Do we missed Health regen mechanics?

#1 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

Hello friends,

So in last gen. nearly every game uses health regen system. every single one of them. but now not many games use it. Playing Metro and you got hurt. your screen remain red until you used medikit. In RE2 and RE7 you use herbs and spray. In Doom. you pick health and armour. In Prey again you use health and armour. watching Rage 2 footage and i notice there is no health regen instead you have to use syringe where as Rage 1 feature health regen mechanics. and i could go on and on.

after i observed. do any of us missed health regen mechanics and want it back? I personally not. im glad this trend is almost over. what about you friends? lets discuss

#2 Posted by Litchie (23690 posts) -

No. I'm still smart enough to manage my health in games, no need to dumb it down.

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (51140 posts) -

Don't care. Whether I have to use a medkit to speed up to process or not.

#4 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

@Litchie said:

No. I'm still smart enough to manage my health in games, no need to dumb it down.

even PC exclusive like Crysis 1 used to have health regen mechanics.... and that make Crysis too easy even on delta.

#5 Posted by Litchie (23690 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Would be better if it didn't, definitely.

I much prefer seeing my health rather than go after how red my screen is.

#7 Posted by npiet1 (2059 posts) -

I like metro's exodus approach. if your in battle you wont automatically heal until the combat is done and if you need it you can use a medkit.

#8 Posted by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

I definitely prefer non-regenerating health.

Personally I try not to think of it has health, more like your luck running out. A bullet in the gut isn't really something you shake off after a hiding for a few seconds or a magic injection can help you with.

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (32745 posts) -

I prefer to explore the level and hunt for resources.

In a masterpiece like Resident Evil 2, the player could be damaged in multiple ways with herbs having multiple healing effects. Damage was indicated by posture and speed. immersive and directly connected to the gameplay.

Nothing worse than blood spurts all over screen or some dumb ass pulsating effect to keep returning every 2 minutes.

Whoever invented that is a prick.

#10 Posted by Maroxad (15229 posts) -

Depends on the design of the game.

If you have a combat system, that is inherently designed around you taking damage (99% of all RPGs) Health regen is fine. But for most games, I prefer no health regen and having to hunt and scavenge for resources.

@uninspiredcup said:

Nothing worse than blood spurts all over screen or some dumb ass pulsating effect to keep returning every 2 minutes.

Whoever invented that is a prick.

The only times in action games where I like health regen is when they do stuff like that. So annoying. I just want the health regen to get rid of the annoying effects.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (32745 posts) -
@Maroxad said:

The only times in action games where I like health regen is when they do stuff like that. So annoying. I just want the health regen to get rid of the annoying effects.

Manual healing can be just as bad. Precanned healing animations in Far Cry don't really create tension, they're just more irritating.

Pop into a menu, heal, done. Seeing the exact same animation over and over using loony tunes logic isn't immersive.

-

Come to think of it, that has blood effects on top of that.

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43762 posts) -

I wouldn't say I hate health-regen mechanics, but I just love health-management so much more! Adds a whole mini-game to the actual game, a bit of strategy.

Like I'm at 80 health, but I only have a healing kit that gives me +50 health. I'm going into a tough scenario and I just might actually need that extra 20 health...but do I really want to waste 60% of the health pack's capacity? What if I make it out of the scenario with 20 health, and need all 50 of that health kit? OH MAN! THE STRESS OF THIS CHOICE! What a great game!

Also, health-regen really only works imo when it's shield regen. I can at least understand that; oh no, my shield is down, better get behind cover and regenerate. OK I'm good pew pew pew pew!

#13 Edited by DaVillain- (35999 posts) -

Rather a shooter has it or not. I personally don't and never care about Health Regeneration in a game. Finding health packs or Health Regeneration, it doesn't matter to me one way or another. It's the execution that should matter the most. I have played lots of shooters in my lifetime, I adapt to whatever's being used.

#14 Edited by Maroxad (15229 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

Manual healing can be just as bad. Precanned healing animations in Far Cry don't really create tension, they're just more irritating.

Pop into a menu, heal, done. Seeing the exact same animation over and over using loony tunes logic isn't immersive.

-

I fall from a building, take damage, heal myself by removing a bullet wound.

-Far Cry

#15 Edited by SecretPolice (35079 posts) -

The 80's/90's called, they want their health packs back. lol :P

#17 Posted by pelvist (7364 posts) -

No. And I wish they'd stop with the repetitive magic first aid kit animations too.

#18 Edited by watercrack445 (1438 posts) -

No, health regeneration is still in the game. Players just don't like the HUD on their screens. It distracts them.

#19 Posted by sirk1264 (5977 posts) -

Much rather look for health packs than health regen. Adds more to the game. Also makes you approach situations differently in the game if you have to manage your health. I’m glad more games are moving away from health regen.

#20 Posted by Horgen (120143 posts) -

@Maroxad said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

-

-Far Cry

They could add more animations to it, but you will end cycling through 5 different ones or so at best I guess.

