Do you like chromatic abberation? (Help compile a list of games that have it.)

#1 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1321 posts) -

I'm wondering because it's in every other game now. I feel like these devs wouldn't cover their games in vaseline if a big number of their customers didn't want them to. But maybe I give them too much credit.

There's no way I'm gonna be able to remember all the ones I played, but some examples:

• Devil May Cry 5
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Little Nightmares
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Bloodborne
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2

I want a list, just to show how prevalent it is. You see it in every other game. Makes owning a multiplatform game on PC a little more appealing. You can turn it off. Sometimes you have to mess with the files, though.

#2 Posted by Fedor (4329 posts) -

Nope, its ugly. I just turn it off. Same with any motion blur and any heavy dof.

#3 Posted by XVision84 (15602 posts) -

Sometimes. If it's a slight effect it can look awesome. Thought it was great in bloodborne. Other times it's way over done and looks blekh.

#4 Posted by Litchie (23495 posts) -

I've no idea what its' purpose is. I turn it off whenever I can.

@XVision84: How is it great in Bloodborne? Looks horrible, imo.

#5 Posted by DrLostRib (4738 posts) -

Nope, one of the first things I turn off along with film grain and vignetting if those are available as well. Also, motion blur and DOF probably get turned down or off depending how they're implemented

#6 Posted by AJStyles (643 posts) -

I don’t understand the purpose of motion blur. I thought it was supposed to help people feel less sick?

When the screen looks blurry with those filters, I feel worse lol.

Maybe it’s just me?

#7 Posted by XVision84 (15602 posts) -

@Litchie: I thought it suited the dark aesthetic. I feel that way about film grain tbh. No idea why they add those annoying sprinkles into movies/games. Just gimme a clear image :(.

#8 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10317 posts) -

I saw Anthem on the Pro has it but it can be turned off.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30529 posts) -
  1. Start game
  2. Go into options menu
  3. Turn off Chrom. Aberration, motion blur, depth of field, lens flares and every other post processing effect
  4. Play game
#10 Posted by DaVillain- (35548 posts) -

I read somewhere that you see the effects of chromatic abberation all the time if you wear glasses, so if you do you, you might have trouble noticing it. I don't wear glasses by the way.

These are the PC settings I turn off:

• Motion blur
  • Chromatic abberation
  • Depth of Field (depending on how the game handles it, I did leave it on for RE2)
  • Film grain (can work on some occasions, but I still think it's a bit lazy way to create a mood)
  • Bloom

#11 Posted by schu (10036 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I read somewhere that you see the effects of chromatic abberation all the time if you wear glasses, so if you do you, you might have trouble noticing it. I don't wear glasses by the way.

• Motion blur
  • Chromatic abberation
  • Depth of Field (depending on how the game handles it, I did leave it on for RE2)
  • Film grain (can work on some occasions, but I still think it's a bit lazy way to create a mood)
  • Bloom

Bloom can work some of the time. I actually thought it was well implemented in RE2

#12 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25142 posts) -

I always turn off chromatic Aberration and Film grain. Film grain is by far the worst of them. Chromatic Aberration I sometimes don't notice in games, but film grain I always do.

#13 Posted by Robbie23 (281 posts) -

It looked good in Layers of fear and the observer. If anything I really hate motion blur.

#14 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1186 posts) -

I hate it.

Crysis 3 had that I think, and it was horrible. RE2 remake also has it, but I barely see it when it's turned on.

#15 Edited by madrocketeer (6191 posts) -

I hate it. Blurry, colour-distorting crap. Always turn it off as one of the first things I do when I first start a game.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (32261 posts) -

Depends how it's used. In general, doesn't bother me. Like it in RE2.

#17 Posted by PC_Rocks (1908 posts) -

It's one of the settings I always turn it off. I don't like things that impacts IQ. Following are the things I immediately turn off:

Chromatic abberation

Film Grain

Motion Blur

DoF

#18 Posted by osan0 (15358 posts) -

i generally turn it off though i dont really notice it.

it seems like one of those little effects someone conjoured up for a research paper then devs saw it and got the intern to implement it as their little pet project. if they dont get it ready by launch then its not critical to the game. i think some developer are taking the notion of "camera" a little to literally.

chromatic abberation, DOF, motion blur and film grain generally get the boot from me.

#19 Posted by Epak_ (10619 posts) -

If the effect is subtle I don't mind it. Usually keep motion blur (especially per object motion blur, awesome) and DoF enabled for the added realism. Don't see the point of film grain.

