Do you actually believe this Phil Spencer nonsense?

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you actually believe this Phil Spencer nonsense? (140 votes)

Yes he turned things around 61%
No he's a fake 39%

So Phil Spencer is credited for multiple things, including making Xbox better, and turning it around, to being for the gamer and such. Except this is BS and let me tell you why.

Due to multiple backfires, Xbox studios put a lot of blame on Don Mattrick. Who is incorrectly associated with some of the decisions that let to those backfires, and then carted him off. Replacing him with Spencer doing things opposite of what were considered "mistakes" and getting the people to believe he's changing the face of the company.

Don Mattrick was in charge of the whole department as a whole, however he was not the only decsion maker in the company. Mattrick is actually the man who started the 360 off. The decision to shrink down in risks, and to implement Kinect had nothing to do with Mattrick. he was there, and he approved the plans because of not only pressure, but because a good deal of people in the upper management were for it.

Look at the design of the Xbox One, not one of those were Mattricks idea. Yes he said a few dumb things, but if you watch his statements and interviews around the box One launch, and then before that you will see such an amazing contrast you would have to be blind not to notice it.

Mattrick is the one that pushed for the Indies, that was abandoned, pushed for partnerships and original ip, which for awhile they abandoned, pushed for integration, which was crippled. DRM policy, used games, features and console design of the Xbox one, Mattrick didn't lay a finger.

Phil however was involved with quite a few of these decisions, and so where a few others.

Phil Spencer is not the one that turned Xbox around, the staff that was there that weren't 100% suits, and some new people who came in when the restructuring happened are what turned Xbox around. Phil Spencer was just placed in the spot of Mattrick when all this was ALREADY going on giving Phil Spencer an image of being some kind of hero, when he has no idea what's actually happening most of the time. He still shows up during improvements to gain credit, but notice in some of his interviews and statements to fans he fumbles on a few issues.

It's all a big lie heck mattrick didn't even put in the guy who made Kinect, that was proposed by other people as well, whether you like Kinect or not, Mattrick had nothing to do with that either.

• 
davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

I don't believe a word that comes out the mans mouth, he just comes off as a desperate shady suit that will say what gamers want to hear so he can get a pass.

I believe him about as much as I believe Kaz Hirai, unlike Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata I see no real passion from him, just a smug face big wig that has the worst fanbase in gaming back him up and treating him like a saint.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Mattrick was terrible, and Spencer is making the best of a bad situation. He's performed admirably, imo, though it would be nice if he would cut the fee for Xbox Live gold.

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KingsTableWar
Member since 2015 • 75 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Mattrick was terrible, and Spencer is making the best of a bad situation. He's performed admirably, imo, though it would be nice if he would cut the fee for Xbox Live gold.

How was Mattrick terrible? This is the problem I am talking about He has done virtually nothing int erms of what people used to be complaining about before Phil "saved" xbox.

@davem1992 said:

the worst fanbase in gaming

No. But the rest of your point made sense.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Is that you Don?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

If Phil fires Major Nelson , he's ok in my book.

Can't stand the guy!

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 davem1992

@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

How was Mattrick terrible? This is the problem I am talking about He has done virtually nothing int erms of what people used to be complaining about before Phil "saved" xbox.

@davem1992 said:

What's worse than Xbox fanboys?

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KingsTableWar

@Ant_17 said:

Can't stand the guy!

MN is actually a gamer however.

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Why do you think xbox fans are the worst?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Is that you Don?

Lol sounds like it.

Anyway I think Phil is doing a great job. Just look at where Xbox is now compared to a couple of years ago.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I like Phil Spencer a lot, he is the best.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000

@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360."

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards."

He set Microsoft up to fail this gen. If the Xbone had launched for $400 and wasn't originally intended as some sort of Trojan Horse to screw the consumer, Microsoft would have had all of the momentum at launch, and they would be killing Sony right now. Every Xbone-related announcement since the departure of Mattrick has been a step in the right direction.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

Is that you Don?

Lol sounds like it.

Anyway I think Phil is doing a great job. Just look at where Xbox is now compared to a couple of years ago.

Yup Phil has done a commendable job.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 davem1992

@kingstablewar said:
@Ant_17 said:

Can't stand the guy!

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

They write off entire genres and regions just because they either don't get games from them or because they don't enjoy them.

Plus they're smug gits

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 davem1992

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, no.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

So you have no actual proof to provide regarding the things you say? Nothing but "but if you watch his statements and interviews around the box One launch, and then before that you will see such an amazing contrast you would have to be blind not to notice it." ?

"Mattrick is the one that pushed for the Indies, that was abandoned, pushed for partnerships and original ip, which for awhile they abandoned, pushed for integration, which was crippled. DRM policy, used games, features and console design of the Xbox one, Mattrick didn't lay a finger.

Phil however was involved with quite a few of these decisions, and so where a few others."

