Do websites like CDKeys hurt the gaming industry?

• 59 results
Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1218 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:
@magnum3000 said:

I buy games from G2A also. Hope i'm not doing anything illegal by buying cheap stuff sometimes from G2A?

The competition will tell you they're shady but I'm not convinced. You're not breaking the law, I'm pretty sure of that. No moreso than randomly buying stuff off Amazon or any other online marketplace. I'd take most of the supposed legal complaints with a huge pinch of salt.

For me, the pecking order goes: GOG/STEAM, GMG/Humble etc., Kinguin/G2A... the rest (apart from EGS).

Generally I'll go with the first four, because I want devs to get a big cut and because I don't want to be dealing with weird activation routes or blocked STEAM features, but if prices are stupid, I'll look elsewhere. No actual experience with CDKeys, only because their name sounds kind of backwater, but nothing particularly against them over G2A etc. I've bought from most of the larger sites at some point and never had any issues.

Can my games from G2A get rovked even if i activated them on Steam?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1419 Posts

@magnum3000: Not sure. I think there was a case, years back, of a bunch of Ubi keys for games sold at stupidly low prices getting revoked. It's not something I've heard about since. Your best bet if you're not sure is to check a seller's rating before buying, like on eBay or w/e.

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Magnum3000

@sancho_panzer said:

@magnum3000: Not sure. I think there was a case, years back, of a bunch of Ubi keys for games sold at stupidly low prices getting revoked. It's not something I've heard about since. Your best bet if you're not sure is to check a seller's rating before buying, like on eBay or w/e.

Ahhh! Thanks for the info :)

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1419 Posts

@magnum3000: lol, no worries. Careful out there ;)

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Magnum3000

@sancho_panzer said:

@magnum3000: lol, no worries. Careful out there ;)

I will man :)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#56 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5992 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: "Grey market" key resellers don't hurt the industry so much as they're sketchy and illegal, often dealing in "hacked" keys or keys purchased with stolen credit cards.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 1947 Posts

I only buy from sites that are 100% obviously legit such as steam, origin, epic etc.

As for prices, yes if you want certain games with all their season passes/dlc whatever, close to launch date, the prices can get a little ridiculous. That's why I generally wait for generous discounts.

But there are some games coming up soon that look so cool I might be buying day 1.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58440 Posts

Developers control the keys, so no.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 630 Posts

Like anything in life be it a product or a service you will be able to find knock-off versions and authentic versions for cheaper. Plenty of people buy fake Ryzen chips, parmesan that ain't real, or fake ass Kobe beef.