Do we still want traditional style Zelda games?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Do we still want traditional style Zelda games? (39 votes)

Yes both 59%
No, open-world, small short trails, weapon breakage, RPG stats etc.. 21%
I hated BOTW and want old Zelda back 21%

This is a question regarding the current direction change of Zelda, it's future. And other things.

No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

A cinematic 8 hour movie game zelda.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I love both so I’m good with either/or, hop between the two, or some kind of combination.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

like this one? which from what I have seen looks like a lot of fun

Loading Video...

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I would like a blend of both.... take the BotW game world/ mechanics/ mobility, add in about 3 more dungeons. Give each dungeon a specialized item to use throughout the world, and you have a perfect Zelda game.

While I think BotW may be my favorite in the series... I felt it lacked in the gadgets, and discovery within the dungeons you typically find in Zelda games.

All that being said, Hyrule Castle was dope, give me more of that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I prefer the traditional style Zelda games.

The Zelda aesthetic doesn't add much to an Ubisoft-style open world game IMO. BotW was awesome for the first 5 or so hours before I realized what it was.

I've been waiting for the good next main-line Zelda since Twilight Princess. Still waiting.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

As long as it's a Zelda game, I won't complain :)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I definitely prefer the old style as they have more custom designed elements that make them stand out. Breath of the Wild was good but more generic. It didn't feel special like the old games. When it is hard to differentiate playing a Zelda game from Horizon, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, etc., you know something is wrong.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Unless there's a major overhaul in the next one, the traditional style is the only one I want.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

Zelda shouldn't do the same thing for more than 3 games in a row. Ocarina of Time cast a shadow on the series for too long, and I hope they don't make the same mistake with BotW. One, maybe two sequels should follow the template, then move on to something else. Be it a return to it's roots, or a paradigm shift.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@tryit: No, not like that. The fact you posted that game leads me to believe you never even played a zelda game.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

It's hard to say what I prefer. I very much enjoy the more complex and atmospheric dungeon structures of Zelda in the post-Ocarina Era, but the free form exploration of a complex world full of interesting places and things is also excellent and generally closer to Zelda's roots in open world discovery with no rails.

My personal preference for the next game is a hybrid. Copy/paste the BOTW engine and open world design, and spend the extra dev time finding ways to incorporate better structured stories and more elaborate puzzle based dungeons. I love the open world of BOTW but I don't like a lot of the shrine and reward structures.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

New one was terrible, hope it goes back to the old style.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Both please! I actually would love another top down/2d Zelda next.

I also saw a video recently that talked about how the Breath of the Wild team had a dev tool that allowed them to create Zelda areas and dungeons that looked just like the original Zelda. How about take that dev tool and make a "Zelda Maker" game like Mario Maker?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

BotW with traditional dungeons please.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts
@enzyme36 said:

I would like a blend of both.... take the BotW game world/ mechanics/ mobility, add in about 3 more dungeons. Give each dungeon a specialized item to use throughout the world, and you have a perfect Zelda game.

While I think BotW may be my favorite in the series... I felt it lacked in the gadgets, and discovery within the dungeons you typically find in Zelda games.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.

BotW, but with more and better dungeons with their own themes would be awesome.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

I don't mind it being open world.... I want a better "main quest" with full size dungeons, maybe a mini dungeon before again etc.... and stealth sections .. that last more than one a few rooms...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Not for a while. i think they are only scratching the surface with what they did for BOTW and its something i would like to see them explore more.

i also love mini dungeons. the big ones can be good to but when they are not they become a slog in the older games. even if there is the odd bad mini dungeon it's done quickly. that something they should develop further. my only complaint (and it is pretty minor) is that they all used the same tileset.

someone mentioned gadgets above and yeah that should be played with more also but i would caution against quantity. they should only add a gadget if they can think of 100 uses for it in the game. many gadgets in zelda games are just used in a dungeon then maybe once again in the last dungeon.

i do think BOTW is a step in the right direction for the series though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

They should add an option if you want weapon breakage on or off.

