Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

So recently its a trend nowadays that every game either gone open world or get RPG elements or both. lot of action games today getting RPG elements including bulletsponges enemies or enemy health bar in general, leveling system, loot and grinding in games that doesnot even match those. Assassins creed went from pure action games to now full fledge RPG, Far cry now have RPG elements and having bulletsponges enemies. and thats why im glad ubisoft are not working on new splinter cell. otherwise it would have been open world game with RPG elements.

it make me think that these kinda stuff are ruining gaming. i remember RTCW how amazing it was, then machine games first turn it into cinematic game, and now RPG with enemy health bar.

RPG elements make gameplay mediocre. it scarifies good combat and gameplay in a favor of more leveling up, more bulletsponges etc.

I dont understand why developers are so obbsessed with RPG elements. what next? Max payne 4 has RPG elements? or Doom has RPG elements?? like seriously.

so friends, do you think RPG elements along with open world are ruining gaming today?

lets discuss

no, and we're not your friends, sniper.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

just because a game CAN implement a mechanic, doesnt mean it should and i see a lot of games adding elements to a certain genre that doesnt really fit.. i think maybe the developers are getting ahead of themselves and wanting to do too much and have a hard time focusing on one idea?.. a lot of progression though is done for monetary purposes.. make an FPS game with levels to unlock and then make people pay money so they dont have to grind 10x longer than everyone else and cash in

what i get tired of are these games that require a lot of investment of my time into.. like ark, or some other open world games where you have to work at something over a long period of time before you even have a chance to be successful and then for all that progress to be wiped out in an instant at the whim of some troll.. games like that arent hard, theyre frustrating

overall, there are MANY factors to my burned out status on gaming, not just RPG elements in an FPS, but a lot of cross over elements in everything and mechanics that are just poorly thought out

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

A lot of games seem deliberately designed to waste your time. But I blame us gamers, we have decided at some point that games are more valuable if they give us more game time per dollar, we have forgotten about the quality of that time.

I myself prefer a cnematic game that really entertains me for 6 hours rather than an endless grind that keeps me mildly engaged for 120 hrs. I have other things to do with my time as well.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

A RPG elements in game not do make ruining game.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

@nirgal said:

A lot of games seem deliberately designed to waste your time. But I blame us gamers, we have decided at some point that games are more valuable if they give us more game time per dollar, we have forgotten about the quality of that time.

I myself prefer a cnematic game that really entertains me for 6 hours rather than an endless grind that keeps me mildly engaged for 120 hrs. I have other things to do with my time as well.

i just go for multiplayer anymore.. its the only true replayable experience, a good multiplayer game can occupy hundreds of hours of time

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

If an action game has solid mechanics, RPG elements just make the game worse. They only exist to allow developers to not worry about AI, or allowing the player to move fluidly. They reward the player for spending time with the game, rather than for getting good at the game.

RPG elements make a lot more sense in turn-based games and strategy games.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

I think it depends on a lot on the franchise your dealing with, and style of original game, like if RPG elements "make sense" in it.

I would not want RPG elements in DOOM for example, or in Cvilization games, however I like how they (arguably) added rpg elements to racing games when Gran Turismo launched way back when.

Speaking of RPG's, did anyone here ever play the turn-based Sonic the Hedgehog rpg on the DS? Somehow by some miracle it was not only not a travesty but actually kind of a fun little game. (don't know why i mentioned)

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@burntbyhellfire: what mp games are you playing? I haven't played a good one since insurgency like four years ago.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#59 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Kind of agree with OP here. RPG elements often replace skill-based gameplay with grinding.

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

Role playing games need a system before they can be made into action. Traditional RPG that evolved into real time battle engagement are doing this thing where the action elements participate in their fine tuned systems and not the other way around. Action games need to break their gameplay down into battle sequences before they can attempt stats or customization. Panzer Dragoon Saga was an example of how to turn the on-rails shooting of its series into turn based combat or an active time battle system. Hit sponges were never the alternative until people began taking them in though.