Do you prefer backwards compatibility, remaster, or remake of your favorite games?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you prefer backwards compatibility, remaster, or remake of your favorite games? (51 votes)

Backwards compatibility - just let me play it! 51%
Remaster - make it nice and shiny! 12%
Remake - do it over! 37%

With many of our favorite old games becoming candidates for remaster, remake, or BC, one must one wonder 🤔- what is your preference, SW? Do you just want to be able to play it on a new system? Having it updated with more current resolution and FPS? Or have a new take on it?

• 
Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

Remake, but only if the game is really old.

Otherwise i dont need anything other than the original.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

With Xbox BC with improvements are free.

If Remakes were free then and only then would I prefer remakes. Holding my breath starting in 3 , 2 , 1. lol :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Depends. Mostly leaning on Backwards Compatibility. But by god, some older games REALLY need a remake.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Backwards compatibility 100%.

BC is essential, because not every game will get a remake or remaster. Remakes and remasters should be nice luxuries, not a way for publishers to sell solutions to problems they and the console manufacturers caused.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

For the most part BC - I already paid for it, and often my nostalgia is tied to its original look and design anyway.

Plus, often I can update it in ways I would like with mods anyway.

However, there are some games this doesn't hold for - especially awkward early 3d games that often have poor controls, poor mod support, and aged poorly visually. Those are definitely good remaster or remake fodder most of the time

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

PS1 games make me sick. I can't do it anymore. I rather play a snes game. 2d aged better than the early 3d games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Trying to think of remakes consider better than the originals, it's a thin list.

Remasters it is then. Nightdive Studios come to mind. Do an excellent job updating the visuals without fucking up the art-direction, don't try to charge you through the nose and also tweak poor gameplay aspects.

Loading Video...

^ System Shock and Shadow Man being some of their best work thus far

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Full on 100% Backward compatibility. Every game, not just hand selected popular titles- I want it all. Remakes are cool if the game is old enough to justify it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

All the above.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Backwards compatibility. Not all games get the fortune of getting a remaster and/or remake and if they do they’re not always guaranteed to get a quality remaster and/or remake.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I play too many old games to not pick BC; if computers were restrictively generational, I wouldn't be playing about 60% of the games I currently do.

After that I'd say remake; I just appreciate them more because I don't need remasters. I got a PC with near-infinite BC and at times mod support to make things look good and run better. Frame-for-frame or interpretive, I don't really care, I just like seeing old games brought to new, good-looking game engines, sometimes with a unique interpretation; Black Mesa isn't just one of the better remakes around, it puts a unique spin on Half-Life to the point it has been one of the better games in recent history.

I don't like remasters. They're cash grabs and they only exist because console manufacturers are too lazy or inept to do BC properly on console. I already bought the game once, your remaster isn't that good....piss off.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

PC does not need permissions for BC... so ill go with remake over remaster. Its always good to see a different take on the source material of a popular game.

D2R is proving that remaster and sticking exactly to all the original game mechanics is not always a great thing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I'm wondering if I'll like Shadow man if I like Max Payne.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I play too many old games to not pick BC; if computers were restrictively generational, I wouldn't be playing about 60% of the games I currently do.

After that I'd say remake; I just appreciate them more because I don't need remasters. I got a PC with near-infinite BC and at times mod support to make things look good and run better. Frame-for-frame or interpretive, I don't really care, I just like seeing old games brought to new, good-looking game engines, sometimes with a unique interpretation; Black Mesa isn't just one of the better remakes around, it puts a unique spin on Half-Life to the point it has been one of the better games in recent history.

I don't like remasters. They're cash grabs and they only exist because console manufacturers are too lazy or inept to do BC properly on console. I already bought the game once, your remaster isn't that good....piss off.

Which old games are you playing at the moment?

I think about 50-60% of what I'm playing at any time are old games.

I'm playing Call of Duty 2 and GTA V at the moment.

Yes, GTA V is old.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

All of the above.

Backwards compatibility is useful but, only for a limited amount of time imo.

A remaster is great if the game isn't too old. Ex. PS3 games to PS4/PS5 would be fine.

Anything before the PS3/X360 generation likely needs a remake. Ex. I rather remake Metal Gear Solid at this point than another remaster / HD Collection.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k: Shadowman closer to Tomb Raider/Metroid. Has its flaws to be sure, some folk hate it, some folk love it. So, I donno.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56089 Posts

All of these play a factor into my gaming life, so its basically I'll take whatever I can get but if I must pick, it'll be BC.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Im good with whatever. Some old games really benefit from a remaster/remake though.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

Remake. Move forward with a complete overhaul. Old games are more for Xbox players anyway.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Depends on the game.