I need more than you venting like the lover of Mattrick to believe any of this. That doesn't mean I think Phil Spencer is a perfect, blame free human being. But its like sports. When the team isn't playing well, the coach gets the ax first. When they are playing well, the coach gets praised.

Give me links to actual proof that Mattrick didn't lay a finger, and links to the facts that Spencer actually did. Otherwise this is as reliable as Fox news editorial's.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@kingstablewar: I don't care if he's a Bus Driver , he's still an idiot muppet.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I think he is just the PR guy and that it!

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

That's true for every company though, they all have spokes people to capture the hearts of consumers, they are also an easy scapegoat for when things go wrong, I'm sure Phil Spencer fully understands the risks his job puts him in, though the rewards are amazing for how long the ride will last. Whether the person is passionate about games or fully believes in what he is saying doesn't matter, he/she is just being used by the larger corporation to make the consumer feel more welcomed and loved by that company.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called Xbox 360."

He set Microsoft up to fail this gen. If the Xbone had launched for $400 and wasn't originally intended as some sort of Trojan Horse to screw the consumer, Microsoft would have had all of the momentum at launch, and they would be killing Sony right now. Every Xbone-related announcement since the departure of Mattrick has been a step in the right direction.

lol kill Sony? maybe in NA only, but you do know that Xbox pretty much never have any chance worldwide against the playstation. look at last gen!

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Is this the same Don that got let go from MS and went to Zynga and did exactly what he did for MS which is nothing and got fired from there? Yeah Phil was apart of Xbox for a long time but he didn't have final say-so as to what would happen to Xbox, that was Don. He made the big decision and he stated time and time ago that his all-in-one idea was his vision for the Xbox One. When you are the captain of a team and the team fails, you're the one that gets the blame, no the person coming off the bench.

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KingsTableWar

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

No he didn't the people, include Phil Spencer, did, he made none of those decisions he was doing his job, that the upper management agree upon in consensus. He had nothing to do with the design of the next Xbox, and he had nothing to do with its price. Those were other people, including phil to an extent. You don't even realize hald the issues that were changed were under mattrick, not Phil and he was placed in the middle of them changing things not the helm.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000

@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

No he didn't the people, include Phil Spencer, did, he made none of those decisions he was doing his job, that the upper management agree upon in consensus. He had nothing to do with the design of the next Xbox, and he had nothing to do with its price. Those were other people, including phil to an extent. You don't even realize hald the issues that were changed were under mattrick, not Phil and he was placed in the middle of them changing things not the helm.

He absolutely did. Just what is it you think presidents do?

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KingsTableWar

@ni6htmare01 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

lol kill Sony? maybe in NA only, but you do know that Xbox pretty much never have any chance worldwide against the playstation. look at last gen!

Actually, why he's wrong at who to blame, they did have a chance, they virtually close to tied, and the 360 gained that with almost one country alone.

@cainetao11 said:

So you have no actual proof to provide regarding the things you say? Nothing but "but if you watch his statements and interviews around the box One launch, and then before that you will see such an amazing contrast you would have to be blind not to notice it." ?

"Mattrick is the one that pushed for the Indies, that was abandoned, pushed for partnerships and original ip, which for awhile they abandoned, pushed for integration, which was crippled. DRM policy, used games, features and console design of the Xbox one, Mattrick didn't lay a finger.

Phil however was involved with quite a few of these decisions, and so where a few others."

I need more than you venting like the lover of Mattrick to believe any of this. That doesn't mean I think Phil Spencer is a perfect, blame free human being. But its like sports. When the team isn't playing well, the coach gets the ax first. When they are playing well, the coach gets praised.

Give me links to actual proof that Mattrick didn't lay a finger, and links to the facts that Spencer actually did. Otherwise this is as reliable as Fox news editorial's.

Why do I need to prove something that's right there in front of you. The majority of changes were factually before Phil came into power. Kinect was not started by mattric either, that story is easy to find, issues is people like you ignore what's been happening because you want to belive this nonsense that everything changes only after Phil came in which is so heavily inaccurate it's nauseating.

Almost all articles on numerous things that peopel criticized about Xbox nearly none of them mention mattrick, go, or ignore the fact, once again, and I stress this because people ignore it, the biggest changes happened before Phil, including changes that were not reactionary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#24 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Don Mattrick needs to shut up and get to finishing Stunts 2 - we're been waiting a couple decades!

KingsTableWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KingsTableWar

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

All you showed me is that you ignore articles, ignore (like many) that most of the changes, including non-reactionary that had the biggest impact where before Phil was in, and you don't know how businesses work.

