Do you consider DOOM 2016 to be best FPS in last 5 years?

• 87 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#51 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I have been telling people that increase the FOV and it become fast. i was playing it with default FOV at my first playthrough. during mid of i increase it and it become fast.

Hm. I'll try it out and see what happens.

It felt a little bit faster, maybe. But the stretched out edges are pretty annoying.

it took longer to get used to it. i cant play with default FOV now. as it feel too slow in comparision.

What FOV do you use? I put it at 110. Anything more made the game look seriously weird.

120 but i just increase to max that is 128 to checked it. and it feel just wierd but i will get used to it. if i replay my fourth playthrough.

120 on nightmare is amazing. feel fast, with non stop demon killing.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Nahh would probaly rate it like this:

Far Cry 5

Titanfall 2

Doom

Wolfenstein 2. First one blowed imo

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#53 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The combat model, the enemies, the weapons and arena model more than make up for its over-length and the lack of story.

Its not the best but I really enjoyed it and a lot more than I thought I would too.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts
@Wasdie said:
@x_karen_x said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

This game is just one plain. Modern shooter most is restrict to thing more suitable for controller. If pc was main platform it be less restrictive with today technology.

In what way? You've provided no examples of that. You've stated some pretty bold, and rather generalizing claims about Doom, none of which you backed with any evidence and fly in the face of the general public's opinion about the game.

So either put up, or shut up. You don't make a case by telling somebody they are wrong and making a general statement outlining your argument with no actual evidence to back it up.

Like, for instance, in what way is it designed solely for a console? The level design is reminiscentof the old Unreal and Quake single player games [pc games]. The game fully supports hotkeys and control input that is traditional in PC shooters. The gameplay itself has some modern twists [glory kills] (the melee for ammo/health, *vaulting, double jumping), but they were all implemented to remedy some of the *issues of older PC arena shooters that made them inconsistent to play. For example adding a nice risk/reward factor with the melee, while the vaulting reduced the penalty for slightly missing your jump while still putting you at a disadvantage, and the double jumping just giving you more movement options that aren't even available in those old PC shooters.

Meanwhile the difficulty was a bit easier than the older shooters on the normal level, which is consistent with all games in this day and age as oldschool games were generally a bit too punishing, but there was a variety of harder difficulties designed to challenge veteran PC gamers.

You're literally the first person I've ever seen say Doom is built for the consoles as if that somehow negates all of the positive qualities from the PC perspective.

* Vaulting and double jumping are just lowering the difficulty not adding options. Nesides. These are platforming and not FPS mechanics. If you want your jumps harder, move the platforms apart. Easier: do the opposite. Adding a jump just adds the width needed between platforms to retain the exact same gameplay.

** Not sure how platforming can be inconsistent unless the controls are buggy.

Glory kills slow down the action with animation to wait for.

The wide view angle in this version of Doom is too wide and makes me feel weird. The colour pallete is too monotone.

The overall tone is too bleak and off putting.

Oh and by the way. View movement speed is limited. Alot. You can't look around very fast on pc even with a mouse.

This is not the same as Quake or Unreal Tournament. Those games have gone now.

Loading Video...

What you said in the description is interesting. If only there is a controller with a precision of a mouse and an easy movement control with an analog stick it would be awesome. But for now, gyro aiming with a controller will do just fine. I am hoping the Switch edition will have this feature. YouTube quoter

I present (again)...

J Inc. MegaballPad (pp)
J Inc. MegaballPad (pp)

One last thing. Levels are very narrow and linear in modern Doom compared to older fps games to accommodate analogue stick gameplay but without having to design the game twice.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

As for linear FPS goes Doom 2016 is awesome but I think for me Wolfenstein the new order is better in terms of how guns feel and story combat is slightly slower place which I prefer. As for open world I'm going to have to go with Farcry 5.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Echo Combat is my favorite this generation. DOOM was really good, but it's hard to compete with VR FPS games.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Wasdie:

Pc shooter it what is for me all about using mouse. If you ever play multiplayer Unreal you know what I say. This is genre which make company release fast gaming mouse. Literally new hardware arrive because of fps genre on pc. I only play doom very briefly. Everyone say it a return to form. To me it feel somewhat like Serious Sam run on Halo Engine.

