Do you like romance your partner option in rpg games? Or you like to stick to traditional loot and grind adventure only?

KazumaKiryu21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By KazumaKiryu21
Member since 2021 • 565 Posts

Bioware , CDPR , Bethesda all are doing it nowadays in every games. Does it break your immersion or you like to stick to traditional loot and grind adventure in your rpg games? For me its nice for a change from typical dungeon crawling.

Please share your opinion,

Thanking everyone in advance.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 10843 Posts

In every single game that ive played that had romance sections, it felt forced, and i can't stand that. TW2 and TW3 did it fine, and probably the only two games i wasn't cringing.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 47384 Posts

Depends on the girl. In a game like Mass Effect, I always romance Liara for the most parts but once the Legendary Edition release, I went with Tali this time around.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01  Online
Member since 2003 • 29012 Posts

I've never minded romance plots, but it's never been a make or break gameplay element for me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4880 Posts

I don't really miss them when they are not there, but usually explore them when they are. I prefer when certain characters are straight, others are gay, and some are bi. Having everyone be bi is too easy :).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16555 Posts

In other words, when the option is there, do you like to play the game to completion?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 46296 Posts

Like a bit of romance, but in Western RPGs I don't think it's particularly well done. Seems to work better in JRPGs with set characters and plots.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15800 Posts

I liked the romance options in some JRPGs like Persona, Star Ocean and Dragon Quest V. The romance options in some JRPGs remind me of visual novels, where romance options are a big deal.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12403 Posts

Depends. In western RPG the option can feel bit forced but very memorable if you grown attached to the partner while in JRPG if not done well can come off as very shallow and usually panders to the weeb crowd innuendo tease moments. If done well (and its very rare) you get some good story.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@sakaixx said:

Depends. In western RPG the option can feel bit forced but very memorable if you grown attached to the partner while in JRPG if not done well can come off as very shallow and usually panders to the weeb crowd innuendo tease moments. If done well (and very rarely) you get some good story.

Yes. Western RPGs tend to feel like structural decisions than something natural.

Stuff like Mass Effect, it's a hub to collect characters like Pokemon with most of them standing around idle waiting for activation. Artificial, leading to an attempt at edge which results in comical Team America sex scenes.

Where typically in a good JPRG (played 4) it's deliberately narrow in approach with controlled pacing leading to a comparatively organic experience closer to a book.

rmiller365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 rmiller365
Member since 2010 • 1174 Posts

I like them personally. My favorite romance option being KOTOR where your influence actually pulls the character to the darkside or lightside depending on how you play. They're typically subplots so if you don't like them you're still free to ignore the option entirely and play the game how you want.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5767 Posts

Depends if the the game has waifus!

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26343 Posts

CD Projekt games like Cyberpunk and Witcher games were pretty good in the romance dept. They felt way more organic than other games.

Other games aren't the greatest, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. Still wishing Outer Worlds had romance options, because I always enjoy those types of things even if they aren't done that well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 39669 Posts

Depends on the game. Persona games I didn't mind. Trevor and Mr Raspberry Jam in GTA V, unforgettable story moment. Aside from the Asari in Mass Effect I thought the inter-species romance was a bit gross, but I had to try just to see.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 16052 Posts

I like it when it is fleshed out and done right. Games like Witcher 2 and 3 or Mass effect trilogy where you actually have a choice and characters have back stories and actually open up the more you talk to them.

When its artificial like Skyrim, Elex, or Fallout where it's just a series of companions with very little purpose or things to say it's pretty stale and useless.

My favorite romance options are games like Divinity Original Sin or Mass Effect series.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6284 Posts

Witcher series was ok, it was already part of the characters story. Although, 99% games you gain nothing from it, so what is the point?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13403 Posts

Depends on the game (setting, characters, gameplay). I'm not a big fan of JRPGs but they seem to deal with romance better. I also found that older WRPGs dealt with it better than newer WRPGs.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 1945 Posts

Best romance option had to be Binary Domain. Didn't even know they were romance options til I got with the main side chick.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4512 Posts

I like it when the game casts a wide romance net. I wanna be able to have 3 wives 2 husbands and a harpy or mer-person!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12403 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@sakaixx said:

Depends. In western RPG the option can feel bit forced but very memorable if you grown attached to the partner while in JRPG if not done well can come off as very shallow and usually panders to the weeb crowd innuendo tease moments. If done well (and very rarely) you get some good story.

Yes. Western RPGs tend to feel like structural decisions than something natural.

Stuff like Mass Effect, it's a hub to collect characters like Pokemon with most of them standing around idle waiting for activation. Artificial, leading to an attempt at edge which results in comical Team America sex scenes.

