SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

I love JRPG's. Love the music, the art style, the crazy ass stories. Some of my favorite JRPG IP's include Final Fantasy, Persona, Ni No Kuni, Xenogears/Xenoblade, and more. What about you, SW? Are you a fan of JRPG's?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3451 Posts

I am a big fan of JRPG's too. Games like Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Persona are some of my favourite franchises.

Nowadays I have owned and played less of them due to lack of time, which has diverted my attention to other genres.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Clearly yes, one of my favorite genre!!!

I always have tons of them on every platform i own.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

Used to play them a lot back in the day, but kind of gotten fed up with them, Persona 5 was the only jrpg I bothered finishing in the past 5 years or so. Honestly it's been hard to find the "good" in them lately, music I guess but the rest?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9778 Posts

Can't stand them. While I loved fallout 4, if it was ever remade with spiky haired, doe eyed characters and poorly translated text boxes, along with "mighty morphing power rangers" dialogue, I'd pass.

Glad for those that do, but it's just not for me.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Yes I do, it is my fav. genre. It's a shame there is a lot of crap around though

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

Jrpgs are just like any other type of game. Some are good but most arent.

If the game has good story and gameplay then I'm down for it.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 654 Posts

I sure do. Persona is my favourite series. Where else can you get a talking cat fighting a dick-demon on a carriage.

Fun can be had by all

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

JRPGs suck. Teenagers with mini skirts and big tities save the world. Meh.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

No i dont. They are too childish, too girly and too animu and not a fan of turn based combat.

i mean look at this.

This is why i hate JRPG.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I loke oldschool JRPGs more than the likes of FF12/13/15

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Love RPGs, but not a fan of JRPG art style.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

A big fan of classic JRPGs. But not so much modern JRPGs. Up until 2017, when JRPGs made a comeback.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Probably my favourite genre growing up. Nowadays i'm usually gaming in shorter spurts, so they're not the best use of my time, but once in a while we get something like Persona, and i'm hooked.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Oh yeah I definitely love JRPGs myself. Many favourites of mine are:

- Chrono Trigger/Cross

- Final Fantasy

- Dragon Quest

- Tales of

- Xenoblade

I love the epic “save the world” stories, music, enemy/boss designs, artstyle, and gameplay.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

yes

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

No i dont. They are too childish, too girly and too animu and not a fan of turn based combat.

i mean look at this.

This is why i hate JRPG.

Damn, tales is one of my favorite franchises.

But i like the genre as equal as western rpg's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

NO - they're boring, tedious and coma-inducing snoozefests - not my cup of tea

I do enjoy Japanese games though - Castlevanias (2D), LoZ or any Nintendo franchises, Beat 'Em Ups (Final Fights/Double Dragons etc), Shmups like R-Types, UN Squadron, Ninja Gaidens, classic Street Fighters, Devil May Cry, Neo Geo SNK games, etc.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:

I do enjoy Japanese games though - Castlevanias (2D), LoZ or any Nintendo franchises, Beat 'Em Ups (Final Fights/Double Dragons etc), Shmups like R-Types, UN Squadron, Ninja Gaidens, classic Street Fighters, Devil May Cry, Neo Geo SNK games, etc.

yeah I love me some Japanese action games, Nioh was one of my top games last year, just because you don't happen to like jrpg's doesnt mean you dont like japanese games in general, which might sound shocking to some of the peeps here

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

yeah I love me some Japanese action games, Nioh was one of my top games last year, just because you don't happen to like jrpg's doesnt mean you dont like japanese games in general, which might sound shocking to some of the peeps here

Indeed.

It's one of the most bias assumption people make here against people who aren't into JPRGs, especially against Xbox gamers like myself. All of sudden I'm "anti-Japanese" or "weeaboo is so racist, go back to your bro-fest games..." blah blah blah. I grew up mainly on Generation 3-4 consoles, and there was a time where Japanese games dominated the market in various genres. And among those genres, Japanese Action/Adventure/Shmups/Beat 'em Ups - were some of my favorite genres, outside of JRPGs.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@sealionact said:

Can't stand them. While I loved fallout 4, if it was ever remade with spiky haired, doe eyed characters and poorly translated text boxes, along with "mighty morphing power rangers" dialogue, I'd pass.

Glad for those that do, but it's just not for me.

Really cant say it better. Especially the turn based combat and J-pop music in them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cainetao11

@VERTIGO47 said:
@howmakewood said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

Indeed.

It's one of the most bias assumption people make here against people who aren't into JPRGs, especially against Xbox gamers like myself. All of sudden I'm "anti-Japanese" or "weeaboo is so racist, go back to your bro-fest games..." blah blah blah. I grew up mainly on Generation 3-4 consoles, and there was a time where Japanese games dominated the market in various genres. And among those genres, Japanese Action/Adventure/Shmups/Beat 'em Ups - were some of my favorite genres, outside of JRPGs.

Agreed. There are plenty of Japanese developed games I love. Just not animu, weab shit. And weaboo isn't racist as it isn't a race. A weaboo can be of any race.

