Do you prefer high end graphics or indie/hybrid graphics?

• 57 results
N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By N64DD

Poll Do you prefer high end graphics or indie/hybrid graphics? (75 votes)

High end graphics, give me horizon zero dawn, or metro on pc! 48%
indie/hybrid-Celeste, Hollow Knight, octopaths modern but old graphics 20%
other explain 32%

After playing octopath and hyper light drifter, i'm starting to love the old graphics.

Horizon Zero Dawn on an OLED tv with HDR looks absurd though.

• 
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hard Reset is an indie game (if not anymore, it was). I'll just say, I like decent graphics. It doesn't have to be the absolute cutting edge. But, something decent enough. I wouldn't go any lower than stock Fallout: New Vegas graphics.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

I personally love them both, when I play a game like horizon zero dawn, sometimes I just stop to marvel at how amazing games can look nowadays, but when I play a game like bloodstained: curse of the moon, I get a warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia as I navigate through these glorious 8-bit pixelated levels.

I am very glad they both exist, and frequently switch back and forth between indie/retro and modern games.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

It depends on my mood. I enjoy both high end and retro/indie graphics greatly.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@quadknight said:

I think they have their application. 8 bit or 16 graphics i don't think would fair well in VR.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Don't care. Artistry is more important to me and, you know, if the game is fun

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@n64dd said:
@quadknight said:

I think they have their application. 8 bit or 16 graphics i don't think would fair well in VR.

You're right but I think some VR games look good when they go do a retro look though.

Loading Video...

I still like my retro games hence why I’ve never sold any of my consoles from when I was a kid. I lost my 8bit and 16bit consoles when I was moving and it still saddens me. Nowadays I play most of my retro games though emulation and collections.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#7 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Depends on the game. I enjoy anything from games that look purposely retro to 4K awesomeness that make my gaming PC sweat.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I am way more into the indie or hand drawn look in games.

Games like Tree of Savior/Project Octopath Traveler/Ori and the Blind Forest really do it for me visually.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD
@mojito1988 said:

I am way more into the indie or hand drawn look in games.

Games like Tree of Savior/Project Octopath Traveler/Ori and the Blind Forest really do it for me visually.

Same here. Art styles are starting to become more of my favorite.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

I play whatever I see fit and if it looks fun, that's all that matters.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I guess it depends on the game. While I do enjoy some of those games with the hybrid classic look like Octopath Traveller I would say that in general I prefer the modern graphics games as I definitely play more of those.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N64DD
@Archangel3371 said:

I guess it depends on the game. While I do enjoy some of those games with the hybrid classic look like Octopath Traveller I would say that in general I prefer the modern graphics games as I definitely play more of those.

LOL you have A LOT of hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What would you rate it out of 10?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:

I play whatever I see fit and if it looks fun, that's all that matters.

Shit the world is coming to an end because I agree with this ^ guy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

@n64dd: Yeah I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for a fair amount of time and there’s still a lot of things to do in it. I’d give it like an 8.5 out of 10. Looking forward to the new dlc coming out for it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I love both, but no matter if its high end or 8 bit graphics the art style has to be good or it just ruins it for me.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Meh.. I just like fun games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I like whatever works for the developer, whatever allows them to convey the game world or appearance they're going for.

To me it's not so much about what's better, it's about appreciating their differences. It's like oil paintings? Or watercolor? Or charcoal? Idunno whatever works, man, I'm not here to judge.

With that said, I find "retro" visuals somewhat endearing and it depends on the game, too; I can't imagine Halcyon 6 done in a cutting-edge game engine, or Factorio, or Hyper Light Drifter. Some of the best shooters are cel-shaded and not really going for that high-definition look (Borderlands, XIII, etc)

I do find myself awed by beautiful reconstructed game worlds that look realistic, however. The first time I stepped into Crysis, or when I got the right combination of mods for Skyrim, or that fleeting moment where Kingdom Come ran well and looked photorealistic enough to trick my eyes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Indie graphics can easily match AAA games these days:

Heck, even a game like Metro: Exodus is not made on an ultra large budget like ... Destiny or COD. Which look horrible in comparison.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

Indeed Metro games are made on a fraction of a budget compared to other AAA games and still technically ahead of most of them. The only thing 4A games lack in in facial animation etc. because they don't have access to motion capture/performance capture companies but in everything else they slaughter other devs based solely on their passion.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#20 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

For me, the biggest thing is that the game runs well. I like the high end graphics, but I can also appreciate lesser graphics with good art direction and immersion.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Either is fine depending on what the game is set out to do. I do like games that push hardware though.