If it was a PC release it would be a"must have" mod, right out the door.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
@enzyme36 said:

Ya I feel about the same as this. I like having the weapon breakage, shields, bows, etc, and the variety of enemies (which could be expanded a bit). I would like more dungeons, and perhaps some permanent weapons with specific skills. They can't be strong weapons that a player would chose as their always weapon, but have specific abilities for things aside from killing enemies.

Dungeons need to go more towards the old style with keys and stuff. Keep the shrine layout.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Nope. I like the way BOTW is. I'm all about choice. I like to wander around and make my own fun. BOTW is all about that.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

Technically Breath of the Wild is traditional Zelda. Traditional Zelda, Zelda 1, was open world and not all that linear. The only thing different is the stuff in modern open world games that were added to it. Ocarina of Time is said to be traditional Zelda, but that isn't true.

Still, I think it's a place for both. I do prefer Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but the more the merrier I say.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

I kinda miss the old traditional NES/SNES Zelda games,that was a time I liked Nintendo. Hated every Nintendo console since the 64 and afterwards.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

They should add an option if you want weapon breakage on or off.

If it was a PC release it would be a"must have" mod, right out the door.

Really? Because the last PC centric Elder Scrolls had weapon breakage and I've seen that get defended to a certain "over ported, consolized garbage" in that series.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'd like them to push this open world thing further. No other open world game came close to what Nintendo did in terms of world design and wanderlust. If they are able to combine that level of engaging world design and mechanics with more intricate dungeons, we'd have a shoe in for best game ever created.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Only gripe was the weapon breakage was a badly implemented..as in the durability is waaaaay too short. The rest is fine... I like the "here's the tools" go & do whatever & figure out stuff. :P

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

2D, top down Zelda was never the standard for these games. Most retro fanatics seem to miss that simple fact.

There were only two real 2D, top down Zelda games. Only two. This means it did not manage to become standard for the franchise before Shigeru went 3D with OoT. And after that its been 3D all the way.

So, 3D semi open world is the standard for Zelda.

Heres the funny bit: nobody says 2D is the standard for MGS! Even tho the first two MGS games were 2D! So, whats with the double standard there, retro gamers? If you say 2D is the only real Zelda, then you should also say 2D is the only real MGS. Be consistent.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

I love both so I’m good with either/or, hop between the two, or some kind of combination.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

I fell completely out of Zelda with Ocarina Of Time. I hated that game sooo much. The last Zelda game I really enjoyed was Link To The Past until BOTW came along.

BOTW completely restored my interest in Zelda games. It's easily the best one in the entire series. I think this is the formula that every Zelda game should follow from now on.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I mean, I think there is potential behind BotW and its engine, but it was definitely flawed. The weapon breaking system just didn't work for me. Instead of making weapons have actual differences and things to make them stand out from eachother, they just made weapons break, and at a silly frequency at that; making the weapon variety feel more forced. There's also the issue of the poorly implementated rain mechanic, the samey combat shrines, samey dungeons with samey bosses, alot of the side quests being bland and generic, bad difficulty sclae (how the game starts out very hard to eventually arguably becoming one of the cheesiest Zeldas in the series),

Despite its issues, I enjoyed BotW and had fun with its freedom and options, the secrets and discoveries, the shrine and shrine quests, the story and finding those memory cutscenes, the customization. A good game, but nowhere near as good as many of the classic titles.

I'd be down with Nintendo experimenting more with the BotW formula, and I'd actually like to see them use the game's engine and pull a "Majora's Mask" off with it. That said, I don't want Nintendo to just shove aside the classic 2D or 3D Zelda formulas and toss away what many loved about Zelda just because BotW was super duper popular. The older formulas are still valid and can have great games made with them, and I'm sure they could be expanded and improved upon.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Knowing Nintendo, I'm sure they will go back to original 3D Zelda at some point, just the same way they still make modern top-down Zelda games too. Right now, though, I am more curious to see their next step in the open-world sandbox design. I would like to see the next open-world Zelda have highly established and diversely themed dungeons.