The bro gamer hate has been a thing for longer than I posted here. Some of these uncoordinated gaming nerds think gaming was supposed to stay theirs. Nope, its for every one because money talks and babybackballbagbullshit walks Yosuke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hate them. I can pretty much find at least one game in every genre that I enjoy except for this genre. I've never found a JRPG that I can tolerate.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9778 Posts

@cainetao11: "Ha, you dare to want to challenge me? I slaughter you with my Butterfly!"

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@cainetao11: dude just play Persona 5 and watch you’ll be wearing a blue wig and leather jacket in no time

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:
@howmakewood said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

Indeed.

I agree. I've also had some people (mostly Playstation fanboys) claim that I'm anti-Japanese because I don't like JRPGs and weaboo games when in fact, I actually love Japanese games in many different genres and many of my favorite games of all time are Japanese games. In fact, I'd say that Japanese developers are better than western developers in most genres. But I've always hated JRPGs even going back to the NES/SNES/Genesis days when I was growing up. RPGs are definitely one genre that I prefer from western developers over Japanese developers.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

Yes, I didn't used to, but Panzer Dragoon Saga and Chrono Trigger changed my mind because they both do away with a lot of jrpg gameplay tropes that I don't like. With that said, I'm very picky about which ones I play, because this genre requires a lot of time investment.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Tales of is my favourite game franchise, and Tales of Xillia is my favourite game of all time, so yes, I like JRPG.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I used to, back in the SNES days, and played a few on PS1. Then when I started playing WRPGs, I saw the role playing that was missing in the JRPGs, and they lost their appeal to me.

Kruugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kruugh
Member since 2017 • 117 Posts

No.

I don't like J-RPG's

At all.... W-RPG or nothing

J-RPG's are not even close of what I (and I only) consider to be a RPG

But i like lots of Japanese games

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#32 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Oh yeah. I just love weeb games in general.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cainetao11

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11: dude just play Persona 5 and watch you’ll be wearing a blue wig and leather jacket in no time

Charizard once thought as you do..........................I played Persona 4 for 13 hours or so. It sucks turtle dung from the tap. Why would I like 5 then?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sometimes. Some of my favorite games are jrpgs. Chrono trigger is one of the best games ever made imo. But many of them are too grindy, too random encounter heavy, or too shitty on the story front. In other words.... I like the best ones, but don't like the genre enough to bother with the less stellar titles.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@cainetao11: I will say JRPG’s are slow moving. If that’s not your thing I understand.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

@SolidGame_basic: It's all subjective. As Shakespeare wrote, good and bad exist not, only conscious thought tries to make it so.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@cainetao11: I’m pretty sure Shakespeare would’ve preferred PS4 because of the cinematic/artsy games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cainetao11

@SolidGame_basic: Has no bearing on my preference

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2549 Posts

Yes I do, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4 and Final Fantasy IX are my top 3 games of all time and all of them happen to be JRPG.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

I used to. The issue is the time it takes to get through a JRPG. I can get through 3-4 quality games in the time it takes me to get through a quality JRPG. I still want to buy Ni No Kuni 2 and Tales of Berseria, but who knows when the hell I'd ever get through one of them (still haven't beat FF15 even though I've owned it for months). Maybe if I am ever unemployed, I'll find a love for JRPGs again aha.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

Are we talking specifically turn based RPGs or RPGs made in Japan? Because I love the Souls series, but could take or leave many of the turn based Japanese games where you just choose attack, magic, item or defend with your cursor.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Yes. Though not as much as before. In recent times WRPG's are simply superior.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#43  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Are we talking specifically turn based RPGs or RPGs made in Japan? Because I love the Souls series, but could take or leave many of the turn based Japanese games where you just choose attack, magic, item or defend with your cursor.

I've always used "JRPG" to literally mean "Japanese RPGs". That's the only definition that is logically consistent and makes any kind of rational sense.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3451 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

i mean look at this.

This is why i hate JRPG.

I agree. There is an extent where JRPG's are too childish, cutie, and kiddy characters wearing low cut costumes. That's where I would put my controller down, switch off the television, and return the game.

Take Xenoblade Chronicle 2 for instance, theres a noticeable difference between Xenoblade 1 and 2 character design. My reaction after watching Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer was... "WTF happened here?!".

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I love em but they've changed over the years and now I prefer older jrpg. The last one I bought was Tales of Vesperia. I was not a big fan of the revenge plot. Graces was worst that game rode the friendship card too hard and the plot was as muddy as Vesperia

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Oh yeah. I just love weeb games in general.

Hell. Fucking. Yes to this as well!!!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

WHo doesn't? Ah yes, fans of 50 shades of grey and brown.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14835 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I've always used "JRPG" to literally mean "Japanese RPGs". That's the only definition that is logically consistent and makes any kind of rational sense.

But Souls games simply do not play like one.

The JRPGs that are "genre" are the ones that follow the Dragon Quest template of combat or exploration.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14835 Posts

@needhealing said:

Yes. Though not as much as before. In recent times WRPG's are simply superior.

To me, Undertale killed the JRPG. They showed how devolved and behind they are.

Its hilarious seeing how Sweet Home, an 8 bit NES/Faicom game, is more advanced in its role playing than current JRPGs.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

I liked them quite abit during the Ps1 and Ps2 days. RPG's in general for me are hard to play nowadays.