"Indie" isn't really a graphics style though.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

the more i think about it the more i realise i dont really think about it much. i like that there is variety in the visual make up of games.

i dont disregard games just because they dont push a high end PC to the limit. at the same time i wouldnt buy a game just because it uses pixel art.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I love both, but if i had to pick just one, then easily indie multiple visual styles. I really love pixelart and i'm always open for different and unique visual directions.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Not a fan of pixel art. It looks unappealing to me. And it's not even authentic, but is fake-retro, based on what old games look like on modern emulators, instead of what they actually looked like on old CRT televisions, which smoothed-out the pixels. The authentic retro CRT look is more appealing to me, yet most "retro" themed games often go with the inauthentic pixel-art look instead of an authentic CRT look.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto

I'm also the type who does not believe a game is art just because it's 2D/pixels. Most of the time, I think they're just cartoony graphics. ;) Art in games can occur in games with cutting-edge graphics as well.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

It's entirely game dependant, not all games need to have cutting edge graphics to be good and not all games with cutting edge graphics are good. In general, I try not to judge a book by its' cover.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I like old, but not SNES type games.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

When a new console comes out it is always the high end realistic games that impress the most.

A game with a unique art style usually ages better.

I went with high end in the poll because it is the reason to keep upgrading.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

High end for games that cant be the same without good graphics and this is a fine example to all the "graphics dont matter" peeps of this board ( which in majority are sheep for a reason and this is something started to be mentioned with Wii because before Wii even sheep where in graphics big time but anyways ).

Check Mortal kombat potato mode for example. Now imagine this mode for games like BOTW, RE7, Witcher 3, GoW, UC4 etc ... nah, games wouldnt be the same if they would look like that. Or even worse imagine those with PS1 graphics ....Same games, different experience because of graphics alone.

On the other hand indie like games are fine for what they offer. Some of my best games the last 2 generations are indie like games. They can work with simple 2D sprite based graphics. But that wont change the fact that graphics do matter, with one way or another.

We need gaming to go forward and one day we reach realistic 3D graphics not to go back to early 90s

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

I prefer very high budget graphics. In fact, I'd like to see a cel shaded high budget game with amazing 3d models and art.

I'd prefer a more cohesive cel shaded look than what they're doing with the latest DQ and God Eater with those non cel-shaded backgrounds.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Depends entirely on the game. I'll always prefer AAA budget graphics, but i'll never be disinterested in a game due to graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

High end I honestly just can't get immersed in indies games and I don't find their gameplay fun. But I still can go back to old games of the 2000's like Max Payne, Half Life 2, RE4, Condemned and F.E.A.R. ect.. and enjoy them alot .

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

I'm all for high-end games; maxing everything I can throw on my PC but I appreciate art. I love how Cuphead and Octopath Traveler look for example.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I'm a mix between the two. Sure, fancy graphics look great, but older graphics can be just as fun as well as cheaper. Guess that's why I love playing the older consoles so much.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AzatiS
@realkynerd said:

As long as the game is fun. It's going to be fun regardless of the graphics.

Pac-Man or Final Fantasy both great and fun games. for example.

I agree but on the other hand there are experiences that work with graphics. Resident Evil 7 for example. Can you imagine this game be any good with PS1 graphics ? So imo not all games can be fun regardless of graphics. Some are relating the core experience on graphics. Dead Space, Uncharted, RE7 to name a few.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AzatiS
@realkynerd said:
@AzatiS said:
@realkynerd said:

I agree but on the other hand there are experiences that work with graphics. Resident Evil 7 for example. Can you imagine this game be any good with PS1 graphics ? So imo not all games can be fun regardless of graphics. Some are relating the core experience on graphics. Dead Space, Uncharted, RE7 to name a few.

I haven't played a Resident Evil game in years so I have no idea. Resident Evil 1 and 2 was pretty good on PS1 though, so that generation of Resident was fun.