This is like thinking Phil was repsonsible for the Madden deal as an xbox goal, like so many fools rushed into thinking immediately when it was a Microsoft deal.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178811 Posts

No. Just like Mattrick didn't make all the negative decisions....Spencer isn't making all the positive decisions. Hell...MS split the console business under two different groups anyway. It's not all Spencer.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PurpleMan5000

Also, Mattrick didn't even join Microsoft until 2007. The Xbox 360 launched in 2005. I seem to recall the first 2-3 years of the Xbox 360 being amazing, and then the first party drying up and recycling Halo/Gears/Forza shortly after Mattrick arriving. Xbox wasn't focused on Kinect until Mattrick became president in 2010.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Phil imo is just trying to plug up the holes that Don has made and trying to reinvent the image for the Xbox One which had a really bad one at first. I don't care about what the guy is like at a personality level cause he is just doing his job and a good one at that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

All of the game company spokesmen are full of shit. It's in their job description to lie to the public.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@Ant_17 said:

Can't stand the guy!

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

They write off entire genres and regions just because they either don't get games from them or because they don't enjoy them.

Plus they're smug gits

Aww the cow is mad

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 davem1992

@RR360DD: This "cow" is playing his New 3DS XL and The World Ends With You, try again lem.

God this fanbase sucks

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I believe him, he wants money and by giving the people what they want he will make a lot of money. I feel he understands this basic concept.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@kingstablewar said:

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Sony fanboys? MOBA players? Literally any other group of myopic, close-minded individuals?

How exactly are Xbox fanboys "the worst"? Be specific, please.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 davem1992

@Bruin1986: I said how earlier, they write off entire genres and regions just cause they don't get games from them.

Xbox fanboys suck and are the bane of gaming.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Bruin1986: With all the other factions being about the same, lemmings have really been pathetic in general, ever since Microsoft's 180 before the Xbox One release. And add in its weaker capability compared to the PS4, and you see lemmings doing another 180 in their stance about power and the quality of multiplats. Suddenly it's a-ok to be play worst versions of multiplats, and lower res suddenly doesn't matter this gen, unlike the last.

They're easily the biggest victims this gen too, the way they whine about reviews and GS polls etc. "waah, the cows don't like us so they're sabotaging the poll results, waah!".

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

+1

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

Yes I do. Not at first with his words. But after things have taken a turn for the better and his public demeanor and confidence... yeah, I was won over quick. If it was "nonsense," I don't think there would be anything to believe. Clearly he has gotten popular to the point where PlayStation fanboys are scared though. Just look at these comments, lol.

@davem1992 said:

@Bruin1986: I said how earlier, they write off entire genres and regions just cause they don't get games from them.

Xbox fanboys suck and are the bane of gaming.

Why single out Xbox fanboys here? Do you not realize the point of your statement of Xbox fanboys being "the bane of gaming," is that they are fanboys, not because they are affiliated to a specific brand? Personally, I think the Nintendo brand of fanboys is a little more bothersome, but they are no better or worse than any other fanboys, including the pompous PlayStation and PC fanboys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@Cloud_imperium said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

+1

Touche on that one.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 davem1992

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

+1

Touche on that one.

course the illiterate lem would agree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@davem1992 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

Cows.

+1

Touche on that one.

course the illiterate lem would agree.

lol and you symbolize a dumb fanboy.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 davem1992

@BigShotSmoov007: fanboy of what?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

seems like a good guy to me

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@davem1992 said:

I don't believe a word that comes out the mans mouth, he just comes off as a desperate shady suit that will say what gamers want to hear so he can get a pass.

This

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

Do people believe this OP nonsense?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

look at the results, not the words.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cainetao11

@kingstablewar: You created the thread, therefore the burden of proof is on you. Anyone can say Blah blah about someone/thing/place and tell the people who read the thread to go find the articles and sources. You wrote this, back it up.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cainetao11

@davem1992 said:
@kingstablewar said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@davem1992 said:

PlayStation ones are just as bad. Stop your non sense. Show me where Xbox fanboys petitioned companies because they were making their games multiplat. The audacity of cows to try and tell a company to NOT do what a business' purpose is, grow and increase profit potential.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#49 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

I believe Phil Spencer is genuine. He knows what he is talking about and he looks at things from a gamer's perspective and not just a business point of view. However, it is a team effort and he can't take all the credit, but he is leading the charge. The biggest hurdle for XB1 is that it is not as powerful as PS4. They are both severely under-powered, but it really hurts in an era where 1080/60fps should be the standard and these consoles are failing to meet that.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6939 Posts

Mattrick was Senior VP accountable for X360 from 2007-2010 and then President of Interactive Entertainment from 2010 till he left, and reported directly to the CEO. Therefore, he was solely accountable for all X1 decisions. Numerous other persons were responsible for various subordinate things, but as the President of the division the accountability was his and his alone. You can never get away with blaming your underlings. All the good and all the bad is the accountability of the grande fromage and he deservedly wears all of it.

Spencer is now the chief of all things Xbox and he now is solely accountable for the good and the bad. And while there are always numerous people involved, the one in charge gets the glory or the boot. This is the way of big business.