Do you consider Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines (PC) easily amongst TOP 5 PC rpg's of all time?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Yup. Highly Addicting,Replayable with all the Vamipre Clans.Of the game bame breaking bug, patch (official/unofficial) fixes it.

Do you consider Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines (PC) easily amongst TOP 5 PC rpg's of all time?

Well?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

No, too many bugs and issues. Still great tho.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@fedor said:

No, too many bugs and issues. Still great tho.

Nope. Not anymore. Finished it twice recently without running into a single glitch. Got it from GOG. GOG version is fully patched and ready to go.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#4 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

**** yes. One of the greatest games ever made.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

I played it when it was really wonky. Played it after patches, but it still felt unfinished. I'd say it had the potential to be one of the best RPGs, but it was too unpolished for me. I might try out the GoG version now that you dudes mention it.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Litchie nailed it imo! The haunted mansion is the most scarier experience I ever had in a game! So yeah Looots of potential that was executed horribly!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

i must try it again. its been years since i played it. at the time though, even with the unoffocial patch (at that time), it was still very rough. fair play to the people working on it though.

if it was released in a finished state i think it had the potential to be quite possibly the best game ever made....kicking deus ex off the top spot. i'm not big into the whole vampire thing but i could still see there was an amazing game in there.

alas it was released in a broken state.

Sideer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sideer
Member since 2018 • 29 Posts

Definitely positive. It was a very uniquely executed game for that year, did not see many games after, that could replicate the experience of the city and the sewers. Gloomy and shadow-industrial corners of the city also the collectibles and the mysteriousness really captured us back then. I could name a couple other classics like that, but the list is very short for the ones you would actually want to come back and replay after decades. This game is one of them you would want to replay

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14837 Posts

Absolutely not, its an 8 out of 10 RPG

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

It's definitely in the top 10. Top 5 is a little tricky, since the game isn't perfect - the combat is a bit wonky, the later segments of the game are less polished, and so on.

Still, the game is absolutely brilliant. I've lost count of the number of times that I replayed it (at least once with every clan, 3+ times with my favourite clans).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Not perfect. Unbalanced. Combat is pretty horrible. It was also rushed out the door.

Writing? Characters? Gameworld? Story? 10/10 absolutely shits over anything Bioware.

So yea, ignoring mechanical flaws, when it comes to "role playing", it's one of the best, no doubt.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Sadly, I got into it far too late. Couldn't make it far due to the nigh-on-garbage gameplay (nowadays.) I really want to try again, because I hear the story and RPG elements are just top-notch.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

A fantastic game, the bugs were definitely an issue but those are long gone these days.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

This was the game that was in such dire shape at release that the resulting poor sales finally drove Troika into bankruptcy. It had lots of potential, but it was rushed out the door unfinished, and even a sizeable post-release patch still left way too many bugs.

Still, if the GoG version really is polished to the state it should have been at release then it might be worth checking out. I assume it uses the unofficial community patch that was developed by fans?

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

That’s one of those games that has sit in my Steam Library for years never touched.

I need to play it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dzimm

Interesting bit of trivia, but this was the first game outside of Valve to use the Source engine. In fact, it was in development before Half-Life 2 was released but had to be released after because of contractual obligations -- Valve naturally wanted to be the first developer to showcase their brand new new engine.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Never played that game but I recently finished Vampyr and loved it overall.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

@dzimm: Ehh...the game wasn't awful at release.

The biggest issue was a game-breaking bug right near the end of the game (involving the bomb timer with the vampire hunters), but everything else was playable and quite well received, iirc.

You're right about it not making much money though. It was an instant cult classic, but being a Steam-exclusive in 2004 probably hurt it a little.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Its still awesome game in many ways. The atmosphere, for example, is just amazing.

But I do find the game world in it really tiny these days, and for that reason cannot rate it that high. If the 'levels' were larger, with lot more buildings for you to explore, then it would be totally awesome.