Yeah, i remember watching a RE1 preview on Gamepro and i was all over it. Bought it day 1, had a blast and was my favorite game of that year by far. For its era was great but for todays standards, i dont know those graphics could work anymore on this specific genre. Resident evil 2 remake though, oh boy, will make alot of people appreciate what graphics can really do in gaming. Graphics do matter alot in the end for many games out there, youll see.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

High End AAA Graphics are the best.

I can’t stand indie games and retro graphics. I played them to death in the 90’s and don’t want to go back.

However, I make some exceptions lile Sonic Mania and Chrono Trigger.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AzatiS
@realkynerd said:
@AzatiS said:

Yeah, i remember watching a RE1 preview on Gamepro and i was all over it. Bought it day 1, had a blast and was my favorite game of that year by far. For its era was great but for todays standards, i dont know those graphics could work anymore on this specific genre. Resident evil 2 remake though, oh boy, will make alot of people appreciate what graphics can really do in gaming. Graphics do matter alot in the end for many games out there, youll see.

The PS1 era of games or that era of "3D games" doesn't really hold up as well as sprites do, so I'll give you that. Take a game like Castlevania Symphony of the Night. That game is still amazing to look at to this day, but it's not full 3D.

My point is, just because the water starts looking better in a game doesn't automatically mean its a better game. I'm sure the developers of RE had all kinda of struggles programming controls for the PS1 back in the day. Analog movement vastly improved the Resident Evil games over the years that's for sure. Movement in Mario 64 was fantastic compared to anything out on the PS1 at the time simply because they had analog movement. (Are there terrible movement games on N64, yes)

Sigh, I remember GamePro such a great magazine.

Yeah i agree on that one. Another of my old time favorites, Symphony of the night and SM64. Imo the golden age of gaming, that transition from 2D to 3D was the biggest gameplay revolution since like forever, and we might not see anything like that ever again.

Gamepro yeah, haha funny memories. Still remember the preview of Resident Evil, it had GREEN as blood in the pictures and i was "wtf, why ? Oh well ". Then when i played the game blood was red and i was like " wow, its red. awesome !! " with excitement. So many way different and new experiences back then, one after the other. Missed those days, games were feeling so fresh :)

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Both. Never stopped liking 2D or hand drawn art games. I actually wish they still made more of them that weren't just limited to indie games. That being said, I think the 8 bit and 16 bit retro graphics are actually overdone. I'm not talking "retro", but rather just more 2D games in general - preferably ones with modern animations rather than limited to 16 bit or 32 bit style.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I still play old 2D graphics games such as Red Alert 2, Grim Fandango, and Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far. But, I've had no interest in the more recent games with pastel-looking graphics (both 2D and 3D).

One of my all-time favorite games (Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far).

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N64DD
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I still play old 2D graphics games such as Red Alert 2, Grim Fandango, and Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far. But, I've had no interest in the more recent games with pastel-looking graphics (both 2D and 3D).

One of my all-time favorite games (Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far).

Never heard of it. What is it?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@n64dd said:

Never heard of it. What is it?

Real-time tactical war game.

Loading Video...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

For story oriented games, I prefer great graphics. For more arcade or quick fun games, I don't really care. I still love classic games going all the way back to the NES as well so...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@AzatiS said:
@realkynerd said:
@AzatiS said:
@realkynerd said:

I haven't played a Resident Evil game in years so I have no idea. Resident Evil 1 and 2 was pretty good on PS1 though, so that generation of Resident was fun.

Shinji Mikami said that, if the 3D technology was more powerful back then, RE1 would've turned out to be a very different game. His original prototype design for RE1 was strikingly similar to RE7: first-person, fully 3D, psychological horror. But because the PS1 hardware was too weak, he decided to go with pre-rendered backdrops, fixed camera angles, and tank controls.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Hard to say, love both. I think I play more games with retro graphics right now though.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AzatiS
@Jag85 said:
@AzatiS said:
@realkynerd said:
@AzatiS said:

Shinji Mikami said that, if the 3D technology was more powerful back then, RE1 would've turned out to be a very different game. His original prototype design for RE1 was strikingly similar to RE7: first-person, fully 3D, psychological horror. But because the PS1 hardware was too weak, he decided to go with pre-rendered backdrops, fixed camera angles, and tank controls.

Exactly. RE was aiming for first person all along. They tried first person with a RE side game, dont remember which i did own it for a while but was ... bad.