you that? Who kows what their marketing strategies are? I don't care all I know is it's working.

If you don't wanna *flail* about for 200 hours in an RPG; DON'T BUY IT?!? Do you play 200 hours of RPG's straight by the way?

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
The wii is taking the industry in the wrong direction by only making casual games, so no I dont respect itSpaceDragonMan
maybe your the one that got it wrong. you do realize this is from the people who created the nintendo ds, right? if you look at the Ds games. the hardcore games basically out number the casual games. Nintendo is just making games on that console for every demographic, unlike the other 2 companies.

if u wanna dislike a company, dislike microsoft and sony for making expensive gaming machine, with expansive game prices. this is basically taking a step back in the industry rather than taking a step forward. people arent willing to spend large sums of money for a gaming experience. the wii is basically priced right for people who actually enjoy video games, and are willing to try something new and different compared to the other 2 consoles.

this move was for the better, since we have 2 of the same console and 1 thats different.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ontain
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="SpaceDragonMan"]The wii is taking the industry in the wrong direction by only making casual games, so no I dont respect itSpaceDragonMan

WTF are you talking about, Do you have a crystal ball? or are you professional market analyst? yeah I thought so, neither.

The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents, the Ps2 sold 120mil units and is still selling, so the casual audience is out there and we dont need the Wii to expand it any further....

look at the rate of sales of the ps3 and 360. see how they suck. neither the ps3 nor the 360 would have pushed the numbers that the ps2 did. they probably wouldn't have been able to do it combined. Do you really think you need a market analyst to see that? look at the japanese market before the DS. it was dying. that would have likely happened to the US as well. the market needed something new and fresh. Nintendo game ppl that. 

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lilac_Benjie

The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents SpaceDragonMan

Your an aegist bigot. I'm going to hit your weak spot for massive damage using logic. 

• Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) is 44. 
  • Peter Molyneux (Populous, Theme Park, Black & White) is 48.
  • Shigeru Miyamoto (The Legend of Zelda) is 55. 
  • Masato Kato (Ninja Gaiden, Chrono Trigger) is 44. 
  • Yoshinori Kitase (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XIII) is 41.
  • Takashi Tokita (Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger) is 43. 

What do you have against older generations working with games, boy?

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

I don't respect it because its not aimed at me. Its made for people who haven't played alot of games and they tried to make it simple for them to step in. I like complex games and the wii is seriously lacking (graphically and gameplay wise).

i don't respect them for doing this because i'd love a zelda/metroid game with visuals on par with 360/ps3 and now that will take several years, however long it takes to make their next hardware project. 

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ontain

[QUOTE="SpaceDragonMan"]The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents Lilac_Benjie

Your an aegist bigot. I'm going to hit your weak spot for massive damage using logic.

He probably didn't get the news that the average gamer is now about 30. 

NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NextGenNow
[QUOTE="NextGenNow"][QUOTE="KingKoop"]

[QUOTE="NextGenNow"]I only support techonology that innovates. IMO the Wii is a gimmick. Without motion sensing the Wii would phail....not even a debate about it. The PS3 while not utterly lacking motion sensing like 360 has enough to be called innovation but not gimmick...(ex: Resistance you can bring the map and stats up n the fly by tilting the controller left or right to an extreme worx perfect) While still giving you a higher standard in overall graphical quality and sound (7.1 > 360's 5.1) and a next gen format in HD with unmatched audio wOOt!!KingKoop

You mean shudder, not shutter.

REAL INNOVATION? OK explain to me what real innnovation is then? Blu-ray? Six-axis? HDMI? Nintendo don't rely on motion sensing to sell their console, did Iwata tell you that? Who kows what their marketing strategies are? I don't care all I know is it's working.

If you don't wanna *flail* about for 200 hours in an RPG; DON'T BUY IT?!? Do you play 200 hours of RPG's straight by the way?

No I meant Shutter and yes YES Nintendo relies 100 percent on motion sensing. If you honestly can say to yourself Wii would sell without it in its current state...you are frickin wrong. The Wii will fade away when prices drop and graphics age....people will laugh at the fact they wasted their money on the thing in 4 years. Wow...it must be fun to have started gaming last gen...ahh what good times eh?
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#49 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I don't have any respect for Nintendo now whatsoever. Stabbing Sony in the back in front of the entire world was one thing....Not-A-Stalker
holy get over it, that was like more than a decade ago. 
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lilac_Benjie
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]

[QUOTE="SpaceDragonMan"]The gaming industry was doing well enough without wii's fanbase of gaming grandparents Ontain

He probably didn't get the news that the average gamer is now about 30.

Him and people who share his opinions clearly want gaming to remain immature. It cannot remain immature forever and needs to grow up eventually. People do not grow out of film or music, why should people ever grow out of gaming?

I respect Nintendo for the Wii.Â