The Mass Effect trilogy is a great example of a remaster done well (with the exception of leaving out the multiplayer. A decade difference is massive though.

It's also a great example of backwards compatibility. They didn't release it on PS5 so I have the PS4 version. Without backwards compatibility, I'd be f**ked.

I've found that I'm playing a lot of PS3 games remastered for PS4 on my PS5 as of late. Very odd time in gaming for me.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I prefer games that don't effectively have an expiration date. This is the one area where the PC will always reign supreme. Want to play Diablo II on the latest console? Pay Blizzard for the privilege. Me? I just load up my 21-year old copy of the game in Linux using Wine and play without a hassle. For that matter, I can still play my favorite Commodore 64 games from 35-years ago using VICE!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Remake I can play the majority of my favorite old games on PC so backward compatibility isn't a issue.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1235 Posts

Backwards compatibility should be standard and ideally you get better results when playing on stronger hardware - in this scenario remaster's are kinda pointless.

After that it's probably a case by case basis.... Is it just getting a face lift or is everything being overhauled?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

It honestly depends on the title. Whether I want a Remake, Remaster, or BC can change on a case by case basis. A FFVII Remaster being hyped as something new would've been DOA but that Remake turned heads and got the industry's attention. I'm currently playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode on PS4. It's a remaster of a PS2 game that was exclusively sold in Japan meaning I missed it. I'm fortunate that I have the ability to play it. It wouldn't be possible without that remaster. Different games require different approaches. I'd kill for a remake of The Legend of Dragoon, The Legend of Legaia, or Brave Fencer Musashi. I'd really like a remaster on current gen with Dark Cloud 1 & 2. I'd buy that day 1.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

BC hands down. You can have backward compatible games and remakes. Making the old games entirely inaccessible and only having remakes or remasters is a negative.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

It depends. For relatively modern games like Bloodborne, a 4k60fps remaster for PC/PS5 would be fine. For older games like MGS and Silent Hill, I'd like them to be remade.

x1fijug769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By x1fijug769
Member since 2021 • 3 Posts

I wish they would remake Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Loading Video...

Good God, I LOVED the entire Legacy of Kain series!

The idea of vampires running the world and nobody dying any longer which pisses off some fate God so he summons you from the depths of hell to become his grim reaper to get the wheel of fate spinning once more is just thrilling! You run around wasting vampires and sucking their souls. At any moment during the game you can morph yourself into the spirit realm or the material realm to face different enemies and obstacles. It was such a brilliant game and I hate to see it lost to the sands of time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

If they can make my favourite games better with remakes, I'll take that. Otherwise remasters will do.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Generally speaking- if the original version can't hold a steady framerate then it should get a remaster/update. If it can then backwards compatibility is fine.

Although I will admit that older games I played -especially on the N64- that many folks say are "unplayable" today I can go back to and enjoy no problem. Such as Goldeneye. But I do prefer the "remasters" of games like Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark we got a few years ago.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Remaster last? 😯

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

A remake is the only thing that's worth my time, and even then, in most cases, i prefer a remake of a game i have never played. The best is a reimagined remake, so even if i have played the original, the remake has a bunch of new stuff in it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen: isn't Demon's Souls your GOAT?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: isn't Demon's Souls your GOAT?

It is. But woud have preferred it being a reimagined remake? Hell yes (if done right of course).

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

BC above all else. Want to have all the classics covered, as they are.

Remasters are nice too, just feels weird repurchasing a game that is usually just some bumped up settings. Especially when you see mods, emulation, or in some cases BC or direct ports that yield the same result.

Remakes are iffy. Chances are if I really enjoyed a game, probably don't want someone fucking with it, potentially ruining what I enjoyed about the OG. Sometimes the gameplay suffers, a lot of times it's art direction that takes a hit, just so many ways to miss the mark. Resident Evil Remake is a brilliant example of a remake done right, but not exactly the norm.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: yea it almost seems like if you do a Remake, gotta be done by the same people. FF7 Remake is a great example.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Trying to think of remakes consider better than the originals, it's a thin list.

Remasters it is then. Nightdive Studios come to mind. Do an excellent job updating the visuals without fucking up the art-direction, don't try to charge you through the nose and also tweak poor gameplay aspects.

Loading Video...

^ System Shock and Shadow Man being some of their best work thus far

True, Nightdive does an excellent job with remastering old games and making them super cheap unlike Nintendo and Rockstar where they charge full price for their remasters.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

Generally yeah, but even that can go sideways lol. Some of the downgrades made to OoT and MM are just... mind boggling man.