#20 Posted by xantufrog (11024 posts) -

I feel like I've left it in for some games where it looked "right" for the aesthetic. But I can't remember which ones. I pretty much always turn it off (along with other crap like vignetting and motion blur)

#21 Edited by Yams1980 (3372 posts) -

Only thing i like about chromatic abomination is when they give you a simple way to disable it permanently.

Motion blur, depth of field and film grain are cancer also.

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30529 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I always turn off chromatic Aberration and Film grain. Film grain is by far the worst of them. Chromatic Aberration I sometimes don't notice in games, but film grain I always do.

Chrom. aberration makes games look washed out and messes with the colours.

In Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 for example you couldn't turn it off and it was definitely noticable.

The game would look a lot better if there was no chrom. aberration. Because I actually think this game looks great... but the post processing effect definitely hurts the visuals.

#23 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1321 posts) -

@schu said:
@davillain- said:

• Motion blur
  • Chromatic abberation
  • Bloom

Bloom can work some of the time. I actually thought it was well implemented in RE2

Yeah, I don't get why anyone would turn off bloom as a rule. I agree, it looks good in RE2.

#24 Edited by warmblur (1978 posts) -

@fedor said:

Nope, its ugly. I just turn it off. Same with any motion blur and any heavy dof.

Same also on a side note I never seen bloom in any game as bad as Syndicate 2012

Loading Video...

#25 Edited by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

I think it's a good effect for the corners of the screen. But I wouldn't like it for the whole screen... unless it suits the atmosphere (like survival horror).

#26 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43569 posts) -

Less is more, in my opinion.

Developers often use these "enhancements" to hide flaws in their games, too.

@R4gn4r0k said:
  1. Start game
  2. Go into options menu
  3. Turn off Chrom. Aberration, motion blur, depth of field, lens flares and every other post processing effect
  4. Play game

Pretty much this.

Anyone remember the "Battlefield Unfiltered" scandal? It was pretty neat when someone edited the game files for BF4 (or was it 3?) and the game looked both stunning and terrible.

#27 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25142 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah, I do notice it in many games, but there are a few where it didn't make much of a difference. Mass Effect Andromeda, for instance, I didn't even know if it was on or off until I actually checked.

#28 Posted by Chutebox (44381 posts) -

So, my question is, why would anyone want that?

#29 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30529 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Less is more, in my opinion.

Developers often use these "enhancements" to hide flaws in their games, too.

@R4gn4r0k said:
  1. Start game
  2. Go into options menu
  4. Play game

Pretty much this.

Anyone remember the "Battlefield Unfiltered" scandal? It was pretty neat when someone edited the game files for BF4 (or was it 3?) and the game looked both stunning and terrible.

I love it when they messed with the colors in Battlefield 3:

Loading Video...

#30 Posted by Ten_Pints (3713 posts) -

No.

#31 Posted by schu (10036 posts) -

@warmblur said:
@fedor said:

Same also on a side note I never seen bloom in any game as bad as Syndicate 2012

Loading Video...

I absolutely agree that there are many terrible implementations of bloom, but not all are bad. Some actually work really well. RE2 being one of them.

#32 Posted by dagubot (1215 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
  1. Start game
  2. Go into options menu
  4. Play game

What my buddy says right here is the truth!

I also love using Reshade on my single-player titles.

#33 Posted by NoodleFighter (10082 posts) -

Wow a lot of people dislike film grain. I haven't really encountered many games with film grain the only ones I've encountered it with are Killing Floor and DOOM 2016 and I actually like the grainy look it gives. Makes me feel like I'm in a horror movie.

#34 Edited by BassMan (9901 posts) -

CA is shit and should only be used for specific cases like underwater or if you have been shocked/injured, etc. It should never be present in regular gameplay. It blows my mind how developers poorly implement it in their games. It's like they have no sense for quality.

#35 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1186 posts) -
@NoodleFighter said:

Wow a lot of people dislike film grain. I haven't really encountered many games with film grain the only ones I've encountered it with are Killing Floor and DOOM 2016 and I actually like the grainy look it gives. Makes me feel like I'm in a horror movie.

All in all, it's still in the person's taste if he wants it or not. Beauty of PC gaming is you can turn them off on most games. Most people dislike Motion blur, I like it if it's implemented properly, ie, per object motion blur, etc. You get the picture.

#36 Posted by Heirren (801 posts) -

It aint nearly as obnoxious as full screen blur in racing games. Once metal gear solid brought that to its cutscenes, it seemed every title in the next gen was doing it whenever they could get away with it.