Do you like Edgy games?

#1 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10298 posts) -

Hello friends,

so, there are many games that claim to be mature, rated 18 but they are more edgy than mature. case in point games like GTA, saints row which have insane amount of swearing and have some nudity or Witcher which involve insane amount of nudity etc.

I still believe developer can distinguish between mature tone and edgy tone. lets compare Deus Ex 1 to Cyberpunk.

Here intelligent dialouges and real mature tone rather than using F words over and over again to looks cool. yet when i see cyberpunk all i see is insane amount of swearing etc. not that cyberpunk doesnot looks good. it does but too edgy for my taste.

theres also one of the reason why i still believe Mafia 1 is better than any GTA game because its mature game while GTA is edgy game.

I just hate insane amount of swearing, nudity, excessive voilence ( i like voilent games but just in limit) in games. they are just too edgy for my taste.

so friends, do you like or hate edgy games? lets discuss

#2 Edited by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

Swearing is not always used to be edgy. They try to write dialog which is suitable for gangsters and street thugs. If they spoke like pastors I guess it could sound a bit odd.

#3 Posted by Pedro (35472 posts) -

Gamers who visit forums like these are typically immature loud mouths that cry when the boobs of a character is reduced or covered and quick to call the inclusion of sex scenes are mature. I am not even sure who developers are catering to with their cringe worthy edginess. I boil it down to bad writing from wannabe writers and an audience with equally bad taste. :)

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (34378 posts) -

As with all things, depends on the execution. An attempt at maturity can be just as cringy and unintentionally hilarious as a bad attempt at edginess.

Basically, David Cage.

Dues Ex as well.

Loading Video...

"Is this fun" is, more or less the beginning and end of it.

#5 Posted by Juub1990 (8672 posts) -

This might be ghost’s best thread yet.

#6 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

Are you even 18 yet Sniper? I remember when you first started posting here, you were barely 13 and claiming that playing games like Doom made people "mature".

#7 Edited by Archangel3371 (28407 posts) -

An “insane” amount of nudity in The Witcher 3? That seems pretty hyperbolic to me. I don’t know if I’d call that game edgy myself either. I like some of them I guess. I really enjoyed the previous two GTA games as well as The Witcher 3 plus I’m really hyped about Cyberpunk 2077. I don’t like all games that try to be edgy though. Never was interested in the Manhunt games or something like Hatred though. They just seemed more tasteless then anything else to me.

#8 Posted by watercrack445 (1733 posts) -

I don't know what that is.

#9 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10298 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Are you even 18 yet

come on my friend, im in late 20s reaching 30 soon.

edgy stuff in games mostly apeal to 20 yo kids.

#10 Posted by PC_Rocks (2556 posts) -

I hate Kojima and David Cage as creators.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (51241 posts) -

You're too pure for this world.

#12 Posted by Litchie (24140 posts) -

Too much can be very annoying, but some swearing and nudity usually doesn't bother me.

#13 Posted by djoffer (1430 posts) -

Mehh I honestly don’t care, I don’t consider gta to be very edgy and certainly not a game like saints row that goes out of its way to underline that’s all in good fun! I find these games hilarious and would love another saints row game!

Also never understood the obsession there is in USA( and other places to be fair) with nudity. There is no problem with very very graphic violence, but all hell breaks loose if someone sees a boob!

Also find it hilarious that you claim you don’t like violence, but at the same time have the next doom game as your most hyped.. but yeah wouldn’t be a ghost thread without some serious hyperbole I guess..

#14 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10298 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

You're too pure for this world.

what does that mean my friend?

#15 Edited by jeezers (3173 posts) -

Yeah i like x rated stuff, I tend to gravitate towards "edgy" material in other mediums as well, like music, movies, and comedy.there is an audience for over the top material that pushes again the social norm in almost any form of art or entertainment.

#16 Posted by freedomfreak (51241 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:

what does that mean my friend?

It means you're good.

#17 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10298 posts) -

@djoffer said:

Mehh I honestly don’t care, I don’t consider gta to be very edgy and certainly not a game like saints row that goes out of its way to underline that’s all in good fun! I find these games hilarious and would love another saints row game!

Also never understood the obsession there is in USA( and other places to be fair) with nudity. There is no problem with very very graphic violence, but all hell breaks loose if someone sees a boob!

Also find it hilarious that you claim you don’t like violence, but at the same time have the next doom game as your most hyped.. but yeah wouldn’t be a ghost thread without some serious hyperbole I guess..

Too much graphic violence is also bad. but nudity is worse. nudity and sex scenes in games always disgust me, and games are better without them.

#18 Posted by thereal25 (1811 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: I'm surprised that nudity and language bothers you in games.

#19 Posted by djoffer (1430 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: but how isn’t there to much violence in doom for you??

#20 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10298 posts) -

@djoffer said:

@ghosts4ever: but how isn’t there to much violence in doom for you??

its voilence against demons. beside voilence doesnot bother me as much as swearing and nudity.

#21 Posted by Jag85 (13596 posts) -

I kind of agree with OP. I'm just not very interested in edgy games that rely on copious amounts of violence, sex, nudity or swearing. More often than not, most of these games often have shallow weak gameplay. Almost like they're trying overcompensate for their weak gameplay with so-called "mature" edginess.

#22 Posted by DaVillain- (37552 posts) -

Hatred and Postal are pretty edgy I can get behind and enjoy. Even Tales of Berseria is pretty edgy early on, even when play Overwatch as Reaper the entire time. To answer the question, the term "edgy" doesn't really come to my mind, I just play whatever's interesting to me.

