Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic

Poll Do you like WRPG or JRPG's more? (31 votes)

Western RPG's 39%
Japanese RPG's 61%

I tend to gravitate towards JRPG games, although not the run of the mill ones. I like games like Final Fantasy, Persona, Xenogears, and I want to try Dragon Quest. I do like Western RPG's too though, best example being Skyrim. But for JRPG's tend to have these interesting fantasy worlds that I like, with great art and style and mysterious (although sometimes cliche) plots. JRPG's do suck when it comes to side missions though, relying a lot on fetch quests and mundane stuff which I dislike. As for western games, I'd like to see something more unique. Maybe Cyberpunk will be the answer to that. I saw the video and it looks interesting, although the shooting mechanics looked boring. Well anyway, where do you fall on this, SW? WRPG or JRPG?

• 
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24951 Posts

I hated both. JRPG i hate them because they are too anime like.

WRPG i hate them because they almost always have bad gameplay mechanics. be it fallout, mass effect or witcher etc.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

There are a number of WRPG’s that I really enjoy however my preference is with JRPG’s.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

JRPG. I grew up playing JRPG's with the likes of Final Fantasy, Persona, Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts and etc.

The only WRPG I played was Fallout 4. Sadly, I couldn't get into it, sold it after a month.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

JRPGs.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

JRPG's all day but I'm not biased to the point that I don't try other stuff too. I own Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, and The Witcher 3. I love Skyrim and The Witcher 3. The other two, not so much

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I have favorites from both. Witcher 3 and Nier Automata are 2 of my favorite games of all time. I love the Mass Effect trilogy and the Kingdom Hearts series (excluding the shitty card game).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

Classically, JRPG. More recently I lean to WRPG, although they aren't getting drastically better, much like JRPG's.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I just can´t get into the style of some JRPG ´s, like Monster Hunter, the design style and choices like not including voice actors, is pretty annoying.

So i will have to go with WRPG´s

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I generally prefer JRPGs, but there's been some outstanding WRPGs also. As nice as the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series' are, I think the sheer quantity of quality JRPGs just edge it for me.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

JRPG loved Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5266 Posts

Eventhough JRPGs has been my long time favorites, what I begin to dislike about contemporary JRPGs are the outright gaudy character designs and the impractical clothes most wear. At first I see this in Final Fantasy X, and now I am seeing these designs in Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

WRPG are better the JRPG genre is dead to me they have not evolved in years now

Pixel_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Pixel_Mage
Member since 2018 • 80 Posts

JRPGs are my favorite genre, and WRPGs are one of my least favorite. Aside from the fact that I don't like open-world in most cases, WRPGs tend to be extremely bland in almost every category. With the uninspired art styles, dull characters along with dull designs (though I'll admit JRPGs tend to be TOO crazy), uninteresting worlds, little to no story, lack of quality music, and some of the worst gameplay in gaming, not to mention the bugs that are common in these games, I just can't get invested into them. JRPGs are basically the opposite of all that. JRPGs have their share of clichés, and there are certainly some bad ones, but they're generally far more interesting than any WRPG I've ever seen or played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

There are a number of WRPG’s that I really enjoy however my preference is with JRPG’s.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7711 Posts

Speaking of traditional JRPG's, I've only liked Persona 5 from past years, not counting Nier,MHW etc. Didn't get to half way through of Ni No Kuni 2, tapped few hours on FFXV(didn't go expecting too much, only like 3 entries in the series). Maybe Octopath is worth the play so have to get on it at some point. Divinity 2, Pillars 2, Tyranny etc much more my jam these days.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

I give JRPG's a slight win for having more diverse and prettier worlds and introspective characters, but only if they don't use a typical turn-based battles system. Grandia and Baten Kaitos are probably my favorites of the genre.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

JRPGs. The Tales series is my favourite gaming franchise, while Tales of Xillia is my favourite game.