Do you like grind fests?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

Do you like grind fests in video games?

I find them dumb for the idea that I can't progress unless I've done a repetetive task numerous times that has less to do with actual skill and more to do with quantity spent.

The only positive I can say about grinding is that if the game is difficult, you can do something until you are ready to progress.

So, do you like grind fests?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I actually adore them.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

no hate them, the reason i gave up on wow was because i realised it is just one big grind *wow lovers stampede in saying how i played 0% of the game because i only got to level 20*

i prefer rpgs that move forward constantly too, were you naturally progress through the levels so when you reach a boss you a ready to fight them without being over powering or underpowered so you need to run around in circles for 4 hours to fight respawning villians.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Meh. The Dragon Quest series involves a godly amount of grinding.... but it still manages to be one of my favorite series. So yeah I guess.

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

Depends on the game. For something like Diablo II, it's what the game is about. But if it's used like a lot of JRPGs do to pad game length it's annoying.

Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

Depends on the game I'm grinding in. If it's like Disgaea and MMORPG grinding where there's other interesting things to do while in the middle of grinding, then yeah, I love them. Especially if the world you're grinding in is interesting or colorful.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
If that's all there is to it like in some/all MMOs then no, I don't like it. But having to do some side quests to beat a difficult enemy in a SP RPG is a very good way of implementing "grinding". And technically it's just not in RPGs, something like CoD4 could be called a grindfest as well, afterall all you do is kill the next guy, and the next, and the next to rank up ..so I guess in a way if a MMORPG had similar combat to CoD4 I might actually like grinding.. :/ so it depends on the gameplay I suppose.
jimbobtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jimbobtom
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts
no thats why i gave up on ff 12 (i just got past the mountain part, was i far in? please no spoilers :))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 avatar_genius

I got really really far in Kingdom Heart 2, to the second Tron level, which is about 3 worlds from the end of the game, and I couldn't progress past this point because you had to kill all the enemies in the time limit to win and my guys weren't high level enough and you couldn't leave the Tron place and go do something else, my only choice was to stay there and grind until I could beat it and it pretty much sealed my hate for grinding forever.

I really had no problem with grinding at all until that point, but that was enough to just turn me off almost completely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 avatar_genius

no thats why i gave up on ff 12 (i just got past the mountain part, was i far in? please no spoilers :))jimbobtom

Farther than I got, apparantly.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

depends on the game and the mood I'm in at the time.

Cellpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cellpwn
Member since 2007 • 1052 Posts

I'm done with grindfests now that I'm older. It feels like a bigger time waster compared to video games where youactualldevelope skill.

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

Depends if the grinding is fun. I like Diablo 2 which is big on grinding. I'm sure in Diablo 3 they we'll make leveling more fun. Baal runs kinda suck.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#14 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

no hate them, the reason i gave up on wow was because i realised it is just one big grind *wow lovers stampede in saying how i played 0% of the game because i only got to level 20*

Mckenna1845

I got to 67 or 68 before I gave up.

Same thing the whole game except the mobs are a different color and are larger.

DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

I am really going to contradict my self here but who cares lol.

In principle I hate the idea, its pointless and I like the idea of fun.

I used to play Star Wars Galaxies. I remember for about 3 months, I did nothing but group up at a starport on dantooine mining outpost if I remember. I would always try to group up with higher level players for more XP. We would get missions from terminals to go destroy a lair of animals. We would head out a few kilometres in the game to the lair and start attacking the creatures. It was always best to use area attacks as you got XP for each creature you hit but had to be careful because if you were low level they would 'agro' and all attack you at once (always good to have a medic in the group).

You would get XP for each creature hit and then a nice lump when the lair itself was destroyed. Head back get another couple of missions to destroy lairs and then rinse and repeat.

Now, I remember at the time thinking how boring it was but I kept going. The real reward came when I gained enough XP to go to a trainer NPC and get some new ability. At the time I was working towards becoming Master Rifleman / Master Bounty Hunter. Along the way I would trade in XP for some really interesting and quite creative abilities. There was always something new to work towards. It took me 3 months to get to the highest level, level 80.

The grind itself was boring but it was the incentives that kept me going. It really is like a drug and even now I miss the old version of the game (before the NGE and any SWG vets will know what I'm talking about).

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
yes, if the awards for grinding are good like the cool loot and levelling up in Diablo, else no
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Sometimes. Most of the time in handhelds cause it keeps you busy while waiting for something.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts
If its imaginative Grinding then it can be OK but usually no, it's one of the many MANY reasons i hate JRPGs so much,
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

the only game that I dont mind grinding in is Pokemon games since the guys you fight to level up(the pokemon) can be added to your team, plus it is part of the challenge to collect all of the different pokemon and grinding just helps you search for them easier :P

but other then in that 1 specific case, I hate grinding.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

No its terrible, I don't mind sidequests but not find 100 something in a large map.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts
I love grinding, honestly I find it really entertaining, though if the game is bad grinding is boring.. Honestly, I can't find one RPG that I like and I hate grinding in it, because I have fun while doing it. A few games I have like The Dark Spire require epic grinding to even try to start the game, I've grinded 8 hours on The Dark Spire and I haven't even left the first floor.. I need to play that game more though..
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Do you like grind fests in video games?

I find them dumb for the idea that I can't progress unless I've done a repetetive task numerous times that has less to do with actual skill and more to do with quantity spent.

The only positive I can say about grinding is that if the game is difficult, you can do something until you are ready to progress.

So, do you like grind fests?

No, which is why I play Guild Wars instead of WoW.

MJPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 MJPK
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

I actually adore them.IronBass

Same here.I spend alot of hours grinding in RPG's.I hate that some of the new RPG's discourage it now.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

No. You're just selecting "attack" over and over again.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
I refuse to play a game with is designed around that concept. Grind fests are one of the worst ever when it comes to video games.