Though not really sure the degree of Aonumas involvement, might have been all fresh faces.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: downgrades?! what happened?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
@SolidGame_basic said:

😂

It's an exhaustive list man. Started typing up a mega post, but really, there's tons of articles and vids out there that draw direct comparisons.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

😂

It's an exhaustive list man. Started typing up a mega post, but really, there's tons of articles and vids out there that draw direct comparisons.

I know that Nintendo ruined the Zora swimming in Majora's Mask for the 3DS. Seriously what were they thinking?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@AcidTango:

lol yeah, one of the many anti-fun choices they made.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ConanTheStoner said:

BC above all else. Want to have all the classics covered, as they are.

Remasters are nice too, just feels weird repurchasing a game that is usually just some bumped up settings. Especially when you see mods, emulation, or in some cases BC or direct ports that yield the same result.

Remakes are iffy. Chances are if I really enjoyed a game, probably don't want someone fucking with it, potentially ruining what I enjoyed about the OG. Sometimes the gameplay suffers, a lot of times it's art direction that takes a hit, just so many ways to miss the mark. Resident Evil Remake is a brilliant example of a remake done right, but not exactly the norm.

Get what you're saying here, and I agree.

On this end, if it's cheap, has substantial improvement, while not fucking up the core game in some manner be it aesthetics or gameplay, happily plop down some dosh over taking the time to install to some mods. Seeing actual legit man work, from them, taken off your shoulders to justify it.

Some mods themselves inherently have issues, espically if they are stacked up. Even now been playing Doom 3 VR (everyone's fav game) and while it's easy to install and operate, crashes like a motherfucker.

Kinda find that with most mods use, Gothic II, Skyrim etc.. etc.. etc.. Can be abit of a roulette wheel.

Emulation, yea. If you're selling a remaster, roms etc.. should, by default be superior to the illegitimate emulation software.

Emulators tend to have options that completely dwarf what retail games provide. Be it dolphin, Retroarch etc..

Nintendo ATM, esp look like giant assholes. At least to those who aren't in the cult.

-

-

Homeworld to me for all of Gearbox' issues is still kinda the benchmark, at least on PC. Like, just need to spend 30 seconds looking at it to see the upgrade. Everything right down to the audio was touched up. Two full games, originals, extras, half the price of a full retail game. Looks like it's skipped generations ahead.

There was a minor issue with fuel, but it's totally misc when taken into account the full package.

Loading Video...

And then here we are now. Nintendo charging full price for garbage. Rockstar getting everyone on the monorail.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: !!

BTW, you ever read the Zelda lore? There's like three different branches in the timeline and each game depends on what timeline it's on 😮

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner

@uninspiredcup:

Yeah for sure. Will gladly take the remaster if it's on point and obviously less hassle.

But yeah, emulation/mods are getting me tons of mileage these days. Unpaid fans on PC doing what Nintendon't, which is great.

@SolidGame_basic said:

@ConanTheStoner: !!

BTW, you ever read the Zelda lore? There's like three different branches in the timeline and each game depends on what timeline it's on 😮

lol yeah man, watched some vids here and there. Bit of a clusterfuck tbh, but fun to see how deep people will go to make some of those connections.

Always liked Zelda, but it's kinda in that Metroid/Castlevania boat to me. Passive interest, but ultimately don't care how it all ties together. (Metroid being way more straight forward, but still).

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: All I know is, either Ganon or Link wins, and sometimes you play as kid Link lol.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

How could anyone choose BC. There's no way in hell I'm playing an old game, on an old system. As soon as I get the next console I never look back. Happened with PS2, PS3, PS4 at least. with PS5, I play the games that got an upgrade at least.

remasters vs remakes...

A remake is always better than a remaster. Always.

However, I think it is excessive to remake a game that is only a generation old. The Last of Us (1) is one of my top 5 favourite games of all time, but there is no need to remake it as it was remastered on PS4.

People talk of a Bloodborne remake, which I think is absurd, just give us a 60 fps patch and possibly 4K resolution bump and it'll look awesome. Focus on Elden Ring / Bloodborne 2 / remaking DS1.

even Metal Gear Solid 4, my favourite game of all time, doesn't need a remake. Bump it up to 4K/60fps (from 720p/20fps) and we're good. but I mean a remake would be better.

Games that absolutely *do* need a remake:

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Devil May Cry
  • Final Fantasy VIII

• Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X