Same with the original Deus Ex. Used to love it, but now it feels just so small scale..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Played it once. Played like genuine shit. Stopped playing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Not perfect. Unbalanced. Combat is pretty horrible. It was also rushed out the door.

Writing? Characters? Gameworld? Story? 10/10 absolutely shits over anything Bioware.

So yea, ignoring mechanical flaws, when it comes to "role playing", it's one of the best, no doubt.

It appears that bad gameplay and horrible combat has been norm in RPG games. not new.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It does some things really good and has a lot of issues. It's a great game, but it wouldn't even make it into my top 20 rpgs

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't understand why we haven't seen another game like that. There is a LOT of money to be made there. I'm not sure about top 5 but it might be in my top 10. And that's excellent. I haven't played it for a long time so I would have to revisit it to see how I feel about it now.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

The start was great but the janky combat severely compromised it.

So even though the atmosphere, characters and story were top notch I couldn't rate the game that highly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It appears that bad gameplay and horrible combat has been norm in RPG games. not new.

True, however Vampires The Masquerade's is especially bad even by it's peers standards.

Ironic that Dues Ex; IW arguably had the best combat in the genre.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Maybe not top 5...but let settle for : one of the best pc rpg's ever.

Hell still have the 3 cds set to date...that's quite a-telling ^^

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

True, however Vampires The Masquerade's is especially bad even by it's peers standards.

its because many donot lable IW as RPG. just some mediocre FPS.

I just cant think of RPG with good combat.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's an RPG. Watered/stripped down but an RPG.

It's actually aged better than the original Dues Ex., and nowhere near as bad as people pontificate!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's an RPG. Watered/stripped down but an RPG.

It's actually aged better than the original Dues Ex., and nowhere near as bad as people pontificate!

STALKER is FPS with RPG elements. but more RPG than Deus Ex 2. by this logic STALKER has best combat in RPG.

Deus Ex IW is among the worst games ever.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dzimm

This thread had me curious, so I reinstalled the game for the first time in years, started it up, and holy crap on a stick did it age poorly! This has to be one of the clunkiest games I've played in a while. I know old games always seem comparatively crude relative to newer games, but this was crude even for the time it was released. I remember the cinematics being ropy, but I had forgotten how unintentionally hilarious they are to point that they defy being taken seriously, like an Ed Wood movie. Then there's the funky animations, the frequent graphics glitches, the empty streets in what is supposed to be a bustling city, and the list goes on. BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic was released a year earlier but had vastly superior production values.

There are some good ideas in there -- for instance, I really like how the dialog font and color reflect your character -- but they're unfortunately buried underneath a second-rate presentation that is hard to get past.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dzimm

@Planeforger said:

@dzimm: You're right about it not making much money though. It was an instant cult classic, but being a Steam-exclusive in 2004 probably hurt it a little.

It wasn't a Steam exclusive. I know this for a fact because I bought a physical copy at the time of release, and it's not in my Steam library.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

No, I consider it to have always been a very overrated game. Id give it a 7/10 for its time and a 5/10 by todays standards.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Na, even with bug fixes it's mechanics and production values are clunky as shit. But it is a unique and interesting RPG experience, I imagine if it was remade with a better budget and proper time in the oven, it could be an amazing title.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Definitely up there for the story and role playing elements alone, but as others have said technical issues and clunky combat hold it back. I remember boycotting it back at launch and years afterwards because Troika abandoned Temple of Elemental Evil to work on Bloodlines. And if you think Bloodlines is a buggy mess don’t even think about touching ToEE.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Hell yes I do

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dzimm

I think it's safe to say that it's the best vampire RPG ever made, but considering there have only been like three in the past decade, that's not saying much.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

It's one of those rare games I was able to play through even though I hadn't touched it until long after it's release, at a time where most people would say it was "dated".

I found it to be an incredible experience, and along with Deus Ex, it's one of the few games I always have installed on my PC because sometimes I just have to play a true classic when the current stuff is just "meh".

Community support helped a lot and, as said earlier by @Cloud_imperium, the GoG version is near-perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

BEST GAME EVER.