Here an example of pc and console game: Starcraft on pc and Nintendo64. It is a game made for pc it almost unplayable on other platform. If I have choice to play Starcraft on Xbox X in 4K with controller or on window98 pc in 800x600 with mouse and keyboard, I choose pc. This what I mean with doom. It designed universally for all platform. Choices take into account like most game. No way publisher to spend money to release big budget title and not say “okay guys we need to fix this area because it not work so good on control pad.” Don’t be silly. No way if tester say “hey guy this part not work so good when on DualShock” that developer do not look into issue. So much money in it they examine these things. This, it is my argument for why it universal shooter and not pc shooter.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

This is the most representative of Doom playthroughs on YT especially when playing it for the first time (aka blind). Considering WASD wasn't standard yet, I think this is the most accurate.

It's not that much faster-paced than Doom 2016 and this is on a 486DX4-100 which is significantly more powerful than the DX2-66 and DX-50 PCs at the time of Doom's release.

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I had an AMD 386DX-40 at the time of Doom's release and this is how that game played on it. I think people should cut Doom 2016 some slack if it didn't seem fast-paced enough.

Seems to me the guy on the video is using God mode. What a loser. ;)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#60 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Nah, I'd give that to Wolfenstein II. Some of the most satisfying shooting mechanics in a shooter I've played and the story was also pretty good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ghosts4ever

@princessgomez92 said:

story was also pretty good.

story was terrible. it looks like they try too hard with forced 3 hour cutscenes.

story in Doom reboot was much better even if its not focus on story.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#62  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@princessgomez92 said:

story was terrible. it looks like they try too hard with forced 3 hour cutscenes.

Hahahahaha.

Did you even play the game?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Ghosts4ever

@princessgomez92 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@princessgomez92 said:

Hahahahaha.

Did you even play the game?

played it and couldnot complete it because it was so boring and uninspired.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#64 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

New Order and New Colossus were great, but i consider DOOM 16 to be one of the best singleplayer shooters ever made.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I liked DOOM better than the Wolfenstein games.

A lot more. It's just a whole lot more fun for me.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

As far as single player story goes, gotta tip my hat to titanfall 2, really deserved more financial success.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

No I consider it the most boring one.

Level design and pacing were so awful. Just go there kill enemies go to the next are kill enemies , etc.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Most overrated shooter of the century. DOOM has no atmosphere and looks dull and last gen. Boring chore to play thru the campaign. 6/10

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#69 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
@x_karen_x said:

@Wasdie:

Pc shooter it what is for me all about using mouse. If you ever play multiplayer Unreal you know what I say. This is genre which make company release fast gaming mouse. Literally new hardware arrive because of fps genre on pc. I only play doom very briefly. Everyone say it a return to form. To me it feel somewhat like Serious Sam run on Halo Engine.

Here an example of pc and console game: Starcraft on pc and Nintendo64. It is a game made for pc it almost unplayable on other platform. If I have choice to play Starcraft on Xbox X in 4K with controller or on window98 pc in 800x600 with mouse and keyboard, I choose pc. This what I mean with doom. It designed universally for all platform. Choices take into account like most game. No way publisher to spend money to release big budget title and not say “okay guys we need to fix this area because it not work so good on control pad.” Don’t be silly. No way if tester say “hey guy this part not work so good when on DualShock” that developer do not look into issue. So much money in it they examine these things. This, it is my argument for why it universal shooter and not pc shooter.

I have played Unreal. You're still not actually backing up what you're saying.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#70 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@jackamomo:

* Vaulting and double jumping are just lowering the difficulty not adding options. Nesides. These are platforming and not FPS mechanics. If you want your jumps harder, move the platforms apart. Easier: do the opposite. Adding a jump just adds the width needed between platforms to retain the exact same gameplay.

Difficulty a PC game does not make. You're intentionally combining the difficulty of a game with its intended platform for some reason.

Also adding vaulting/double jump is fine in an FPS. The game is still played from the first person perspective and is primarily a shooter. Even the original Doom and Quake had minor platforming segments in addition to puzzles. Are you also going to say that Half-Life isn't an FPS because of its platforming segments? Also, this argument has nothing to do with "Doom is not a PC game". You're actually arguing that platforming elements don't make it an FPS despite there being plenty of PC exclusive shooters in the 90s that utilized platforming mechanics as part of their gameplay.

** Not sure how platforming can be inconsistent unless the controls are buggy.

That's not been a complaint people have and my experience is directly in contrast to that.

Glory kills slow down the action with animation to wait for.

On the contrary, they keep the action fast paced while adding a new element of risk/reward to the mix that gets even more dicey at higher difficulties.

The wide view angle in this version of Doom is too wide and makes me feel weird. The colour pallete is too monotone.

