Do you prefer female protagonists in video games?

• 65 results
#1 Posted by carljohnsonCJ (505 posts) -

Yes i do. I don't gawk at pixel boobs or ass but enjoy how female protagonists as Lara or other ladies fight against all odds to do the right thing in this mean world.I'm not a feminist or a white knight but love to see female protagonists fighting surviving as any male video game protagonists.All my rpg created chars are females and would prefer more female protagonists in video games.

wbu?

well?

#2 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31459 posts) -

Hawt

#3 Edited by madrocketeer (6634 posts) -

Kind of. When gaming, I subscribe to the "be badass, look badass" philosophy. So yeah, I do gravitate towards characters that fit that bill, and love to customize my character when I get the chance.

But at the end of the day, I don't really care.

#4 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6852 posts) -

I like a well written character regardless of gender.

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

Depends on the character than the gender.

Old Lara Croft a boss, basically a mix of Indiana Jones and Bond., modern Lara Croft a whiny joyless butt-wipe.

#6 Posted by Ant_17 (12739 posts) -

Sure.

#7 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

I think so on balance.

#8 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10300 posts) -

I prefer Male protagonist. because im a guy so i want to play as guy so i can simulate that character as me.

#9 Posted by jcrame10 (5151 posts) -

I prefer quality writing and interesting characters over gender preference

#10 Posted by R-Gamer (447 posts) -

No, I don't prefer female heroes as my action stars. Never have. I love women just not as my action heroes.

#11 Posted by DaVillain- (37555 posts) -

Don't really care. Just give me good gameplay, single player experience and that's all I ask.

#12 Edited by Fedor (5271 posts) -

Only a sexist prefers one gender over the other. I'm too woke to be sexist.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

I prefer Male protagonist. because im a guy so i want to play as guy so i can simulate that character as me.

Agreed.

#14 Posted by DoomNukem3D (370 posts) -

I prefer them to be genderfluid ofcourse.

#15 Posted by Pedro (35472 posts) -

No preference. I leave the gawking at poly females to the basement dwellers.😂

#16 Posted by HEATHEN75 (782 posts) -

Doesn't matter. All that matters is if I enjoy the game itself.

#17 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10399 posts) -

I don't care what gender / species / race / whatever my character has if it is a game with a fix character. If I can create one myself, I usually go a route that looks the most original. So I usually play non-humans or underrepreesented types (like I played a small fat Catgirl in PSU iirc).

I do however care about how the character is written. If he is bland or unsympathic to me, I don't like playing him.

#18 Posted by Fuhrer_D (916 posts) -

Makes no real deference, unless there is a love interest angle; if so, I like wont play a game as a lady.

If I can make my own character, and its third person perspective, I'll likely make a female character (not really interested in spending hundreds of hours looking at fake male butt); unless it has a good create a character system, then I will make myself (I'm usually spot on). For first person shooters, it then depends on the voice acting.

#19 Posted by enzyme36 (4260 posts) -

Irrelvant

#20 Posted by AdobeArtist (25163 posts) -

In pre-assigned stories it's fine either way. I'm just as good playing Geralt and Sam Fisher as I am playing Lara Croft and Jill Valentine.

For games of flexible player experience that offer the option, I typically choose the female option.

#21 Posted by ProtossRushX (5635 posts) -

NO I don't I prefer being a male

Bloodstained should have had a male character or a choice for one.

#22 Posted by Horgen (120916 posts) -

Male superiority of course. Duh.

#23 Edited by KungfuKitten (26743 posts) -

Female because I always felt like they were cooler or the underdog and easier to identify with. But ever since there's this push against boys I'm starting to play more male protagonists and it actually feels pretty good too.

#24 Posted by Epak_ (10695 posts) -

No, but I don't mind a female protagonist if the game is good.

#25 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (196 posts) -

Yeah, I do. The only time I get upset about it though is when a game that previous had a choice to play as a girl or a guy suddenly eliminates that choice.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#26 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5747 posts) -

Sure do.

#27 Posted by lundy86_4 (53643 posts) -

Either/or. Not a big deal. The choice has to make sense, unless the story can be easily applicable to both a la Mass Effect.