Where typically in a good JPRG (played 4) it's deliberately narrow in approach with controlled pacing leading to a comparatively organic experience closer to a book.

You should give Persona 3 (the original not P3FES or P3P) a try. In the original edition you could only romance 1 girl and if you dont pay attention to her, reject her request to go on dates, chosse wrong options or you try to cheat or have a side chick the consequence can be dire (and really fun). Your social link (confidant in P5) will be locked and have to waste days or weeks to win back your girl. Also dating means you will get some fun events on weekend outing where if you go out with other girls you may get busted.

Persona 3 relation mechanics is really damn well made, too bad they removed these mechanics for weeb harem king fantasy in later rerelease and sequels cause players complained its too hard lol.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6593 Posts

Never really cared about them. I only care about making my character more powerful, or getting better gear. If a romance can gain me any of that, I'll do it, but I'm not actually interested in the dialogue or the cutscenes.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 229 Posts

If it's in the game I'll try it,just like the poker-dice-checkers,Gwent in tw3 took this to a different level

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 1672 Posts

I consider romance a fun little side quest and I generally like side quests in games. So yeah, it's fine.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 9064 Posts

Depends on what I think fits the character I'm playing. For example, in Dragon Age: Origins, my Dalish archer is a focused and patient ranger who just wants to help her people, so she didn't romance anyone. Whereas in Dragon Age II my Hawke is a snarky rogue with a heart of gold, so naturally she hooked up with the pirate lady.

Because role-playing in, you know, role-playing games.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JasonOfA36  Online
Member since 2016 • 3340 Posts

Either for me. As long as the main plot is good, I don't care much for selectable romance.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13900 Posts

It's fine if it's there or not, whatever fits best in the storyline and the characters.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1740 Posts

I think they're pointless in games, unless its a game solely about romance.

I didn't find Geralt visiting a brothel add anything to the Witcher 3.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 17295 Posts

Depends on how it interacts in the game.

In a game like Wildermyth it works well, as it actually significantly interacts with the actual game part of the game. It also worked well in Fire Emblem 7. Where you had 2 lovers. If one of them kicks the bucket, the other one permanently leaves your party. Which includes one of the strongest mages in the game.

If it is just a romance minigame that does nothing. Then I couldnt care less for it.

Edit: While I never played the game. Persona 3 sounds like the romance feature was a mechanic from hell itself. As in order to max social links with all the girls, you had to date them. I do hope I am wrong on that though. Because stuff like that prevents me from even wanting to look at that game, let alone play it.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15008 Posts

If it's done well yes. I always cite Baldur's Gate 2 where even the least interesting romance option is a journey through like 50 conversations across the game's playtime, to learn about them and ensure said person likes you. You can easily say or do the wrong things and it shuts off the path. Also, it plays an important role in certain main story events.

While the mechanic for triggering it is slightly dated these days by comparison, this is the kind of detail that should be aimed for. Something that isn't front and center or mandatory but has the depth and value to feel meaningful and entertaining if explored.

At the end of the day, people bang. If you have a story with characters with obvious chemistry or tension and it's never addressed, that's just as inorganic as writing a half-assed shoehorned love plot. We should encourage more of it in games, and encourage it to be done better.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dabear
Member since 2002 • 4105 Posts

@kazumakiryu21: It depends.

I couldn't care less about digital "nudity".

But, if you get something out of a romance, like new dialog options, gear, or a side quest, I'm all for it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@kadin_kai said:

I think they're pointless in games, unless its a game solely about romance.

I didn't find Geralt visiting a brothel add anything to the Witcher 3.

I think that's the point and, probably the most realistic aspect of the Witcher.

Gerald Of Rivendale is very obviously an attractive fellow. But also one that's on the move not looking for attachments.

Woman as well, court men as opposed to men always courting woman. Depicting bored housewives, wenches, upper class looking for a romp etc...

It's not designed to be "mah feeling" but almost purely physical exchanges for endorphins adding a sense of grounded realism to a fantastical world.

He does have physical attachment in the form of Triss Merigold. And generally speaking, her, and similar friends is all he gives a shit about rather than any grander political machinations that's inevitably thrust upon him.

Basically your classic Samurai/Western hero passing through town minding his own business but ultimately drawn into conflict through good nature.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5043 Posts

I dont care for this unless you get an extra bonus for having a mate... then I'll marry a potato just to get the lovers embrace buff or whatever.

As far as story vs grind... I always give the story a fair shake on my 1st playthru. But then I'm smashing skips asap.