Do you favor offense or defense when playing a video game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

Be it a RPG, Action, Adventure, Racer, Beat-em-Up or Shooter game, do you find yourself being a:

Offensive-Type: 

• progress without hesitation
  • often undermines the opponents ability
  • favors overwhelming opponents with power and speed
  • prefer to take the "get them before they get me approach"

Defensive-Type: 

• takes a cautionary approach while progressing
  • often sees new opponents as equal or greater to your ability
  • sees having a balance in stats as crucial to staying in the game
  • more likely to utilize the most effective skill for a particular opponent(s)

I know at times some of these characteristics cross over between the two, but which type do you find yourself becoming more of whilst gaming?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
Well depending on the game but when it comes to RPG's or MMO's im definatly deffence, i like to focus on stradegy more than brute strength.
Avatar image for blueflare_basic
blueflare_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blueflare_basic
Member since 2002 • 333 Posts
yeah kind of depends on the game but i know when it comes to rts its defense all the way
Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts

RUSH RUSH RUSH.

Make them fear, make them juggle their weapons in surprize, BE WITHIN 5 FEET OF THEM BEFORE THEY EVEN SEE YOU.

:3

D: I dislike people that camp.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15991 Posts

Depends on the game I guess..

-For Halo 2: offense (obviously)

RPGs like FF12, Oblivion- Defensive

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
The best defense is the offense.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Be it a RPG, Action, Adventure, Racer, Beat-em-Up or Shooter game, do you find yourself being a:

Offensive-Type: 

• progress without hesitation
  • often undermines the opponents ability
  • favors overwhelming opponents with power and speed
  • prefer to take the "get them before they get me approach"

Defensive-Type: 

• takes a cautionary approach while progressing
  • often sees new opponents as equal or greater to your ability
  • sees having a balance in stats as crucial to staying in the game
  • more likely to utilize the most effective skill for a particular opponent(s)

I know at times some of these characteristics cross over between the two, but which type do you find yourself becoming more of whilst gaming?

DementedDragon
Probably a bit more on the defensive side.
Sovereign727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sovereign727
Member since 2006 • 673 Posts
Depends on the game really, and the situation. Also whether im in an agressive mood or not. Well in the games im playing atm: WoW - Depends if I think I can win/feel like a fight Company of Heroes - Usually offense..Like to harrass a lot, can psche the other player out and make him feel overwhelmed. Counter Strike Source: Defensive on CT, Offense on T, thats how the games meant to be played Medievil Total War: Offense, I want those cities, damn it! Supreme Commander - Defensive, not really confident with that game What i've noticed in my experience of multiplayer gaming is the good players are generally the agressive ones because they have the skill to pull it off if they barge into a bad situation, and being offensive generally means your confident. On the other hand you do get a lot of stupid/impatient offensive players.
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

Anything with a gun im all about offense. Halo theres no cover, theres no run away, im in yo face ready to blast. I guess thats why i get owned in gears. im not here to duck and wait for u. im ready to go rip u to shreads with teh chainsaw. maybe i need to rethink my strat.

But in Rpg's i usually lvl for about 2 hours before i do anything in the game and usually read into all the spells so i can know how to defeat all the enemies. so i guess you could say im defensive in that sense.

Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts
Panzer_Zwei
Get your quotes straight, "The Best Defense is an offense". Oh and I am mixed depending on my mood and how I feel like playing that particular day. But, moreover I play defensively since I like to try and build a huge army and walls, and wait, then counter-attack, which where the quote above comes into play, and usually I win, but you never know.
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
depends on the game .. and i sometimes change the style too like in MGS3, i was at a slow part where i was just sneaking around too much .. so i decided to rush through gunning everyone down .. it was great
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
    Defense wins championships. Well unless you are the Bears against the Colts. But even on offense I play defensive. The whole point of team games is to ensure high survival rates. Being hasty and jumping into combat without first devising a plan is stupid. Most games I play I read, react, then use natural reflex. I don't know why but I've also had a nack for anything that requires reading through stategies and devising/thinking on the fly. That's why I partically love 2-D side scrollers with tons of action. I don't like SHMUPS though. We play CoD for PC on LAN with up to 30 people and its no coincidence that my team always wins. Great tactics can really make up for a lack of skill.

The object in most games is not to die so why not play more defensive? Even in sport games the best way to win is to be good on defense. Take me for instance. Basic stategy in Madden. Score, prevent them from scoring, then pound the rock. If they stop the run then you can't win simple as that. You could be the best at every other aspect of the game. But if you can' stop the run you can't win.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 klactose
Member since 2003 • 1167 Posts

In shooters I'm generally more offensive natured. That is more of a twitch response thing and I think I can catch more people offgaurd or simply think faster than most in those types of games. In RPG and MMOG style games I'm a powermonger... I take my time to find out what the best equipment/abilities/skills/spells/etc are then I go about obtaining and equiping them. THEN I go bumrush... but by then the bumrushing is coming because I've silenced or rooted my opponent to the ground and can dispatch of them in the manner of my choosing =)

Edit: In Fighters, it just depends on my opponents skill. Usually a mixture of both.

Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
I don't really favor one or the other while I'm playing the game.  Most games usually reequire a pretty good balance between them.  I definately enjoy offense more though.
Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts
It really depends on the situation. In CoD1/2 Im usually on the offensive and hope my team is good on defense to hold off the enemy while I sneak behind their lines and rape them to death. In fighting games, its wise to have a combination of both. Like in SFIII:3S (goes for other fighters too), you should never just jump in and attack with no care in the world cause you'll just get whipped by anyone with just mild experience in the game. You have to play a little defensive and observe your opponents tactics and habits and exploit them when the time is right.
th2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 th2
Member since 2004 • 4099 Posts
If its an RPG im more defensive, But anything else offensive.
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts
RPGs = defensive
Action games = offensive
game_fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 game_fanatic
Member since 2006 • 2883 Posts
i'm and offensive gamer, except i don't push forward without hesitation, i will be cautious.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Both. In CSS, if there is a good opportunity to rush, i'd be offensive. If the team is not doing so well and you are left on your own, i become more defensive (walking and slower progression).
BaconBallz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BaconBallz1337
Member since 2006 • 3017 Posts
Bit of both...
HatFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HatFried
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
At first I was a pretty offensive person, but now I've slowly turned more defensive. Defense works surprisingly well in the twitch FPSs I usually play.
dawso0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dawso0n
Member since 2005 • 1767 Posts

RUSH RUSH RUSH.

Make them fear, make them juggle their weapons in surprize, BE WITHIN 5 FEET OF THEM BEFORE THEY EVEN SEE YOU.

:3

D: I dislike people that camp.

mushroomscout89

yes wait, wait until hes in range thats it you come to me without knowing wghats next WHACK ur gone all because you didnt take your time to analiyse the situation. this applys to most games except raceing games. and i dont camp on halo! but and still aware of my surroundings

Edziscs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Edziscs
Member since 2006 • 444 Posts
Panzer_Zwei
I wanted to say the same thing
Avatar image for SockPuppetHyren