That's seems to be a personal prefernce and has nothing to do with the original topic, which I have to remind you was "Doom is not a PC game" not "do I like Doom"

The overall tone is too bleak and off putting.

This is asinine. Were you expecting a base on mars that has a portal to hell to be charming?

Oh and by the way. View movement speed is limited. Alot. You can't look around very fast on pc even with a mouse.

No it's not? This is just flat out incorrect.

This is not the same as Quake or Unreal Tournament. Those games have gone now.

Of course a game called Doom is not the same as Quake or Unreal Tournament. Exactly what does that have to do with anything, especially the topic if Doom was made for the pc or not?

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Wasdie:

How not? My take on it is when developer look at game, they look at all platform to make experience work.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jackamomo

@blueberry_bandit: it's hard to compete with VR

2001 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Gray Matter Interactive

Loading Video...

2010: Bethesda buy Machine Games and Wolfenstein rights.

2014: Wolfenstein: The New Order - Machine Games. Now it is a little over or alot over half cutscenes now.

Loading Video...

The Machine Games Wolfenstein games are classed by wikipedia as fps/action-adventure and the free Quake episode they made in 2016 as first person shooter, distinctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MachineGames

Just play Quake or something with 15 bots and grenade launchers only.

I'm think Unreal Tournament is having a new version soon...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Most overrated shooter of the century. DOOM has no atmosphere and looks dull and last gen. Boring chore to play thru the campaign. 6/10

I'd agree with this part. It's more reminiscent of Quake II's Nine Inch Nails death-metal vibe, rock and or the rolls than a menacing atmosphere.

Both Doom and Quake have that tone in large part to the lighting and sound. Hell, Quake has one of the best "horror" soundtracks even though it's not classified as a horror game.

Loading Video...

Come to think of it, i'd rather just play these games.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@jackamomo said:

@blueberry_bandit: it's hard to compete with VR

I mean, all my friends generally prefer their FPS games in VR so it's not like I'm alone with this opinion. It's hard to go back.

From what I've seen online, many people prefer the genre in VR.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@henrythefifth said:

I'd agree with this part. It's more reminiscent of Quake II's Nine Inch Nails death-metal vibe, rock and or the rolls than a menacing atmosphere.

Both Doom and Quake have that tone in large part to the lighting and sound. Hell, Quake has one of the best "horror" soundtracks even though it's not classified as a horror game.

Loading Video...

id software need to do Quake 1 reboot after they done with Doom Eternal as they wont make Doom forever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@henrythefifth said:

Loading Video...

id software need to do Quake 1 reboot after they done with Doom Eternal as they wont make Doom forever.

Drop the sci-fi of II and go full on with the medieval H.P Lovecraft, horror setting.

All aboard.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

No. While I did enjoy Doom 2016 there were other FPS games that I enjoyed more such as Halo 5, Black Ops 3, Infinite Warfare, and Titanfall 2.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#78 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I enjoyed it for the first half-two thirds but it was too repetitive. Too many encounters where they just throw all the enemy types at you and gave you ammo for all your guns. I didn't even finish it.

there are loads of FPS games i'd take over DOOM, but if i were going to limit it to singleplayer, Titanfall 2's campaign was better, and I enjoyed both Wolfenstein games more (though the shooting isn't really any better, they were better paced and more entertaining overall).

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

The New Order i enjoyed a lot, mostly for its level design. But a great shooter it is not, and DOOM made it truly apparent.

Try cranking the difficulty all the way up in both of those games.

One makes you feel like you're playing a first person Ninja Gaiden.

The other makes you play like a little bitch hugging corners because enemies melt you with hitscan weapons the second you aggro them. Great enemy design? As in bigger dudes with bigger hitscan weapons? Great weapon design? 7 hitscan weapons and hand grenades? Can i have some of what you're smoking?

Then the Old Blood came out and introduced moronic mandatory stealth.

Then The New Colossus came out and completely fucked away the level design. Or more like reverted it to how it was when Machine Games were still Starbreeze with their boring, uninspired, no-flow The Darkness and Syndicate levels.

Yeah, i guess Machine Games made one good game through dumb luck.

DOOM all the way, and it's not even close. I'd honestly rate the nonsensical Call Of Duty Ghosts campaign higher than TNC, at least it had some bright spots.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Ghosts4ever

@R10nu said:

Then The New Colossus came out and completely fucked away the level design. Or more like reverted it to how it was when Machine Games were still Starbreeze with their boring, uninspired, no-flow The Darkness and Syndicate levels.