#23 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6852 posts) -

I don’t know.

#24 Posted by SOedipus (11549 posts) -

Most of my games are M-rated. Sooo yes? The only game that really bothered me was Manhunt though. It didn’t help that I found the game boring as hell too.

#25 Posted by Robbie23 (381 posts) -

Remember when Conkers bad fur day was released?

I would say the content was pretty intense for its time, haha.

#26 Edited by sakaiXx (5926 posts) -

Persona 3 used to be so edgy with the whole shooting gun at own head to summon persona and end of the world theme. Glad persona 4&5 mainstream appeal makes this series normal now.

#27 Posted by jg4xchamp (61742 posts) -

Sure, to a point. Devil May Cry can be edgy, but it's also wholesome n cheesy in the best fucking way. On the flip side the reboot was straight up all edge, and fucking lame for it.

#28 Edited by sonny2dap (1537 posts) -

This really depends on your definition of "edgy" the presence of nudity or profanity doesn't make something "edgy", take the likes of Saint Row and GTA, full of over the top content but it's parody you can enjoy it or not but wouldn't call it "edgy", the airport sequence from MW2 is played straight even though it's very action film there is a point being made there about the involvement of intelligence services in terror activities which is arguably more "edgy" than dropping an "f" bomb.

I'd argue RPG's tend to tackle more mature themes in general, in Kotor 2 there was a whole sub plot about corporate corruption and overreach, The Witcher has touched on a range of issues not least of which was spousal abuse, Dragon Age has dealt with bigotry, Mass effects initial premise is started in part due to political intrigue and the inter species competition for prestige, to me that's what I would consider more "mature" content, not the odd nipple or bit of bad language.

#29 Edited by warmblur (2806 posts) -

I like games that feel like a good rated R movie so alot of Rockstar games come to mind. I don't think edginess is the right word mature is probably better when I think of edginess I think of cringy teenagers.

#30 Edited by BassMan (10572 posts) -

Very little offends me. So, yes, I like edgy games. I like games that keep it real and have dialogue that represents the way people talk and not some politically correct bullshit. I am all for violence, course language, and nudity in games. :)

#31 Posted by lundy86_4 (53643 posts) -

I like games that appeal to me. "Edgy" changes with the wind, and it's not something i'd typically tie-down to an arbitrary genre/game.

#32 Posted by npiet1 (2476 posts) -

https://jesusstrikesback.com/ has pissed off a lot of people, obviously it's their selling point.

The most edge game I remember was team buddies on ps1. Dad got it for me because he looked at the gameplay and not the rating lol. Its a standard 3d platformer shooter, that looks like it was made for kids. They just say the most f'ed up shit for the time and the game is about colour supremacy. Like "I'm going to F your sister". Apparently the US version was toned downed.

#33 Posted by nethernova (5702 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

@ghosts4ever: I'm surprised that nudity and language bothers you in games.

He's a zealot who hates and fears women's bodies.

#34 Posted by pook99 (882 posts) -

Depends on how its handled, I'm never offended by games but games that try too hard to be edgy usually just come off as feeling forced and corny. I prefer games that either try and use their violence to tell some kind of story(stuff like the last of us) or games that are just so over the top that you can't take it seriously and just enjoy it for the stupidity it brings (stuff like Madoworld on wii and bulletstorm)

#35 Posted by ProtossRushX (5635 posts) -

I can't stand edgy games, reminds me of Sunset Overdrive it was trying to be edgy an crap yuck

#36 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

Publishers dont allow edgy games. They dont want to risk sales. Everything mentioned thus far is not edgy.

#37 Posted by clone01 (27527 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Are you even 18 yet

come on my friend, im in late 20s reaching 30 soon.

edgy stuff in games mostly apeal to 20 yo kids.

wow, so you're mentally 12. congrats.

#38 Edited by madsnakehhh (16426 posts) -

I like fun games.

#39 Posted by Raining51 (1144 posts) -

No

#40 Edited by Ten_Pints (3878 posts) -

Swearing and nudity is edgy? Do you have a girlfriend?

Games were you can murder kids, stab prostitutes and rape animals or any combination of those is edgy content.

#41 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

@ten_pints:

No thats just R-rated.

#42 Posted by Ten_Pints (3878 posts) -
@heirren said:

@ten_pints:

No thats just R-rated.

Well ****, what do you have to do to be edgy then?

#43 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

@ten_pints:

Answering would probably go against this sites code of conduct.

All the stuff you mentioned....already in games dating back over ten years. Mortal Kombat was edgy when it came out. GTA was edgy. These games pushed the boundaries as to what was acceptable to be in a game. Now its everywhere; no longer edgy.

Id answer but people these days are so sensitive its ridiculous.

#44 Posted by WickedMuffin (71 posts) -

I don't think that nudity and swearing could bother me when I'm playing the game

Avatar image for thirty8_special
#45 Posted by Thirty8_Special (36 posts) -

As long as the game is good I could care less. I dont see the point of placing my personal beliefs, feelings, opinions in a game because I'm just one person and a gaming company is trying to entertain millions.

#46 Edited by Jag85 (13596 posts) -

@ten_pints: I hate to sound like those old parents complaining about video game violence back in the '90s... But they were right all along. Modern video games really have become extremely graphic mass-murder simulators. And usually, the more extremely violent they get, the more shitty the gameplay gets.

#47 Posted by Heirren (2236 posts) -

When do we think the first edging game will come to PSVR?