Do you like art games? What do you consider an art game?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Do you like art games? What do you consider an art game? (28 votes)

Yes 61%
No 39%

I consider games like Journey, Inside, Brothers, and Shadow of the Colossus to be art games. Having 'played' Death Stranding a few hours, it seems like this game is leaning towards art game too. Like, major block buster art game lol. I consider an art game to be an interactive experience where the focus isn't so much about the objective, but the experience. It's not so much about winning or mechanics, but rather the story it's trying to tell and how that story makes you feel. Does that make sense? Probably not lol. But what do you think, SW? Do you like art games? How would you define one? I would say I'm ok with them when done right.

• 
jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2755 Posts

I did a whole thread a couple weeks ago regarding art in video games: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/remember-when-the-late-roger-ebert-said-video-game-33472819/

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts
@jaydan said:

I did a whole thread a couple weeks ago regarding art in video games: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/remember-when-the-late-roger-ebert-said-video-game-33472819/

My question is not so much about whether games are considered art, but rather games that are focused on creating art. Does that clarify?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2754 Posts

Art - the new DC for 'shitty/broken/non-games'. If this is art then I hate 'Art'.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2755 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:

My question is not so much about whether games are considered art, but rather games that are focused on creating art. Does that clarify?

I do embrace the art in video games, but I'll never use it as an excuse to justify a game that runs poorly.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15501 Posts

I'm not against them in principal or anything as long as its well done. I liked dear esther for example, though i dont consider it a game but more an interesting use of gaming tech in a non gaming use case. that's not a criticism from me, just an observation. its cool to see what else tech derived from gaming can do.

But calling it an art game does does not excuse it from being mechanically sloppy (looking at you SOTC) and long cutscenese are a no no. if anything long cutscenes are a diservice to the idea of games as art.

also dont get me started on quantic dream.

movies have the idea of "show, dont tell". games should follow the notion of "play, don't show".

to really make games shine though its not art that devs should focus on but craftsmanship.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5346 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

I love artistic games. But I don't feel like they are worth the same price as full games. Games to be worth the full admission price should at least be fun to some extent. That's how I see it. So knowing this about Death Stranding, I'll wait for a price drop.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44953 Posts

I would not consider death stranding or colossus art games.

That being said, I do not care for "art" games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37021 Posts

People have this preconceived notion of what art is in certain mediums. My favorite mediums would be books and film. The novel The Fall of Reach isn’t a work of art yet Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, the Great Gatsby and Of Mice and Men are.

Hobbs and Shaw, Avengers Endgame arent works of art but I dare say the first Jaws, Rosemary’s Baby and Taxi Driver are.

The thing is these weren’t considered art in order to explain away negative reactions to them. This topic of an “art” game seems to be more on the tongue with the release of Death Stranding and it’s being used as an excuse for why it is Kojimans lowest received in a long time. That imo is bitch shit.

As an acting teacher once told me, “love the art in you, not yourself in the art”.

The goal isn’t to create “art”. The passion is to create for the artist. Not to define his creation as “art” so as to justify others not “getting it”. Kojima is being a crybaby and some fangirls are too.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7504 Posts

What makes a game an art game?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20760 Posts

As long as the gameplay is there, then yes. NiGHTS into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon are my two favorite examples of what I'd consider art.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36347 Posts

@pelvist said:

What makes a game an art game?

Whiffing of self-important shit with begrudgingly implemented gameplay.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6997 Posts

Was about click no but you put Shadow of the colossus in your description. By that definition yes i do enjoy some art games.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23698 Posts

All games are art.

The best games are the best examples of the gaming art form. I'd put Super Mario Galaxy or Portal alongside the best examples of film or literature, no doubt.

Some people use the term "art game" as a sloppy pejorative way to describe games that try to do anything different or unintuitive or go against the flow in any way. IE literally anything that isn't a generic, violent, hero's journey power fantasy with ever bigger and shinier weapons and worshipful NPCs flinging themselves at the players feet. Needless to say, gaming can and should be a million times more varied than that ;)

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3516 Posts

Does the original Mirrors Edge count? it had a pretty unique art direction.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79511 Posts

The first thing that came to mind when you said "art game" was Shadow of the Colossus, and low and behold, you mentioned it. For me, an art game is any game that elicits true emotion and thought, not just "wow, look at me blow shit up!". It needs to have a lasting effect on you after you finish the game, not just be remembered for how fun it was. I believe Shadow of the Colossus fits that bill, even with the argument being made that it wasn't much "fun". I mean, I love that game to death, but I can easily see people making that argument.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28963 Posts

Sure I can enjoy an art game but I won’t necessarily enjoy it simply because it’s an art game. Journey doesn’t appeal to me and Shadow of the Colossus was something that I just found more frustrating then enjoyable. Something like Death Stranding though looks absolutely fantastic to me.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2089 Posts

Ask the French people. I heard they like art games.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 4691 Posts

I voted no. I like games with great gameplay that have artistic flair, that doesn't make them 'art games'.

Death Stranding isn't a work of art, it's a great game. The story is surreal and there is pretentiousness aplenty and I'm okay with that but only because the gameplay is really strong. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't got past the first few chapters of the game which admittedly are not a great introduction to the overall experience.