#28 Posted by NoodleFighter (10461 posts) -

Don't really care but if I have the choice I prefer male. I care more for character though.

#29 Posted by Macutchi (6855 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

i heard id gave doom slayer a micro penis

#30 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

@ghosts4ever:

🤣

🤘

#31 Posted by VagrantSnow (365 posts) -

Makes no difference to me but if a game has a character creator I usually create a female character to make it look like myself.

#32 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

For stories where the character must be one sex or the other, I'm comfortable. Otherwise, usually female. Not that you can tell with how much armor I bury some of them under.

#33 Posted by Speeny (1883 posts) -

Yes & no. It really depends on the game for me. I can't think of an example right now though.

#34 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1312 posts) -

We all know women are weaker physically, so no.

/s

#35 Posted by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@carljohnsoncj: I prefer female protagonists due to eye candy nature, but proportions has to be natural. I usually play both M/F depending on the game.

#36 Posted by SaltSlasher (1241 posts) -

In many cases, yes I do.

In first person, depending on game, its me pretending to be in the role, I grew up on Wolf/Doom so associate that type of game as me being a man. While 3rd person I love playing women, cause I'm not the woman, I'm playing a woman, and grew up on Tomb Raider, so just my preference.

Of course, there are many FPS I liked the female character more. Like when I played as Emily in Dishonored 2 but that was more cause I already played as Corvo in first one, but also cause like in Prey, I just felt the story was more suited for a female. Like Alien Isolation I'm glad I played a girl, and had the option for a man been available I wouldn't have taken it. In cases like AC Origins, I would have preferred to play as the woman, so glad Odyssey had that.

#37 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

Why have a female protagonist when you can have a female antagonist that wants to go to bed with you?

Got to agree with Ghost on this one.

#38 Posted by SOedipus (11549 posts) -

No.

#39 Posted by dimebag667 (1266 posts) -

@Gamerno6666: same

#40 Edited by AJStyles (1024 posts) -

Only if they are hot and show some skin.

I also prefer my female lead video games to be in 3rd person so I can stare at their butts when walking.

#41 Posted by Howmakewood (5952 posts) -

Old Lara was twice the man Noctis is

#42 Posted by Chutebox (44703 posts) -

I don't care. I just hate when they create female characters to be males with a different skin

#43 Edited by PernicioEnigma (6095 posts) -

Not really. It's not a big deal, but female voices can be pretty irritating. The female voice overs in Insurgency: Sandstorm annoy the hell out of me.

I do like playing as a female in some games though, especially RPGs where seduction is a mechanic, like in Vampire TM: Bloodlines.

#44 Posted by Raining51 (1144 posts) -

It depends... that's honestly how I would put it.

I don't think I have a stock preference.

#45 Edited by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

I'm cool with it. I generally like male protagonist more because they tend to be more badass imo, and because I'ma dude. but, I do not a mind a good badass female protagonist. Plus, they can be fun to look at, but that's not that important to me.

I do, however, hate it when it's obvious a developer is making a female protagonist to suite the whole SJW agenda.

#46 Posted by freedom01 (3416 posts) -

Im fine with either, but when there are options on choosing which to play, I'll choose with a male protagonist

#47 Posted by onesiphorus (2934 posts) -

I often do not as I a male, I cannot relate to being a female protagonist. If a game has a female protagonist, I hope that she is likelable just like the males protagonists.

#48 Posted by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

@onesiphorus said:

I often do not as I a male, I cannot relate to being a female protagonist. If a game has a female protagonist, I hope that she is likelable just like the males protagonists.

Why is this in System Wars?

#49 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Only if it's, Tomb Raider. :P

#50 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@thatdbfan said:

I'm cool with it. I generally like male protagonist more because they tend to be more badass imo, and because I'ma dude. but, I do not a mind a good badass female protagonist. Plus, they can be fun to look at, but that's not that important to me.

I do, however, hate it when it's obvious a developer is making a female protagonist to suite the whole SJW agenda.

Many east Asian MMOs has excellent female 3D models including chest physics and that's without being SJW.

Mass Effect Andromeda's female character models are crap.