Do you remember the first time you started gaming?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TerraRyzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TerraRyzing
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

I sure do. It was back in 1993, I was three years old and soon to be four. I remember the first time I got my hands on a keyboard and played Doom baby. Boy, I was the coolest kid on the block. While you were playing the ultra kiddy Super Mario World, I was shooting aliens.

Continue to play your little kiddy games that involve you to think, solve puzzles and other elements. Me? I'll play a real man's game. The kind that puts a gun in my hand and puts an alien (or sometimes a human) in front of me and I just spray and pray.

Who else started off as a hardcore gamer?

[Edit]

This is a sarcastic post to all newcomers.

TerraRyzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TerraRyzing

Damn, nobody was hardcore when they first started?

Casuals..

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
yep, i cant remember fully, it was either the snes playing super mario bros, my cousins sega genisis playing sonic, or it was over at my friends house playing super mario 64, it was one of those three
Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
Are you a insecure about something because I cant remeber when mario was kiddy or those kinda games were?
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I started on Super Mario bros 3. I've been gaming longer than you, which means you're a casual and I'm hardcore.

I would have started at 1, but I was born in 1985. :P

sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 sdelaney86
Member since 2005 • 4190 Posts

It was 1991, I was 5, my dad bought an NES.

Good times playing Mario and Tetris.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
nope.. that's how old i am.. can't even remember.
club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
it was when I got a super nintendo, it was awesome, I could spend the whole day playing the same levels for super mario world and never get bored.... good days...
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
First game was Megaman X, so yea about as long as you have been.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Started with Mario, but wasn't crazy about the plummer.

Then started getting into gaming with Sonic the Hedgehog.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

I was 7 and my brother bought Total Annihilation and I played the hell out of it until he brought home Half-Life.

I didn't play a Mario or Zelda game until I got my DS *shame*

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
Well we can all see you certainly act like a real man. I'm happy for you and your manhood.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Super Mario All Stars Bundle ... FTW!

Or windows 95 PC ... I cant remember which came first ... think it was the SNES.

TerraRyzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerraRyzing

So, it's okay for you guys to have started off playing Super Mario Bros and other games which would be labeled kiddy now, but when it comes to Wii owners they are not allowed to?

Now, for the people who have targeted Wii owners and bashed them for being casual and playing kiddy games, please elaborate.

I didn't want to post this so early. But it seems nobody has caught the sarcasm so I had no choice.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DragonfireXZ95

So, it's okay for you guys to have started off playing Super Mario Bros and other games which would be labeled kiddy now, but when it comes to Wii owners they are not allowed to?

Now, for the people who have targeted Wii owners and bashed them for being casual and playing kiddy games, please elaborate.

I didn't want to post this so early. But it seems nobody has caught the sarcasm so I had no choice.

TerraRyzing

Lol, I figured you were being sarcastic. I love Nintendo. Always have.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

TerraRyzing

Well theoretically most people who played Super Mario would of been young.

But we dont all fall under your generilization ... I own a PC/360/Wii and own Super Mario Galaxy ... heck I ven enjoyed Wario Ware ... takes "Proper Gaming Enthusiasts" to admit things like this.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95

Does anyone remember playing Commander Keen? Man those games were awesome.

After those of course I moved onto Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, and loved those.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

TerraRyzing

Too be honest, I am practically ashamed of the fact that I did not play a Mario or Zelda game until a month ago. Both New Super Mario Brothers and Phantom Hourglass are amazing games, but, then again, so were the games I grew up on (Half-Life, Total Annihilation, Warcraft 3, Deus Ex, and maybe a bit of Wing Commander before anything else...).

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
When I was 9 years old in 1992, I remember playing Zelda 2, I loved it. I then got introduced to PC gaming, I loved doom and Wolfenstein, so PC was my main gaming platform. A year later I found The Elder Scrolls: Arena. I loved it so decided to buy more RPG's.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

TerraRyzing

kiddy is such a retarded term... they are stylised graphics.

Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts
I can't remember clearly, but it was when I was around the ages of 3-5. I think my first game was Super Mario Bros. My dad got me into gaming. =)
TerraRyzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TerraRyzing
[QUOTE="TerraRyzing"]

Meu2k7

Well theoretically most people who played Super Mario would of been young.

But we dont all fall under your generilization ... I own a PC/360/Wii and own Super Mario Galaxy ... heck I ven enjoyed Wario Ware ... takes "Proper Gaming Enthusiasts" to admit things like this.

Yeah I know, but I just read a thread that inspired me to post this. People act as if they started off as hardcore, whatever defines a hardcore gamer. I figured it was because someone played shooting games, if a game doesn't involve shooting it's "kiddy" in the gaming community. I've heard it over XBL, PSN, saw it on other forums and even here on System Wars.

My first thought would've been to target graphics but I realize it's not as big as shooting games. If Super Mario Galaxy had Ratchet and Clank level graphics, it still would've been called kiddy, thats why I went with shooters for my sarcastic post.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

my first game: super star wars episode V

i loved everything about that game, and its probably the reason im such a star wars fan today

my bro and his friends were playing it, and i just sat there bored out of my mind (i forget how old i was, though i imagine it was very young). as soon as they all left i decided to see what was so great about this super nintendo thing.

wow! it was amazing. probably the best day of my young life

i cant remember anything else about my life from when i was that young. thats the only memory i still fondly remember like it was yesterday

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Intellivision was the first system i ever played

SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
I was playing Mario/Duckhunt ever since I was too young to remember that I got it.
TerraRyzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerraRyzing
[QUOTE="TerraRyzing"]

thepwninator

Too be honest, I am practically ashamed of the fact that I did not play a Mario or Zelda game until a month ago. Both New Super Mario Brothers and Phantom Hourglass are amazing games, but, then again, so were the games I grew up on (Half-Life, Total Annihilation, Warcraft 3, Deus Ex, and maybe a bit of Wing Commander before anything else...).

Phantom Hourglass had to be my favorite game in 2007, truly amazing. I usually don't play handheld games, but I was drawn to PH.

You really did miss out on a lot of other great Zelda games though. Zelda and Zelda II are probably my favorite games, I just could never beat them cause I was too young. Anyone else have that problem? I didn't really understand what I was doing until later in life, still never beat them though because I moved onto other games. I'm hoping they release them on the VC if they haven't already.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I sure do. It was back in 1993, I was three years old and soon to be four. I remember the first time I got my hands on a keyboard and played Doom baby. Boy, I was the coolest kid on the block. While you were playing the ultra kiddy Super Mario World, I was shooting aliens.

Continue to play your little kiddy games that involve you to think, solve puzzles and other elements. Me? I'll play a real man's game. The kind that puts a gun in my hand and puts an alien (or sometimes a human) in front of me and I just spray and pray.

Who else started off as a hardcore gamer?

TerraRyzing

CHILD!

I was 4 when I first picked up the controller to my sister's colecovision. I played smurfs and loved it. See, back then there were no snobish hardcore gamers on all fours at thier own sacs because we played everything we could get our hands on.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
Yeah i remeber playing supermario and duck hunt. My counsin would play zelda a lot and i thought it was cool but it was to complex for me. (I was like 3)
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

I remember playing two games that got me hooked on gaming.

The first was Dune II, which got me hooked on PC games.

The second was Lufia, a JRPG for the SNES, which hooked me on console games.

Only the former hook actually lasted. I ended up becoming a hardcore RTS player until college.

OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
When I was 2 I played Super Mario World on my SNES, ~3 years later got a high spec PC (for it's time) windows 95 :shock: it came with a ton of games; running over pedestrians in carmageddon.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

I started on Super Mario bros 3. I've been gaming longer than you, which means you're a casual and I'm hardcore.

DragonfireXZ95

oh yeah.... I started with Pacman, so I'm more hardcore than you..... ...

... ... lol....... nah nha nah nah

:|

tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

Does anyone remember playing Commander Keen? Man those games were awesome.

After those of course I moved onto Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, and loved those.