#21 Posted by Byshop (19557 posts) -

@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Maroxad said:

-

-Far Cry

They could add more animations to it, but you will end cycling through 5 different ones or so at best I guess.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth had a really novel approach. One of the key tenants of the game was "no UI whatsoever" so you aimed down the sights of your gun with no reticle, you had to count the number of shots you had left, etc. When you got injured, the type of injury determined the exact effect that your characters suffered from as well as how you needed to heal. Blunt force or fall damage would break bones and limit movement speed. Lacerations would cause you to bleed and required sutures. Head impact would make you dizzy, etc. It was like what they did with MGS3 but even more detailed.

-Byshop

#22 Posted by avenger85 (205 posts) -

Depends on the game, resident evil or the last of us works great with Manuel healing.

Gears of war or uncharted without health regen would be terrible imo.

#23 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

@avenger85 said:

the health regen and cover system make those games terrible actually.

masterpieces like max payne had 8 painkillers collected. even in max payne 3 you collect painkillers. that works.

#24 Posted by Sam3231 (2566 posts) -

Like over........errrrrr what was that game called again?

#25 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1397 posts) -

@avenger85 said:

Depends on the game, resident evil or the last of us works great with Manuel healing.

I disagree. Uncharted would have been better if it had been balanced for healing items. The problem with Uncharted is that they expect you to move around and jump and climb during the action but the health regen often makes you too weak. Because you have infinite health and there has to be a drawback, you can be killed in no time at all. It makes higher difficulties annoying.

#27 Edited by warmblur (2131 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Agree sick of the hand holding especially in series that never had them and then dumbed down the game looking at you Battlefield.

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

even PC exclusive like Crysis 1 used to have health regen mechanics.... and that make Crysis too easy even on delta.

But it made sense since you had a Nanosuit but I agree it made it to easy but at least from a story perspective it was logical. It doesn't make sense in most other games though.

#28 Posted by XVision84 (15783 posts) -

I don't like it because it feels cheap and slows the pacing. Instead of managing/strategizing your healing with quick items, you'd just find a place to hide and sit there for a minute to regen.

#29 Posted by Basinboy (13845 posts) -

Regen is proper in some games, but I’m still a fan of a blended mechanic ala Halo CE.

Regen was abused last gen because of the dependence on “monster closet” programmed encounters, but as developers became more accustomed to the memory capabilities of the new machines, encounters became more structured.

#30 Posted by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

Health regen is fine in RPGs and boxing games. But it just dumbs-down shooters and action games.

#31 Posted by avenger85 (205 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: gears is a cover based shooter if you take that away it’s a totally different game.

I do agree with you about Max Payne thst game series is amazing.

#32 Posted by djoffer (1214 posts) -

Mehh depends, if the alternative is blood on my screen or a warning noice/heartbeat until I heal like metro or RE2, then I much prefer health regeneration...

In reality I prefer I like in farcry/doom/half-life where you have to heal yourself.

#33 Posted by enzyme36 (4151 posts) -

Stimpacks /Food/ Water/ First aid kits/ Herbs/ potions

I still enjoy collecting them

#34 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5057 posts) -

@ghosts4ever:

I actually kinda like health regen. It lets me take it easy when I just feel like sitting back.

#35 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5057 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: @ezekiel43:

Health kits would've royally screwed up Uncharted and Gears of War's difficulty. Those games are meant to be turkey shooters. You can't enjoy them guns blazing if you have to constantly heal with items. It breaks the combat flow they created.

Also, health regen isn't "trend," it's a gameplay mechanic. The games that have always relied on them still have them. It works when you use it properly. There's nothing wrong with it.

#36 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79278 posts) -

I like how it's done in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. You regen when not in combat, and you can find health kits while you explore to use them in battle.

#37 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

No, we're definitely better off without gimmicks like that.

#38 Posted by Archangel3371 (27558 posts) -

I really don’t mind either health regen or med packs myself. 🤷‍♂️

#39 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1397 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ghosts4ever: @ezekiel43:

Health kits would've royally screwed up Uncharted and Gears of War's difficulty. Those games are meant to be turkey shooters. You can't enjoy them guns blazing if you have to constantly heal with items. It breaks the combat flow they created.

Also, health regen isn't "trend," it's a gameplay mechanic. The games that have always relied on them still have them. It works when you use it properly. There's nothing wrong with it.

Playing Uncharted like a turkey shooter is boring. I like to run and climb and shoot from the hip. It doesn't have to be played as a cover shooter, even if the shitty health regen system pushes you to. This is how I play Uncharted:

Loading Video...

#40 Posted by PSP107 (17438 posts) -

@Litchie: "I'm still smart enough to manage my health in games,"

We have a genius here

#41 Posted by Yams1980 (3420 posts) -

I'm too lazy to find health or pay attention to it in games. I prefer it to regen. My health regens eventually in real life, i don't see why it shouldn't in games also.