Starbreeze create masterpiece and one of the best game ever made that is Riddick Escape from butcher bay. it was waaayyyy better than anything trash machinggames has done so far.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jackamomo

@Wasdie:

Having vault and double jump are not going to improve an fps game. Light platforming elements don't even need double jump and vault which don't even (arguably) improve platform elements anyway.

Me: Oh and by the way. View movement speed is limited. Alot. You can't look around very fast on pc even with a mouse.

You: No it's not? This is just flat out incorrect.

Yes it is! (correct) Just view the video I posted.

Below is Doom 3 which has no next to no mouse smoothing.

Now look again at a really old fps like Return to Castle Wolfenstein which has none at all.

Now back to Doom 16. There is alot of 'mouse smoothing' to stop you realising there are very few enemies to even need to move your mouse around much.

Of course a game called Doom is not the same as Quake or Unreal Tournament. Exactly what does that have to do with anything, especially the topic if Doom was made for the pc or not?

iD made Doom 3 (2004) which is nothing like Doom 1 and 2 without Romero to make it cool.

Loading Video...

I even found the first moment you fire your weapon in Doom 3 which is at 32:19 into this video when you kill a scientist, shortly followed by a guard.

That is really boring. Asking me to wait 30 minutes to fire my gun in the definitive action fps game. Imagine if it was a film asking that of me. That's like a third of the way though.

Then the game is just going along a corridor with either a torch or a gun killing baddies one by one because each enemy is so many bump mapped polygons, any more would slow the game down.

All the Bethesda Wolfenstein games are action adventure / fps games and not even straight shooters.

I couldn't care less. That is not to say Return to Castle Wolfenstein by Gray Matter is good either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 uninspiredcup

If it's designed around speed then yea, it will. 90's platforming, even in absolutely incredible masterpieces like Halflife were clunky. Partly as well because "wasd" you had the option of "move fast" and "hold shift". Which led to monotonous sections of inching along.

The only section in a game I recall it not being shit was probably the under-bridge section of Halflife 2, where the entire point was to inch along.

Quake 3 had the right idea with bounce pads, it effectively removed climbing ladders and platforming by just launching the player giving them some control where to land and allowing them to shoot at the same time. No downtime or monotony.

Vaulting and double jumping seems to just be an extension of that. Instead of set points in the map you get that lack of downtime everywhere.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@jackamomo said:

Yes it is! (correct) Just view the video I posted.

Below is Doom 3 which has no next to no mouse smoothing.

Now look again at a really old fps like Return to Castle Wolfenstein which has none at all.

Now back to Doom 16. There is alot of 'mouse smoothing' to stop you realising there are very few enemies to even need to move your mouse around much.

I don't need to watch a video to tell you you're full of shit. I've played DOOM 2016 to hell and back. It has no mouse smoothing. In fact, it has more consistent mouse input than Quake Champions.

INB4 B-but you're just didn't notice it!

I notice it and i drop entire games because of it.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#84 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I like exploring with multiple means of doing so. In fact, I spend more time wandering around the game world and enjoying the view than actual shooting. So, it's the Far Cry games 3, 4, and 5 for me.

Doom 2016 is okay. But, it doesn't have the vistas I enjoy gawking at or the various means of transportation. I'm also not a big fan of the closed boss arena. I rather have a boss NPC chase me across the level.

What I wish Doom 2016 had is a photo mode a la Far Cry 5 for beauty screenies....like the credits:

I couldn't even get through Doom. It just feels so much of the same. I really enjoyed Far Cry 5.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Not just Best FPS,

Best Shooter I played since Crysis.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Diddies

@ghosts4ever said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I found it kind of monotonous, especially the second time. I'm not excited for the sequel. But I can't even think of better shooters I played in the last five years. The genre isn't doing well.

@subspecies said:

Nah Wolfenstein doesn't touch it. That DOOM soundtrack bangs death, and that's worth the price of admission alone. Get gory, or go home. Nothing gets gory like DOOM.

That soundtrack is weak. It's bad metal. Mostly tuneless and filled with ugly dubstep noises. I sometimes played classic metal albums when I was going through my playthrough, because I was sick of listening to the game's crap.

what about the great Metro series?

its probably the best new franchise that debut in this decade. Metro exodus im expecting it to be one of the best game ever.

I am looking forward to Exodus, but I tried the first metro 2033 Redux and just couldn't get into it. I didn't try Last Light because of 2033. Is it way better than 2033?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Diddies

@x_karen_x said:

@Wasdie:

Do you English? I can't understand most of what you typed here.