So yeah, art for arts sake specially in videogames does nothing for me at all but it can brighten things up if there is strong gameplay attached to it.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2672 Posts

no.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13505 Posts

This guy put the F in art, as anyone who considers gaming to be art can suck on one lol

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks

@osan0 said:

I'm not against them in principal or anything as long as its well done. I liked dear esther for example, though i dont consider it a game but more an interesting use of gaming tech in a non gaming use case. that's not a criticism from me, just an observation. its cool to see what else tech derived from gaming can do.

But calling it an art game does does not excuse it from being mechanically sloppy (looking at you SOTC) and long cutscenese are a no no. if anything long cutscenes are a diservice to the idea of games as art.

movies have the idea of "show, dont tell". games should follow the notion of "play, don't show".

to really make games shine though its not art that devs should focus on but craftsmanship.

This, so much this. Anyone who tries to justify 'teh art or passive elements over gameplay' should know what medium he's talking about.'

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44967 Posts

Depends.

A lot of artistic material out there is created solely for the sake of being artistic, without any tangible purpose. This might be fine for a painting or something you can just look at or listen to.

With games, however, the experience it offers matters. So to me if the game is artistic but otherwise lacks any sort of purpose, message, or experience, I don't like it.

If the game is artistic and still offers a game-like experience, then chances are I will like it.

The way I see it, you have laborers, craftsman, and artists.

• People that make movies and paint pictures and create music are artists.
  • People that make delicious food, create wonderful wine and beer and whisky, and people that makes video games...they are craftsman.
  • Folks that pour cement, build homes, wash dishes, and so on, are laborers.

Obviously there can be some crossover, but I think a video game developer should stick to being a craftsman. The product is more important than the art.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19521 Posts

Something like Gorogoa comes to mind. Great game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5586 Posts

@pc_rocks: Shhh...adults are talking.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13915 Posts

I like visual novels and adventure games. They don't really call themselves "art games", yet VNs and ADVs are the best examples of "interactive art", having been around since the dawn of video games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks

@vfighter said:

@pc_rocks: Shhh...adults are talking.

Exactly, so what are you doing here?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 6958 Posts

the beginning of hellblade with all the 3d voices and swirling psychosis imagery was very artistic. i didn't get much further than that so can't comment on whether the rest of the game continues in that fashion.

i liked the oriental cell shadey look and feel of aragami. it's got gorgeously understated aesthetics. although maybe more art style and direction than a piece of art per se

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5346 Posts

@warmblur:

Mirrors Edge is actually very artistic. Especially the first one. There was alot of strong color hues and a weird, quiet atmosphere about it. It was like, peaceful at times when you're alone but then that breaks once you're being chased. I think it should count.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3516 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@warmblur:

Mirrors Edge is actually very artistic. Especially the first one. There was alot of strong color hues and a weird, quiet atmosphere about it. It was like, peaceful at times when you're alone but then that breaks once you're being chased. I think it should count.

Yep, it's one of my favorite games of all time the atmosphere is amazing.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8783 Posts

Every game is art. Every single game. Even if it is trying its hardest not to be.

Even head-to-head fighting games. There is a culture surrounding the games for a reason: you're essentially using an instrument (a video game controller) against another person.

This same thing happens with sports, although sports are unfortunately promoted with anti-intellectualism most of the time. It doesn't need to be that way, it's just the current state of society.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cainetao11

@pc_rocks said:
@osan0 said:

This, so much this. Anyone who tries to justify 'teh art or passive elements over gameplay' should know what medium he's talking about.'

I concur. "Show, don't tell" is an acting axiom. In 3 years of study we were always told, "do not be a talking head". Be active in the scene. That has been broadened to the direction for film.

I say often if gameplay is a tacked on element then it isn't a game, Quantic Dream, Tell Tale, Life is Strange, Until Yawn etc.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cainetao11
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@warmblur:

Yeah I can see that. I really liked the presentation of that game.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1321 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I have no idea what this is asking. All games are art, soooo?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#34 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13915 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: I'm not really comfortable with the idea of lumping art and sports together like that. There's a thin line between art and sport. For example, dancing and martial arts can be arts, yet dancing competitions and combat sports are sports. If there is a competitive element, then that to me is a sport, rather than an art.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24678 Posts

@cainetao11: I have to say man.. I went into Death Stranding expecting to be disappointed, and it's actually a lot better than I expected. Did you try it?

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 429 Posts

My favorite Art game is mario paint.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cainetao11

@SolidGame_basic said:

@cainetao11: I have to say man.. I went into Death Stranding expecting to be disappointed, and it's actually a lot better than I expected. Did you try it?

Im not paying $60 for that. I'm not paying more than $15

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19415 Posts

These are probably my favorite games of the generation so far.

• Death Stranding - now playing
  • God of War
  • Bloodborne
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Last Guardian
  • Uncharted 4
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Spider-Man
  • Yakuza 0
  • Until Dawn
  • The Evil Within
  • Nioh
  • Nier Automata

I guess all of the Sony published games are art games and shouldn't be enjoyed as much as the non-art games , lol.