DragonfireXZ95

I loved Commander Keen! For a while there Apogee games ruled the PC... I loved their side-scrollers. I would excitedly download any Apogee shareware that I could get my hands on (and man that took a long time at 2400 baud!). Of course they published Wolfenstein 3D and Doom as well.

My first gaming experience was Pong... Then defender and Pacman on my Atari 800. I was pretty much all computers until my TG16. (Atari ST and Commodore Amiga in between).
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
i was 3 playing some space game on atari.
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts

Super Mario wow that felt really great I was really immeresed with the game.

Battle City was also great multiplayer game really fun at that time...

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

FamiBox

oh yeah.... I started with Pacman, so I'm more hardcore than you..... ...

... ... lol....... nah nha nah nah

:|

I am more Hardcore than you I started playing Tennis for Two at the age of 30....

/jk

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
It was 1996, right after my familyI moved my mom bought a neighbor's SNES. First game I ever played was Super Mario World.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
My brother was playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES. He was in the first dungeon in the dark world (with the scorpion boss). He was about to die in the fireball maze and had to pause his game and help my mom with something. I picked up the controller and had no clue what I was doing (I was little) so I walked right into a fireball and died.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

First game was Spy Hunter on the Commodore C64, back in good old 1984. Games came on tape in those days. I was only 6, ahh happy times. :)

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Damn, nobody was hardcore when they first started?

Casuals..

TerraRyzing
Me I started on PC... Doom, Duke ... etc...

then consoles with PC playing less of a role

I was about 5
darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

Ignoring the sarcasm, I started at age 8-9 with Pokemon Blue on GBC. Consoles, N64 with Mario 64 in 1998.

Wow it will be 10 years of console gaming this year on my birthday!

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts
1998. I was 6 and I got a PS1. (But I wanted an N64 :( )
Arhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Arhazard
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts
I started gaming with Apogee and Epic Megagames, I used to spend an ungodly amount of hours playing Monster Bash, Jazz Jackrabbit (my favorite by far), Duke Nukem 2, Keen and a few others and always dreaming about getting the full versions of those games. There was also Hexen and Heretic but I quickly lost my innocence and found games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Rise of the Triad.

Then Warcraft 2 came along and everything else was quickly forgotten. Funnily enough my first console was the N64, I got it when I was around 14 with Zelda, Mario Kart and Goldeneye. I will still never forget that awesome feeling of playing through Zelda the first time.

I'm still a PC gamer at heart, though, but I still miss the old days with DOS and the 486 where graphics and performance didn't matter (probably because I was too young to care).

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

My older brother started me off with Daggerfall and Wolfenstein 3D.

Am I hardcore now?

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Started at around age 3. NES was my introducion to VGs.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I started with the commodore 64, which played little crappy games. I could even do some programming, and I was like 5 or 6 or something. Then my parents got us a NES and just WOW.

Back then it was all backwards. PC was the weakling system and the console was the hardware powerhouse

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts
Yea! I got a Sega Dreamcast for Christmas and it was the best. The first games I got for it were Sonic Adventure and Tokyo Xtreme Racer.
Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts
yup, I was 4, and my dad bought me a SNES and the first game I played was either donkey kong country or super mario world, can't remember, but I remember saying WTF is this :lol:
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Parents got me a NES when I was 2. I played that thing like a maniac. A few years later got into PCs and started gaming on them. First PC games I played hardcore were Sopwith and Bricks. Back then I had to boot the PC with a 5.25" floppy and run the game from another floppy since it didn't have a hardrive. Eventually got a PS1 and have continued with the PC / Sony setup since then.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

My older brother started me off with Daggerfall and Wolfenstein 3D.

Am I hardcore now?

t3hTwinky

Daggerfall? Psshh, that means you started after 1996. Ye're a lightweight, laddie.

ilovesandrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ilovesandrine
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts
1991 i was 5 and the game was smb 3 got a snes when i was 6 i think lol . been play games ever since and in 4 week i will be 21 man game's have change lol